We can Wear ABU's Now

Started by wowcap, November 21, 2013, 02:11:47 AM

cnitas

I must be confused. I thought the Air Force Uniform was ABU with tan or sage boots.  Not Black. 
Just like we wear black shoes with the service dress uniform, not white.

The cost issue only exists in the mind.  Just like the BDU, as soon as ABU is authorized, everyone will go out and buy the proper uniform.

We do wear the Air Force uniform dont we?

Look, it costs money to participate in life.  I have 2 kids.  My daughters ice skates alone were $150 and they only lasted a year before she outgrew them-bang, another $150.  Then add overpriced costumes, and then her lessons....it is expensive.  Way more than $25 membership and maybe $100 in uniforms CAP asks.

My son's Karate.... Uniform $30, Sparring gear $125, and that needs replaced as he grows as well.  Not to mention it costs more than an annual CAP membership *each month* to participate.

If you actually talk to parents, CAP is CHEAP!  At  a MINIMUM You get 5 Free airplane rides (check that cost at your nearest flight school), and babysitting at least 1 weekend per month (assuming they are active).  For $25.  Yes for $25.  Dont tell me that they cant buy a pair of boots.

That dog just dont hunt.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Luis R. Ramos

There you go again, trying to move a uniform topic away from uniforms into something completely different!

>:D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 21, 2013, 09:28:29 PMYou make a good argument. But then, why go to ABUs at all? They're more expensive than our current BDUs and BBDUs and don't really meet or contribute to the functionality needed for our missions, mainly GSAR and DR.

You also make an excellent argument.  They serve zero purpose except for service affinity, and even that is partially broken by the tapes and insignia
and applicable to probably 1/2 the membership even allowed to wear them.

As for GSAR, since the camo pattern is literally an attractant, especially in a forested area, fro that perspective they are probably unintentionally better suited then
woodland BDUs, but still silly.

Blue BDUs for all is the obvious, best answer for all members, which means its adoption would never happen.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: cnitas on November 21, 2013, 09:35:29 PMWe do wear the Air Force uniform dont we?

It depends who the "we" is in that sentence - arguably less then 1/2 the adult membership is allowed to wear those combos.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Patterson on November 21, 2013, 09:35:14 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 21, 2013, 09:28:29 PM
...why go to ABUs at all? They're more expensive than our current BDUs and BBDUs and don't really meet or contribute to the functionality needed for our missions, mainly GSAR and DR.

Because BDUs will eventually be more expensive, CAP has worn a modified variation of the parent services field uniform for nearly 70 years, it's a recruiting tool, there will eventually be surplus and my favorite reason: because the organization is known as the Air Force Auxiliary.

And those are the same arguments I would use to drop the black boots in favor of the Air Force sage green boots or, as a more economical and readily available alternative, tan boots.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2013, 09:40:55 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 21, 2013, 09:28:29 PMYou make a good argument. But then, why go to ABUs at all? They're more expensive than our current BDUs and BBDUs and don't really meet or contribute to the functionality needed for our missions, mainly GSAR and DR.

You also make an excellent argument.  They serve zero purpose except for service affinity, and even that is partially broken by the tapes and insignia
and applicable to probably 1/2 the membership even allowed to wear them.

As for GSAR, since the camo pattern is literally an attractant, especially in a forested area, fro that perspective they are probably unintentionally better suited then
woodland BDUs, but still silly.

Blue BDUs for all is the obvious, best answer for all members, which means its adoption would never happen.

+1

RiverAux

If someone wants to argue that the AF wears them so we should, I'm fine with that.  But, you're not going to convince me that they look bad. 

wowcap

Quote from: vento on November 21, 2013, 07:20:10 PM
Quote from: wowcap on November 21, 2013, 02:11:47 AM

Apparently on Nov. 19th the The 43d Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron hosted a retreat ceremony at Pope Army Airfield N.C. and I noticed a uniform that caught my eye. And had to share it.  And I am lost for words... What do you think?

One person not following the official CAP rules does not make it ok for the rest of us to follow suit. It is not yet authorized for the general membership and that is the end of it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Patterson

How come this guy gets a free pass in regard to his HUGE uniform violation, yet when someone wears the wrong color t-shirt everyone here is outraged? 

Furthermore, the Chaplain Corps guidelines are extremely specific when it comes to CAP Chaplains assisting any military service.  In fact, the Air Force had the "CAP Chaplains will only wear Air Force style uniforms" wording added to the regulation adopted following this very same incident a few years back!

Майор Хаткевич

This is why we can't have nice things.

Panache

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 21, 2013, 09:44:43 PM

Quote from: Patterson on November 21, 2013, 09:35:14 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 21, 2013, 09:28:29 PM
...why go to ABUs at all? They're more expensive than our current BDUs and BBDUs and don't really meet or contribute to the functionality needed for our missions, mainly GSAR and DR.

Because BDUs will eventually be more expensive, CAP has worn a modified variation of the parent services field uniform for nearly 70 years, it's a recruiting tool, there will eventually be surplus and my favorite reason: because the organization is known as the Air Force Auxiliary.

And those are the same arguments I would use to drop the black boots in favor of the Air Force sage green boots or, as a more economical and readily available alternative, tan boots.

They're not going to allow sage or tan boots for one simple reason:  BBDUs.

Sage or tan boots look terribad with Blue BDUs, and there's no way the NHQ is going to say "Okay, you'll need two separate pairs of boots for your field uniforms now; sage (or tan) for your ABUs, and black for your BBDUs."

And this isn't even taking the blue "CAP-distinctive" jumpsuit and flight suit into consideration, which would also look atrocious with the green/tan boots.

Майор Хаткевич

Pft. You think they care what the fatties wear? Have you seen the G/W service coat equivalent?

Panache

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 22, 2013, 04:35:51 AM
Pft. You think they care what the fatties wear? Have you seen the G/W service coat equivalent?

You mean this horrid thing?

(shudders)

a2capt

I think he means the realtor looking garb.

tribalelder

On sage vs black boots as an a cost accommodation for the BBDU wearers-

One big appeal to BBDU is boots are not required- as with the smurfsuit of old, you can wear your velcro closure old guy shoes.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

sarmed1

Quote from: Panache on November 22, 2013, 04:28:26 AM
They're not going to allow sage or tan boots for one simple reason:  BBDUs.

Sage or tan boots look terribad with Blue BDUs, and there's no way the NHQ is going to say "Okay, you'll need two separate pairs of boots for your field uniforms now; sage (or tan) for your ABUs, and black for your BBDUs."

That makes almost no sense.  I dont know of many people that have both uniforms.  (or if they do can wear both, ie had BDU's dont meet HW/grooming, now have BBDU)

So if you have ABU's: green if you have BBDU's: black.  (or sage flight suit green or black..... Blue flightsuit/jumpsuit black)  Its not that complicated.

mk

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

vento

So, I was trying to visualize what you guys are discussing. Nobody said the color of the T-Shirt that we will be asked to wear. My guess is that it could be Black. With some bad photoshop, I came back with the attached picture. Is this what everybody had in mind?

Eclipse

That poor unsuspecting Airman has had his uniform tore up so many different ways.

People have been editing that photo for CAP discussions since about 2006.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

All the energy some of you guys use to discuss uniform issues, you could use it instead to have one or two more ES specialties under your belt... and you would get it / them in under two months!

Flyer

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2013, 12:54:10 AM
That poor unsuspecting Airman has had his uniform tore up so many different ways.

People have been editing that photo for CAP discussions since about 2006.

IIRC he is a Captain, and you were one of the first to use him for a CAP mockup back in the day.