We can Wear ABU's Now

Started by wowcap, November 21, 2013, 02:11:47 AM

RiverAux

Why in the world would black boots look bad with this uniform? 

Luis R. Ramos

It appears that some think because the ABU is light color the black boots are too, well... hold on to your seat, black!

I think it is more of a case where they used the combo for a long time and are unwilling to learn a new way of doing things...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

My next question is why the OP is trolling a USAF Facebook page for CAP uniform issues.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: RiverAux on November 21, 2013, 08:35:18 PM

I don't know. I think I would rather wear tan boots, which the Air Force allowed with ABUs for a while and the other services have adopted for their combat uniforms.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 21, 2013, 08:39:37 PM
It appears that some think because the ABU is light color the black boots are too, well... hold on to your seat, black!

I think it is more of a case where they used the combo for a long time and are unwilling to learn a new way of doing things...

Flyer

The only services still wearing black boots are those with dark colored uniforms (Navy Working Uniform, Coast Guard Operational Dress Uniform). Everyone else, except for the Air Force, wears tan boots with their combat/battle dress uniforms.

Eclipse

Tan UGGS are nice too, all the girls in my son's middle school wear them...

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

^ Those come in black too, you know. ;)

Luis R. Ramos

Reminding me of the UGGG boots is painful to me...

My girlfriend used to ask them as a Christmas or birthday gift...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Yep, seen the Navy boys 'round here wearing them.  Look comfy.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Just because the services use tan or sage green boots with their uniforms, do we need to use tan or sage green as well?

This reminds me of a phrase learned a long time ago... Monkey see, monkey do!

We, CAP, do not have to do everything like the services... ABU is correct, with our insignias and black boots!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Stonewall

Because looks count. 
Serving since 1987.

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Storm Chaser

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 21, 2013, 09:04:22 PM
Just because the services use tan or sage green boots with their uniforms, do we need to use tan or sage green as well?

This reminds me of a phrase learned a long time ago... Monkey see, monkey do!

We, CAP, do not have to do everything like the services... ABU is correct, with our insignias and black boots!

Flyer

The same argument can be said about the ABUs. If cost is a factor, then think about this. Our supplies of used/donated black boots will eventually be replaced with used/donated sage green/tan boots. If the argument to go to ABUs is that our supplies of BDUs are becoming limited, then it also makes economic sense to move to those as well. If the reason we want ABUs is to look more like our parent service, then it also make sense to drop the black boots.

Don't get me wrong. I like black boots and think they're easier to maintain (if you don't mind shining them, which I don't). But the arguments above are still valid.

Luis R. Ramos

Look like does not mean look exactly alike...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on November 21, 2013, 09:04:31 PM

Because looks count.

They do, but so does functionality and cost, which should be the #1 & 2 considerations for CAP uniforms, with functionality being the #1.

As I said, the uniforms already going to be "broken" with the incorrect tapes and full-color insignia.  No one is going to see or notice the boots.

Same goes for blousing them - unnecessary and another affectation for CAP members (and really anyone who isn't actually in knee-deep brush).

90% of our missions and everything non-ES could be done in decent street shoes.  Joking aside those UGGS would actually be more appropriate for CAP
the desert or sage combat boots you can't wear anywhere else.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Angus link=topic=18201.msg329960#msg329960
I know the AF has authorized certain groups to continue to wear the black boots because of the work they do.  So I'm sure they could do the same for us.  Or even give seniors the choice.  Some of those Big-Lots like stores aren't in every market.

Black boots are no longer authorized with ABU regardless or AFSC they haven't been since the sage leather has been availible.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2013, 09:18:38 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on November 21, 2013, 09:04:31 PM

Because looks count.

They do, but so does functionality and cost, which should be the #1 & 2 considerations for CAP uniforms, with functionality being the #1.

As I said, the uniforms already going to be "broken" with the incorrect tapes and full-color insignia.  No one is going to see or notice the boots.

Same goes for blousing them - unnecessary and another affectation for CAP members (and really anyone who isn't actually in knee-deep brush).

90% of our missions and everything non-ES could be done in decent street shoes.  Joking aside those UGGS would actually be more appropriate for CAP
the desert or sage combat boots you can't wear anywhere else.

You make a good argument. But then, why go to ABUs at all? They're more expensive than our current BDUs and BBDUs and don't really meet or contribute to the functionality needed for our missions, mainly GSAR and DR.

Luis R. Ramos

Will we be able to distinguish leather mold in our sage green leather boots...?

:-\

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Garibaldi

Somewhere, sometime in the future, the entire idea of us having ABUs and AF style uniforms will be trashed and we will go to the BBDU and corporate, as a complete and separate entity from the AF, but with oversight by USAF.

*opens envelope*

What is the craziest idea anyone has ever had floating in their head and had the temerity to bring up on CAPTalk?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Patterson

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 21, 2013, 09:28:29 PM
...why go to ABUs at all? They're more expensive than our current BDUs and BBDUs and don't really meet or contribute to the functionality needed for our missions, mainly GSAR and DR.

Because BDUs will eventually be more expensive, CAP has worn a modified variation of the parent services field uniform for nearly 70 years, it's a recruiting tool, there will eventually be surplus and my favorite reason: because the organization is known as the Air Force Auxiliary.