We can Wear ABU's Now

Started by wowcap, November 21, 2013, 02:11:47 AM

a2capt

Well, those images are in fact on the The 43d's Facebook gallery, so either someone is really skilled at the greatest practical joke, or a uniform "test" "experiment" "thing" just got photographed. If it's a practical joke, it's clever, and well slid-in.

In 1974-76, Chaplain Bobbey, then Capt. was with the 96th Ordnance Company in Herborn, Germany. Perhaps put in a full career with the Air Force and is now with CAP, no stranger to being around the Air Force, and is supplementing the Air Force Chaplain Corps, as there really is a shortage of chaplains.

Brad

Quote from: a2capt on November 21, 2013, 03:42:51 AMIn 1974-76, Chaplain Bobbey, then Capt. was with the 96th Ordnance Company in Herborn, Germany. Perhaps put in a full career with the Air Force and is now with CAP, no stranger to being around the Air Force, and is supplementing the Air Force Chaplain Corps, as there really is a shortage of chaplains.

Maybe there's a AFI or something on the USAF side that allows him to wear the ABUs when supplementing, same as Navy Corpsmen have the option to wear some of the the USMC uniforms when attached to a Marine unit.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

a2capt

Perhaps .. though with all the years of ABUs in service, and since BDUs have been past the sunset date for the Air Force, I bet we'd have seen that before this.

..and those ABU threads would be full of "well, the Chaplains can wear them..", bits.

Perhaps..

Eclipse

This is not the first time we have seen a CAP Chaplain augmenting wearing the service's uniform - that doesn't make it right, and
my guess is that this visibility will fix the situation one way or another.

If you not how worn and mis-matched the insignia are, I would guess they've been in use for quite a while.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

As there have been no reports that the CAPTalk server have exploded yet, it's safe to assume that the new 39-1 hasn't been released.

So, no, you can't wear ABU's unless you go an enlist in the USAF.  Not yet, at least.

That being said...

I tend to agree with Eclipse that it's a CAP Chaplain augmenting USAF.  Considering what we've heard is that (1) we're keeping the black boots and (2) the background on our tapes and grade insignia will be going to a shade of navy blue, I'm willing to bet real money this isn't a uniform variant is anywhere in the new 39-1.

Stonewall

Black boots with ABUs?  Disgusting!

Looks like it's polo shirt for me from now on if this goes through.  Bad enough we're going to ABUs, but black boots?  I've seen this before and it looks HORRIBLE.  Worse than the maroon epaulets even.
Serving since 1987.

Panache

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much Stonewall.  Realize that "what we've heard" does not equal "what we know".  It's just talk and rumors now.

Save your ire until the new 39-1 is released.  ;)

Slim

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2013, 05:01:35 AM
This is not the first time we have seen a CAP Chaplain augmenting wearing the service's uniform - that doesn't make it right, and
my guess is that this visibility will fix the situation one way or another.

If you not how worn and mis-matched the insignia are, I would guess they've been in use for quite a while.

I first saw it in 2008, when my encampment benefited from the services of a CAP chaplain from a neighboring wing, who was also augmenting as the chaplain for a guard combat comm. squadron on base at the same time.  Right, wrong, or indifferent, when I asked him why he was wearing ABUs with CAP insignia, he told me that it was ok'd by NHQ only while serving as an augmentee.  When he showed up to do anything with us-like teach a CD class, he was in a proper uniform.

Again, right or wrong, and without any way to verify his story, I got him and his questionable uniform out of the AO quick, fast and in a hurry.  Seeing this, under very similar circumstances, tends to lend a bit of credence to that.  But who really knows.

Slim

a2capt

Hmm... well, then that would make me think that augmentation happens .. very little.
At least in this sense.

Angus

Quote from: Stonewall on November 21, 2013, 05:16:23 AM
Black boots with ABUs?  Disgusting!

Looks like it's polo shirt for me from now on if this goes through.  Bad enough we're going to ABUs, but black boots?  I've seen this before and it looks HORRIBLE.  Worse than the maroon epaulets even.

What I was told by someone who was on the committee, the reason for the black boots is to keep costs down for the cadets.  With most of them going through growth spurts the feeling was why pay the high fee for the sage green boots just to grow out of them in a month? 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

NIN

Quote from: Angus on November 21, 2013, 01:57:09 PM
What I was told by someone who was on the committee, the reason for the black boots is to keep costs down for the cadets.  With most of them going through growth spurts the feeling was why pay the high fee for the sage green boots just to grow out of them in a month?

I think, and I could be completely wrong, that black boots with ABUs will be like White T-shirts with BDUs was: an interim measure that is eventually found to be in need of adjustment.

Also, the local "Big Lots-style" store here as various boots & shoes from Wellco in various sizes and colors (black, jungle, desert & green) for $20-25 a pair.

;)

The costs will eventually come down.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Al Sayre

Why not split the difference and wear the green jungle boots with the ABU  >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Panache

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 21, 2013, 05:24:20 PM

a2capt

Now that would be a crock of ..

Garibaldi

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 21, 2013, 05:24:20 PM

Why not just stipulate (seems to be one of my favorite words now) that black and sage are authorized? As well as hot pink for female cadets and seniors, patent leather for those special formal events?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

OK - so the last proposal maintains the NASCAR-esque quality of the field uniform, but you guys are concerned that the "boots don't look right?".

Black are cheap and easy to maintain - buy the correct ones and you don't even have to shine them, not to mention they can be worn with regular
clothes and no one will think you're trying to making a "statement".

Seriously, you guys prefer the UGGS to "real" boots?

BTW - you're welcome, because none you who have read this post will ever see those boots the same way again, and they will
forever be called "UGGS" in your mind's eye.  Trying to not think about this will only make you think about it more!

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Quote from: wowcap on November 21, 2013, 02:11:47 AM

Apparently on Nov. 19th the The 43d Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron hosted a retreat ceremony at Pope Army Airfield N.C. and I noticed a uniform that caught my eye. And had to share it.  And I am lost for words... What do you think?

One person not following the official CAP rules does not make it ok for the rest of us to follow suit. It is not yet authorized for the general membership and that is the end of it.

Angus

Quote from: NIN on November 21, 2013, 03:20:03 PM
Quote from: Angus on November 21, 2013, 01:57:09 PM

I think, and I could be completely wrong, that black boots with ABUs will be like White T-shirts with BDUs was: an interim measure that is eventually found to be in need of adjustment.

Also, the local "Big Lots-style" store here as various boots & shoes from Wellco in various sizes and colors (black, jungle, desert & green) for $20-25 a pair.

;)

The costs will eventually come down.

I know the AF has authorized certain groups to continue to wear the black boots because of the work they do.  So I'm sure they could do the same for us.  Or even give seniors the choice.  Some of those Big-Lots like stores aren't in every market. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Peeka

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2013, 07:13:52 PM
BTW - you're welcome, because none you who have read this post will ever see those boots the same way again, and they will
forever be called "UGGS" in your mind's eye.  Trying to not think about this will only make you think about it more!

Garibaldi

I post one anigif and the world explodes...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things