We can Wear ABU's Now

Started by wowcap, November 21, 2013, 02:11:47 AM

TexasCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on November 25, 2013, 01:04:52 AM
Quote from: DennisH on November 25, 2013, 12:20:55 AM
As usual I see the welcoming attitudes , the warm regards and the gentle encouragements of some and the childish boys club attitudes in others. If these attitudes are what cadets are exposed to then the program is in more trouble that some have pointed out. Sme folks need to get over themselves and they know who they are.

No one has been childish.  If fact present pain, the internet is not somewhere to spend time.
The light of day and straight talk is what cadets should be hearing more in this day of bubble-wrapped kids and PC-laden speech.

Uninformed opinions from people with no skin in the game are not welcome.

I think you are both right. Some people need to develop a thicker skin, and sometimes people tend to dogpile on others. Just my two cents.

DennisH

As usual I see the welcoming attitudes , the warm regards and the gentle encouragements of some and the childish boys club attitudes in others. If these attitudes are what cadets are exposed to then the program is in more trouble that some have pointed out. Sme folks need to get over themselves and they know who they are.

No one has been childish.  If fact present pain, the internet is not somewhere to spend time.
The light of day and straight talk is what cadets should be hearing more in this day of bubble-wrapped kids and PC-laden speech.

And my point is proven, thank you.
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Assistant Testing Officer
Supply Officer
From an old school 1SG after being told he need to be more PC to conform to the new army:
I've been a PFC three times in my career. What makes you think that I'm afraid to become one again.

DennisH

Quote from: TexasCadet on November 25, 2013, 01:10:00 AM

I think you are both right. Some people need to develop a thicker skin, and sometimes people tend to dogpile on others. Just my two cents.

Having a thick skin serves many folks well, the dogpile disease is prevalent on many web sites when you get a number of members that have been contributing for a long time. The problem with the those that know it all is that they alienate new members, discourage new ideas regardless if they are not new to everyone else and some seem to point out why any new idea won't work based upon previous failures.
That old saying that their are no stupid questions has some basis in fact when you have a wide audience. Those that have lost their prospective tend to attack others just because new folks bring up ideas and suggestions even though they have been discussed to death by earlier members. When as sight reaches that stage it doesn't really serve its original purpose which is to have open discussions, share knowleged and guid other new members down the path hopefully avoiding some of the mistakes that we all make.
As for me I'd don't get butt hurt or hurt feelings, I only have one feeling left and I can't remember where I left it, I blame old age and prior service brainwashing.
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer
From an old school 1SG after being told he need to be more PC to conform to the new army:
I've been a PFC three times in my career. What makes you think that I'm afraid to become one again.

TexasCadet

Quote from: DennisH on November 25, 2013, 01:31:10 AM
Quote from: TexasCadet on November 25, 2013, 01:10:00 AM

Having a thick skin serves many folks well, the dogpile disease is prevalent on many web sites when you get a number of members that have been contributing for a long time. The problem with the those that know it all is that they alienate new members, discourage new ideas regardless if they are not new to everyone else and some seem to point out why any new idea won't work based upon previous failures.
That old saying that their are no stupid questions has some basis in fact when you have a wide audience. Those that have lost their prospective tend to attack others just because new folks bring up ideas and suggestions even though they have been discussed to death by earlier members. When as sight reaches that stage it doesn't really serve its original purpose which is to have open discussions, share knowleged and guid other new members down the path hopefully avoiding some of the mistakes that we all make.
As for me I'd don't get butt hurt or hurt feelings, I only have one feeling left and I can't remember where I left it, I blame old age and prior service brainwashing.

+0.5

abdsp51

I will have to disagree on some aspects.  Unfortunately real life is blunt, to the point, not sugar coated and just down right mean.  Kids need a thick skin and unfortunately this social view of everyone is a winner and gets a trophy is counterproductive. 

There is discouraging new ideas and it does happen, but that is life.  New members being alienated, shunned or leaving especially on this board from what I have seen has been based on how that new member has acted and the whole sense of self entitlement.  That and the view of my opinion matters irregardless if I have a dog in the fight or not is what stirs the reactions seen.   

I debated with another member on AKO when they had their blogs about allowing soldiers to carry to protect themselves and others in the aftermath of the Ft Hood shooting in 2009.  This party knew nothing of the law, use of force, and had never been in a position to take another's life. 

New ideas from new members and those in their lane are readily respected and looked into in all walks of life.  It's when you get those who know nothing about an organization or process and doesn't stay in their is when issues arrive.  And unfortunately sometimes it takes many people saying the same thing for it to sink in. 

There is dog-piling and then there is people saying the same-thing to the same person who just doesn't/didn't get it.  Its like mentor-ship you can only try so long before they get it, accept it, or move on.

Panache

TexasCadet

Quote from: Panache on November 25, 2013, 02:03:59 AM
Quote from: TexasCadet on November 25, 2013, 01:35:01 AM
+0.5

Only .5?

Man, this is a tough crowd.

I agreed with part of what he said. (To be more accurate, I should have put down 0.5631794269963157854468545678995367532. ;D)

Storm Chaser

Quote from: TexasCadet on November 25, 2013, 02:08:25 AM
I agreed with part of what he said. (To be more accurate, I should have put down 0.5631794269963157854468545678995367532. ;D)

Wouldn't that be 0.6 then?

Panache

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 25, 2013, 02:14:44 AM

Like I said:  tough crowd.

TexasCadet

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 25, 2013, 02:14:44 AM

I hate rounding.

KyCAP

Geesh.. I step away for two years and it's like it was yesterday... 

:D
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

DennisH

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 25, 2013, 02:00:48 AM

I will have to disagree on some aspects.  Unfortunately real life is blunt, to the point, not sugar coated and just down right mean.  Kids need a thick skin and unfortunately this social view of everyone is a winner and gets a trophy is counterproductive. 

There is discouraging new ideas and it does happen, but that is life.  New members being alienated, shunned or leaving especially on this board from what I have seen has been based on how that new member has acted and the whole sense of self entitlement.  That and the view of my opinion matters irregardless if I have a dog in the fight or not is what stirs the reactions seen.   

I debated with another member on AKO when they had their blogs about allowing soldiers to carry to protect themselves and others in the aftermath of the Ft Hood shooting in 2009.  This party knew nothing of the law, use of force, and had never been in a position to take another's life. 

New ideas from new members and those in their lane are readily respected and looked into in all walks of life.  It's when you get those who know nothing about an organization or process and doesn't stay in their is when issues arrive.  And unfortunately sometimes it takes many people saying the same thing for it to sink in. 

There is dog-piling and then there is people saying the same-thing to the same person who just doesn't/didn't get it.  Its like mentor-ship you can only try so long before they get it, accept it, or move on.

While yes real life is blunt, it's more productive to have a crawl, walk and run to get maximum  return on investment. The dog in the fight, skin in the game mindset disregards actual helpfully information which may not be totally in sink with CAP but you can get a few nuggets of usefull info either way.
I won't get into that mess that is AKO let alone that waste of bandwidth know as the AKO forum. As for the dog piling is seems in. Opinion right or wrong that it's the usual suspects with the snarky, smug and self righteous mindset.  Mentor ship requires actually giving a rats a$$ about mentoring and producing a quality recruit.
While I am what we used to call a Cherry as far as CAP is concerned I am open to learning and always seek new knowledge I also have decades of experience in a few skills that are applicable in CAP. I can also spot BS artist from a mile away.
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer

Mustang

Quote from: Patterson on November 21, 2013, 09:35:14 PM
... and my favorite reason: because the organization is known as the Air Force Auxiliary.
We're now "an" auxiliary, on occasion. Most of the time, we are not.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

lordmonar

Quote from: Mustang on November 25, 2013, 05:18:14 AM
Quote from: Patterson on November 21, 2013, 09:35:14 PM
... and my favorite reason: because the organization is known as the Air Force Auxiliary.
We're now "an" auxiliary, on occasion. Most of the time, we are not.
NO..NO...NO....NO......we are ALWAYS the Offical Auxillary of the USAF.   We are only sometimes an instrument of the government and covered by Federal Tort Protection and Federal Workers Compensations on occasion.

Let's not continue that myth.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sarmed1

QuoteWhile yes real life is blunt, it's more productive to have a crawl, walk and run to get maximum  return on investment.
Following the posts in questions there hasnt been a crawl, walk run; thats the point of butt hurt apparently going on. In this instance an accurate analogy would be listen/learn, question, suggest.  No matter what the organization, I have seen 0 (paid or volunteer) that gracefully and happily accept the blunt criticism and suggestions of change from the new guy.... it doesnt matter if that new guy is the peon or the CEO (or anywhere in between), even if the assessment is accurate.  CAP in generally (and especially this forum) is no different.

my 2 cents

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

DennisH

Quote from: sarmed1 on November 25, 2013, 01:43:48 PM
QuoteWhile yes real life is blunt, it's more productive to have a crawl, walk and run to get maximum  return on investment.
Following the posts in questions there hasnt been a crawl, walk run; thats the point of butt hurt apparently going on. In this instance an accurate analogy would be listen/learn, question, suggest.  No matter what the organization, I have seen 0 (paid or volunteer) that gracefully and happily accept the blunt criticism and suggestions of change from the new guy.... it doesnt matter if that new guy is the peon or the CEO (or anywhere in between), even if the assessment is accurate.  CAP in generally (and especially this forum) is no different.

my 2 cents

mk

That why I can't understand a vollunteer organization going out of its way to alienate folks for daring to challenge the status quo. While I do believe many of the issue can be traced to that saying " a solution looking for a problem " change will come both good and bad and you either adjust or get run over.
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer

VNY

Quote from: CyBorg on November 24, 2013, 05:28:05 PMHowever, I know of one 1st Lt who still has the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" tape on his BDU's.  I've also seen one at Group level with the MAJCOM patch with the "U.S." initalling.

I still see numerous flight suits that still have the round seal on them.  In most of these cases the uniform complied with regulations at the time it was assembled and then never updated.

AlphaSigOU

Tick tock... can't stop the lock clock!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Storm Chaser

Quote from: DennisH on November 25, 2013, 02:59:04 PM
Quote from: sarmed1 on November 25, 2013, 01:43:48 PM

my 2 cents

mk

That why I can't understand a vollunteer organization going out of its way to alienate folks for daring to challenge the status quo. While I do believe many of the issue can be traced to that saying " a solution looking for a problem " change will come both good and bad and you either adjust or get run over.

I'm sure the majority of us here in CAP Talk and CAP in general do not wish to alienate anyone. For that reason, I'm trying to make sense of your last few posts.

Can you please provide a specific example from this tread to what you're referring to as "the status quo" in CAP? Can you also give a specific example in which someone was "alienated" for challenging this status quo you refer to? Finally, can you clarify what was the "challenge" made that caused this individual to allegedly being alienated?

Thank you.