Uniform(s) worn most frequently?

Started by Xasmoth1650, October 25, 2013, 04:08:24 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Elioron on October 25, 2013, 08:30:01 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 08:24:10 PM
So...if you had a Black Tie wedding, and I showed up in my work cargo pants with oil stains on them, that's all good with you?
If I had a black tie wedding, wanted you there, and knew that you didn't have appropriate clothes I would have three options: Make the dress code something you have, get you the clothes, or tell you you're not worth either of these options.

But you told me up front that I need Black tie to make it.

AlphaSigOU

Tick, tock... can't stop the lock!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Luis R. Ramos

A member that wears a polo when the commander says he wants otherwise points to a loose cannon, one that will always do what he wants no matter the instructions.

Once I was at a bivouac in a semi-rural area. Westchester County College, New York. Wooded area with some trails. A new member was told to move to a spot in a trail as he was to be a "victim" we were going to search for. He knew that most of us were in training and the commander said specifically "not to make it difficult."

The guy decided to climb a 20-foot promontory, button his BDU shirt all the way up, put on his cap, and face the hill away from the trail. Took us two hours beyond the lunch time. Four hours total. And we never found him. In the afternoon after lunch again same guy was told to set a distress beacon near a trail. So again he knew better. Most of us had never done an ELT search either. We never found that beacon. Because we were told to stay near the trail by the commander.

The mission "was done." He should have been sent packing the first instance. He was not. The mission "was done" and followed by a lot of frustration, angry sentiments, and complaints from hungry cadets and senior members. The UOD issue is one way the commander can decide if those guys pay attention and will not do "their own thing."

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

abdsp51

Approved and equivalent or not if the CC/Director states a UofD and someone shows up without it they can be sent home.  When I planned activities I stated specifically the UofD and emphasized no deviations would be allowed.  I do not want or need someone coming to an activity who can/will not follow the instructions put out.  If I specify Blues or G/W then that is the UoD not the polo and if someone shows up wearing one and I send them home that's on them not me. 

jeders

Quote from: JC004 on October 25, 2013, 08:26:58 PM

This needs to be posted as the first response to every uniform thread.  ;D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Elioron

Quote from: flyer333555 on October 25, 2013, 08:33:05 PM
A member that wears a polo when the commander says he wants otherwise points to a loose cannon, one that will always do what he wants no matter the instructions.

Once I was at a bivouac in a semi-rural area. Westchester County College, New York. Wooded area with some trails. A new member was told to move to a spot in a trail as he was to be a "victim" we were going to search for. He knew that most of us were in training and the commander said specifically "not to make it difficult."

The guy decided to climb a 20-foot promontory, button his BDU shirt all the way up, put on his cap, and face the hill away from the trail. Took us two hours beyond the lunch time. Four hours total. And we never found him. In the afternoon after lunch again same guy was told to set a distress beacon near a trail. So again he knew better. Most of us had never done an ELT search either. We never found that beacon. Because we were told to stay near the trail by the commander.

The mission "was done." He should have been sent packing the first instance. He was not. The mission "was done" and followed by a lot of frustration, angry sentiments, and complaints from hungry cadets and senior members. The UOD issue is one way the commander can decide if those guys pay attention and will not do "their own thing."

Flyer
So wearing something that NHQ says is fine is equivalent to intentionally derailing the mission.  Gotcha.

I think sending someone home for wearing an NHQ equivalent uniform is more like telling a short person to get something off a high shelf, and sending them home when they can't.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

Luis R. Ramos

If the short person is not smart enough to get a ladder, a box, or ask another person to  cup his/her hands to reach the higher shelf, he needs to go home as he does not have the brains to do the mission!

And NHQ is not present at the local place to see why there is a need for the UOD not including the polo...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

arajca

Back to the OP's question - it depends on the unit.

For example, at some senior squadrons the UOD is "Clothes". You'll usually see the commander and a couple staff members in uniform and maybe some others in flight suits if they finished flying just before the meeting. While at many cadet and composite squadrons, the BDU/BBDU is most often worn with the blues/aviator worn once a month, and some alternate between the service and BDU/BBDU for meetings.

At exercises/missions, it depends on what you're doing. Most aircrew wear flightsuits. Ground teams wear BDU/BBDUs. UDF are a split between BDU/BBDU and golf shirt. Mission staff are migrating toward the golf shirt for seniors and bdus for cadets.

Майор Хаткевич

Actually, its more akin to the short person going across the street and getting something from a different shelf. Blues and Equivalent are required. Polos are not.

johnnyb47

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 08:53:37 PM
Actually, its more akin to the short person going across the street and getting something from a different shelf. Blues and Equivalent or G&W are required. Polos, which are only equivalent when allowed by the commander are not.

FTFY
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Elioron

Actually, its more akin to the short person going across the street and getting something from a different shelf. Blues and Equivalent are required. Polos are not.
Per 39-1 polo is equivalent.

Some of the responses in this discussion (and others) cause me to question why I should continue in CAP.  Then I remember the dedicated men and women I actually work with and the good we actually accomplish.  Still, it's not a good thing when I'm thankful I don't have to deal with people that belong to the same organization in real life.

Well, time to put on my polo shirt and get ready to teach a weekend ES class.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019

Elioron

Quote from: johnnyb47 on October 25, 2013, 08:59:03 PM
Actually, its more akin to the short person going across the street and getting something from a different shelf. Blues and Equivalent or G&W (he had it right) are required. Polos, which are only equivalent when allowed unless specifically disallowed by the commander are not.

FTFY

FTFY
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019

johnnyb47

Quote from: Elioron on October 25, 2013, 09:04:15 PM
Actually, its more akin to the short person going across the street and getting something from a different shelf. Blues and Equivalent or G&W (he had it right) are required. Polos, which are only equivalent when allowed unless specifically disallowed by the commander are not.

FTFY

FTFY

Negative.
Members are required to own (at somepoint in their CAP career as I have yet been unable to precisely determine) the MBU.
The Minimum Basic Uniform.
This is either the Aviator shirt and grey slacks combo OR
The blues uniform.

That is clearly spelled out at the beginning of CAPM 39-1.

The polo is an optional uniform and completely defined as such in the same section; equivalent only when not disallowed.
It's there in black and white.
Capt
Communications Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Actually, its more akin to the short person going across the street and getting something from a different shelf. Blues and Equivalent or G&W are required. Polos, which are only equivalent when allowed by the commander are not.

FTFY

There's my bias. Got tired of typing G/Ws on a cell phone. In no possible scenario is a polo equivalent for anything you would wear blues/whites to look professional.

FTFY

FTFY

Tie yourself in knots all you want. Enjoy being the goober at a wing conference, promotion ceremony, banquet, etc.

I bet you don't work in the corporate world. Or maybe you did? Until you showed up to a business meeting in the company polo and khakis instead of a business suit?

johnnyb47

QuoteThere's my bias. Got tired of typing G/Ws on a cell phone. In no possible scenario is a polo equivalent for anything you would wear blues/whites to look professional.
Your bias does not equal regulation.

The Polo being in the table of equivalencies kind of does.... but again... only when not disallowed. :)
Capt
Communications Officer

Elioron

Quote from: johnnyb47 on October 25, 2013, 09:07:35 PM

FTFY

FTFY

Negative.
Members are required to own (at somepoint in their CAP career as I have yet been unable to precisely determine) the MBU.
The Minimum Basic Uniform.
This is either the Aviator shirt and grey slacks combo OR
The blues uniform.

That is clearly spelled out at the beginning of CAPM 39-1.

The polo is an optional uniform and completely defined as such in the same section; equivalent only when not disallowed.
It's there in black and white.
I think we're saying the same thing on that.

There is no practical reason to disallow it.  To disallow a NHQ approved uniform serves no mission purpose except under very rare occurrences.  To dismiss it as a matter of course is irresponsible.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Elioron on October 25, 2013, 09:22:02 PM
There is no practical reason to disallow it.  To disallow a NHQ approved uniform serves no mission purpose except under very rare occurrences.  To dismiss it as a matter of course is irresponsible.

All hands meetings, promotion ceremonies, banquets, professional PD courses, conferences. Plenty of reason to not allow polos in certain instances.

Elioron

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 09:26:56 PM
Quote from: Elioron on October 25, 2013, 09:22:02 PM

All hands meetings, promotion ceremonies, banquets, professional PD courses, conferences. Plenty of reason to not allow polos in certain instances.
FTFY

Ceremonies and banquets are rare, and you might not even need to restrict them then.

Please explain how being in a polo makes someone unable to listen to a presentation, engage in a discussion, or file paperwork.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Elioron on October 25, 2013, 09:31:10 PM
Ceremonies and banquets are rare, and you might not even need to restrict them then.

::) Got it.

Please explain how being in a polo makes someone unable to listen to a presentation, engage in a discussion, or file paperwork.

Just based on the above, I can see this is something that will probably make no sense to you, ever. No point in wasting more breath on the subject.

Elioron

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 09:34:38 PM

::) Got it.

Just based on the above, I can see this is something that will probably make no sense to you, ever. No point in wasting more breath on the subject.
Considering the NHQ approved the uniform, I guess they don't get it either.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019