Uniform(s) worn most frequently?

Started by Xasmoth1650, October 25, 2013, 04:08:24 AM

SarDragon

Hey, folks, are we adults here, or fussy four-year-olds?

Mr. Dean, have you ever served in the military? If so, then you don't "get it". If you haven't, then your perspective is flawed.

We operate under a specific set of rules. The ones in question are pretty clear. The "guy in charge" has the option of establishing a specific UoD. Failure to comply can mean getting sent home. It's not rocket surgery.

Another part of the rules specifies a minimum basic uniform. That's not brain science, either.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

johnnyb47

Quote from: Elioron on October 25, 2013, 09:38:48 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 09:34:38 PM
Quote from: Elioron on October 25, 2013, 09:31:10 PM
Ceremonies and banquets are rare, and you might not even need to restrict them then.

::) Got it.

Quote from: Elioron on October 25, 2013, 09:31:10 PM
Please explain how being in a polo makes someone unable to listen to a presentation, engage in a discussion, or file paperwork.

Just based on the above, I can see this is something that will probably make no sense to you, ever. No point in wasting more breath on the subject.
Considering the NHQ approved the uniform, I guess they don't get it either.
Do remember that the same NHQ also put in the "unless otherwise specified" clause.
Meaning they understood that there were times and places where a polo probably wouldn't cut it.
Of course they also assume that at some point you would own a second, WHITE shirt with at least 3 pieces of flair on it that can be worn for those more formal occasions.
Because nothing says "I'm here for a banquet, lets be formal!" like looking like an airline pilot... without the cool hat.  ;D
( I wear that uniform... so I can make jokes. That's the rules)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Elioron

Quote from: johnnyb47 on October 25, 2013, 09:44:17 PM
Do remember that the same NHQ also put in the "unless otherwise specified" clause.
Meaning they understood that there were times and places where a polo probably wouldn't cut it.
Of course they also assume that at some point you would own a second, WHITE shirt with at least 3 pieces of flair on it that can be worn for those more formal occasions.
Because nothing says "I'm here for a banquet, lets be formal!" like looking like an airline pilot... without the cool hat.  ;D
( I wear that uniform... so I can make jokes. That's the rules)
I agree with this completely.  I would expect people to eventually collect a full set of BDUs (or DFU) as well as the Blues/Aviator combo.  I also get that the latter is required (eventually by some point we haven't yet determined).  I would also expect someone getting involved in flight operations to get a flight suit.

My biggest issue is with those that have said seniors should never buy the polo, much less wear it, that it is never appropriate, and those that have it shouldn't be allowed to participate at all unless they get the other uniforms together first.  I can see no mission need for the admin officer to wear the aviator shirt while filing that wouldn't be accomplished with the polo shirt.  There is no reason that wearing a polo shirt during a presentation is going to prevent learning the material.  It is the cheapest and easiest uniform to put together.

If someone gets the polo shirt and never even attempts to put together the other uniforms, I see that as a problem.  But to prevent people from participating in mundane tasks if that's what they have seems ridiculous.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

Майор Хаткевич

It shouldn't be "what they have". It should be one of the things they have, if at all.

Elioron

By the way, here is a timeline of how long it took to get my uniforms...

Polo Shirt - 2 weeks
Aviator - 5 months
DFU - 11 months
Aviator that fit right - 15 months
Blazer - 2 years

I accomplished quite a bit in those first five months.  I have accomplished much more since.  If I had been told not to come back until I got the aviator shirt, I probably wouldn't have come back and would likely have joined another organization.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019

Майор Хаткевич

Turnaround on an Aviator uniform is 1 week. Just because you chose to drag it out, that's on you. In fact, turnaround time on my G/Ws was 36 hours.

Elioron

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 10:14:25 PM
Turnaround on an Aviator uniform is 1 week. Just because you chose to drag it out, that's on you.
And it's more expensive, and a plain shirt is not an acceptable uniform - you need to buy other things with it.  Funds were an issue, and most of those were spent on the two cadets I had in the program.

I guess we can all just be glad that you weren't my commander.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019

Майор Хаткевич

Probably. If I let members slip on minor things like the base uniform, what else would I slide on?

SarDragon

Do you live close to any kind of an airport with an FBO? There's usually some sort of pilot shop at airports. Go inside, ask to see the pilot shirts, and get one each Van Heusen Aviator flavor shirt. Done. No mail order. No shipping cost. Immediate gratification.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on October 25, 2013, 10:26:23 PM
Do you live close to any kind of an airport with an FBO? There's usually some sort of pilot shop at airports. Go inside, ask to see the pilot shirts, and get one each Van Heusen Aviator flavor shirt. Done. No mail order. No shipping cost. Immediate gratification.

Cheapest polo on VG: $24.00
Aviator: $25.25
Gray name rag: $3.50

So your commanders integrity and a grande pays for compliance. But I get the point, its more expensive.

vento

Elioron

So far, nobody's been able to find any such place anywhere within a couple hundred miles.

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 10:29:30 PM

So your commanders integrity and a grande pays for compliance. But I get the point, its more expensive.

Plus the shoulder boards.  If you want to buy them for your officers, that's your prerogative as well.  The fact that I did more work than almost the rest of the squadron at the time may have been part of it.  But I guess the mission is secondary to allowing an approved uniform that some officer in another wing finds offensive.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Elioron on October 25, 2013, 10:40:31 PM
So far, nobody's been able to find any such place anywhere within a couple hundred miles.

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 10:29:30 PM

Plus the shoulder boards.  If you want to buy them for your officers, that's your prerogative as well.  The fact that I did more work than almost the rest of the squadron at the time may have been part of it.  But I guess the mission is secondary to allowing an approved uniform that some officer in another wing finds offensive.

SMWOG don't wear grade sleeves. What else ya got?

Just for giggles. In the 6 months you could skip another two grandes to get the grade slides.

abdsp51

So uniformity is not important?  Doing the bare minimum is acceptable?  I own the polo and don't care for it, I wear it when I'm told to or out of neccesity.  I guess that being the CDC that means I shouldn't set a uniform for cadets or those working around them.

SarDragon

I'd be willing to bet there's something at Olympia Muni. If not there, then Sea-Tac. The next time you're at Sea-Tac, as a pilot where he got his shirt.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on October 25, 2013, 11:07:57 PM

I'd be willing to bet there's something at Olympia Muni. If not there, then Sea-Tac. The next time you're at Sea-Tac, as a pilot where he got his shirt.

But that wouldn't work with the narrative he's slowly building up.

I was new
I was broke
I was doing all this work
I'm special

TarRiverRat

Let's really put this into lock mode!  I say we ban all polo version of the uniforms and never approve the ABU.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

Eclipse

I didn't realize that uniform requirements were based on work completed.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: TarRiverRat on October 26, 2013, 12:22:59 AM
Let's really put this into lock mode!  I say we ban all polo version of the uniforms and never approve the ABU.

Where's Colgan when we need him?  ;)

Y'all done screwed the pooch now.  :clap:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Please do not light the threads on fire.

Lock.