Really? ABU's?

Started by Blackhawk, September 06, 2013, 07:14:10 PM

Shuman 14

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 10, 2013, 01:58:35 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 09, 2013, 01:27:48 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on September 08, 2013, 10:35:18 PM
BBDU  ;)

BBDU?  What's that?

Is it the Brown BDU? The Black BDU? The Blue BDU? The Beige BDU?

I thought it was the fabled Blank BDU. :-\

Snow Camo.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Blackhawk

The Army (thankfully) is finally coming to the realization that ACU's were a disaster:

http://news.yahoo.com/army-5-billion-waste-094500638--politics.html

ABU's surely soon to follow.

lordmonar

That's just a rehash of old news........
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on October 15, 2013, 08:29:12 PM
The Army (thankfully) is finally coming to the realization that ACU's were a disaster:

http://news.yahoo.com/army-5-billion-waste-094500638--politics.html

ABU's surely soon to follow.

You really think so? That would be using logic, which is against the law and could result in you being drawn, quartered, shot and sentenced to Death by Power Point!

Blackhawk

They've been in denial for so long, it's refreshing to see an admittance.

lordmonar

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on October 16, 2013, 06:15:33 PM
They've been in denial for so long, it's refreshing to see an admittance.
A.  They have never been in denial.  Even when the ACU's first came out the ARMY know that the UCP was inferior to any other single camo patter built for a specific terrain.

That was not what the UCP was aiming for.   They were looking to save money by only having one uniform patter that worked "good enough" for any terrain.

To use an analogy.

Vehicles come in a spectrum of options.  Speed, load carrying, fuel efficiency, etc.   Pit an SUV against a NASCAR in a speed race, NASCAR wins every time, Pit the SUV against a Pickup truck in load carrying....and the pick up wins every time.  Pitt the SUV an solar powered electric car for fuel efficiency....and the solar car wins.   

The SUV is a compromise between all the competing things you want to get out of the vehicle.

That was the goal of the UCP and the ACU.

That politics (both Army and National) got involved is one of the problems with this particular situation.

IIRC some contractors got butt hurt that they did not win the contract....because the Army wanted a UCP and not a system of 2-3 camo patterns....they lobbied their congress critters and then all this started to happen.

So....none of this is news.   And there is still nothing beyond a few rumors and the Army doing some studies...that says that the Army is ready to make any major changes to their uniforms.

AS for the ABUs.......I'm sure that the USAF has other things they want to spend money on instead R&D and field testing of a new uniform right now.

Blackhawk

There's no denying what they were trying to do - save money, but the way in which it was done is tantamount to waste, fraud, and abuse.  Everyone knew it was a useless pattern, I agree, but you didn't hear big Army leadership admit that before they started looking for a replacement for the UCP.

lordmonar

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on October 17, 2013, 12:58:00 AM
There's no denying what they were trying to do - save money, but the way in which it was done is tantamount to waste, fraud, and abuse.  Everyone knew it was a useless pattern, I agree, but you didn't hear big Army leadership admit that before they started looking for a replacement for the UCP.
Not useless....be careful of your adjectives.  It works.....just like my SUV works.  And yes they were trying to save money....issue one set of uniforms.....and  more importantly one set of web gear, load bearing equipment, etc and so forth.

The FWA comes after the fact.....when the congress critters got involved and they started issuing multicams for Afghanistan.

But let's face it 90% of us camo wearers are Fobbits anyway.....the reflective belt kind of defeats ANY camo combo.

Shuman 14

Quote from: lordmonar on October 17, 2013, 01:32:27 AM
Quote from: HeadHunter06 on October 17, 2013, 12:58:00 AM
Not useless....be careful of your adjectives.  It works.....just like my SUV works.  And yes they were trying to save money....issue one set of uniforms.....and  more importantly one set of web gear, load bearing equipment, etc and so forth.

The FWA comes after the fact.....when the congress critters got involved and they started issuing multicams for Afghanistan.

But let's face it 90% of us camo wearers are Fobbits anyway.....the reflective belt kind of defeats ANY camo combo.

http://www.powershow.com/view/c008d-NjU5Y/Great_moments_in_reflective_belt_history_powerpoint_ppt_presentation  ;)
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Luis R. Ramos

I did not like your posting about our uniform problems...

:o

But your recent posting about the reflective belts, I LOVE IT! I think I may have seen it a long time ago but it always brings a smile.

:clap:

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Shuman 14

Thanks, I have my moments.  ;D
Joseph J. Clune

Panache

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Майор Хаткевич

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/08/army-increases-combat-effectiveness-with-more-reflective-belts-extremely-safe-combat-patrols/

On a more "to the point" off topic point, this week our cadet staff petitioned, and received approval to go from wearing safety vests to wearing PT belts when working outside in the parking lot. I would have pushed for a full repeal, but I suppose for the purposes of drill/inspection/other outside this will have to do.

PHall

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on October 19, 2013, 06:22:28 PM
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/10/18/wait-continues-for-armys-new-camo-decision.html?ESRC=todayinmil.sm

That's nice for the Army. But, IMHO, it will take a direct order from SecAF or higher before the Air Force abandons the ABU. :o
The excuse of "it will cost too much to change" will be used... ::)

Private Investigator

Blackhawk

I don't think the UASF will abandon the ABU, I think they'll continue to use it until Congress makes them switch.  In the meanwhile, they'll probably borrow from the Army when it comes time to deploy to combat.  Seriously need to  go back to one pattern for all services.

I think what the latest article indicates is that there are really HIGHER decisions to be made before the Army "picks" its new pattern.

Panache

At the risk of inducing wincing and heavy sighing, has anybody heard anything when the new 39-1 will be officially released for review?