Main Menu

Marksmanship badge

Started by Wynn1, July 10, 2012, 11:20:12 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2012, 06:23:13 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 12, 2012, 05:58:48 AM
So we make are cadets go a little farther then little johnny and the othe kids at the range.

How? And under what authority?

CAP isn't the sanctioning body and if it accepts the NRA's program, has no grounds to question the how's and why's
of where the certificate came from.

Cadet Johnny brings in his cert and that's that, the same as when he brings in his ARC First Aid card.
CAP has decided to accept some other organizations certification, so it has to accept their methods of qualification.
And in this case, it's just Johnny telling the NRA how awesome his 'shootin' skills is'. 

That's why, from a credibility standpoint, if they are going to fix the reg, they should go with an objective standard
set by CAP, and award the badge only when the shooting is done in a CAP activity.
Sure we can......we say....IF YOU WANT TO WEAR THIS BADGE.....YOU WILL BRING PROOF.  End of story....Little Johnny wants to game the system and claim all the bling from hell to wear on his NRA jacket.......that's no skin of my nose......Cadet Johny wants to wear that same badge (which I don't support) on his CAP Blues....he needs to bring me at least a letter from someone from the NRA says "yes Mr. Johnny has completed all the requrements for Badge X".

Like I said....no different then the community service ribbon.....we just need a letter from Bob at the Shelter that Johnny worked here for 60 hours.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Your "proof" is the certificate from the NRA. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Well... maybe we could even name the marksmanship award after a former cadet with legendary marksmanship skills.  The Oswald Award, anyone?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 12, 2012, 06:24:58 PM
Well... maybe we could even name the marksmanship award after a former cadet with legendary marksmanship skills.  The Oswald Award, anyone?

Ouch. What's the opposite of  :clap:?

pixelwonk

RogueLeader

I know that you don't care for CAP having marksmanship awards, but really? ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Yeah, that's distasteful on 12 cascading levels.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

I still think that creating a whole program to back an award is a serious waste of resources. We don't have a need for marksmanship training in our program, that's why it's a lot easier to recognize someone elses with only a few sentences in our pubs.

For our own program, we're talking about having our own instructors, our own access to facilities, our own insurance to cover these activities, our own publications, our own liabilities, and probably several other things that I can't think of at the moment or I'm not even aware that we need.

And we should produce all this just to justify an award? It's pretty smart business practice to have someone else foot the bill. And a smart pub writer could easily insert verbiage that accounts for minor changes in program that wouldn't require our pub to be rewritten or supplemented whenever they make a change.

All in all, reading back in the responses all I see is this: "We need our own program because we don't want to recognize someone elses." It strikes me as a severe case of Not Invented Here Syndrome. That strikes me as unnecessary, and willing wasteful.

So far, no one has provided me any logic I would consider reasonable as to why we just can't accept NRA badges, let them foot the bill on liability, training, organizing the activities, etc.  "It would be easier for us to track it that way" isn't practical, because "Bring in certified paperwork and you can put the badge on after we get" is far easier.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 13, 2012, 04:38:04 PMFor our own program, we're talking about having our own instructors, our own access to facilities, our own insurance to cover these activities, our own publications, our own liabilities, and probably several other things that I can't think of at the moment or I'm not even aware that we need.

No we're not, or at least I'm not.

None of the instruction or actual range time would be CAP people, per se.  They would be the same military & NRA, LE, etc., people who are the only ones allowed to provide firearms training today.  No change to the liability landscape or people resource from the existing program.

I suppose there would be some cost in re-writing the standard, but no more than any other reg costs to update, and in this case, we have to update it anyway, so basically a wash.

Creating the badge or ribbon would have some cost, but if we were creative we could repurpose an existing ribbon from some other service, and probably the same with a badge.  Personally, I'd prefer it be a ribbon only to keep in line with our USAF brethren and call it a day.  So the real cost would be the ribbon and mini-medal.

Everything else is already accounted for.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

As to my Oswald Award comment.
1. It was a joke, not to be taken seriously.
2. Some of you need to relax.
3. It was prompted not just by the comments on this thread about the concept of a marksmanship badge in CAP but also by a couple of older threads on CAP Talk I had just read about Oswald being a cadet and the "CAP Connection" to JFK's assassination.  It seemed to be a subject that fascinated quite a few folks on CAP Talk. 
4. If it offended anyone, then I would say I am sorry but see #2.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

C/MSGT Montez

I know this thread's been dead for a while but I just felt like throwing this out there: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2407/kw/NRA%20marksmanship%20badge

And as far as these NRA/CAP marksmanship programs go, I only know of two states that offer it. My home state of Washington, and somewhere in California.
C/MSGT Antonio Montez
Northern Desert Composite Squadron

Garibaldi

not to jump on the bandwagon and resurrect a dead thread, but besides Oswald, there is at least 1 former Spaatz cadet currently on the run in Mexico for grand theft auto...I forget his name but he was in Wisconsin, I believe. So, a cadet airman who killed Kennedy and a Spaatzen who committed grand theft...then there were those two cad-idiots in Texas who killed a girl in the 90s...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Private Investigator

Before the Wing banker program two different Wing Finance officers (in two different Wings) and a Squadron Finance officer embezzled CAP monies and went to prison.

A creepy story is the Group Admin officer who buried his mother in the garden to collect her social security checks while he was unemployed.

ol'fido

We can probably list instances of CAP members who have gone to jail all day long. I can count three in my area alone. However, that is over a 30+ year period. If you look at the numbers of people who are or have been members during that time, it will probably still be much lower than your average city with 60,000 people in it over a 30+ year period.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006