Main Menu

Marksmanship badge

Started by Wynn1, July 10, 2012, 11:20:12 PM

Wynn1

Does anyone know the regulation for the marksmanship badge? Also, if you have a marksmanship badge could you post a photo of it from your uniform?

Thrashed

We have guns now? Why do we need this badge? Even if you got it in the military, why wear it on a CAP uniform?

Save the triangle thingy

abdsp51

Have you consulted CAPM39-1 or asked around your unit?

Wynn1

Yes I have looked in 39-1 and I am the Cadet Commander, I have cadets asking me for the answer.

Eclipse

Which type of badge, one earned in the military and worn on the USAF-Style blues, or one earned in a marksmanship program as a cadet?

For the former, the badge has to be approved for wear by the USAF.  Army Marksmanship badges, for example, are not authorized.

As to the latter, there are no currently approved marksmanship badge that can be earned as a CAP member and worn on any CAP uniform.
The NRA program listed in 39-1 no longer exists, and the current program has not been authorized.  They are not the same programs or badges.

There is a lot of conversation on this topic in other threads.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Critical AOA

As an Army vet, I see no need to wear my marksmanship badge on my CAP uniform.  What is the purpose? I also do not see a need for it for the cadets just as I do not understand why anyone believes a ranger tab is needed or appropriate.  I think we need to keep things simple and keep the items on the uniform to a minimum.  I know that we are an auxiliary to the AF but we are the civilian auxiliary.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

ol'fido

PHall

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 11, 2012, 12:35:45 AM
As an Army vet, I see no need to wear my marksmanship badge on my CAP uniform.  What is the purpose? I also do not see a need for it for the cadets just as I do not understand why anyone believes a ranger tab is needed or appropriate.  I think we need to keep things simple and keep the items on the uniform to a minimum.  I know that we are an auxiliary to the AF but we are the civilian auxiliary.

I don't believe he's talking about Army or even Air Force markmanship badges. He's talking about the NRA badge. Entirely different animal.

Wynn1

Yes, at our recent encampment we went and shot 22's and we got NRA approved to wear the badge. But I cannot find anywhere in 39-1 on how to wear it. However I have seen cadets that have earned it and
Wear it on their uniform.

abdsp51

CAPM 39-1 Table 6-2 line 11

Junior National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge.
(Earned in accordance with NRA program. Cadets only)

Men: with the top edge centered on the left pocket flap of the service coat or shirt when worn as an outer-garment.
Women: in the same position as specialty insignia (above the ribbons and beneath the wings).

Eclipse

That program no longer exists.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2012, 03:35:25 AM
That program no longer exists.

Just goes to show how badly 39-1 needs to be updated. 

Wynn1

Okay I found it in 39-1. So it clearly states that we can wear it. Am I okay to put it on my uniform?

SarDragon

Please reread the thread.

The badge you have is not a part of the program that authorizes the badge in the 39-1. Half the people you talk to will say it's OK to wear the new badge. The other half will say it isn't. I side with the second group, because in this case, it is better to err on the side of caution.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

In English.

The badge is actually the same.

The program that it is awarded under now is NOT the same as the NRA program that CAPM 39-1 authorizes. The badge is worn to show you've completed something .. that you can no longer complete because the NRA no longer offers that curriculum.

So, NO. You can NOT wear the badge, however cadets that did earn it under that program that CAPM 39-1 speaks of can still wear it.

... if there are any left, they are -REALLY- -OLD- -CADETS- ...

It's being worked on.. funny thing, too. We had this discussion after the meeting tonight, as we are planning another NRA weekend activity and are going to yet again follow up on some contacts made at the last NSC on getting this thing cleared up, and it's not happened yet.

Critical AOA

I guess next we will have cadets who take a tandem parachute jump wanting to wear airborne wings.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

RogueLeader

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 11, 2012, 02:18:49 PM
I guess next we will have cadets who take a tandem parachute jump wanting to wear airborne wings.

I once saw a cadet with jump wings (he earned them too). 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 11, 2012, 03:09:57 PMI once saw a cadet with jump wings (he earned them too).

Totally plausable. Some ROTC programs (maybe just AROTC?) send more senior cadets to Benning during the summers; plus USAFA cadets can earn the same lead sleds via a parachuting class at the zoo, IIRC.   (On an unrelated note: It kills me though; we have all sorts of guys in my infantry unit who've been dying for a slot to Benning for years and can't get one.)

On the topic of the marksmanship badge, I'd be on-board with converting the program to a small-arms marksmanship ribbon that mirrors the behaviour of the Air Force in this regard.  Heck, institute the same qualification test as the USAF.  So do as much or as little marksmanship training you want (because the training itself wouldn't qualify you for an award), either in or out of CAP, and then if cadets subsequently run a course of qualification with an appropriate weapon at the local range and meet the qualifying score, they get a CAP Cadet Small-Arms Marksmanship Ribbon.  Mirrors the Air Force and doesn't depend on a specific program by an outside organization that is prone to change over time.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

I don't think CAP should have it's own marksmanship ribbon or badge. I see way too many people going ape over a civilian auxiliary of the Air Force providing "marksmanship training." (Which would be an easy jump to make logically.) Our own unique decoration seems like it would be a trouble magnet.

I think it would be pretty easy to insert a line in publication "NRA marksmanship badges may be worn when awarded by the NRA. A copy of the certificate (or whatever documentation is given) awarding the badge will be maintained in the members personnel file."

Simple and easy, and CAP isn't taking any responsibility, either real or implied, that we are providing such training. We don't need any negative stigma.

On a semirelated note, Civilian Marksmanship Program badges should be authorized to include all branches as well as the civilian equivalents (most of the requirements are the same anyway, the only major difference is the physical badges). If a cadet can wear a marksmanship badge, why shouldn't a senior be allowed the same recognition? 

I just have a problem with reinventing the wheel, which generally doesn't provide any improvement anyway.

Pylon

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 11, 2012, 05:21:05 PM
I see way too many people going ape over a civilian auxiliary of the Air Force providing "marksmanship training." (Which would be an easy jump to make logically.)

Simple and easy, and CAP isn't taking any responsibility, either real or implied, that we are providing such training. We don't need any negative stigma.

Except that cadet programs around the country regularly conduct marksmanship training, as allowed by CAPR 52-16.  I don't see the need to "hide something" from public view that we fully allow and do.  Either we should fully embrace something as a welcome part of our program and be fully comfortable with publicizing that, or not do it at all.

C/2d Lt

Junior National Rifle
Association
Marksmanship Badge
(Earned in accordance
with NRA program.)
(Cadets only)
Men: with the top edge centered on the left pocket
flap of the service coat or shirt when worn as an
outergarment. Women: in the same position as
specialty insignia (above the ribbons and beneath
the wings).

From uniform manual.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

SarDragon

We know that. That passage has been quoted at least once in this thread, and innumerable times in others.

The qualification program that the NRA had when that badge was initially authorized went away. There is a new program now. It has a different name, and different procedures. The badge may only be worn if it was earned under the old program. That is, until the 39-1 is updated.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

C/2d Lt

My swuadron just had a R&R weekend(Ropes and Rifles). We all got qualified and were sent the regulations on where to wear them and that is what is said. You are allowed to currently wear them on your blues within the regulations that I stated above.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

SarDragon

You still don't get it. No matter how many times you quote the reg, the bottom line is still the same. That badge is not currently authorized.

The program changed long before you joined CAP. The reg has not been updated to reflect the change. There are people out there who have chosen to make a very loose interpretation of the reg, and allow the badge to be worn. A strict interpretation does not allow this.

Selective interpretation of regulations is a problem in CAP, and is not keeping with the core values.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

C/2d Lt

My squadront allows us to wear them and I have only heard of one cadet that couldnt where it because his squadron commander wouldnt allow him not because of the regulations.

C/2d Lt

That is the only reason that I know of of why he is not allowed to wear them. (Squadron Commander)

Pylon

We can't blame the members in the field for mis-interpreting an extremely vague and short authorization for the badge, especially if they don't know the historical context that there used to be an exact program with that specific name.  It's rather a failure on the national side to keep these things updated.

a2capt

..and any NRA instruction that is using approve materials and current should well know that the Junior Rifle Marksmanship Program has not been offered for quite a few years now. The current program is a combination of the merging of the nearly 100 year old Junior Rifle Marksmanship Program and the Winchester Junior Rifle Corps, that was also run by the NRA since 1926 after they took it over. Around 2002 they decided to merge the two programs. The badge that CAP authorizes was the one originally awarded as part of the Junior Rifle Marksmanship Program. When the two were merged, the new program, which is vastly different curriculum wise, retained the Junior Rifle Marksmanship badge, but is now known as the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.

Put simply, you CAN NOT WEAR THE BADGE because you CAN NOT EARN IT anymore, as the program named in the regulation DOES NOT EXIST and therefore is IMPOSSIBLE to participate in.

The regulation needs to be REWRITTEN, AMENDED, or whatever, to recognize the new program. Since it's not the same, and it's way more than a name change.

If people are using the old stuff, ratted and tattered photocopies of stuff, oil stained workbooks, etc, then they are doing a disservice to everyone involved.

Since the program ended in 2005, there's probably about 3 more years max, that any cadet should be wearing the badges, unless they are around 18 and older right now.

Anyone younger, it's practically impossible for them to have rightfully earned it. Through no fault of their own, it's leaderships problem. But it's fairly well known now, and should not be continuing.

Eclipse

This from March 2010:  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=10023.msg182620
(Though the referenced KB response was not apparently posted publicly.)

And this follow up from The Honorable Ned Lee, National board member and at the time National Cadet Adviser:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=10023.msg183201#msg183201

Quote from: a2capt on July 11, 2012, 07:05:59 AM
The badge is actually the same.

Junior National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge (old)

Winchester / NRA Marksmanship Qualification program (current)

Quote from: Cadet on July 11, 2012, 06:13:38 PM
Junior National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge

The current program is called: Winchester / NRA Marksmanship Qualification program
And it should be noted that this is now a commercially sponsored program.  Not necessarily a deal breaker, but
certainly something to be considered when and if the new program is approved by NHQ.  Several members
have suggested that the qualification be changed to a generic set of tasks that could be accomplished
anywhere firearms training is otherwise approved, not just with the NRA programs.

Bottom line, they are not the same programs, not the same badges, and not currently approved for wear by CAP members in
uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/2d Lt

Winchester / NRA Marksmanship Qualification program badge is allowed correct.

NCRblues

Quote from: Cadet on July 11, 2012, 08:27:02 PM
Winchester / NRA Marksmanship Qualification program badge is allowed correct.

NO!!!

once again in case you missed it...

NO!!!!!
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Phil Hirons, Jr.

While Winchester is on the certificates for this program (I just awarded 140 certificates in June), it does not appear on the medals. So I think the commercial involvement mentioned below is not relevant. Winchester paid a cool half million to put their name on the program so I think it will remain the same for the foreseeable future.

That said, I would change the regulation to allow the wear of the highest rating earned in the "new" program. I'd also specify that if wearing the sharpshooter medal only the highest bar rating may be attached. (The closer to 9 the more it looks like a banana republic medal). As the program no longer distinguishes between adult and junior shooters, I could live with senior members wearing it. Not sure if I'd wear it.

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on July 11, 2012, 05:44:14 PM
Except that cadet programs around the country regularly conduct marksmanship training, as allowed by CAPR 52-16.  I don't see the need to "hide something" from public view that we fully allow and do.  Either we should fully embrace something as a welcome part of our program and be fully comfortable with publicizing that, or not do it at all.

Those programs do, but we do not. We should not create a program that presents the appearance that we do. It's one thing to allow another program's award to be worn, it's another thing to create your own that implies that you have the same training. We don't have a marksmanship program, therefore any awards we create to recognize one misrepresent us.

Besides, what is so bad about letting someone wear an award from another program? Is CAP (or are we as members) so arrogant as an organization that something isn't valid unless we have our own award for it?

There's also the simple fact that the other program awards are recognized more widely. Why create something new that isn't? Why go through all the administrative hassle? In this case, allowing the NRA badges would be an added line in a publication, easily taken care of with a single supplement to the pub. Our own program would require it's own pub on marksmanship training (you can't to that with a policy letter), and all the other administrative costs.

And finally, simply approving other program awards to be worn doesn't require us to go through our "official insignia provider" to have something designed, produced, and ultimately adding additional cost to those members that would purchase it when they already have a badge/ribbon/decoration/award/etc.

I think that many of our members need to keep the K.I.S.S principle in mind.

Pylon

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 12, 2012, 02:56:36 AM
Those programs do, but we do not. We should not create a program that presents the appearance that we do.

Actually, we do.  Cadets can and do participate in marksmanship activities that are not the NRA program or through the NRA.

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 12, 2012, 02:56:36 AMIt's one thing to allow another program's award to be worn, it's another thing to create your own that implies that you have the same training. We don't have a marksmanship program, therefore any awards we create to recognize one misrepresent us.

It doesn't misrepresent anything, nor does it create a "CAP Marksmanship Program" simply by virtue of creating one internal award (which fits better into our awards schema) that recognizes an outside achievement.

We don't have a "Community Service Program" and cadets & seniors don't even perform (award-qualifying) community service on CAP time, yet we have an award and ribbon for that.  It doesn't misrepresent that CAP is an organization that goes out and works in soup kitchens and blood banks.

Besides, what is so bad about letting someone wear an award from another program? Is CAP (or are we as members) so arrogant as an organization that something isn't valid unless we have our own award for it?

It's not arrogance, it's simplicity and accessibility.  There is a whole handful of NRA (and other) marksmanship badges out there, for one.  There are also plenty of other marksmanship programs and activities allowable under CAPR 52-16 for which cadets don't get anything.  If a unit is in a location where there is no NRA programs, but/or they have other resources more readily available to them why shouldn't they be equally recognized?  A central CAP award that recognized a certain level of participation in any number of programs, including the NRA's programs, levels the playing field and makes more external options available -- all without, as you suggest, creating some sort of complicated "CAP Marksmanship Program"

There's also the simple fact that the other program awards are recognized more widely. Why create something new that isn't?
We generally don't base our awards on what's widely recognized.  People don't widely recognize our Lifesaving Ribbon, but we still award it rather than looking to external agencies like the Coast Guard Silver Lifesaving Medal.

Why go through all the administrative hassle?

It's actually potentially more administrative hassle to keep updating our publications around NRA's program evolutions and changes, rather than create a standard award for external marksmanship programs that's more of a "catch-all".  So when NRA changes their badges again, or changes the structure of the program, we aren't in the same pickle we are now for 5+ years where we have a defunct badge still on the books for a defunct program that no longer exists.

In this case, allowing the NRA badges would be an added line in a publication, easily taken care of with a single supplement to the pub. Our own program would require it's own pub on marksmanship training (you can't to that with a policy letter), and all the other administrative costs.

This change would simply be adding a paragraph to CAPR 39-3 and inserting a ribbon into the cadet order of precedence.  No more or less a hassle than updating the wording and badge listings for the NRAs.  Except that our publication may not have to be changed again 5 years if NRA changes something or adds or deletes a badge

And finally, simply approving other program awards to be worn doesn't require us to go through our "official insignia provider" to have something designed, produced, and ultimately adding additional cost to those members that would purchase it when they already have a badge/ribbon/decoration/award/etc.

The NRA badges aren't free either.

I think that many of our members need to keep the K.I.S.S principle in mind.

The idea behind streamlining it is to keep it simple, if we're looking at the long game.

Eclipse

Those programs do, but we do not. We should not create a program that presents the appearance that we do. It's one thing to allow another program's award to be worn, it's another thing to create your own that implies that you have the same training. We don't have a marksmanship program, therefore any awards we create to recognize one misrepresent us.
When worn by cadets, marksmanship does not misrepresent CAP, since career exploration, including military service, is a cornerstone of the cadet program.  So is being a good citizen, and a large number of Americans still believe that training to use firearms properly and responsibly is a mark of
a responsible, prepared citizen.

What is worn on our uniforms is, for the most part, dictated by the USAF, and they are pretty finicky with what they let their own people and CAP members wear, regardless of the service.

Now, more towards the NRA program itself, I learned something today which has turned me off the idea.  The badges may be "awarded" based on the "honor system", which means no one from the NRA has to actually certify that the wearer has completed the steps.  What else do we allow our cadets to wear that is not vetted by some authority in CAP? 

I would much rather see cadets wearing a CAP marksmanship badge that required that a CAP member or military rangemaster certify the accomplishment.  Many encampments include live-fire or simunition ranges and earning that badge would be a big draw for cadets.

Otherwise we might as well start allowing members to wear the PVSA as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2012, 03:41:31 AM

Now, more towards the NRA program itself, I learned something today which has turned me off the idea.  The badges may be "awarded" based on the "honor system", which means no one from the NRA has to actually certify that the wearer has completed the steps.  What else do we allow our cadets to wear that is not vetted by some authority in CAP? 

I would much rather see cadets wearing a CAP marksmanship badge that required that a CAP member or military rangemaster certify the accomplishment.  Many encampments include live-fire or simunition ranges and earning that badge would be a big draw for cadets.

Well not quite true.  While the NRA will let anyone order the badges......you are supposed to present your targets to an NRA instructor.  It is true that for the most part you don't have to by observed by that instructor. 

On that there are plenty of safe guards that CAP can put in place to stop any one trying to game the system.....i.e. a written certification from and NRA instructor that he in fact did see the requuired targets.  Kind of like how we certify community services hours. 

So Joe Cadet shows up one day with the NRA Pro-Marksman Rifle badge, saying "Hey I shot 200 yestereday".....all you got to say is....I need to see a letter from an NRA instructor saying he verified your targets.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 12, 2012, 04:27:22 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2012, 03:41:31 AM

Well not quite true.  While the NRA will let anyone order the badges......you are supposed to present your targets to an NRA instructor.  It is true that for the most part you don't have to by observed by that instructor. 

On that there are plenty of safe guards that CAP can put in place to stop any one trying to game the system.....i.e. a written certification from and NRA instructor that he in fact did see the requuired targets.  Kind of like how we certify community services hours. 

So Joe Cadet shows up one day with the NRA Pro-Marksman Rifle badge, saying "Hey I shot 200 yestereday".....all you got to say is....I need to see a letter from an NRA instructor saying he verified your targets.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/index.asp

Qualification shooting is an informal, year-round recreational shooting activity that provides incentive awards for developing and improving marksmanship skills. It's a drill. We set the standards; you meet the challenge! Progression is self-paced and scores are challenging but attainable. Performance is measured against established par scores and any shooter who meets or exceeds those scores is entitled to the corresponding recognition awards for that rating. It's an honor system!

Administration
Qualification shooting can be a self-administered activity on the honor system, or it can be administered by parents, club leaders, coaches, or instructors as part of a family, club, or group program.

Ratings
Ratings in the qualification program must be earned in sequence from the beginning. While beginning ratings may be relatively easy for some shooters to obtain, these ratings and the recognition the shooters receive, keep interest high and help sustain shooters when ratings become much more difficult to obtain. NRA does not track earned ratings.

It does not appear that you need any NRA certification until you are looking to attain "Distinguished Expert".

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

And?

So we make are cadets go a little farther then little johnny and the othe kids at the range.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 12, 2012, 05:58:48 AM
So we make are cadets go a little farther then little johnny and the othe kids at the range.

How? And under what authority?

CAP isn't the sanctioning body and if it accepts the NRA's program, has no grounds to question the how's and why's
of where the certificate came from.

Cadet Johnny brings in his cert and that's that, the same as when he brings in his ARC First Aid card.
CAP has decided to accept some other organizations certification, so it has to accept their methods of qualification.
And in this case, it's just Johnny telling the NRA how awesome his 'shootin' skills is'. 

That's why, from a credibility standpoint, if they are going to fix the reg, they should go with an objective standard
set by CAP, and award the badge only when the shooting is done in a CAP activity.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2012, 06:23:13 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 12, 2012, 05:58:48 AM

How? And under what authority?

CAP isn't the sanctioning body and if it accepts the NRA's program, has no grounds to question the how's and why's
of where the certificate came from.

Cadet Johnny brings in his cert and that's that, the same as when he brings in his ARC First Aid card.
CAP has decided to accept some other organizations certification, so it has to accept their methods of qualification.
And in this case, it's just Johnny telling the NRA how awesome his 'shootin' skills is'. 

That's why, from a credibility standpoint, if they are going to fix the reg, they should go with an objective standard
set by CAP, and award the badge only when the shooting is done in a CAP activity.
Sure we can......we say....IF YOU WANT TO WEAR THIS BADGE.....YOU WILL BRING PROOF.  End of story....Little Johnny wants to game the system and claim all the bling from hell to wear on his NRA jacket.......that's no skin of my nose......Cadet Johny wants to wear that same badge (which I don't support) on his CAP Blues....he needs to bring me at least a letter from someone from the NRA says "yes Mr. Johnny has completed all the requrements for Badge X".

Like I said....no different then the community service ribbon.....we just need a letter from Bob at the Shelter that Johnny worked here for 60 hours.

Eclipse

Your "proof" is the certificate from the NRA. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Well... maybe we could even name the marksmanship award after a former cadet with legendary marksmanship skills.  The Oswald Award, anyone?

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 12, 2012, 06:24:58 PM
Well... maybe we could even name the marksmanship award after a former cadet with legendary marksmanship skills.  The Oswald Award, anyone?

Ouch. What's the opposite of  :clap:?

pixelwonk

RogueLeader

I know that you don't care for CAP having marksmanship awards, but really? ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Yeah, that's distasteful on 12 cascading levels.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

I still think that creating a whole program to back an award is a serious waste of resources. We don't have a need for marksmanship training in our program, that's why it's a lot easier to recognize someone elses with only a few sentences in our pubs.

For our own program, we're talking about having our own instructors, our own access to facilities, our own insurance to cover these activities, our own publications, our own liabilities, and probably several other things that I can't think of at the moment or I'm not even aware that we need.

And we should produce all this just to justify an award? It's pretty smart business practice to have someone else foot the bill. And a smart pub writer could easily insert verbiage that accounts for minor changes in program that wouldn't require our pub to be rewritten or supplemented whenever they make a change.

All in all, reading back in the responses all I see is this: "We need our own program because we don't want to recognize someone elses." It strikes me as a severe case of Not Invented Here Syndrome. That strikes me as unnecessary, and willing wasteful.

So far, no one has provided me any logic I would consider reasonable as to why we just can't accept NRA badges, let them foot the bill on liability, training, organizing the activities, etc.  "It would be easier for us to track it that way" isn't practical, because "Bring in certified paperwork and you can put the badge on after we get" is far easier.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 13, 2012, 04:38:04 PMFor our own program, we're talking about having our own instructors, our own access to facilities, our own insurance to cover these activities, our own publications, our own liabilities, and probably several other things that I can't think of at the moment or I'm not even aware that we need.

No we're not, or at least I'm not.

None of the instruction or actual range time would be CAP people, per se.  They would be the same military & NRA, LE, etc., people who are the only ones allowed to provide firearms training today.  No change to the liability landscape or people resource from the existing program.

I suppose there would be some cost in re-writing the standard, but no more than any other reg costs to update, and in this case, we have to update it anyway, so basically a wash.

Creating the badge or ribbon would have some cost, but if we were creative we could repurpose an existing ribbon from some other service, and probably the same with a badge.  Personally, I'd prefer it be a ribbon only to keep in line with our USAF brethren and call it a day.  So the real cost would be the ribbon and mini-medal.

Everything else is already accounted for.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

As to my Oswald Award comment.
1. It was a joke, not to be taken seriously.
2. Some of you need to relax.
3. It was prompted not just by the comments on this thread about the concept of a marksmanship badge in CAP but also by a couple of older threads on CAP Talk I had just read about Oswald being a cadet and the "CAP Connection" to JFK's assassination.  It seemed to be a subject that fascinated quite a few folks on CAP Talk. 
4. If it offended anyone, then I would say I am sorry but see #2.

C/MSGT Montez

I know this thread's been dead for a while but I just felt like throwing this out there: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2407/kw/NRA%20marksmanship%20badge

And as far as these NRA/CAP marksmanship programs go, I only know of two states that offer it. My home state of Washington, and somewhere in California.
C/MSGT Antonio Montez
Northern Desert Composite Squadron

Garibaldi

not to jump on the bandwagon and resurrect a dead thread, but besides Oswald, there is at least 1 former Spaatz cadet currently on the run in Mexico for grand theft auto...I forget his name but he was in Wisconsin, I believe. So, a cadet airman who killed Kennedy and a Spaatzen who committed grand theft...then there were those two cad-idiots in Texas who killed a girl in the 90s...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Private Investigator

Before the Wing banker program two different Wing Finance officers (in two different Wings) and a Squadron Finance officer embezzled CAP monies and went to prison.

A creepy story is the Group Admin officer who buried his mother in the garden to collect her social security checks while he was unemployed.

ol'fido

We can probably list instances of CAP members who have gone to jail all day long. I can count three in my area alone. However, that is over a 30+ year period. If you look at the numbers of people who are or have been members during that time, it will probably still be much lower than your average city with 60,000 people in it over a 30+ year period.