Started by skeeter, June 06, 2012, 07:59:20 PM

a2capt

Майор Хаткевич

IS that a Dexter picture on the trash?

PHall

Quote from: AngelWings on October 11, 2012, 10:50:32 AM
Quote from: PHall on October 11, 2012, 05:06:59 AM
Quote from: capmaj on October 11, 2012, 04:13:07 AM
2. And I also ask what is the necessity for either Cadets or Seniors to wear a shooting badge, given CAPS position on the carrying of firearms while performing CAP functions.

Using that rationale then the Air Force should do away with the Small Arms Expert Marksmanship ribbon.
Since the vast majority of Air Force members are not armed while on duty...
They're trained to and can be authorized to use guns. CAP, not so much.

You haven't had Air Force markmanship training familiarization, have you? It's a one day course.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: PHall on October 12, 2012, 01:55:43 AM
You haven't had Air Force firearms markmanship training familiarization, have you? It's a one day course.

1 day barely gets you past "Don't point the end with the hole at your face or at your buddy's face."

Honor Guardsman

I'm not sure about the program be obsolete for over a decade because a FLWG color guard competition a couple weeks ago there were several cadets who had just earned them.

Майор Хаткевич

Try reading the whole conversation.

a2capt

Hmmm..  hope they are not the winning team.. 
Then again, maybe I do ;)

* a2capt wonders what -else- they have -wrong- ;)

Garibaldi

Quote from: phirons on October 12, 2012, 01:35:35 PM
Quote from: PHall on October 12, 2012, 01:55:43 AM
You haven't had Air Force firearms markmanship training familiarization, have you? It's a one day course.

1 day barely gets you past "Don't point the end with the hole at your face or at your buddy's face."

AKA the Cheney Codicil.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Honor Guardsman

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 21, 2012, 01:44:53 AM
Try reading the whole conversation

I did, but was trying to comment on previous post; as well as people stating that the badges are essentially prohibited on our uniforms.

abdsp51

Per 39-1 the latest iteration of the badge is not authorized. 

Honor Guardsman

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 21, 2012, 04:46:43 PM

thank you for finding that for me :)

lordmonar

Per Knowledge Base....it is authorized.....I know that opens up a can of worms.....so ask your chain of command for guidance.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on December 21, 2012, 05:50:47 PM
Per Knowledge Base....it is authorized.....I know that opens up a can of worms.....so ask your chain of command for guidance.

Yep, they've said that. The intent is to have some kind of program. Just not how our regs are now. So sure it's what they want, but it isn't what is the reality. Same thing with wing patches on flight suits.

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 21, 2012, 06:07:34 PM

Yep, they've said that. The intent is to have some kind of program. Just not how our regs are now. So sure it's what they want, but it isn't what is the reality. Same thing with wing patches on flight suits.

Squadron Patches.  Wing patch is already authorized.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

..and that is technically true. IT is authorized. If it was earned under that program .. that I'd be hard pressed to think there are any cadets left, who earned it that way. So while it is an authorized badge, that does not mean it can be earned anymore, per the regulations that authorize it's wear.

Perhaps the members of this forum that are on the NUC and the BoG would have a little more direct route at clearing up this kind of stuff :) .. getting better text in place, that is.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 21, 2012, 06:14:17 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 21, 2012, 06:07:34 PM

Squadron Patches.  Wing patch is already authorized.

I got something on my mind, and it obviously wasn't the right word in this case. Squadron Patches is indeed what I meant.

AngelWings

We should just get rid of the [darn] things already. Not once will a cadet EVER shoot something in CAP outside of NCSA's or visits to the local FATS. What purpose does it serve to have cadets run around with these things? They look dumb, they're a joke, and I'm positive no cadet could make a strong connection between the badge and CAP.

Worse off, what happens when Cadet Johhny Got His-Gun (for those of you who get reference, kudos!) thinks he is all of the sudden wearing a real shooting qualification badge? Allowing stuff like this creates the risk of having cadets say that the skill is used in CAP to someone like, lets say, Mr. and Mrs. Kids O'Parent or to SrA Para Rescue Mann. If we cut it out, we can be assured no cadet is going to say that they are a CAP shooter.

In the good words of a relevant Christmas movie: "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

BGNightfall

Quote from: AngelWings on December 22, 2012, 01:59:33 AM
We should just get rid of the [darn] things already. Not once will a cadet EVER shoot something in CAP outside of NCSA's or visits to the local FATS. What purpose does it serve to have cadets run around with these things? They look dumb, they're a joke, and I'm positive no cadet could make a strong connection between the badge and CAP.

Worse off, what happens when Cadet Johhny Got His-Gun (for those of you who get reference, kudos!) thinks he is all of the sudden wearing a real shooting qualification badge? Allowing stuff like this creates the risk of having cadets say that the skill is used in CAP to someone like, lets say, Mr. and Mrs. Kids O'Parent or to SrA Para Rescue Mann. If we cut it out, we can be assured no cadet is going to say that they are a CAP shooter.

In the good words of a relevant Christmas movie: "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

This is a new one on me, actually.  Mr. Wings, I knew quite a few cadets who spent the many hours perfecting their marksmanship skills under the old Junior Marksmanship Program and wore the currently authorized (and obsolete) award that accompanied it.  None of those cadets were hot-headed, and were always very careful to point out that beyond being allowed to wear the badge, there was no correlation between the programs.  Then again, that we do not have a marksmanship program within CAP may be a good reason to discontinue the device... though perhaps now would be a bad time since it would create the appearance of caving to a media frenzy. 

For my own part I would be in favor of encouraging the "demystificization" of firearms, and promoting a firearm safety course to our cadets is a fantastic way to do that.

AngelWings

Quote from: BGNightfall on December 22, 2012, 02:19:20 AM

This is a new one on me, actually.  Mr. Wings, I knew quite a few cadets who spent the many hours perfecting their marksmanship skills under the old Junior Marksmanship Program and wore the currently authorized (and obsolete) award that accompanied it.  None of those cadets were hot-headed, and were always very careful to point out that beyond being allowed to wear the badge, there was no correlation between the programs.  Then again, that we do not have a marksmanship program within CAP may be a good reason to discontinue the device... though perhaps now would be a bad time since it would create the appearance of caving to a media frenzy. 

For my own part I would be in favor of encouraging the "demystificization" of firearms, and promoting a firearm safety course to our cadets is a fantastic way to do that.
It could be one bad apple, too. I'm semi jaded from one person acting poorly about his badge.

And I 1000% agree with the fact we should have a CAP course on firearms. It'd make much more sense for us to promote a firearms safety badge. There is no reason not to considering the fact that gun safety is not something most children, teenagers, and even adults are taught about today. Guns are very common today, and I think we could keep people on the "straight and narrow" if they learn about the affects of shooting someone, both on themselves and the families. This is not to be a "sissy" or anything, but it's dumb to have training on one half of firearms and not the other in my opinion.

I believe what you just suggested is the solution to the NRA badge problem AND to teaching our members about gun safety.

NCRblues

SARCASM WARNING

Well, under that pretense, we should rid ourselves of the Cadet pocket rocket as well. Heaven forbid if one of our cadets passed themselves off as a rocket expert, or some sort of educated young man/woman about aerospace propulsion...

The vast majority of AF members will NEVER fire a weapon in the service (finance, MXS, Ops support, fire fighter). They better do away with the small arms marksmanship ribbon, just in case a real shooter gets confused with them and thinks they can shoot...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC