NRA qualifications badge

Started by skeeter, June 06, 2012, 07:59:20 PM

A.Member

Quote from: a2capt on September 25, 2012, 05:01:41 PM
Quote from: A.Member on September 25, 2012, 04:59:34 PMI saw in a previous thread that Ned offered to assist in moving a change forward but I didn't see anyone actually offer to take him up on it.
..which is what I spoke of in the previous reply. It's been done.
Great!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Ned

We are on it.  I promise you it is on our list of "things to do" at NHQ.  You don't need to hear our problems (down two CP full-timers in the NHQ shop, end of the busy summer season with reports and budgets to close out, the distraction of the NB meeting with associated learning labs, new encampment guidance we are trying to get ready for some test runs at winter encampments, etc), but we are actively working the issue after getting some great help from knowledgeable CT members.

CT is making a difference.  Thank you.

Ned Lee
CP Enthusiast

A.Member

E-mail just forwarded on this evening:

Quote from: Susie Parker, NHQ
Subject: RE: NRA Badge

Curt Lafond asked that I respond to your email.  While we realize the Junior NRA badge referenced in the uniform manual is now obsolete, the intent of authorizing the wear of the badge was to recognize some type of standardized marksmanship training for cadets.  An NRA badge is still authorized for wear by CAP cadets today--it's just not a junior badge now.

If I can answer any other questions for you please let me know.

SUSAN P. PARKER
CAP National Headquarters
105 S. Hansell Street
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-5937
Phone:  877-227-9142 extension 212
FAX:  334-953-4262
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Sapper168

Quote from: A.Member on October 10, 2012, 05:27:51 AM

Curt Lafond asked that I respond to your email.  While we realize the Junior NRA badge referenced in the uniform manual is now obsolete, the intent of authorizing the wear of the badge was to recognize some type of standardized marksmanship training for cadets.  An NRA badge is still authorized for wear by CAP cadets today--it's just not a junior badge now.

SUSAN P. PARKER
105 S. Hansell Street

This maybe????   http://materials.nrahq.org/go/products.aspx?cat=Medals%20and%20Bars
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

A.Member

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on October 10, 2012, 06:53:24 AM
Quote from: A.Member on October 10, 2012, 05:27:51 AM

SUSAN P. PARKER
105 S. Hansell Street

This maybe????   http://materials.nrahq.org/go/products.aspx?cat=Medals%20and%20Bars
Follow up e-mail from NHQ confirms the badges listed in the NRA link you posted are authorized.

They indicate they're in the middle of revising 39-1 (that old song....how long has it been and when will it be complete?).   I certainly hope they add a lot more clarification to the wear of the badge than simply removing the word "junior". 

Brad

Maybe they'll authorize it for seniors too, since there is an NRA adult marksmanship program...
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

AngelWings

Why do they even authorize NRA badges? It seems rather useless to identify someone as a good shooter.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: AngelWings on October 11, 2012, 01:15:56 AM
Why do they even authorize NRA badges? It seems rather useless to identify someone as a good shooter.
Obviously, you kill them first.  >:D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Майор Хаткевич

Wouldn't it be easier to do a CAP specific badge/ribbon, etc, and dictate what needs to be done to earn it?

Fubar

Quote from: A.Member on October 10, 2012, 05:27:51 AME-mail just forwarded on this evening:

This will have the same issues as the berets did... there are squadron commanders out there that only follow what's written down in the regs. A couple of years ago, a beret-lover brought an email from Ms. Parker to a meeting to show the SQ/CC that berets were authorized. His response was, "She ain't in my chain of command."

Said member is of course happier now with the recent ICL.

arajca

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 11, 2012, 01:38:16 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to do a CAP specific badge/ribbon, etc, and dictate what needs to be done to earn it?
Already sent in.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on October 11, 2012, 01:46:45 AM
Quote from: A.Member on October 10, 2012, 05:27:51 AME-mail just forwarded on this evening:

This will have the same issues as the berets did... there are squadron commanders out there that only follow what's written down in the regs. A couple of years ago, a beret-lover brought an email from Ms. Parker to a meeting to show the SQ/CC that berets were authorized. His response was, "She ain't in my chain of command."

And that's a correct response - this isn't how we change regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Why doesn't Ned take this issue back to Ms Parker?

Or another one of those National Board biggies that are reading this resource.

Information as misleading as quoted
Quote...NRA badge is still authorized for wear by CAP cadets today--it's just not a junior badge now.

Which CAP publication or ICL authorized that wear? None!

Which CAP publication or ICL stated it is not a junior badge? None!

Take care,

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

capmaj

1. Once again we see certain persons at NHQ render personal decisions as to what our regs actually do or do not say.

2. And I also ask what is the necessity for either Cadets or Seniors to wear a shooting badge, given CAPS position on the carrying of firearms while performing CAP functions.

68w20

Quote from: capmaj on October 11, 2012, 04:13:07 AM
2. And I also ask what is the necessity for either Cadets or Seniors to wear a shooting badge, given CAPS position on the carrying of firearms while performing CAP functions.

It's not a necessity.  It's a fun and optional program that, when done properly, is exceptionally safe.  It's comparable to the model rocketry program or  a familiarization NCSA; it gives Cadets exposure to something with which they may not interact in their every-day lives.

PHall

Using that rationale then the Air Force should do away with the Small Arms Expert Marksmanship ribbon.
Since the vast majority of Air Force members are not armed while on duty...

Dad2-4

Given that there are 4 different NRA badges, and that they can be earned in a variety of shooting disciplines, allowing cadets to wear "an NRA badge" means we can/will/do see any number of things hanging on a cadet's uniform with no clear cut uniformity or standardization. Some badges are easier to earn than others. Can a cadet wear a bage for shotgun? Pistol? Air rifle? Small caliber rifle? High caliber rifle?

AngelWings

Quote from: PHall on October 11, 2012, 05:06:59 AM

Using that rationale then the Air Force should do away with the Small Arms Expert Marksmanship ribbon.
They're trained to and can be authorized to use guns. CAP, not so much.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on October 11, 2012, 05:06:59 AM

USAF = combatant service

CAP = non-combatant service

With that said firearms safety is a life-skill that falls nicely within our mission to build better citizens.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Or maybe we can have the cadets shooting looters after a disaster.    ;D
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw