Ripstop vs Twill?

Started by vmstan, May 11, 2012, 07:26:58 PM

vmstan

I'm thinking of switching to BBDU. I was looking at the Dark Navy, Propper, set from BDU.com. What is the difference between ripstop or twill on the fabric type? I've always just referred to the differences as "summer weight" or "winter weight" - even though I don't really notice a huge difference from either one.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

AngelWings

Quote from: vmstan on May 11, 2012, 07:26:58 PM
I'm thinking of switching to BBDU. I was looking at the Dark Navy, Propper, set from BDU.com. What is the difference between ripstop or twill on the fabric type? I've always just referred to the differences as "summer weight" or "winter weight" - even though I don't really notice a huge difference from either one.
Ripstop is lighter and more breathable, along with it's name feature, ripstop. Ripstop does a great job at containing rip. It fades quicker though and does not not keep warm in the fall (invest in a jacket if you don't have one and YMMV). Twill is heavier, retaining heat better. It holds color better and when starched, can hold the best of the best creases (I used to have a twill set and man o man I had the sharpest creases in the world). If ripped, it will not stop the rip from growing. I've heard complaints of it fraying easier, too, but this may have changed because this was in an article about the first sets of BDU's way back in '81. I suggest ripstop because it will do better in the field and is more abrasion resistant (for those thorn moments) and will stop a huge rip from developing in the field.

Spaceman3750

I wear the Dark Navy ripstop BBDUs from Propper and highly recommend them.

CAP4117

whatevah

I wear the twill type BBDUs from Propper at work, year-round.  Love them!  Got one pair that's been worn probably 300 times already and it still looks great. A little fade but hardly noticeable.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

ol'fido

Who cares if they fade. Love the fade.  8)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AngelWings

Quote from: ol'fido on May 12, 2012, 02:12:06 AM
Who cares if they fade. Love the fade.  8)
Same here. I was just giving the most unbiased and informative response I could  8)

vmstan

Ripstop it is, thanks guys!
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4