wearing the green flight suit question

Started by Woodsy, February 29, 2012, 05:09:47 PM

Woodsy

2 scenarios here which I think the regs are vague on...

The regs say the AF style flight suit can only be worn by flight crews for flight activities...

Scenario 1:  You've been tasked to work a CAP plane static display at an airshow/fly in, answering questions, handing out promo material, etc.  You did not fly there in the plane, it came in from another location, or the plane was full but they needed 2 crews because it's a long day, or for whatever reason...  Can you wear the green flight suit while manning the display?  I would think yes.  One, you're there as an aircrew member to answer question about the airplane and aircrew jobs, possibly working beside the pilot that did fly it in, wearing his flight suit.  Especially for a promo activity such as this, I think you should look the part.

Scenario 2:  You are attending an event of a non-CAP organization, such as a military squadron, ROTC flying club, etc, officially and as a representative of CAP, where the uniform of the day is a flight suit. This one I'm not so sure on, as you're not actually flying or working around an airplane.  However, you would be the oddball in the room not in a flight suit, and as the saying goes, "When in Rome..."   Also, on a customs and courtesies angle, if we have been requested by Officer in Charge of the event to wear a flight suit, should we not respect their wishes and do so as a courtesy? 

Sapper168

Please cite the regulation that says the flight suit can only be worn for 'flight activities.'  Im totally missing this in the 39-1, brainfry may have set in with a busy week.....  ::) :o 8)

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Woodsy

I interpreted "flight crews" to mean those actually participating in that capacity, for that event/mission.  Since so many of us wear several hats, a lot of people who are aircrew certified often are not participation in a flight crew position.   For example, I'm a flight crew member, but if I'm acting as a PIO on a particular day, I wouldn't consider myself to be "flight crew" that day....  Thoughts?

Hawk200

39-1 says "flight crews only." There is dispute as to what specifically that refers to. Some argue that it only means that those who are going on plane in a short time are allowed to wear them, others believe that it means that only rated as crew can wear it.

The commander who approved the pub wasn't current as a pilot when he did approve it, and was known to wear a flightsuit on occasion (there are pics out there), so we're not sure as to his intent, or even if he was aware of the stipulation. Not being current as a pilot, he may have been able to fly as an observer, but I'm not sure about that, so don't quote me on it.

Personally, I consider "flight crew" as someone who has the training to perform flight duties. In your case of functioning as a PIO, I would consider the appropriateness more than I would the legality. If it is the type of setting where flightsuits are appropriate, I wouldn't have an issue with it. But, if everyone else is in blues or whatever the local setting equivalent is, then I would recommend not wearing it.

Flying Pig

As a former Mission Pilot and SqCC I would say the wear of the flight suit is appropriate in both cases.

lordmonar

Quote from: Woodsy on February 29, 2012, 05:09:47 PM
2 scenarios here which I think the regs are vague on...

The regs say the AF style flight suit can only be worn by flight crews for flight activities...

No...the regs say they can be worn by flight crews......does not say anything about flight acitiviteis.

QuoteScenario 1:  You've been tasked to work a CAP plane static display at an airshow/fly in, answering questions, handing out promo material, etc.  You did not fly there in the plane, it came in from another location, or the plane was full but they needed 2 crews because it's a long day, or for whatever reason...  Can you wear the green flight suit while manning the display?  I would think yes.  One, you're there as an aircrew member to answer question about the airplane and aircrew jobs, possibly working beside the pilot that did fly it in, wearing his flight suit.  Especially for a promo activity such as this, I think you should look the part.

Scenario 2:  You are attending an event of a non-CAP organization, such as a military squadron, ROTC flying club, etc, officially and as a representative of CAP, where the uniform of the day is a flight suit. This one I'm not so sure on, as you're not actually flying or working around an airplane.  However, you would be the oddball in the room not in a flight suit, and as the saying goes, "When in Rome..."   Also, on a customs and courtesies angle, if we have been requested by Officer in Charge of the event to wear a flight suit, should we not respect their wishes and do so as a courtesy?
If you are flight crew...then you may wear the flight suit....if the uniform is appropriat for the event....i.e. don't wear flight suits to the military ball.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

(Flight Crews Only)

This is part of the caption for the two figures describing the flight gear.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

I've seen very broad interpretations of this.

I wore mine once to a squadron meeting at a past unit and the CC asked me "did you just fly in?"

However, I have personally known Wing and Group CC's who are always wearing theirs when they drop in to visit, and they're not flying.

If you're pilot/observer/scanner, you're aircrew.  If 39-1 wants it to mean that you only wear it when participating in flying, it should say so.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Woodsy

Ok, thanks for the input guys.  I guess I was reading too deep into it! 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Woodsy on March 01, 2012, 07:07:12 PM
Ok, thanks for the input guys.  I guess I was reading too deep into it!

Maybe not, depending on who's making the interpretation...another case where 39-1 is clear as mud, just like why the flight cap is allowed with the blue NOMEX flight suit, but not with the identical in cut and colour blue utility jumpsuit. ::)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Not to mention that there is no ambiguity in regards to when you can wear the jumpsuit, despite it being the same cut / color as a flight suit.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on March 01, 2012, 10:00:17 PM
Not to mention that there is no ambiguity in regards to when you can wear the jumpsuit, despite it being the same cut / color as a flight suit.

A lot of people who don't want to shell out $$$ for NOMEX do wear it as a flight suit.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on March 01, 2012, 10:20:46 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 01, 2012, 10:00:17 PM

A lot of people who don't want to shell out $$$ for NOMEX do wear it as a flight suit.

Absolutely, me too, but by definition there's no artificial limit on when you can where it.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

I'm not absolutely sure about when or why but back in the 90's I know that our wing LO would wear his flight suit on the flight in to an activity and then go to the restroom and change into blues. That was AF policy at the time. Then several years later the AF changed their policy and the flight suit became a regular work uniform whether flying or not for aircrew rated personnel. Like I said I'm not sure when or why this changed although it might have come down around the time the AF decided to emphasis the AF's "warrior" image.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

I've got photos of our current SD inspecting aircraft on the flightline wearing blues at an Eval in 2004 when he was a RAP, and up until a few years ago,
the majority of the RAPs would wear flightsuits, even a few who were not aircrew, but in the last year or so I've seen more and more of them wearing ABU's or service dress (one this weekend was in his jacket while doing oversight of a SAREx).

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Yeah, the RAPs at encampment tend to wear blues and ABUs more now than a few years ago. I don't know if they follow GLLR policy, general AF policy, or just what everybody decides to wear that day. ???
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006