Main Menu

CAP 39-1

Started by xSTxMozarTx, January 31, 2012, 10:59:31 PM

xSTxMozarTx

I've talked to my CC, XO, and DCC about the wear of the 1st Sgt chevrons as well as other uniform items in CAP. I was told that there are errors in CAP 39-1 and also it hasn't been updated. So there are items that should be in the 39-1 that aren't. I don't know if all this is true that is why I want all of your opinions on this matter. Also if there really is errors in the 39-1 what steps could we take to getting it fixed for all of CAP
-Mozart
C/CMSgt 1st Sgt
"The only easy day, was yesterday!"

Abby.L

Ya know, there are MANY things wrong with 39-1. As far as wear of the diamonds, I say go for it. It's one of those times that going against regs would be a good thing. So yes, it is true that 39-1 is a very messed up and outdated reg. As for how to fix it, that's above my pay(Or lack thereof) grade...  :angel:

And now I prepare for the flame war...
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Pylon

There indeed have been significant uniform changes since the last CAPM 39-1 was published.  At the time CAPM 39-1 (2005 edition) came out, the First Sergeant diamond had a written authorization for it in CAPR 52-16 (Cadet Programs Management).  In an effort to keep the uniform stuff in the uniform manual, it was decided to leave it out of the revised CAPR 52-16 and let it be edited into CAPM 39-1 the next time it was revised.  Unfortunately, CAPM 39-1 has not yet had those revisions completed.

Other changes that have happened since CAPM 39-1 was last published which have been covered in various Interim Change Letters (ICLs) but have yet to be incorporated into a new edition of the reg include (but are not limited to): 

• removal of Wing patches from blues; 
  • cadets wearing grade insignia on both collars; 
  • requirement for SM's to wear cloth grade insignia on the BDU & Blue BDU hats;
  • permission to wear the Goretex parka; 
  • the addition of the reverse US flag patch on BDUs;
  • making Wing patches optional on BDUs;
  • change on field uniforms to US Civil Air Patrol tapes; 
  • change on field uniforms back to regular Civil Air Patrol tapes;
  • introduction of the Corporate Service Uniform (aka: the blues/whites); 
  • several rounds of modifications of the Corporate Service Uniform;
  • the discontinuation of the Corporate Service Uniform;
  • change of the flight suit patch from the US Air Force Aux command-style patch to the US Civil Air Patrol command-style patch; 
  • change of the flight suit patch from the US Civil Air Patrol command-style patch to the Civil Air Patrol (minus the "US") command-style patch; 
  • authorization for wear of items awarded by National Blue Beret and Hawk Mountain (the current status of which is debatable and questioned); 
  • authorization for specialty insignia (other than aeronautical) to be worn on the ASNP;
  • introduction of the blue boonie hat for the Blue BDUs;
  • black t-shirts authorized with Blue BDU;
  • cloth grade insignia authorized in addition to plastic-encased grade insignia on Blue flight suits;
  • the creation of several badges, including one with unique placement: the embroidered/cloth commander's badge;
  • introduction of additional NCSA and special qualification/activity patches;
  • cadets over 18 being authorized to wear the white aviator shirt/grey slacks combo with the blue nameplate and cadet grade insignia;
  • and some other minor changes.
So yes, CAPM 39-1 by itself is not an accurate publication.  CAPM 39-1 in conjunction with all of the ICL's issued since its last publication in 2005 is more accurate...ish. 

And to answer your final question, there is a committee at the National level already reviewing CAPM 39-1 and everything that needs to be changed and included for the next publication.  It's not going to happen right away because of the sheer volume of changes and improvements that need to be made.  But the work is in progress.

I hope that answers some of your question.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

a2capt

I've got a version of the current 39-1 in MS Word now, mostly merged with ICLs and such, and obsolete information dumped. I'm working on the photo examples. ..

lordmonar

Quote from: xSTxMozarTx on January 31, 2012, 10:59:31 PM
I've talked to my CC, XO, and DCC about the wear of the 1st Sgt chevrons as well as other uniform items in CAP. I was told that there are errors in CAP 39-1 and also it hasn't been updated. So there are items that should be in the 39-1 that aren't. I don't know if all this is true that is why I want all of your opinions on this matter. Also if there really is errors in the 39-1 what steps could we take to getting it fixed for all of CAP
-Mozart
All true.

What is not helpful is our opinion.  Go with your CC's opinion and the opinion of his chain of command.  Anything we say here is just "our opinion" and is not useful to you.

As a cadet.....don't sweat it.  It is way outside of your scope.  The powers that be know of the problem...and they will or will not take care of them.

In the mean time....when in doubt....ask your chain of command.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: a2capt on January 31, 2012, 11:18:16 PM
I've got a version of the current 39-1 in MS Word now, mostly merged with ICLs and such, and obsolete information dumped. I'm working on the photo examples. ..
OOOO, can you PM me a copy?

If you need help with cadet uniforms, I can help.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

Knowing our a2capt as I do, I think he has the cadet uniform situation well in hand.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: xSTxMozarTx on January 31, 2012, 10:59:31 PM
I've talked to my CC, XO, and DCC

Deputy Commander for Cadets = CDC.

DCC = Director of Communications, Coffeemaker or something similar, IMHO   ::)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: a2capt on January 31, 2012, 11:18:16 PM

By the time you get that task completed something will have been changed to make your hard work for naught, unfortunately.

39-1 is so full of holes interpretation-wise it's no wonder we've got the uniform problems we have.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

Well, yeah- but the "hard" part is done. It's a flowable, electronic document now, not a hard scan.  I just wanted to integrate the ICLs that are applicable, and skip all the CSU stuff. Anything that is obsolite, just strike it out.

...and of course, with a pre-amble that says "this is a 'consolidated', fan-created piece of work" .. kinda thing. Sorta like all the chart products say "not for navigation" ;) But no text is changed.