How to fade my BDU's

Started by yeahididthat, April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM

Senior

I thought I had heard everything from a cadet.  Now I have. :o
Unbelievable.   :(

titanII

Quote from: octavian on April 27, 2011, 09:08:18 PM
If you want to set yourself apart from other cadets, learn all you can, attend every activity available to you, and work hard. 
That is right on. I don't mean to be harsh, but the only way you'll be setting yourself apart with a faded uniform is as the cadet with a grungy looking uniform.
No longer active on CAP talk

Dad2-4

Quote from: Senior on April 27, 2011, 09:17:06 PM
I thought I had heard everything from a cadet.  Now I have. :o
Unbelievable.   :(
No you haven't. Give it time. You'll eventually hear something new.  ::)

yeahididthat

Quote from: Eclipse on April 27, 2011, 08:55:42 PM
Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 08:20:18 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on April 27, 2011, 07:49:43 PM
Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM
I have a brand new pair of BDU's and i want them to look faded like salty marines BDUs. I hate the darker color of new BDU's.

Seriously? Don't be "that guy."

its my choice to be that guy alright
i set my self apart from the rest of my cadets and i like them faded

It actually isn't your choice - CAP has regs regarding appearance and standards, and your attitude regarding those standards will
directly reflect on your abilities as a cadet.  It's called a uniform for a reason - because it's supposed to be the same as all the others,
"standing out" in a paramilitary organization is supposed to be based on merit and accomplishment, not the color of your pants.
Alright I Agree with you but everyone has diffrent standards and preferences. I think that having your BDUs washed out white looking is horrible. I just want them fadded a little more so they are cooler in the summer because the fabric is lighter in color.

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 11:54:25 PM
Alright I Agree with you but everyone has diffrent standards and preferences. I think that having your BDUs washed out white looking is horrible. I just want them fadded a little more so they are cooler in the summer because the fabric is lighter in color.
The only "standards and preferences" you get to chose from are quite clearly outlined in CAPR 39-1.  I suggest you read it thoroughly cover to cover.

If you need assistance interpreting this REGULATION, let us know and we will gladly assist you.

yeahididthat

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on April 28, 2011, 12:00:51 AM
The only "standards and preferences" you get to chose from are quite clearly outlined in CAPR 39-1.  I suggest you read it thoroughly cover to cover.
I read that thing at least once a month like a story book and to tell you the truth, it was poorly written because their is many grey areas left in it. They should have made it more applicable to todays standards. A facelift for 39-1 should have been done along time ago.

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:03:59 AM
I read that thing at least once a month like a story book and to tell you the truth, it was poorly written because their is many grey areas left in it. They should have made it more applicable to todays standards. A facelift for 39-1 should have been done along time ago.
It is quite applicable to today's standards.  Review any other service's uniform manual (esp the US Air Force) and you will see the same thing.  If you wish to assist with a "face lift," submit your recommendations through your chain of command and due consideration will to taken.

manfredvonrichthofen

Your uniform being faded won't help you stay cooler in the heat. Knowing how to wear the uniform properly in the heat will. Wearing a proper fitting uniform and loosening the cuffs will help, as will paying attention to the heat category and adjusting the uniform for that heat cat will. Just remember when it comes to the heat cat pay attention to the uniform adjustments that are being allowed, and only adjust your uniform to that heat cat. Never forget to drink plenty of water and be sure that you are consuming the proper amount of food and salt to keep your body fueled. So long as you pay attention to what is going on with the weather and what your OIC is telling you to do you will be fine. It also helps not to starch your uniform heavily, starch will make your uniform unable to breath.
Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:03:59 AM

The gray areas are updates, not items that no longer apply.

davidsinn

The only "standards and preferences" you get to chose from are quite clearly outlined in CAPM 39-1.  I suggest you read it thoroughly cover to cover.

If you need assistance interpreting this REGULATION MANUAL, let us know and we will gladly assist you.

As for the topic: if you make it light enough to actually make a difference in the summer then they are so faded they are trash.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

yeahididthat

This I know but the chain of command drag their feet like the legal system on everything.

HGjunkie

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:09:01 AM
This I know but the chain of command drag their feet like the legal system on everything.

Yeah, no. That's not an excuse.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

yeahididthat

Quote from: davidsinn on April 28, 2011, 12:08:30 AM
The only "standards and preferences" you get to chose from are quite clearly outlined in CAPM 39-1.  I suggest you read it thoroughly cover to cover.

If you need assistance interpreting this REGULATION MANUAL, let us know and we will gladly assist you.

As for the topic: if you make it light enough to actually make a difference in the summer then they are so faded they are trash.

You cant say that because where does it say in 39-1 that you cant have faded bdus, also if there is such writings you cant say that faded too much becace what may look faded to the point of trash to you doesent mean its faded to the point of trash to someone else.

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: davidsinn on April 28, 2011, 12:08:30 AM

Oops... thank you for the correction.

yeahididthat

Quote from: HGjunkie on April 28, 2011, 12:10:55 AM

Never said it was an excuse i just pointed out the obvious

HGjunkie

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:12:28 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on April 28, 2011, 12:10:55 AM

Never said it was an excuse i just pointed out the obvious

And the COC is not always slow. It just depends on the situation.

Relevant to the topic at hand: Faded BDUs in my Squadron= you're getting a new set, no matter what.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

davidsinn

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:11:32 AM
You cant say that because where does it say in 39-1 that you cant have faded bdus, also if there is such writings you cant say that faded too much becace what may look faded to the point of trash to you doesent mean its faded to the point of trash to someone else.

In the manual it states no less than four times that clothing will be in good condition. Faded is not good condition. In one of the services manuals it actually states how many shades a piece may be faded before it must be replaced. That is an objective standard because a shade is a technical definition. Granted that's not our manual but good condition is not faded.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

mclarke

If you want to stay cooler here is my comment. When I was in the US Army (prior to ACUs), I was issued 4 sets of BDUs. Two sets were lighter weight material, and the other 2 a heavier weight. There you go.

Get lighter weight mater (www.cavpro.com will have them) and roll up the sleeves. Do not wear a heavier weight BDU cover (heat escapes thru your head), drink water, and lastly, ensure that when you are wearing a lighter T-Shirt. I also suggest jungle boots, way cooler (looking and temp wise) than the standard all-leather.

yeahididthat

Quote from: octavian on April 27, 2011, 09:08:18 PM
If you want to set yourself apart from other cadets, learn all you can, attend every activity available to you, and work hard.
you hit the nail on the head :clap: I do that for every activity.

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:11:32 AMYou cant say that because where does it say in 39-1 that you cant have faded bdus, also if there is such writings you cant say that faded too much becace what may look faded to the point of trash to you doesent mean its faded to the point of trash to someone else.

Just FYI.....
2-1. General Information. This chapter prescribes men's and women's service, dress, battle dress
uniform, flight suit, sweaters, outergarments, caps, and appearance.  Uniforms must be clean, neat and
correct in design and specifications, fitted properly,  pressed and in good condition (that is not frayed,
worn out, torn, faded, patched, and so forth
).  Uniform items are to be kept zipped, snapped, or buttoned. 
Shoes are to be shined and in  good repair.  NOTE:  All ribbons, badges, and devices worn by senior
members must fall below the top notch of the collar on the service coat or the bottom tip of the collar of
shirts/blouses worn as outergarments.  See Figures 2-1 through 2-25 for examples of the proper wear of
the various AF-style uniforms.  See Tables 2-1 and 2-3 for Men's Service Dress, Dress, and BDU
Uniforms.  See Tables 2-2 and 2-3 for Women's Service Dress, Dress and BDU Uniforms.  See Table
2-4 for Flight Suit.  See Table 2-5 for Clothing and Accessory Standards.

HGjunkie

I suppose if he wanted to, he could argue the ambiguity in "Faded," considering there's no set limit to how faded the BDU can get. Regardless, unless you're actually coming out of a warzone or deployment, don't disrespect the uniform like that. Countless heroes have sacrificed some, and some gave all to make that uniform mean what it means today. Cherish it. Respect it. Don't imitate "The salty guys," you haven't earned that. Stand behind what the uniform truly represents, which is the blood and sacrifice of countless American lives, not some notion that washing it out will make you more "Hardcore."
••• retired
2d Lt USAF