How to fade my BDU's

Started by yeahididthat, April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM

yeahididthat

I have a brand new pair of BDU's and i want them to look faded like salty marines BDUs. I hate the darker color of new BDU's.

davidsinn

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 07:45:04 PM
I have a brand new pair of BDU's and i want them to look faded like salty marines BDUs. I hate the darker color of new BDU's.

Seriously? Don't be "that guy."
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

Wow, that is all I can think of is wow.

Most people want to retain the crisp color of their brand new BDUs. They look more professional than faded BDUs. Mine have started to fade, and I am about ready to go get a new set because of it. Keep them looking new as much as possible.

If you are trying to look like a "salty Marine" you are in CAP for the wrong reason. I suggest you look at CAP's national history and your wing's history and if possible your squadron's history to get some new motivation and become proud of being in CAP and not try to be a Marine in CAP.

ElectricPenguin

Buy a bad brand. They will fade quickly.

davidsinn

If you really want a faded uniform go out and do something and earn it legitimately. Right now in my wing we have a few dozen members that have been sandbagging for two and a half days and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Those people have earned faded uniforms. You're not a Marine nor are you old enough to be "salty." I'm not old enough to be salty.

Don't be a poser or a wannabe.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

mclarke

Um, a faded BDU set only says "I do not care about my appearance". If anything, keep the solid look. Use UV protection detergent (I use Hunters Specialty Laundry Detergent to keep color).

MIKE

Fake-salty is not Salty.  Real Salty takes time... or really bad field laundry facilities.
Mike Johnston

yeahididthat

wow i love the supporting community here my service in cap really gets me places  thanks guys :clap:

yeahididthat

Quote from: davidsinn on April 27, 2011, 07:49:43 PM

its my choice to be that guy alright
i set my self apart from the rest of my cadets and i like them faded

davidsinn

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 08:20:18 PM

If you want to set yourself apart from the other cadets earn your Spaatz.

Having the only faded uniform in a formation makes you look funny.

You have the privilege of wearing the uniform of The United States; a uniform that is stained in the blood of people that are greater and more honorable than you or I could ever be. Wear it right or don't wear it at all.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hawk200

Quote from: mclarke on April 27, 2011, 08:04:37 PM
Um, a faded BDU set only says "I do not care about my appearance". If anything, keep the solid look. Use UV protection detergent (I use Hunters Specialty Laundry Detergent to keep color).
That's useful info. Where's a good place to pick some up?

Many people consider "that guy" a fake. You may like the look, but if you haven't put the time in, few people are going to take you seriously. The salty look is one thing in Iraq, but in the States it's not something that's appreciated.

Second, "setting yourself apart" in that manner doesn't present a team player. Set yourself apart by doing more than the minimum. Work hard, instead of trying to adopt an appearance that you do. Work with your team, not as a loner. Don't try to adopt terminology that doesn't apply to cadets in CAP. Be a real cadet, and not a fake Marine (or any other military member).

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 27, 2011, 08:40:16 PM
The salty look is one thing in Iraq, but in the States it's not something that's appreciated.

That is very true, I BOUGHT a new pair of ACUs when I got back into garrison, because I know a good looking uniform is part of the professional image, and field stains aren't a desirable thing on a professional's suit.

Eclipse

Amazing - most of us here argue about whether to dry clean and starch our uniforms so they will continue to look new...

"That Others May Zoom"

Persona non grata

wow! they make morale tabs that say "That Guy" on them.    On a serious note,keep your BDU'S looking good.  Please dont wear face paint your not Gunny Highway.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Thrashed

I thought we were supposed to replace faded uniforms?  How about cutting holes in the pants to have the cool worn look?

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

It actually isn't your choice - CAP has regs regarding appearance and standards, and your attitude regarding those standards will
directly reflect on your abilities as a cadet.  It's called a uniform for a reason - because it's supposed to be the same as all the others,
"standing out" in a paramilitary organization is supposed to be based on merit and accomplishment, not the color of your pants.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 27, 2011, 08:45:03 PMThat is very true, I BOUGHT a new pair of ACUs when I got back into garrison, because I know a good looking uniform is part of the professional image, and field stains aren't a desirable thing on a professional's suit.
Almost did that myself. I washed the set I was wearing when I got to As Saliyah, it seemed to remove a lot of the yellow tone. Once I got back Stateside and threw them in the washer, I stopped the wash cycle and let them soak for a couple hours. Took a few washes, but finally got them to the point where they were presentable. Something about the yellow tone made them look faded, but once I got that tone out, they looked a lot better. Thankfully, I only had to get a couple sets instead of replacing them all.

I remember a conversation only a few months ago with a fellow Iraqi vet in the local unit. He thought it was a little ridiculous that some cadets were trying to wear old looking uniforms. As he said, "There were times over there that I would have killed to have something brand new, and these kids want to look like they walked out of the desert." I was kind of glad to hear him say it, I hated thinking that I was the only person that thought so.

lordmonar

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 08:19:01 PM
wow i love the supporting community here my service in cap really gets me places  thanks guys :clap:
Look cadet.  We are just trying to help you out.  You want to be a posser.....go right ahead.  You won't win any point but go ahead.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mclarke

Can I iron in a tobacco chew imprint in my rear pocket as well?

On a serious note, I do believe we actually are suppose to replace faded uniforms. In addition to that, I sincerely hope that if you attend an event you have a better set available. If there is an inspection you will most likely be docked pointed/merits (however they score it) for a faded uniform, which in turn may cost the flight as a whole.

Remember, any actions you choose to take affect not only yourself, but the entire Civil Air Patrol. That includes personal appearance.

octavian

If you want to set yourself apart from other cadets, learn all you can, attend every activity available to you, and work hard. 

Senior

I thought I had heard everything from a cadet.  Now I have. :o
Unbelievable.   :(

titanII

Quote from: octavian on April 27, 2011, 09:08:18 PM
If you want to set yourself apart from other cadets, learn all you can, attend every activity available to you, and work hard. 
That is right on. I don't mean to be harsh, but the only way you'll be setting yourself apart with a faded uniform is as the cadet with a grungy looking uniform.
No longer active on CAP talk

Dad2-4

Quote from: Senior on April 27, 2011, 09:17:06 PM
I thought I had heard everything from a cadet.  Now I have. :o
Unbelievable.   :(
No you haven't. Give it time. You'll eventually hear something new.  ::)

yeahididthat

Quote from: Eclipse on April 27, 2011, 08:55:42 PM

It actually isn't your choice - CAP has regs regarding appearance and standards, and your attitude regarding those standards will
directly reflect on your abilities as a cadet.  It's called a uniform for a reason - because it's supposed to be the same as all the others,
"standing out" in a paramilitary organization is supposed to be based on merit and accomplishment, not the color of your pants.
Alright I Agree with you but everyone has diffrent standards and preferences. I think that having your BDUs washed out white looking is horrible. I just want them fadded a little more so they are cooler in the summer because the fabric is lighter in color.

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 27, 2011, 11:54:25 PM
Alright I Agree with you but everyone has diffrent standards and preferences. I think that having your BDUs washed out white looking is horrible. I just want them fadded a little more so they are cooler in the summer because the fabric is lighter in color.
The only "standards and preferences" you get to chose from are quite clearly outlined in CAPR 39-1.  I suggest you read it thoroughly cover to cover.

If you need assistance interpreting this REGULATION, let us know and we will gladly assist you.

yeahididthat

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on April 28, 2011, 12:00:51 AM
The only "standards and preferences" you get to chose from are quite clearly outlined in CAPR 39-1.  I suggest you read it thoroughly cover to cover.
I read that thing at least once a month like a story book and to tell you the truth, it was poorly written because their is many grey areas left in it. They should have made it more applicable to todays standards. A facelift for 39-1 should have been done along time ago.

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:03:59 AM
I read that thing at least once a month like a story book and to tell you the truth, it was poorly written because their is many grey areas left in it. They should have made it more applicable to todays standards. A facelift for 39-1 should have been done along time ago.
It is quite applicable to today's standards.  Review any other service's uniform manual (esp the US Air Force) and you will see the same thing.  If you wish to assist with a "face lift," submit your recommendations through your chain of command and due consideration will to taken.

manfredvonrichthofen

Your uniform being faded won't help you stay cooler in the heat. Knowing how to wear the uniform properly in the heat will. Wearing a proper fitting uniform and loosening the cuffs will help, as will paying attention to the heat category and adjusting the uniform for that heat cat will. Just remember when it comes to the heat cat pay attention to the uniform adjustments that are being allowed, and only adjust your uniform to that heat cat. Never forget to drink plenty of water and be sure that you are consuming the proper amount of food and salt to keep your body fueled. So long as you pay attention to what is going on with the weather and what your OIC is telling you to do you will be fine. It also helps not to starch your uniform heavily, starch will make your uniform unable to breath.
Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:03:59 AM

The gray areas are updates, not items that no longer apply.

davidsinn

The only "standards and preferences" you get to chose from are quite clearly outlined in CAPM 39-1.  I suggest you read it thoroughly cover to cover.

If you need assistance interpreting this REGULATION MANUAL, let us know and we will gladly assist you.

As for the topic: if you make it light enough to actually make a difference in the summer then they are so faded they are trash.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

yeahididthat

This I know but the chain of command drag their feet like the legal system on everything.

HGjunkie

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:09:01 AM
This I know but the chain of command drag their feet like the legal system on everything.

Yeah, no. That's not an excuse.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

yeahididthat

Quote from: davidsinn on April 28, 2011, 12:08:30 AM
The only "standards and preferences" you get to chose from are quite clearly outlined in CAPM 39-1.  I suggest you read it thoroughly cover to cover.

If you need assistance interpreting this REGULATION MANUAL, let us know and we will gladly assist you.

As for the topic: if you make it light enough to actually make a difference in the summer then they are so faded they are trash.

You cant say that because where does it say in 39-1 that you cant have faded bdus, also if there is such writings you cant say that faded too much becace what may look faded to the point of trash to you doesent mean its faded to the point of trash to someone else.

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: davidsinn on April 28, 2011, 12:08:30 AM

Oops... thank you for the correction.

yeahididthat

Quote from: HGjunkie on April 28, 2011, 12:10:55 AM

Never said it was an excuse i just pointed out the obvious

HGjunkie

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:12:28 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on April 28, 2011, 12:10:55 AM

Never said it was an excuse i just pointed out the obvious

And the COC is not always slow. It just depends on the situation.

Relevant to the topic at hand: Faded BDUs in my Squadron= you're getting a new set, no matter what.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

davidsinn

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:11:32 AM
You cant say that because where does it say in 39-1 that you cant have faded bdus, also if there is such writings you cant say that faded too much becace what may look faded to the point of trash to you doesent mean its faded to the point of trash to someone else.

In the manual it states no less than four times that clothing will be in good condition. Faded is not good condition. In one of the services manuals it actually states how many shades a piece may be faded before it must be replaced. That is an objective standard because a shade is a technical definition. Granted that's not our manual but good condition is not faded.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

mclarke

If you want to stay cooler here is my comment. When I was in the US Army (prior to ACUs), I was issued 4 sets of BDUs. Two sets were lighter weight material, and the other 2 a heavier weight. There you go.

Get lighter weight mater (www.cavpro.com will have them) and roll up the sleeves. Do not wear a heavier weight BDU cover (heat escapes thru your head), drink water, and lastly, ensure that when you are wearing a lighter T-Shirt. I also suggest jungle boots, way cooler (looking and temp wise) than the standard all-leather.

yeahididthat

you hit the nail on the head :clap: I do that for every activity.

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:11:32 AMYou cant say that because where does it say in 39-1 that you cant have faded bdus, also if there is such writings you cant say that faded too much becace what may look faded to the point of trash to you doesent mean its faded to the point of trash to someone else.

Just FYI.....
2-1. General Information. This chapter prescribes men's and women's service, dress, battle dress
uniform, flight suit, sweaters, outergarments, caps, and appearance.  Uniforms must be clean, neat and
correct in design and specifications, fitted properly,  pressed and in good condition (that is not frayed,
worn out, torn, faded, patched, and so forth
).  Uniform items are to be kept zipped, snapped, or buttoned. 
Shoes are to be shined and in  good repair.  NOTE:  All ribbons, badges, and devices worn by senior
members must fall below the top notch of the collar on the service coat or the bottom tip of the collar of
shirts/blouses worn as outergarments.  See Figures 2-1 through 2-25 for examples of the proper wear of
the various AF-style uniforms.  See Tables 2-1 and 2-3 for Men's Service Dress, Dress, and BDU
Uniforms.  See Tables 2-2 and 2-3 for Women's Service Dress, Dress and BDU Uniforms.  See Table
2-4 for Flight Suit.  See Table 2-5 for Clothing and Accessory Standards.

HGjunkie

I suppose if he wanted to, he could argue the ambiguity in "Faded," considering there's no set limit to how faded the BDU can get. Regardless, unless you're actually coming out of a warzone or deployment, don't disrespect the uniform like that. Countless heroes have sacrificed some, and some gave all to make that uniform mean what it means today. Cherish it. Respect it. Don't imitate "The salty guys," you haven't earned that. Stand behind what the uniform truly represents, which is the blood and sacrifice of countless American lives, not some notion that washing it out will make you more "Hardcore."
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:24:53 AM

If you do what you say you do, then the fading will come naturally if you are involved enough in the program like you want your uniform to suggest.
I have been in CAP for only 5 1/2 years and have had my share of activities (7 encampments, 2 NCSAs, Countless wing activities). My uniforms show the wear and tear of a highly-involved, dedicated cadet who has been in for a while, but nowhere close to the fading of those who have been in for several decades and who have served in the military. Now, I don't know how long you have been in CAP, but I can only guess for a little bit based on your track record on CAPTalk. The people in your squadron will observe that you have done something to your uniform in order to look like you have experience. They will know the real story, and you most likely won't be taken any more serious than you are now (even if that is pretty serious).
My only suggestion is to take the suggestions of those that are on this forum (which YOU decided to ask and get opinions from) and just live with the uniform you have now. Natural wear and tear are better for the uniform then artificial wear and tear and your uniform will last longer. The people that YOU asked are also more likely more experienced in general life and have more than (naturally)faded uniforms to show it.
Also, look at the reg quote, graciously pulled from CAPM39-1 by 1stLtNurseOfficer. It does make comment about appearance and fading.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on April 27, 2011, 08:55:42 PM

Fading doesn't make a difference in heat. The nature of the fabric is independent of the color. A salty top is earned with service, not manipulating the fabric. Your stripes are what decides how salty you look, along with specialtiy patches that you earn from events/activities. You are better off rolling your sleeves and having breathable boots, and a ventilated patrol cap that goes with a nice buzz cut. Also, a quick tip for keeping cool is to have a nice under shirt. If I'm not mistaken, the regulations say nothing about the shirts having to be only cotton, so a nice black or brown under armor shirt could be worn.

HGjunkie

UnderArmor exercise shirts= Beast mode. I've got 4 of 'em, and they're great for hot weather.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Spaceman3750

Quote from: HGjunkie on April 28, 2011, 02:12:14 AM
UnderArmor exercise shirts= Beast mode. I've got 4 of 'em, and they're great for hot weather.

Where can I find this "beast mode" button, and is it on my BBDUs as well? >:D

HGjunkie

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 28, 2011, 02:50:30 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on April 28, 2011, 02:12:14 AM

Where can I find this "beast mode" button, and is it on my BBDUs as well? >:D

I believe I unlocked the button after selecting the "fork over some more money" option. For BBDU types, I believe it becomes available after deciding what color shirt you want.  8)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Slim

This thread reminds me of the probie (probationary, rookie, new guy) firefighter I ran across once.  The condition of our turnout gear and helmets were almost like a resume' to veteran firefighters; the more dirty your gear was, and the discoloration of your helmet told others how experienced and aggressive you were as a firefighter.

I realize the current, conventional wisdom is to regularly clean/maintain your turnouts lest the hydrocarbons build up to the point of combustion.  Even so, once they've seen some work, they'll never look good as new.

Along comes this probie who wanted the look, but didn't want to wait to earn it.  He set fire to a pile of leaves (from his own yard), put on his bright, shiny new turnouts, put the fire out, then rolled around in the ashes to dirty up his gear.  He also held his shiny new yellow helmet over a burning barbecue grill so the heat would discolor it and "smoke" it up.  When we realized what he'd done, we ran his gear through the washer, and cleaned up his helmet for him.

We told him the same thing I'll tell the OP here:  If you want the look bad enough, work for it, put in your time, do your job, and earn it.  Seriously, after a few trips through the laundry, they'll start to fade a little, and give the the comfortable look you want. 

Slim

Major Lord

The best way to fade your BDU's is to wear them day and night for weeks at a time and soak them from the inside out in the sweat of raw fear and pain. That's how Jack Bauer would do it. I actually have less of a problem with BDU's in good condition, but  faded, than I do with BDU's soaked in starch so that they will burn like a sparkler on the fourth of July, or like a really dedicated peace protester and a gallon of gasoline. Trying to turn BDU's into a dress uniform is like trying to Canonize a Chicago Politician.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Майор Хаткевич

What Slim said.

As a self admitted "almost at Mitchell" cadet, you need to act accordingly. By C/CMSgt, about 1.5 years in, my first set was showing discoloration. All it meant? I got a new set.

indygreg

Quote from: Major Lord on April 28, 2011, 04:37:26 AM
That's how Jack Bauer would do it.

Major Lord

Jack Bauer's BDU's would probably have some terrorist blood on them, as well.  It's actually kinda funny picturing him at a CAP mission base yelling"Get those planes in the air! We're running out of time! "

I miss Jack :'(

yeahididthat

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on April 28, 2011, 01:04:00 AM

If you do what you say you do, then the fading will come naturally if you are involved enough in the program like you want your uniform to suggest.
I have been in CAP for only 5 1/2 years and have had my share of activities (7 encampments, 2 NCSAs, Countless wing activities). My uniforms show the wear and tear of a highly-involved, dedicated cadet who has been in for a while, but nowhere close to the fading of those who have been in for several decades and who have served in the military. Now, I don't know how long you have been in CAP, but I can only guess for a little bit based on your track record on CAPTalk. The people in your squadron will observe that you have done something to your uniform in order to look like you have experience. They will know the real story, and you most likely won't be taken any more serious than you are now (even if that is pretty serious).
My only suggestion is to take the suggestions of those that are on this forum (which YOU decided to ask and get opinions from) and just live with the uniform you have now. Natural wear and tear are better for the uniform then artificial wear and tear and your uniform will last longer. The people that YOU asked are also more likely more experienced in general life and have more than (naturally)faded uniforms to show it.
Also, look at the reg quote, graciously pulled from CAPM39-1 by 1stLtNurseOfficer. It does make comment about appearance and fading.
I have been in cap for almost 4 years now I used to have a faded pair i just wanted to have the faded style back because thats what I am used to.

yeahididthat

Yes I understand 39-1 say no to faded bdus, but how much is too much? Their is no pictures in 39-1, defining too much fading.

Майор Хаткевич

4 years, supposedly a C/SNCO, and this is your attitude?

mclarke

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:39:55 PM

Yes I understand 39-1 say no to faded bdus, but how much is too much? Their is no pictures in 39-1, defining too much fading.

Well, put it this way. If you hold a new uniform next an old one and you see a significant difference, there too faded.

If when you stand with your flight, you can be singled out, there too faded.

If you look like "dust" instead of "jungle bright", there too faded.

NOTE: Note, when it doubt, replace.

(As a side note, you should not need more than 2 sets of BDUs, so, I tend replace mine every year. Use UV safe detergents, do not leave them prolonged in the sun, and if possible, air dry them. Irons them at least monthly. They should last a good year or 2).

yeahididthat

I iron them religiously everyday unless I am out of town.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 01:14:18 PM

Every day?!?!?! You only wear them once, maybe twice a week!

We all set our priorities and we all have to live with our decisions about what is our priority, but I think there's something else you can be doing with that daily ironing time, be it doing something else personally, or contributing in some other way to CAP.

mclarke

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 28, 2011, 01:16:40 PM

We all set our priorities and we all have to live with our decisions about what is our priority, but I think there's something else you can be doing with that daily ironing time, be it doing something else personally, or contributing in some other way to CAP.

Like recruiting, ironing boots, looking at the squadron and where improvements can be made, then coming up with way to fix it and present them at the next meeting.

yeahididthat

Quote from: mclarke on April 28, 2011, 01:29:43 PM

Like recruiting, ironing boots, looking at the squadron and where improvements can be made, then coming up with way to fix it and present them at the next meeting.

I do all of the above everyday. I love cap I treat it like a job, the real military. I shine my boots shoes everyday. Werid but, ironing, shoe/boot shining is actually fun. I love doing it all day everyday when im not at school.

yeahididthat

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 01:34:14 PM
Quote from: mclarke on April 28, 2011, 01:29:43 PM

I do all of the above everyday. I love cap I treat it like a job, the real military. I shine my boots shoes everyday. Werid but, ironing, shoe/boot shining is actually fun. I love doing it all day everyday when im not at school.
And i do plenty of recuiting i have the recruiters ribbon with 4 bronze clasps.

Major Carrales

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on April 28, 2011, 12:43:16 PM

And how would you know this?  I am assuming you went back and looked at his post and did not violate e-services.  (just a friendly warning that the latter does happen)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 28, 2011, 02:29:43 PM

And how would you know this?  I am assuming you went back and looked at his post and did not violate e-services.  (just a friendly warning that the latter does happen)

I don't know about the time but he did state he was nearing Mitchell in another thread. So far I haven't even seen him mention what wing he's in much less a name or anything that could be used to look him up.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hawk200

Here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=12810.msg232748#msg232748

And here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=6280.msg232750#msg232750

He has put it forth on his own, no E-Services search necessary.(Hopefully, the above links will show in the proper manner for everyone else.)

AngelWings

Nevermind what I typed. If you are a C/SNCO and talking about faded BDU's, I have no words.

Eclipse

I knew he was a cadet with his first post. 

The idea, cadence, responses, and manner of "speech" all said "cadet".

"That Others May Zoom"

RVT

Quote from: HGjunkie on April 28, 2011, 03:05:05 AMI believe I unlocked the button after selecting the "fork over some more money" option. For BBDU types, I believe it becomes available after deciding what color shirt you want.  8)

We actually have BDU fading problem here in CAWG due to the nature of the ground team uniform.  You wear full BBDU to the search base, then leave the top behind and do all of your outdoor activity with an orange shirt.  When you come back in you switch back.

How much of this do you think it takes before the top & bottom don't match?

Майор Хаткевич

What others have said. I am college AWOL Cadet turned SM, waiting on Patron...

I have access to e-services, but no idea how to look up anyone up outside my Unit...

Either way, he said he was nearing Mitchell Award in one topic. That he was in for 4 years in another topic. That he is a C/SMSgt in a 3rd.

No magic needed.

FlyTiger77

As someone who is currently sitting in Iraq, and who daily sees Soldiers and Marines in faded uniforms from spending long, hot hours outside, I can only shake my head sadly and think that there is yet another cadet who truly doesn't understand what CAP is supposed to be about.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

ol'fido

In 30 some odd years, I have seen a lot of cadets come down the line with this kind of attitude. Most of them quickly tire of CAP as they approach enlistment age. They join the Marines or the Army to go Recon or SF. You often see them a few years later working at a surplus store or a gun store. What happened to the military you ask them? "I hurt my knee" or "I had tinitis" they say. What usually happened was they got a bus ticket home from Benning or Parris Island with paperwork that said something to the affect of "UNABLE TO ADAPT TO MILITARY LIFE"
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Arrow

Quote from: ol'fido on April 28, 2011, 11:11:00 PM
In 30 some odd years, I have seen a lot of cadets come down the line with this kind of attitude. Most of them quickly tire of CAP as they approach enlistment age. They join the Marines or the Army to go Recon or SF. You often see them a few years later working at a surplus store or a gun store. What happened to the military you ask them? "I hurt my knee" or "I had tinitis" they say. What usually happened was they got a bus ticket home from Benning or Parris Island with paperwork that said something to the affect of "UNABLE TO ADAPT TO MILITARY LIFE"

I've seen this happen too. One cadet retired from his squadron (that I shall not name), enlisted in the Army and came back with a "Failure to Cope" discharge during Basic Combat Training. The guy always wore tactical gear and kevlar helmets on ground team missions. Please, don't be like this guy.
C/2dLt Iain Davis, CAP.

Tim Medeiros

I have a feeling this will change within the next few years as more demands are placed and time gets shorter.

I'm sitting here in pipeline (initial training) status and I've barely touched my iron except to touch up my blues before an inspection.  My ABUs have only seen an iron to remove chalk marks from placement of my stripes, same goes for my service dress jacket and lightweight blue jacket.  My BDUs (from CAP) see an iron MAYBE once in a blue moon simply to touch up what normal wear did to the dry cleaning.

Back in the day, I was high speed like yeahididthat, maybe not to the extreme, but I was still highly motivated.  What changed is that I learned tips and tricks to keep my uniform looking good, yet leave time to have a social life and get good grades in school as well as maintain a positive home atmosphere (read as not getting in trouble with the parental unit, for the most part).
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

BTCS1*

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 28, 2011, 10:11:14 PM

As someone who is currently sitting in Iraq, and who daily sees Soldiers and Marines in faded uniforms from spending long, hot hours outside, I can only shake my head sadly and think that there is yet another cadet who truly doesn't understand what CAP is supposed to be about.

Good luck, Sir. Get home safe.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

BTCS1*

If you were an even semi-active cadet for four years, your BDUs would certainly show some fade. I've been in for a bit over two years and mine are getting there, but I grew and have to get a new set anyway. Then again, I consider myself to be a very active cadet.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

I have been back in CAP for just shy of one year after getting out of the Army and I am already saying my uniform is too faded to look professional. It will work for a field uniform, but I am getting a new set this week.

Майор Хаткевич

At at-least 16 years old, other things SHOULD be pre-occupying you.

Starlock

I'm hoping this cadet/ "cadet" is trolling or just messing with us. I got told off at my basic encampment for having somewhat faded BDU's. If they are faded it looks ratty, unprofessional, and puts a bad image on the rest of us. How about we look at it from a professional, uniform aspect instead of selfish?  ;) the reason that you wear a uniform is to make you look like everyone else. that's what uniformity is.

RVT

Quote from: Starlock on May 02, 2011, 08:35:15 PMI'm hoping this cadet/ "cadet" is trolling or just messing with us. I got told off at my basic encampment for having somewhat faded BDU's. If they are faded it looks ratty, unprofessional, and puts a bad image on the rest of us. How about we look at it from a professional, uniform aspect instead of selfish?  ;) the reason that you wear a uniform is to make you look like everyone else. that's what uniformity is.

I retired from the Army with several sets of fairly crisp BDU that I only wear because I still have a minty field jacket to go with them.  When it all starts looking bad (or is phased out)  I will replace it en masse with BBDU stuff.

Unfortunately in California with BBDU we have an entirely different fading problem - namely that if you are involved in ground team operations at all it doesn't take long for your BBDU top and bottom to cease matching shades.

Hawk200

Quote from: RVT on May 02, 2011, 09:35:15 PM
Quote from: Starlock on May 02, 2011, 08:35:15 PMI'm hoping this cadet/ "cadet" is trolling or just messing with us. I got told off at my basic encampment for having somewhat faded BDU's. If they are faded it looks ratty, unprofessional, and puts a bad image on the rest of us. How about we look at it from a professional, uniform aspect instead of selfish?  ;) the reason that you wear a uniform is to make you look like everyone else. that's what uniformity is.

I retired from the Army with several sets of fairly crisp BDU that I only wear because I still have a minty field jacket to go with them.  When it all starts looking bad (or is phased out)  I will replace it en masse with BBDU stuff.

Unfortunately in California with BBDU we have an entirely different fading problem - namely that if you are involved in ground team operations at all it doesn't take long for your BBDU top and bottom to cease matching shades.
I may use that to push the idea of just a shirt that's orange for wear up the chain. Can't match shades with different colors.

ol'fido

When I ETS'd most of my BDUs weren't faded. They were a solid reddish brown from collar to cuffs. The volcanic clay dirt will do that. It usually took about two or three showers before I stopped looking like my BDUs.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AngelWings

BDU's should be tapered to the body (fit good) and look sharp. Faded is not sharp and it irritates me when I hear stuff like this. I 'm personally into perserving all of my uniforms until they reach the end of their usefullness and need to be trashed or recycled into other things (like making gear or becoming another item I'll keep for my future :) ). We all say and think weird things sometimes, and I for one, believe that asking to fade a new looking set of BDU's is weird, mainly because we all strive to have professional looking BDU's so we look the part of being a USAF auxillary, and fading (espically when nobody else has a faded set) breaks up uniformity in a few different respective. This type of comment makes me think of new blood trying to look like some movie character, or to just look "cool". There are only a few things that could/should be faded, like a high and tight,

Hawk200

Quote from: Littleguy on May 03, 2011, 06:25:39 PM
BDU's should be tapered to the body (fit good)...
Gonna need to see a reference on that. Blues, yes; don't think that applies to BDUs.

AngelWings

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 03, 2011, 08:27:48 PM
Gonna need to see a reference on that. Blues, yes; don't think that applies to BDUs.
Reason why I said should. An extremely baggy or spandex tight set of BDU's wouldn't look good.

Hawk200

Quote from: Littleguy on May 03, 2011, 08:49:36 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on May 03, 2011, 08:27:48 PM
Reason why I said should. An extremely baggy or spandex tight set of BDU's wouldn't look good.
BDUs don't fit tapered, they're not designed to do so. The proper wear is by the size referenced on the BDUs themselves. They'll be loose, but not baggy.

jimmydeanno

My BDU blouse is tapered.  It goes in at the waist and out at the hips.  I know that most of our seniors' BDUs don't go in at the waist, but that doesn't mean that they are designed to be paper bags.  My old set of BDUs, with the waist buttons on the blouse are obviously intended to make the blouse taper.

I agree that they shouldn't be like spandex, but shouldn't look like a size 36 dude wearing a size 52 flightsuit.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Your BDU's should fit properly.....there are a thousand bloody sizes...get the one that fits best.

By saying that they should be "tapered" kind of implies that we should be taking them out to get altered like the Honor Guard types do to their blues.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Lord

I think that most cadet uniforms fade due to excessive washing, hot-glued seams, pockets, and patches, hot ironing, spray starch, and other crimes against nature.  When they become shiny or threadbare, its time to throw them in the trash and start fresh. There is no shame in a brand new uniform ( unless you are a 2d Lt)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on May 03, 2011, 10:17:54 PMBy saying that they should be "tapered" kind of implies that we should be taking them out to get altered like the Honor Guard types do to their blues.
That's exactly what I thought when I read it. The manual talks about a tapered appearance, but it's not applied to BDU's.

I have know people that for some unknown reason actually had BDU's tailored. And they all were told to get new ones, as modifications to that uniform weren't authorized. They were unhappy campers.

RVT

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 02, 2011, 10:36:29 PMI may use that to push the idea of just a shirt that's orange for wear up the chain. Can't match shades with different colors.

Thats what is actually causing the problem.  We HAVE an orange shirt for ground team use, but you keep wearing the blue BDU pants.  They fade from use - but the top half is only worn in your car getting to and from the search base, and doesn't fade - or even get dirty enough to need to be washed.

If the orange over blue combination was authorised to be worn in an off duty status it would be a lot simpler, but CAWG regulations do not allow for it.

SarDragon

How about just washing both pieces together, anyway? Then they will still fade evenly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FlyTiger77

Quote from: BTCS1* on April 29, 2011, 01:39:30 AM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 28, 2011, 10:11:14 PM

Good luck, Sir. Get home safe.

Thanks. I intend to.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

JC004

i want them to look faded like salty marines BDUs. I hate the darker color of new BDU's.

I just want them fadded a little more so they are cooler in the summer because the fabric is lighter in color.

Quote from: yeahididthat on April 28, 2011, 12:34:01 PM
i just wanted to have the faded style back because thats what I am used to.

which is it?

a2capt

LOL.. and all this time, I'm trying to find the ones that are darker, slightly subdued kinda looking, in winter weight... and you possibly don't like 'em. Can't please everyone...

I need to just ask the cadets where they got 'em.. bought new, not DRMO or such.

Hawk200

I think the OP has got it by now.

SarDragon

Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret