White aviator shirt

Started by BradM, December 27, 2010, 07:18:26 PM

BradM

Hello, is the white short sleeved aviator shirt supposed to have military creases on the sleeves?

Thanks!
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

lordmonar

"military creases" is not the same thing as creasing the sleeves.

military creases is where the they fold a quarter of the shirt vertical through the pockets and create two creases down the front of the shift.

DO NOT ASK FOR MILITARY CREASES!

But to answer your question....the sleeves should be creased.....the crease should run from the back of the epaulet to the center of the sleeve.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BradM

Thank you :) I have a "new in package" white aviator shirt and plan on taking it in this Wednesday to the dry cleaners. I'll tell them only crease the sleeves.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

a2capt

39-1 Says the "Sleeve crease is centered on epaulet.", but only in the same paragraphs when speaking of the AF Blue shirt. Creases are not even mentioned anywhere the aviator shirt is. The few photos of uniforms in 39-1 showing the aviator shirt, creases are not evident of visible either.

For purposes of uniformity and presentation, ironed with creased sleeves would be my choice.

But the creases centered vs starting at the back side of the epaulet are always a challenge, I end up having to do it myself, as the commercial cleaners darn near always do it the natural way with the cut. Despite that I have blatant creases when  turn them in, and make note on the order. I'll usually get back the stuff with one shirt done totally wrong, or one sleeve on each of two out of three shirts, done right and the other done wrong. Either way, I'm fixing two sleeves.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Echoing what others say: do not ask for military creases.  Just a good pressing will make your aviator shirt look good.

Suggestion: If we absolutely HAVE to have greys, why not replace the white aviator shirt with a blue airline-cut one, still made by Van Heusen and still not what the AF uses?

With CAP insignia and STANDARDISED dark-grey trousers, those would look a sight better than the mall cop grey/white.

I'm not suggesting the striping.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BradM

Better yet, the Air Force should just allow nicely trimmed goatees now. Starfleet does! ;) See the last Star Trek movie :) then I wouldnt need the white aviator shirt with gray slacks.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

The CyBorg is destroyed

Beards are an old Naval tradition, even though the USN/USCG don't allow it.

(note the RCN Admiral standing behind Queen Elizabeth II)

Not likely to be allowed by the USAF, though I see where you're coming from. I know a lot of members whose only disqualification for the USAF blues is facial hair.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

indygreg

Quote from: CyBorg on December 27, 2010, 10:20:38 PM
Echoing what others say: do not ask for military creases.  Just a good pressing will make your aviator shirt look good.

Suggestion: If we absolutely HAVE to have greys, why not replace the white aviator shirt with a blue airline-cut one, still made by Van Heusen and still not what the AF uses?

With CAP insignia and STANDARDISED dark-grey trousers, those would look a sight better than the mall cop grey/white.

I'm not suggesting the striping.

I could get behind that uniform, but it'll never happen.

BradM

Quote from: CyBorg on December 27, 2010, 10:40:09 PM

(note the RCN Admiral standing behind Queen Elizabeth II)

Not likely to be allowed by the USAF, though I see where you're coming from. I know a lot of members whose only disqualification for the USAF blues is facial hair.

I had a goatee like this one then shaved it off last summer and went to just a mustache. But I'm growing it back now. I prefer to have a goatee. Since I'm new to CAP I dont have much in the way of ribbons, badges, rank epaulettes to wear the Air Force uniform. Perhaps in a year or two :) This coming Feb 18th I'll be a Senior Member for 6 months.

This is me in a WWII uniform I put together for re-enacting. Taken Oct 2010.

And me a year ago with the goatee.

Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: indygreg on December 27, 2010, 10:44:49 PM
I could get behind that uniform, but it'll never happen.

Because it has the verboten colour of blue?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

manfredvonrichthofen

If a member were to wear the corporate uniforms, I still want to see a clean shave and a haircut within Mil Reg. I know that is not the case so I don't say anything at all, nor am I in the position to tell someone that being a butter bar. I just think a uniform should have a clean cut look.

BradM

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 27, 2010, 10:56:31 PM
If a member were to wear the corporate uniforms, I still want to see a clean shave and a haircut within Mil Reg. I know that is not the case so I don't say anything at all, nor am I in the position to tell someone that being a butter bar. I just think a uniform should have a clean cut look.

I think if you're in your late 20s and over a nicely trimmed goatee with a short and proper hair cut is still a clean cut look. I was told by a retired Air Force major that the hairless chin was because of skin oils mixing into your chin hairs and combined with an oxygen mask that the combination was really flamable if you're a pilot. So perhaps the prohibition for pilots only that wear oxygen masks :)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

SarDragon

Quote from: BradM on December 27, 2010, 11:03:54 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 27, 2010, 10:56:31 PM

I think if you're in your late 20s and over a nicely trimmed goatee with a short and proper hair cut is still a clean cut look. I was told by a retired Air Force major that the hairless chin was because of skin oils mixing into your chin hairs and combined with an oxygen mask that the combination was really flamable if you're a pilot. So perhaps the prohibition for pilots only that wear oxygen masks :)

I've heard the same story, and it's just not true. However, facial hair WILL affect the ability of the mask to properly seal. That was one of the reasons for the Navy doing away with them.

As for corporate uniforms, which looks "worse" - someone with a neat beard, or someone who is overweight?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BradM

In my opinion, it depends on the individual regarding goatees and or beards vs overweight. Some people who are at a good weight actually look better with a beard or goatee than with no facial hair. Some look better with just the mustache, some with a goatee. For me I think I look the best with a goatee, then just the mustache. Ive had an almost full beard and I prefer the goatee better. I vote at a good weight with a nicely trimmed beard looks better than clean shaven and overweight.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: BradM on December 27, 2010, 11:32:39 PM
In my opinion, it depends on the individual regarding goatees and or beards vs overweight. Some people who are at a good weight actually look better with a beard or goatee than with no facial hair. Some look better with just the mustache, some with a goatee. For me I think I look the best with a goatee, then just the mustache. Ive had an almost full beard and I prefer the goatee better. I vote at a good weight with a nicely trimmed beard looks better than clean shaven and overweight.

Which is easier to control? While in a uniform, you should try to look as uniform as possible should you not? Sometimes weight is not an option.Wearing a beard/goatee is an option to look un-uniform from everyone else.

The original reasons for not allowing beards and goatees is the same reasoning with short hair on the head. Long hair keeps pro-masks from sealing around your head, same with facial hair, however having a short mustache doesn't affect the seal of a pro-mask. Also short hair lends less for ticks and lice to get a hold of.

SarDragon

Thank you.

I'm 5'10", 180 lb, 36" waist, with a full beard.

I have a beard because shaving irritates more than I'm willing to put up with on a day-to-day basis. I have a really tough beard, and every barber who has given me a shave has told me not to bother to come back for a second shave.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on December 27, 2010, 10:40:09 PM

So are "wet" ships.

BradM

Quote from: SarDragon on December 27, 2010, 11:50:06 PM
Thank you.

I'm 5'10", 180 lb, 36" waist, with a full beard.

I have a beard because shaving irritates more than I'm willing to put up with on a day-to-day basis. I have a really tough beard, and every barber who has given me a shave has told me not to bother to come back for a second shave.

If I shave everyday on my neck I get a red razor burn rash. So at the most I shave every other day. That seems to work for me. Lately I've been shaving Monday, Thursday and Saturday.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

BradM

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 27, 2010, 11:44:17 PM
Quote from: BradM on December 27, 2010, 11:32:39 PM

Which is easier to control? While in a uniform, you should try to look as uniform as possible should you not? Sometimes weight is not an option.Wearing a beard/goatee is an option to look un-uniform from everyone else.

The original reasons for not allowing beards and goatees is the same reasoning with short hair on the head. Long hair keeps pro-masks from sealing around your head, same with facial hair, however having a short mustache doesn't affect the seal of a pro-mask. Also short hair lends less for ticks and lice to get a hold of.

Regarding looking uniform. I dont see a difference between having clean shaven officers serving alongside mustached officers to be any different than clean shaven officers serving with nicely trimmed mustached, goateed, and full bearded officers.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Eclipse

How does a direct question about pressing a shirt involve beards?

"That Others May Zoom"