Removing patch adhesive

Started by Walkman, August 20, 2010, 01:19:38 AM

Walkman

My new unit has a large stockpile of donated AF BDUs. Many of these have patches on which some sort of adhesive was used. They've tried to remove it without success so I thought I'd check in here and see if there's a common used patch glue that the RM uses and if there's a solvent for it. Apparently GooGone (my 1st thought) doesn't work.

Ideas? Thanks.

HGjunkie

You could see if your local cleaners could get it out.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

My USAF retired NCO didn't know how to fix our donated stockpile...

I did some experimenting, and I can send a PM... Bit dangerous.

The only safe way I know of is time- eventually it wears away :D Of course it looks horrible and unprofessional for a few years prior to that.

Hawk200

Put a paper towel over it, then use a hot iron. Works sometimes (but not necessarily all the time).

Walkman

Quote from: DakRadz on August 20, 2010, 01:43:14 AMI did some experimenting, and I can send a PM... Bit dangerous.

I love a little danger.  8) Send me the PM, please.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Heh, danger. I live for danger.

HGjunkie

PM please DazRadz. I need some adhesive removed from an old blouse myself.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jeders

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 20, 2010, 01:44:46 AM
Put a paper towel over it, then use a hot iron. Works sometimes (but not necessarily all the time).

Multiple attempts will increase the odds of success, but still, not always.

Also a wire brush after the adhesive is warmed by the iron can help to get some of it out, just be careful not to eat away at the fabric.

As long as I'm here, PM please.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

jimmydeanno

I've always found that goo-gone works pretty well.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Al Sayre

Try naptha, acetone, toulene, xylene, or possibly MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), all are strong (and very flammable) solvents available at your local hardware store.  Suggest you wear heavy rubber gloves and stay away from sources of ignition when trying this.  If it works let it dry and then wash the shirt before you wear it.  If not, the worst you can do is ruin an already unserviceable shirt... 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 20, 2010, 05:48:02 PM
Try naptha, acetone, toulene, xylene, or possibly MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), all are strong (and very flammable) solvents available at your local hardware store.  Suggest you wear heavy rubber gloves and stay away from sources of ignition when trying this.  If it works let it dry and then wash the shirt before you wear it.  If not, the worst you can do is ruin an already unserviceable shirt...

All that stuff work great on all cotton shirts, but can damage fabrics with any sort of synthetic content, especially MEK. BTDT; not cheap.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

I've read that white vinegar works, but never actually tried it.

SARTAC Medic

I think that patch adhesive isn't really adhesive at all.. i think its the backing on the patch that hey use to keep it from unravelling, it just attaches to the underlying cloth and is a PITA to remove
NY Wing SARTAC

a2capt

Yup, it's that stuff thats gotten mashed into the underlaying fabric after all the starching and pressing.

High Speed Low Drag

I'll take the danger PM, please
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"