Air Guard for a 36 year old?

Started by Smoothice, November 19, 2009, 08:26:09 PM

Flying Pig

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 10, 2010, 03:31:09 PM
If you do make it in, and get an EPTS (Existed Prior To Service) Discharge, you will get your VA benifits; provided you get past basic and Tech school.  I have about 2.5 months left befor my EPTS discharge.  I still get all my VA, GI Bill, etc.  It is an honorable discharge.

So if someone makes it though 6 weeks of AF Basic and some cheesy 3 1/2 week ejection seat parachute packer course you qual for benefits with 9 weeks on "active" duty?  Wow...so much for the 8 yrs I did. And if your injured, why do you still have 2 1/2 months left?

RogueLeader

Quote from: Spike on February 10, 2010, 03:41:51 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on February 10, 2010, 03:31:09 PM
If you do make it in, and get an EPTS (Existed Prior To Service) Discharge, you will get your VA benifits; provided you get past basic and Tech school.  I have about 2.5 months left befor my EPTS discharge.  I still get all my VA, GI Bill, etc.  It is an honorable discharge.

I hope that law changes.  Unless you illness or injury was made worse by service you should get no benefit.  That is almost like stealing from the taxpayers. 

I am wondering how many people play the system to get benefits like this.

So I should loose all benifits from serving in good faith. . . . Thank you for your support. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
See the PM.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 10, 2010, 04:12:28 PM

So if someone makes it though 6 weeks of AF Basic and some cheesy 3 1/2 week ejection seat parachute packer course you qual for benefits with 9 weeks on "active" duty?  Wow...so much for the 8 yrs I did. And if your injured, why do you still have 2 1/2 months left?

Who said I was injured?  I just have a genetic disorder, that was known, and waived, coming in.  That is a EPTS "injury" in the militaries mind.  There is no "fix" for my problem.  I have to deal with it.

I currently have 19 months on active duty. I have about 2.5 left until my new ETS date. 

As far as your 8 years, what about those that only serve a 2 year contract?  Are they deserving of benifits?  What about 4? or 6?

Just leave it for the Docs to decide, but please don't game the system.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spike

^ I thought you were saying go into the service with a disability and game the system.  You should get VA benefits (home loans etc.) but not disability.

I apologize if I came off as an ASS.  I misunderstood your post. 

Gunner C

IIRC you need 18 months service for most benefits.

MSG Mac

Go for it. At the worst you'll find you don't like at and not reenlist. And  you may stay on until retirement and make a lot of friends and a pension
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member