Failure by the AF to include CAP on the Holm Center web site

Started by RiverAux, October 25, 2009, 02:43:49 PM

LTC Don

The Air Force is a huge organization, with lots of right and left hands.  I work in state government so I am very familiar with the left and right not being in synch.  It is not hard to imagine why CAP is not featured on the website.  It is most likely simple lack of communications. Someone simply needs to step up and communicate with the Holm Center folks and get it fixed.

I was looking around for something else when I came across this at the Middle East Region website: http://mer.cap.gov/TARC%202009.aspx

All the harbingers of doom constantly whining about how the CAP-USAF relationship is sour grapes gets a little tiresome.  I've been in for 22+ years, and was around when the maroon epaulets debacle happened (and yes, that wound for me still festers), but when I see the SECAF posing for pics with our members.....my spirits are at least lifted a little bit.

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Strick

We need to stay positive .......... There is no conspiracy forthe AF to get rid of CAP.  With not being the Auxiliary on non- AF assigned misions it is greater oppurtunity to expand our missions  For not being on the website, I would give it some time.   Just rember we have our own website wich they think is great!   :) :) :)
[darn]atio memoriae

RiverAux

FYI, the Holm Center web page now has a box for CAP-USAF at the top of the main page and in the quick links section on the left-hand side of the page. 

There are a few odd things... the link to the actual CAP web page is "Go Civil Air Patrol!" rather than just "Civil Air Patrol" and for some reason there is a link to the Alabama Wing web site.  Maybe it is there for new CAP-USAF personnel who might want to get their kids in as cadets??

This is a big step in the right direction and hopefully the integration will continue into the future. 

RiverAux

Okay, thought I'd check in on how they're doing with integrating CAP to their web site.

1.  Well, they have a quick link to CAP-USAF (not to CAP) on the main page. 
2.  They do have a link to CAP in the AF links section of the main page, but it is partially broken.  It goes to a page that is no longer part of the CAP site, but with a little initiative you can navigate to the right place.  But, still, this may be indicative of the status of CAP in this system when they can't even get a link to this large program right.  It still says "Go Civil Air Patrol!" as pointed out several years ago. 
3.  For some reason there is still a link to the Alabama Wing on the CAP-USAF page. 
4.  On the Holms Center public affairs page, they leave out CAP as among the programs and don't have a CAP fact sheet.
5. The Holms Center magazine "Leader" has no CAP stories featured in the "top stories".  However, it doesn't appear that very many stories are submitted to it from anyone as there are very few recent ones.  Who knows if CAP NHQ sends them over any of our stuff or not.  So, its unclear whether this is a CAP problem or an AF problem.  It does appear that you can submit your story directly to them, so I wonder what would happen if a squadron or wing PAO sent them something?
The CAP link on that page also goes to the broken page mentioned above. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: NCRblues on October 25, 2009, 06:45:34 PM
In my humble opinion, i believe cap is slowly moving further and further away from Ma Blue. At least in My local area, and the greater St. Louis region, Air force support with anything is unheard of. YMMV

I don't think that in practical terms the Air Force really cares much about us anymore...kind of a "benign neglect."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: CyBorg on December 31, 2011, 07:05:21 PM
Quote from: NCRblues on October 25, 2009, 06:45:34 PM
In my humble opinion, i believe cap is slowly moving further and further away from Ma Blue. At least in My local area, and the greater St. Louis region, Air force support with anything is unheard of. YMMV

I don't think that in practical terms the Air Force really cares much about us anymore...kind of a "benign neglect."
Well check out the HQ AF website on the CAP fact sheet:
http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=163  Interesting to note Aerospace Education is before Cadet Programs.  Would be nice if our website was cross referenced right in the fact sheet.  Actually though a very good write up :angel:

I totally disagree that the AF doesn't care about CAP.  I believe that overall the AF has some real budget/financial & manpower (potential reduction in force) issues that are like a tidal wave forming off the coast, and to a certain extent this has gotten them a bit preoccupied :(.   

Also I've got to admit that I'm still confused with what all those 350 (22 assigned to Maxwell) personnel assigned to CAP-USAF are really doing ??? ??? ???.  I don't want to come across as negative but on the other hand I'd like to get a better understanding of what they actually do to support us out in the field.  When you add in the National HQ Staff paid employees, that's just one full time paid person for every aircraft we have :o

Website wise, yea, it would be nice if all the links worked properly :angel:
RM   

SarDragon

My guess on the 350 people is that it includes the CAP-RAP folks. Just a guess.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SarDragon on December 31, 2011, 07:31:09 PM

I haven't seen a CAP-RAP in a good year or so...and we meet on an ANG base.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Tim Medeiros

Don't forget those assigned to the liaison regions and the state directors and the folks they work with.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

SarDragon

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on January 01, 2012, 05:26:30 AM
Don't forget those assigned to the liaison regions and the state directors and the folks they work with.

Yeah, them, too. Knew there were more than just CAP-RAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: SarDragon on December 31, 2011, 07:31:09 PM

We have non paid (retirement points only) RAP NCO assigned to our State Director.  He's been helpful at some activities in the past.    I see that HQ CAP-USAF still appears to be recruiting for these positions on their website (at least with contact information).  I was under the impression (from a comment made by the RAP NCO) that even these points only positions were being cut back by the USAF Reserve.   
RM