Main Menu

INWG has the biggest....

Started by davidsinn, August 17, 2009, 06:41:36 PM

RiverAux

Big proposal in the NB agenda to reduce the time in grade for school programs under the theory that they put more time in quicker than traditional squadrons. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on August 18, 2009, 10:12:27 PM
Big proposal in the NB agenda to reduce the time in grade for school programs under the theory that they put more time in quicker than traditional squadrons.

Which frankly makes an argument I agree with that these are not the same program, any more than any other sub-program which fundamentally changes the participation and recruiting paradigm.  Leaders at the corporate level are already indicating publicly they believe the SEP is "special".

You can't put this much concentration of membership in one place (in this case in excess of 50% in one building) and not expect concern over resource allocation, Wing attention, and fundamental execution.

The lack of encampment participation would concern me, because its a short-hand indication that this is an island program, however it needs to be considered that INWG has not had an encampment in-state for at least two years.

As to the agenda item, until someone does a with a comparison between the average time spent doing CAP activities and self-study for conventional cadets, vs. an SEP cadet, and makes sure to add weighting regarding outside activities, I'm not buying that SEP cadets are any "different" or "better" than any others.  Those of us with experience in Wing-, or Region-level cadet activities know the dangers of "island programs".

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I suppose that would depend on which "traditional squadron" you were talking about.  From last Friday to this coming saturday I'll have cadets who will have accumulated 100 hours doing CAP stuff.  That is just routine activities, not large activities like encampment, etc. 

65 Hours participation in SAREX
6 hours participation in Satellite Tracking Station Tour
3 hours participation in CAC meeting
6 hours participation in fundraising event
14 hours participation in Glider orientation flights
2.5 hours squadron meeting

While we don't normally have that amount of time each week, our squadron offers the opportunity for at least 20 hours (on average) each week of CAP time should a cadet decide to participate.

I suppose I mean that there is plenty of opportunity for all of our cadets to put in as much time into CAP as they want to; between local, group, wing activities. 

If a school squadron has two classes a week for 2 hours, it doesn't necessarily mean that they put in more time than the community based cadet.  If anything, I'd argue that they don't put in as much time.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 18, 2009, 10:31:10 PMIf a school squadron has two classes a week for 2 hours, it doesn't necessarily mean that they put in more time than the community based cadet.  If anything, I'd argue that they don't put in as much time.

+1

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 18, 2009, 09:04:05 PM

Is there a desire to try and convert the CAP cadet program into a school based program versus a community based one?

Absolutely not.  I have never heard of such a thing from either General Courter, Gen Chitwood, or Curt LaFond.  As in never, ever.

And it is certainly not my policy.

As I mentioned, there is only one cadet program.  Some cadets are in school programs, most are not.

There is indeed a proposal before the NB to reduce TiG for at least some school based programs.  You may notice that there were substantial "non-concurrances" from the staff.

If our national leadership approves this item (which I doubt, but it is certainly their choice to make), then for the first time there will be a substantive difference for the school-based cadets.

But there isn't now, and if the measure is not adopted there will be no change.

Eclipse

Sorry Ned, there's a big difference.

Who processes all the administrivia?  Volunteers after school, or school administration during school?  The minute people are able to get paid to do CAP work, the paradigm changes.

Would staff attending off-hours activities get paid leave from the district?

Or worse, are they going to start dumping hundreds of cadets into the system and expect the conventional units and staffers to absorb those numbers with no contribution?

If nothing else, the largest cadet unit in the state should also have the most seniors.  Otherwise they are going to either be an island, or an unfair resource drain.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I'm not sure it would be the worst thing in the world to have the school program run a little differently.  It is clear that school-based programs account for a greater and greater share of the overall cadet program and it might not make sense to run them exactly the same.  However, I don't think I agree with the current proposal, but I'm open to the concept of making some accommodations for school programs. 

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Stonewall on August 18, 2009, 07:03:35 PM
Quote from: rebowman on August 18, 2009, 04:18:32 PM
In my own opinion, school programs should have their own separate statistics.  What I mean is, it is not fair for programs such as this to be considered the biggest.   These school programs should only be compared to other school programs.

Concur.

In DC Wing when the Middle School Initiative first appeared, we heard all this bragging about size and numbers.  Yet the school "squadron" had little resemblence to that of a real squadron.  Never once saw them at weekend activities and never saw them participate in ES activities.  Who cares if they have 100, 200, 300 cadets; if they simply show up to school in CAP uniforms and conduct themselves similar to a JROTC program, then they're JROTC with a CAP theme.

More reason to make ES participation a part of the cadet program.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2009, 11:19:17 PM
Sorry Ned, there's a big difference.

Who processes all the administrivia?  Volunteers after school, or school administration during school?  The minute people are able to get paid to do CAP work, the paradigm changes.

Probably a combination of both.  But I fail to see your point.  Whether the administrivia is accomplished by volunteers or school folks on the clock, the training and experience for the cadets should be largely the same.  I've heard a rumor that sometimes CAP folks who are also Guard/Reserve types have, on occasion, been on Annual Training status at encampment.  (I.e., got paid.)  I don't recall the world ending.

Or worse, are they going to start dumping hundreds of cadets into the system and expect the conventional units and staffers to absorb those numbers with no contribution?

Again. I'm not seeing the problem.  In an ideal world, school units would indeed send many cadets to things like encampments, NCO schools, etc.  What is the problem with that?  How is any different than any other CAP unit sending cadets to wing activities?

School program cadets pay the same fee for encampment as anyone else.  What's the problem?

If nothing else, the largest cadet unit in the state should also have the most seniors.  Otherwise they are going to either be an island, or an unfair resource drain.

I can only agree that any unit needs enough seniors and other volunteers to effectively supervise and administer the unit.  But even if they are relatively sparse, I'm not sure how that would negatively affect other units.

Ned Lee

Major Carrales

All depends on what you are willing to do.  We have a Flight of the Corpus Christi Comp Squadron affiliated with Memorial Middle School in Kingsville, Texas where I teach.

Those cadets cadet the same training as "reg'lars."  If you go FULL SCHOOL PROGRAM, it will be the same only differing in they they will received grades as in an elective class and a curriculum will be run.  Much like band and athletics, which practice after school, attend competitions and other development...the CAP unit would have ES activities, Leadership Schools and all the like.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

davidsinn

Yes it's a necropost but I have numbers now.  ;D

Anderson Preparatory currently has 334 cadets and  32 seniors. They have a delta of plus 163 total members since last December first. :clap:

They have more CADETS than any of the other three groups have members. Heck I think they have more cadets then some wings have members.

Also the legislative squadron has 178 members which is nearly the size of my group.

INWG has 715 cadets and 435 seniors.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spike

^ Legislative Squadrons are no more a "squadron" than SEP units. 

You have put a large bulk of your membership into units that should not be counted amongst "regular" units.

Seriously, is this impressive?  I would have a HUGE Squadron too if I were to bribe my legislators with food once a month at a meeting in the capitol, or offer a class that looks good on High School Transcripts (that carry a grade of course). 

John Bryan

I think the school program is great. That said a school wide program like this where all the students are cadets can really build up an organizations numbers.

This unit has 334 cadets....INWG has 715 total cadets ...ie 47 % of INWG's cadets are from this one unit. When you add the seniors this unit makes up 370 of INWG's total 1354 members...ie the unit makes up 27% of the total membership of the wing.  In other words without this one unit INWG's total numbers would be 984 total members which would be a membership loss...but this unit gives them an 18% growth. Sadly 12 other (regular) units in the wing are not growing.

Dracosbane

I had an opportunity to attend a cadet training function at the APA in October.  I learned a few things about it.  The cadets are full CAP members, just as my unit's cadets are.  However, most of the cadets are young, i.e. sixth, seventh and eighth grade, but 9-12 attend the school as well.  This is the second "year" of the academy, and as such, there are few, if any cadet officers.  They are welcome to attend the meetings of the Anderson unit, which is separate, in order to see a "real" unit working.  Although I have no idea if any of them do.  Not all of the teachers at the school are officers, and a few are not CAP senior members at all, IIRC. 

There are also a few other factors about the students who attend the school, however I was involved in only a little of the conversation that I don't want to add speculation or hearsay as to the true workings of the school. 

I'll be attending another function there in January, hopefully I'll learn a little more about it then.  But yes, they have the largest cadet attendance of any CAP unit.

I believe all the information is correct, but I could be wrong.  YMMV.

Eclipse

Quote from: John Bryan on December 01, 2009, 11:04:07 PM
I think the school program is great. That said a school wide program like this where all the students are cadets can really build up an organizations numbers.

This unit has 334 cadets....INWG has 715 total cadets ...ie 47 % of INWG's cadets are from this one unit. When you add the seniors this unit makes up 370 of INWG's total 1354 members...ie the unit makes up 27% of the total membership of the wing.  In other words without this one unit INWG's total numbers would be 984 total members which would be a membership loss...but this unit gives them an 18% growth. Sadly 12 other (regular) units in the wing are not growing.

How many of those cadets attended an encampment either in their first year, or at all?

How many participate in any way outside their school?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I think IN wing has been doing an excellent job in expanding the program and so long as all standards are maintained, should keep going in this vein. 

Dracosbane

There were several cadets (10-12) in attendance from two or three grades who attended the clinic I was at in Oct.  The one SM that chaperoned their group seems to want the cadets to participate in as many outside-the-unit activities as possible (even if this was one hosted at their school, it was not put on by them).

Spike

Quote from: Eclipse on December 01, 2009, 11:18:14 PM
Quote from: John Bryan on December 01, 2009, 11:04:07 PM

How many of those cadets attended an encampment either in their first year, or at all?

How many participate in any way outside their school?

How many are getting O-Flights?

What is the milestone percentage compared to the "local unit"?

Do the Students pay membership fees?  Buy uniforms and bling? 

And the questions can go on forever.  My point is the Squadron is not a Squadron, it is a school.  It needs to be counted in (and only in) the SEP.  To say it is the largest unit is misleading and deceptive. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: davidsinn on December 01, 2009, 08:01:40 PM
Anderson Preparatory currently has 334 cadets and  32 seniors. They have a delta of plus 163 total members since last December first. :clap:

Hm...that Aug 09 newsletter showed:

Senior Members: 617
Cadets: 684

Why the major drop in SM status?

And along with the other members...out of 300+ cadets to have only 2 that went to an encampment...

davidsinn

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 02, 2009, 03:28:22 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 01, 2009, 08:01:40 PM

Hm...that Aug 09 newsletter showed:

Senior Members: 617
Cadets: 684

Why the major drop in SM status?

And along with the other members...out of 300+ cadets to have only 2 that went to an encampment...

There was actually an increase in the senior numbers but the newsletter didn't differentiate between the legislative and regular seniors. Add 178 pols plus 26 patrons and 000 people and you get another 204 "others" on top of the 435. I'd love to post the entire breakdown as it's pretty in depth but I was told it's operational data and not for public consumption. INWG is up in all categories except other which went down by two which could be explained by somebody going active from 000.

As to the lack of encampments at Anderson you need to remember it's a new program and INWG has not had an encampment in state in over 3 years. That will change with 2010. My own unit has only been able to get one cadet to encampment in three years and she went to two different ones.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn