Main Menu

INWG has the biggest....

Started by davidsinn, August 17, 2009, 06:41:36 PM

davidsinn

...Squadron in CAP: Anderson Preparatory Academy in Indy.
pdf Last paragraph of the first page.  :clap:
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

[Type the company address]

That's a catchy tag line!

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

Eclipse.....cut them some slack.  They just forgot how to spell CAP
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davidsinn

Ya know I never even noticed that. ::) I think I'll email TFO Caplan about that.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spike

How many??

Great that it says it is the largest......but We want Numbers here!

Is it a SEP??  Is it an After School Program, what is it.

jimmydeanno

GLR-IN-803:

329 Cadet Members
0 Cadets with Wright Brothers
51 Cadets with O'Flights
2 Cadets with Encampment
2 Seniors with TLC

Last year Cadet Members: 120
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

Quote from: Spike on August 17, 2009, 07:18:36 PM
How many??

Great that it says it is the largest......but We want Numbers here!

Is it a SEP??  Is it an After School Program, what is it.

Jimmydeano grabbed the numbers. It is a military school that uses the CAP curriculum instead of JROTC. I'm not familiar with SEP so it may be that.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Airrace

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 17, 2009, 07:31:22 PM
GLR-IN-803:

329 Cadet Members
0 Cadets with Wright Brothers
51 Cadets with O'Flights
2 Cadets with Encampment
2 Seniors with TLC

Last year Cadet Members: 120

Don't they need more senior members to supervise the cadets?

jimmydeanno

That number is just the Seniors who have completed TLC.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

How much do they do with CAP outside of their school?

Spike

Unfortunately some may argue that military schools with a CAP curriculum are in fact, not a Squadron.  They may use the same terminology, but when every Cadet there is forced to be in CAP, just for attending, that is not a Squadron.

rebowman

In my own opinion, school programs should have their own separate statistics.  What I mean is, it is not fair for programs such as this to be considered the biggest.   These school programs should only be compared to other school programs.

Stonewall

Quote from: rebowman on August 18, 2009, 04:18:32 PM
In my own opinion, school programs should have their own separate statistics.  What I mean is, it is not fair for programs such as this to be considered the biggest.   These school programs should only be compared to other school programs.

Concur.

In DC Wing when the Middle School Initiative first appeared, we heard all this bragging about size and numbers.  Yet the school "squadron" had little resemblence to that of a real squadron.  Never once saw them at weekend activities and never saw them participate in ES activities.  Who cares if they have 100, 200, 300 cadets; if they simply show up to school in CAP uniforms and conduct themselves similar to a JROTC program, then they're JROTC with a CAP theme.
Serving since 1987.

Spike

Stonewall....I agree. 

Lets keep SEP/ School Programs statistically separate from regular Squadrons.  I may not have the number of Cadet in my Squadron even close to a School Squadron but I have many more activities and my Cadet actually serve the community.  I also have to recruit, where as the school just offers it as a "credit" class.  Not fair in my opinion.

Having said that, I have a problem with school programs altogether.  When (and if) they show up to Wing or Joint activities, they have an "air about them" that makes them stand apart from other Cadets.  I have a Squadron that is down the street from a School Based Program (1 class a week, and after school every Wednesday) and it really hurt my numbers at the beginning.  We are in the process of getting the Wing Commander to order the School Cadets to attend our meetings instead of after school. 

There is more to CAP than sitting in a classroom each week, taking tests and getting promoted.  I know of no SEP/ School program that does ES or is called out on missions. 

They should have separate charters and not be counted among the rest of us "regulars".

Flying Pig

So really, its JROTC that uses the CAP structure?

Spike

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 18, 2009, 08:07:48 PM
So really, its JROTC that uses the CAP structure?

I find that schools are more welcoming to CAP (as an Aerospace oriented program) as opposed to a military driven program by one of the Uniformed Services. 

So, yes.....JROTC disguised as a "Aerospace, character developing, CAP Program".

Ned

There is only one Cadet Program.

Some of our units are school-based, most are organized in traditional squadrons.

But the program is the same.  Same standards for promotion, same time-in-grade requirements, same textbooks, same encampments, same everything.

It would be particularly unhelpful for us to begin distinguishing between school-based and traditional squadrons because it quickly degrades into a debate about "real squadrons" vs. "school units"; or simply "us" versus "them."

For no real reason than to make someone feel better on the pecking order.

It can't really be very surprising that a school unit might be one of our "largest units."  That is kinda inherent in having a school program.

But whether a given unit is large or small is largely irrelevant.  What should count is the quality of the training available to the troops, and ultimately the quality of the troops themselves.

I imagine JROTC has the same sort of issues.  Undoubtedly some JROTC units are going to be larger than others, based largely on the size of the high school in which it is based.  But each has a job to do, and the standards are ultimately the same nationwide.

jimmydeanno

Ned,

Not trying to start a fight, but I have a real interest here...

Is there a desire to try and convert the CAP cadet program into a school based program versus a community based one?

It does make one wonder why a cadet would choose to participate in the community based version in their local area if there is a school one that they can get school credit for.

There are quite a few obvious benefits for NHQ if they were to do this (paid school staff, permanent facilities, etc). 

cnitas

Is anyone else concerned that with so many cadets, none have a Wright Brothers award and only 2 have encampment?

Big...yes.
Administering the cadet program properly?  Maybe not.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Flying Pig

So in a school based program, do the teachers become Senior Members?