Main Menu

CAP Discounts?

Started by Hoorah, May 10, 2009, 09:56:20 PM

Hoorah

Um I was wondering what companies, stores, etc gives discounts for CAP.
The only one I know about  is CAP Wireless.

Short Field

Go to Knowledgebase and search for "CAP discount" and you will get all the answers.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish and you feed him for life.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Hoorah

DBlair

From what I've heard, people often extend military discounts to CAP members as well, so it might be useful to inquire whenever someplace advertises such a military discount being offered.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Pylon

Either Lowes or Home Depot (I forget which) extends a 10% discount specifically to Civil Air Patrol members, as well as military.  As for other merchants, I'd say it's a little stretch of the core value of "integrity" to seek out military discounts on the basis of belonging to Civil Air Patrol.

AT&T Wireless and Verizon Wireless will give you a 15% - 20% discount on your personal cell phone bill if you belong to or work for certain corporations; my CAP membership card has gotten me a discount with both cell carriers. Though you may also want to check if your employer also qualifies you for a better discount.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DBlair

From what I've heard, those members seeking out military discounts just state that they are USAF Aux, and so it isn't technically that they are claiming to be military, but it is a bit of a grey area.

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on May 10, 2009, 10:37:36 PM
Either Lowes or Home Depot (I forget which) extends a 10% discount specifically to Civil Air Patrol members, as well as military.  As for other merchants, I'd say it's a little stretch of the core value of "integrity" to seek out military discounts on the basis of belonging to Civil Air Patrol.

If I'm doing something for myself or my work, I agree 100%, but if I'm on "CAP time" or the product or service is for CAP, I always ask.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: DBlair on May 10, 2009, 11:26:46 PM
From what I've heard, those members seeking out military discounts just state that they are USAF Aux, and so it isn't technically that they are claiming to be military, but it is a bit of a grey area.

Mumbling something about "USAF Aux" to get a military discount is dishonest.   One would be trying to secure a discount intended for military members (which CAP members, by simple virtue of being in CAP, are not) based on the hope that the cashier doesn't understand what CAP is and is not. 

C/MSgt Lunsford

Ok. I am getting confused. ??? Is it wrong to use your ID card to get Military Discounts? I mean, I don't see anything dishonest about it (Correct me if I'm wrong) but I do see the wrong in trying to brag about it when you use it.

"Oh yeah, I'm in CAP. Its in the Air Force" (Now that is wrong and is against core values) But I really don't see anything wrong with using your CAP Military ID Card for discounts that can save you some money during our rough economic times.

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Quote from: Lunsford on May 10, 2009, 11:48:10 PMBut I really don't see anything wrong with using your CAP Military ID Card for discounts that can save you some money during our rough economic times.

Well, for one, its not a "military" ID card.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Eclipse on May 10, 2009, 11:50:57 PM
Quote from: Lunsford on May 10, 2009, 11:48:10 PMBut I really don't see anything wrong with using your CAP Military ID Card for discounts that can save you some money during our rough economic times.

Well, for one, its not a "military" ID card.

Ok. My Bad. But I am just wondering if is ok to use it as a Military Discount? I really don't care but I am curious.  :)

Wright Brothers #13915

DBlair

The way it was explained to me by a couple of members was that they feel that since we are volunteers, and since we "serve" our country in our own way, that there is no harm in asking. Apparently, they ask for discounts on anything from SAR stuff to auto service and use the fact that the "Active Member" part on the photo ID supposedly is confused with "Active Duty" by some merchants.

Personally, this is too much of a stretch for me. I'll wait for later this year after I commission before I try to take advantage of a military discount.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: DBlair on May 11, 2009, 12:02:31 AM
Personally, this is too much of a stretch for me. I'll wait for later this year after I commission before I try to take advantage of a military discount.

Yeah, I sorta agree with you.

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Sadly, there will always be some joker who tries to game the system and buy 10 plasma TVs from the base exchange for eBay sale while on base at an encampment.

These people spoil it for the rest of us, most of whom would only use their discount(s) for legitimate CAP-related activities and expenses.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on May 11, 2009, 12:37:01 AM
Sadly, there will always be some joker who tries to game the system and buy 10 plasma TVs from the base exchange for eBay sale while on base at an encampment.

These people spoil it for the rest of us, most of whom would only use their discount(s) for legitimate CAP-related activities and expenses.

CAP-related activities shouldn't get a "military" discount any more than personal CAP member purchases.  CAP is not military.  We are not entitled to military discounts by virtue of being CAP members.  If you take one by mumbling something about "USAF Aux" you're misleading the cashier into thinking you're military; 900 times out of 900, the cashier does not know what CAP is and is not.  And by accepting a discount to which you're not entitled, you're in a fairly morally gray area.  Not exactly setting a great example for our cadets and furthering the unfortunate "wanna-be-military" vibe that CAP already gives off by the bucket load.

Getting a non-profit organization discount, or being legally exempt from sales tax by virtue of being a 501(c)(3) organization are legitimate discounts that CAP should take advantage of when possible.

LtCol057

A few years ago when I was making reservations for a flight to NBB, the reservations clerk asked me if I was a member of CAP. When I said yes, she told me that I was able to get the military rate which was a little cheaper.  When I told her that I was NOT military (at that time), she told me that members of CAP could get the military rate because we were the aux of the USAF.  She seemed to be very familiar with CAP.  That was several years ago, willing to bet we're not eligible now. 

I've learned tho that sometimes when you ask for a discounted rate, like the gov rate, you're really going to pay more.  When I checked into a motel, I asked for the gov rate (I work for the feds).  Found out the next day, that I could have saved $8 by NOT asking for the gov rate. 

Cecil DP

Quote from: LtCol057 on May 11, 2009, 02:27:40 AM
A few years ago when I was making reservations for a flight to NBB, the reservations clerk asked me if I was a member of CAP. When I said yes, she told me that I was able to get the military rate which was a little cheaper.  When I told her that I was NOT military (at that time), she told me that members of CAP could get the military rate because we were the aux of the USAF.  She seemed to be very familiar with CAP.  That was several years ago, willing to bet we're not eligible now. 

I've learned tho that sometimes when you ask for a discounted rate, like the gov rate, you're really going to pay more.  When I checked into a motel, I asked for the gov rate (I work for the feds).  Found out the next day, that I could have saved $8 by NOT asking for the gov rate.

The Government rate means it's official travel and the costs are reimbursible.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Major Lord

I bought a generator from Kragens Auto  for an activity (while in CAP uniform) and they gave me the military discount. I tried to explain what CAP was, and their eyes just sort of glazed over.....Its sort of like when members of the pubic come up and thank you for your" service" ) Just accept it in good grace, because the people who really need to hear it don't hear it enough, and won't mind if its channeled via CAP.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Major Lord on May 11, 2009, 03:59:04 AM
I bought a generator from Kragens Auto  for an activity (while in CAP uniform) and they gave me the military discount. I tried to explain what CAP was, and their eyes just sort of glazed over.....Its sort of like when members of the pubic come up and thank you for your" service" ) Just accept it in good grace, because the people who really need to hear it don't hear it enough, and won't mind if its channeled via CAP.

Major Lord

I like how you put it that way.

Wright Brothers #13915

Spike

I'll wait for later this year after I commission before I try to take advantage of a military discount.

Well you already have a military ID Card....right?  Whats the big deal, you can use that. 

DBlair

Quote from: Spike on May 11, 2009, 04:52:50 AM
I'll wait for later this year after I commission before I try to take advantage of a military discount.

Well you already have a military ID Card....right?  Whats the big deal, you can use that.

I wasn't referring to myself trying to use a CAP ID card to get a discount. Instead, I was using examples of members in my unit (etc) and stating that it is a bit too far into the gray territory for my liking to try to seek out such military discounts and that if I personally wanted to take advantage of such benefits, that I'd wait until I actually earned that privilege.

In a roundabout way, I was trying to convey that if someone wanted a military discount, that they should actually join the military instead of pretending.

gistek

Some places DO extend their military perks to auxiliaries and others don't. When I ask, I always describe CAP as the Civilian auxiliary of the USAF.

If I'm asked what we do I answer, "We have a cadet program for teens, provide aerospace education services, and our emergency services teams provide disaster relief and search and rescue services."

Spike

Quote from: DBlair on May 11, 2009, 05:54:52 AM
In a roundabout way, I was trying to convey that if someone wanted a military discount, that they should actually join the military instead of pretending.

So are you saying all CAP Members are pretending to be "military"??

So typical for someone to jump to the idiots answer..... "you should just join the military".

Ned

FWIW, members of the military aren't "entitled" to a military discount from businesses, either.

Military discounts are a patriotic courtesy offered by business owners in order to honor the member's service and generate a little business. (And not necessarily in that order.  ;))

Business owners can give or not give the discount as they see fit.  They can change the amount or eligibility requirements as they choose.

Just like senior citizen discounts, the details will vary.  Some businesses offer it at age 55, some at age 60, and some not until age 65.  Some businesses gladly include CAP in their military discounts, some do not.  No business will be offended if you ask.  The worst that can happen is that they will decline to extend the discount.  No big deal. 

I remember the civilian laundry just outside the gate at Ft. McClellan.  Huge sign outside stating "military discount" and other signs offering insignia sewing and tailoring.  I don't think I ever saw anyone pay more than the "discount" rate, regardless of how they were dressed.  As a practical matter, the "military discount rate" was the regular price for that particular business.

So let's just leave the offering or not offering of discounts up to the business itself.  It is never wrong to politely ask if a particular discount applies to you.

DBlair

Quote from: Spike on May 11, 2009, 04:52:39 PM
Quote from: DBlair on May 11, 2009, 05:54:52 AM

So are you saying all CAP Members are pretending to be "military"??

So typical for someone to jump to the idiots answer..... "you should just join the military".

Whoa whoa whoa... so I'm suddenly an idiot because I feel that some CAP members try to pass themselves off as military in order to get a discount or receive other attention/recognition?

I'm not saying that all CAP members pretend to be military, but rather I was referring to those I described earlier in this thread who try to get military discounts as a result of a cashier thinking that 'USAF Aux' = military and that 'Active Member' on an ID card = Active Duty. Or, even in some cases, people outright claiming to be "...part of the Air Force" in order to gain whatever recognition/attention they are trying to achieve.

CAP is a mix of a vast array of different types/personalities of people, and yes, there are some who try to play the military idea for all its worth.

Do I think that CAP deserves recognition for all that we as an organization do? Sure.

Do I think that there is a difference between CAP service and actual military service? Absolutely.

Do I think it is right for some CAP members to mislead the public into thinking that they are indeed military? No.

I think this often serves to create/promote negative images/stereotypes of our membership and also to a certain extent, the AF- considering the behavior and appearance of some of these wannabe military members. I find that those who try to pull the 'military' concept for discounts and so forth are often the same people who were never in the military, watched too many movies, and now think that their CAP grade = RM grade and that they can walk around acting like RM Officers- or, at least how they *think* Officers act. This is what organizationally creates problems- and I'm sure each of us can cite a variety of examples.

If someone wants to be RM and enjoy all the benefits and courtesies (...and potential hardships too) that relate to serving their country in such a manner, then great, join the military.

If someone wants to serve their country as a member of CAP, then great, welcome aboard!

My point was that there are *some* CAP members who try to (dare I say it) pretend to be military, but no, I'm not claiming that ALL members of CAP pretend to be military. We've got some great members, but we also have a certain segment of our membership who seem to think that the oakleaf on their shoulder is equal to that of the real military, and this is where I believe there is a problem.

If a business wants to give CAP members a discount, great, but I don't think we should be misleading them by claiming to be part of the Air Force, etc.

Hoorah

Um can you use an Cap ID to buy stuff for Cap uses only.
Such as buying Military Surplus for your Cap needs etc. Or is it  in the grey area. Because I was wondering so I can get discounts on Cap needs.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 11, 2009, 08:30:57 PM
Such as buying Military Surplus for your Cap needs etc. Or is it  in the grey area. Because I was wondering so I can get discounts on Cap needs.

If you want my humble opinion, being a Prior Service member......

Don't go hunting down Military Discounts.  Especially of you are CAP.  They will find you.

Also IMHO, CAP is not military.  We are a volunteer organization, attached to a military organization.

USADOD

I apply my military/USA when and wherever possible, times are tough. But when it comes to CAP, I believe it is ok to purchase CAP related items such as BDU's, SAR gear and even computers for educational purposes. But to simply go out and try to apply a discount to a new entertainment system from walmart, is a no go. Besides I do not believe the CAP Membership Card with all text and no photos would get you far, the CAP Photo ID card is just a "little" more believable even with that terrible Visa Hologram ;D
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

flyerthom

Quote from: Short Field on May 10, 2009, 10:09:49 PM
Go to Knowledgebase and search for "CAP discount" and you will get all the answers.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish and you feed him for life.

I thought it was ... teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat, drink beer, and tell lies all day.  >:D
TC

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 11, 2009, 08:30:57 PM

Ask this guy:

Unless you're committing deliberate fraud, he's the only one who is going to care how you use your ID card for discounts.
A long as you, he, and the core values can sleep at night, I would forget about it and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: gistek on May 11, 2009, 03:52:18 PM
Some places DO extend their military perks to auxiliaries and others don't. When I ask, I always describe CAP as the Civilian auxiliary of the USAF.

If I'm asked what we do I answer, "We have a cadet program for teens, provide aerospace education services, and our emergency services teams provide disaster relief and search and rescue services."

I like how you put that.

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Quote from: Lunsford on May 12, 2009, 09:09:34 PM
Quote from: gistek on May 11, 2009, 03:52:18 PM

I like how you put that.

In the spirit of fairness, extending a military perk to CAP or anyone else, for that matter, is not the same thing. 

The $$$ numbers might match, but for most people "military" means the "big-4" services, then add-in the Coast Guard when they remember them.  Even the other two uniformed services aren't "military", per se, and there's probably an equal number of storekeepers in this country that have heard of the USPHSCC or NOAACC as know about CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phillip

With one exception* I've never asked for a discount on something due to my CAP service.  I have received the "military rate" at on hotel that I used prior to a SAREX (or somesuch).  I was in uniform when I checked out and didn't know I was given the discount until I reviewed my receipt on the way out the door.  A similar thing happened at wing conference.  I got the conference discount even though I didn't make the reservation by the deadline.

*= the exception is Oakley, which through their US Standard Issue site offers thier products at significant discounts to Military, Law Enforcement, etc.  Send 'em a copy of your ID card, and you're good to go.  There is a thread about it in the Uniform section here.
Captain

Lt Oliv

When I was buying some things from a local electronics store, they had a sign in the window advertising a 15% Military Discount.  While on AD I would have jumped all over it, but in exchange for my Honorable Discharge I am willing to pass them up.

My wife, however, asked the Clerk if such a discount would be extended to an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Navy and he kindly offered it.

CAP is not military.  Veterans are FORMER members of the military.  Military Discounts are not entitlements, just a way for some businesses to try to show their appreciation to those who serve. 

If there is a military discount and you ask if it is extended to CAP, you are not being dishonest.  The worst thing they will say is "no." And since these discounts are intended to be courtesies, I have noticed they will usually just offer them if you ask.  The clerk doesn't want to risk offending you by saying you are not "military enough." 

You don't need to go on a rant about how what you do is important.  You don't need to explain the history of CAP and its relationship with the USAF.  If they offer a discount that you want, ask if you can get it too.  If they say "yes" enjoy the discount, if not, make your purchase and carry on smartly.

RADIOMAN015

Unless you are buying some durable merchandise that you are going to use in your SPECIFIC volunteer official duties or will benefit your Civil Air Patrol unit directly, anything else angers me personally.  (and you approach the merchant not as representing being military but as a civilian auxiliary that supports the AF, along with our 3 major programs). 

Trying to get these military "discounts" as a CIVIL Air Patrol member, IMHO lessens its' value to actual military members (and their families) who really deserve the communities' support.  Military members/famility endure a lot of hardship in today's deployment environment, it's dishonest to think anyone in CAP is deserving of the same.   :-[

We don't need a bunch of military 'wanna bees" trying to camp on to these benefits. >:(  Last time I looked we are the CIVIL Air Patrol.  Don't forget that (that's why if I had my way there would be no senior members in ANY military style uniform, only CAP Blue BDUS, white aviator shirts, etc -- only the cadets would wear USAF uniforms) >:(
RM

Lt Oliv

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 17, 2009, 05:23:03 PM

Unless you are buying some durable merchandise that you are going to use in your SPECIFIC volunteer official duties or will benefit your Civil Air Patrol unit directly, anything else angers me personally.  (and you approach the merchant not as representing being military but as a civilian auxiliary that supports the AF, along with our 3 major programs). 

Trying to get these military "discounts" as a CIVIL Air Patrol member, IMHO lessens its' value to actual military members (and their families) who really deserve the communities' support.  Military members/famility endure a lot of hardship in today's deployment environment, it's dishonest to think anyone in CAP is deserving of the same.   :-[

We don't need a bunch of military 'wanna bees" trying to camp on to these benefits. >:(  Last time I looked we are the CIVIL Air Patrol.  Don't forget that (that's why if I had my way there would be no senior members in ANY military style uniform, only CAP Blue BDUS, white aviator shirts, etc -- only the cadets would wear USAF uniforms) >:(
RM

So are you saying that when veterans ask for the military discount they are "lessening" its value to the active duty members? What about members of the Public Health Service? They are in the uniformed service, but not the Armed Forces.  Should they feel guilty if given a "military" discount?

When you ask for it as a member of CAP, you are not asserting that you are military.  You are not saying that people who serve are less deserving.  You are doing exactly what many people do when they go to the grocery store, essentially you are asking "Do you have any coupons?"

And now I'm going to stop.  This thread was not started to determine the morality of asking for military discounts while a member of CAP, the question posed was "Are there any CAP Discounts offered?" and we have noted at least one.

Any others that folks are aware of?

Slim

I view military discounts the same way I view discounts related to my job (EMS).

If I go into a restaurant on duty, and the waitress gives me a free or discounted meal, I smile, say thank you, and leave a fairly generous tip (usually the difference between the actual price and the discount).

If a store gives me a military discount based on my CAP service, I smile, say thank you, and pay whatever they tell me to pay.

I won't turn them down, but I won't solicit or seek them out either.

Slim

wingnut55

I had a guy actually demand. I mean "DEMAND" a military discount at a diner while we were away on a mission. He actually followed the Waitress into the kitchen arguing with the lady. Later he said he was going to wear his flight suit home on the Airline so he could get a Military Discount. I honestly believe  he did.

Since than this guy has on several occasions demanded discounts and in one instance demanded the use of an office Computer in an FBO telling them ' We are homeland security on a mission. I need to use your computer (To check email, weather )

And nothing was ever done about it.

I am not willing to embarrass myself, or the CAP.

Lt Oliv

Sadly I have seen some do the very same thing.  I have a friend who is former Army who regularly demands a "veteran" discount for every good and service he wishes (or may at some later time wish) to buy.

When the Red Cross had cookies for firefighters during a building blaze, he went up and demanded a cookie because he had a Bronze Star.

Asking if there might be a discount available to you is one thing, believing you are entitled to it and outright demanding it is completely different.  The first is you being a wise consumer, the latter is you being a jerk and embarrassing yourself (and any organization with which you affiliate).

Again though, it seems we are veering off topic as we discuss military discounts.  The initial post was requesting assistance locating CAP Discounts.

The CAP website lists a bunch of discounts that, prior to this thread, I was (mostly) unaware of...

http://level2.cap.us/en/member_services/

Might not save you on an oil change, but hey, it's something, right?

Spike

I am military, and I don't seek out discounts. 

As far as others doing it....who cares.  They are the only person who has to make amends for it, and live with the fact that they took a benefit not specifically afforded to them.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Spike on May 17, 2009, 11:12:02 PM

As far as others doing it....who cares.  They are the only person who has to make amends for it, and live with the fact that they took a benefit not specifically afforded to them.

I care; it makes the rest of us look bad.

Stonewall

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 17, 2009, 05:23:03 PM

RM

The Oakley discount isn't solely for military personnel.  It's for Law Enforcement, Emergency Services, EMS, Fire Fighters and military folks.  I'd say CAP falls into that list of categories.

I got a 10% discount at Bass Pro Shops today.  I noticed a sign as I walked in that said military folks get a discount between 15 and 30 of each month.  No problem, I bought a $160 Range Finder and got $16 off.

Yes, military members and their families have to make sacrifices, but it's not like they're hurting that bad.  In my opinion, the toughest part of the military is being away from family.  Other than that, the military compensates its members quite well and they don't need discounts.  Military members make good money these days.  Maybe their base pay doesn't look too good, but add in BAH and BAS and a bonuses for a lot of people, and you'd be surprised how much they make.  An E-5 with 6 years in made $50K last year because he is station in DC.  That ain't bad for a guy without college and for someone who does next to nothing at work.

Back to discounts.  I accept them without any guilt.  From movie theaters to Jiffy Lube, if they offer discounts to military, I accept them.  I saved $40 on my car at Jiffy Lube a couple of weeks ago because I needed some extra work done.  That's $40 I can use for other things.  Sure, I'll accept $40.

As for CAP, if someone recognizes us a public safety or military member, good on us.  We deserve discounts more than the military in some cases.  We're 100% volunteer without pay.  Not only do we not get paid, but we fork out tons of cash to support our volunteerism.  Every bit helps.
Serving since 1987.

Spike

Quote from: NCO forever on May 17, 2009, 11:36:54 PM
Quote from: Spike on May 17, 2009, 11:12:02 PM

I care; it makes the rest of us look bad.

Tell me how it makes "us" look bad??

Rotorhead

Quote from: Stonewall on May 17, 2009, 11:50:48 PM
As for CAP, if someone recognizes us a public safety or military member, good on us.  We deserve discounts more than the military in some cases.  We're 100% volunteer without pay.  Not only do we not get paid, but we fork out tons of cash to support our volunteerism.  Every bit helps.
I can't  justify accepting a discount intended for members of the military (and their families).

For starters, RM members put their lives on the line and are often away from home for months at a time. We don't and we aren't.

Lots of people volunteer to be a part of a service organization and pay for that. Should Rotarians get a discount? How about The Elks? Kof C?

If your conscience permits you to take discounts intended for people who serve in the military, which you do not if you're a only member of CAP, then I guess that's your right, but I can't justify doing it.

Integrity, remember?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Stonewall

Quote from: Rotorhead on May 18, 2009, 12:54:34 AMIf your conscience permits you to take discounts intended for people who serve in the military, at risk to their personal safety, then I guess that's your right, but I can't justify doing it.

I am in the real military and I have no problem with CAP members being afforded a discount as a member of the military, even as an auxiliary of the military. 

At risk to their personal safety?  Tell me, how does a parachute rigger risk their life more than a CAP Mission Pilot performing a homeland security mission?  Or a contract specialist being in harm's way compared to a ground team member humping through the woods in search of a missing aircrew?  After all, these are often AIR FORCE missions.

In fact, I'd say we cross into two categories of groups that are often given discounts; public safety and the military. 

The fact is, this is irrelevant because other than the Oakley site, I'm not sure if any CAP member would attempt to represent themselves as a military member in an effort to get a discount intended for military personnel, except for a case or two where a CAP member did so posing as something they're not.
Serving since 1987.

Rotorhead

Quote from: Stonewall on May 18, 2009, 01:08:16 AM
The fact is, this is irrelevant because other than the Oakley site, I'm not sure if any CAP member would attempt to represent themselves as a military member in an effort to get a discount intended for military personnel, except for a case or two where a CAP member did so posing as something they're not.
Have you read the thread?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on May 18, 2009, 01:08:16 AM
I am in the real military and I have no problem with CAP members being afforded a discount as a member of the military, even as an auxiliary of the military. 

At risk to their personal safety?  Tell me, how does a parachute rigger risk their life more than a CAP Mission Pilot performing a homeland security mission?  Or a contract specialist being in harm's way compared to a ground team member humping through the woods in search of a missing aircrew?  After all, these are often AIR FORCE missions.

Since you put it on the table, I'll have to second the sentiment here and move it a little further.

I frankly have never understood the vehement resentment, and sometimes outright hostility we get as CAP members by some people who are current or former military, some of them even CAP members.  Sometimes the worst comes from our own because they think its "ok" or "necessary" because they "know".

In the paramilitary aspects of CAP, you guys have all the cool points and credibility, yet instead of welcoming us into your mentorship and thanking us for our small service, a lot of you give us nothing but grief and accusations of "wannabe-ism".

Instead of highlighting our successes, you look for every crack in our systems as an indication that the whole thing is fundamentally broken, as if the other services have no inside dissenters, and everyone from the E-1's to the O-10's agree all the time.

And you insinuate that the ravings of people with too much free time about uniform minutia or other trivia reflects an organization-wide lack of focus, despite the fact that the various military forums show considerably more arguments than here about uniforms, politics, and everything else one could imagine.

The fact is that many of our more active members put in as much or more time in CAP as the average non-activated Guard member or Reservist, and there are plenty of jobs in every service where there will never be a hint of personal danger greater than a papercut or diabetes, yet somehow the very insinuation that CAP service might have some value in and of itself, or personal risk, is akin to flag desecration.

And we do it with no pay, no benefits, on our own time, and in many cases to more detriment to our family relationships and personal obligations than even active 9-5'ers because its all done on nights and weekends.  We have our piece in the grander puzzle, its a small one, but its necessary.  Without us, sure, someone would pick up the slack, at least the absolutely 100% non-optional slack, but not for free.

So when you guys start ringing the "you're not military bell", remember who you're ringing it on - not some goober who hangs a Seal uniform in his truck and tries to pick up chicks because he's "elite", but people who have sworn their own oath to the same flag, country, and organization as you, and are so proud to serve they do it for no money, little respect, and little appreciation.

Bear that in mind the next time it comes up that a discount, vehicle pass, or some other double-secret military "right" might make a CAP guy's life a hair easier.

We're all in this together.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Rotorhead on May 18, 2009, 01:11:55 AM
Have you read the thread?

Um yeah, what's your point?  I realize there a few knuckleheads out there who misrepresent themselves, but I'm guessing it's few and far between and not the norm.
Serving since 1987.

biomed441

Thanks Eclipse and Stonewall for actually standing up for us CAPers.

Honestly I like to believe that the majority of those in CAP are honest and practice integrity. There are those few who do not, but there's really not too much we can do about that. Fact is though, like it or not, the CAP does do a great service to this nation, and if there are businesses out there that want to recognize it, then great. We all deserve it.

Does that mean we should be going around and saying hey, I'm in the Air Force, give me a discount; absolutely not.  I don't see any harm in asking if a certain discount applies to CAP if that business makes it visible that they offer military discounts. A pattern I have noticed is that if they say "military discount" it generally applies to active, non-active, reserve, guard, vet, and public safety as well. So if you feel like your pocket book is getting crunched by the economy, I know mine is as I just lost my job, what harm can come to saying "hey does that discount apply to Civil Air Patrol members as well?"

In the end we all join the CAP for different reasons. I rejoined as a SM because 3 attempts at joining active duty failed because of health problems.  Thankfully the CAP gives me the opportunity to still serve my country to a capacity that my health issues do not interfere.  And it almost sickens me that someone would be offended or look down on my service, as less than theirs, just because I don't take a gun to work everyday, or I don't hold AD status, or I've never seen a tour overseas.   That being said, I value the sacrifice of the men and women who do serve on AD, and my prayers go out to those currently overseas.  Veterans as well have my sincere thanks.

And for those of you who seem to think that CAP should not receive discounts of any kind, or even be allowed to wear a USAF Style uniform. I proudly accept my 1 dollar CAP discount (which I actually asked if their posted military discount applied to CAP, and they said yes) on my haircut to meet grooming standards for my AF style uniform. ;D

Spike

Quote from: Rotorhead on May 18, 2009, 12:54:34 AM
For starters, RM members put their lives on the line and are often away from home for months at a time. We don't and we aren't.

Hmm.......Katrina was far away from home, and I along with a few other CAP members were fired upon.  Not to mention the dangerous job of house to house searching, not knowing what we would stumble upon. 

Before that I can count three separate instances were I and fellow members recovered deceased pilots and crew.  The first time I was 16. 

Then if you want to count months away from home, all together I have spent a total of 5 months away from home if you count all the Encampments and Seminars and Training and weekends spent with CAP. 

Sorry I didn't join the Air Guard so I can spend 2 days a month for 20 years doing paperwork in some cube (many do!).

I want to add I spent 7 years on AD, and now serve in the Reserves.  I served my county, and at the same time, served my community in CAP. 

So before you go shouting off "not real military", and "should join the military", let me tell you there are many CAP members who do more in service to this country than many Service members ever will.  The only difference is Military members get paid, CAP members do not.  CAP members are truly patriots because they serve their country with no expectation of monetary gain, unlike everyone in the military.       

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Spike on May 18, 2009, 02:38:27 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on May 18, 2009, 12:54:34 AM

So before you go shouting off "not real military", and "should join the military", let me tell you there are many CAP members who do more in service to this country than many Service members ever will.  The only difference is Military members get paid, CAP members do not.  CAP members are truly patriots because they serve their country with no expectation of monetary gain, unlike everyone in the military.       
Military members are subject to the UCMJ, they have to obey orders and go into harms way at a moment notice.  They are away from their families for long periods of time.  They sometimes get seriously injuried (with life changing disabilities) or die.   Military members are on duty 24 hours a day 7 days a week, many in war zones.  Contrast the typical CAP members who can select what missions they want to do & even while on a mission can decide that it's time to return home due to personal issues.   As a retired active military member I know what the sacrifices are in the toll it can take on military members & their familiies (especially today with the multiple deployments to a hostile environment).   Although CAP membership & service is worthwhile and deserves appropriate recognition, let me say it again, YOU ARE NOT MILILTARY MEMBERS & ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANY BENEFITS OFFERED to "REAL" MILITARY PERSONNEL.  Get over it and press on.

BUT IF a business wants to give you a discount because you are a CAP member, than that's great, by all means take it.  BUT PLEASE don't portray yourself as a military member, you aren't, and unless you join & serve faithfully for the full term of your obligation with the guard, reserve, active armed forces, YOU WILL NEVER achieve that attain that status.
RM 

Stonewall

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 18, 2009, 03:55:01 AM
Military members are subject to the UCMJ, they have to obey orders and go into harms way at a moment notice.  They are away from their families for long periods of time.  They sometimes get seriously injuried (with life changing disabilities) or die.   Military members are on duty 24 hours a day 7 days a week, many in war zones.

You know, I too am a veteran who has spent long periods of time on deployments, in training and away from family.  It's great, it's honorable.  I doubt there is a CAP member who doesn't respect our veterans.  But I think we often paint a picture that every military member "responds at a moments notice" or who "are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week". 

I remember reading an article from a Vietnam [combat] Veteran that stated that roughly 15% of Vietnam Veterans engaged in combat action.  This, of course, does not take anything away from the pay clerk, the education specialist or the guy that hands out towels at the gym; but more military members are in support roles and have "9 to 5" jobs than people realize.  I am on an active Air Force base right now.  If it weren't for uniforms, you'd think this was just a corporate business park.

Did you know that more Marines died from motorcycle accidents in 2008 than in combat?  Again, this does not take away the service our military members give to our country and its freedom.  I'm just trying to make a point that while our military members make sacrifices, it's not like they're all at the forward edge of battle day in and day out.  In fact, a small percentage of troops are actually "on the front lines"; I'd say fewere than 10%, but that's just a guess.

Contrast the typical CAP members who can select what missions they want to do & even while on a mission can decide that it's time to return home due to personal issues.   As a retired active military member I know what the sacrifices are in the toll it can take on military members & their familiies (especially today with the multiple deployments to a hostile environment).   

Although CAP membership & service is worthwhile and deserves appropriate recognition, let me say it again, YOU ARE NOT MILILTARY MEMBERS & ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANY BENEFITS OFFERED to "REAL" MILITARY PERSONNEL.  Get over it and press on.

You are correct, CAP members are not military members.  But like many people in our country, we do make sacrifices.  Other than deployments or long periods of time away from family, I'd say we make some good credible sacrifices.  We are but small part of the Air Force, but we are a force multiplier.  Do conduct missions for the Air Force and we often prepare young men and women for follow-on careers in the Air Force.  Like you said, if a company wishes to extend their discount to us for being auxiliary members of the military great.  But no one should be demanding, CAP or military.

My military job is and has been 100% combat related.  I have always been a gun toter, not a support guy in the rear.  I take no offense to a CAP member accepting a discount if offered based on their affiliation with the military.
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

We have several business in my local area that offer military discounts. When I see one of these signs, I ask, "Does that include retired folks, too?" Only once has the response been no, and I said thank you, and paid the listed price.

As for any CAP discounts, I never really thought about asking, due to my retired status.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BrandonKea

Quote from: SarDragon on May 18, 2009, 04:45:15 AM
We have several business in my local area that offer military discounts. When I see one of these signs, I ask, "Does that include retired folks, too?" Only once has the response been no, and I said thank you, and paid the listed price.

As for any CAP discounts, I never really thought about asking, due to my retired status.

Really, someone shot you down because you're not AD? Lame.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Short Field

[BUT IF a business wants to give you a discount because you are a CAP member, than that's great, by all means take it.  BUT PLEASE don't portray yourself as a military member, you aren't, and unless you join & serve faithfully for the full term of your obligation with the guard, reserve, active armed forces, YOU WILL NEVER achieve that attain that status.
RM

And that is the point of this whole drift.   Taking a CAP discount does not translate to convincing them you deserve a military discount because your CAP ID card calls you a Major or says USAF AUX.
Wilson #2640

Auxpilot

Interesting thread.

Shortly after 9/11 the subject came up about citizens thanking CAP folks in uniform for their service. I posted that if I thought that I was being mistaken for an active duty military member I would politely let the person know that I was CAP. A outspoken member of either this board or Cap Blog, I don't recall, jumped all over me because he said that we deserve as much credit for what we do as the active folks did and that he proudly accepts the praise and moves on. I did not agree as I felt that the praise was being directed to the folks taking fire overseas, and it appears most on this thread feel that way as well. (I don't want to open that can of worms again - please)

That being said, volunteer fireman and ambulance crews in my County get a break on their property taxes and CAP does not. That is not fair in my opinion. On the other side of the coin, they do not have a chance to get any military related discounts.

Having been an active duty Airman and now a member of CAP, I have no issue with CAP members taking a discount from a bussiness that offers it. If they are willing to give it to me, why are we arguing about it. If we intentionally pass ourselves off as something that we are not, then that is wrong and we know it.

I have used the CAP card for several discounts over the years. I don't try to make CAP something that it is not, I simply ask "do civillian volunteers in the AF Aux get the military discount?" If the answer is yes, I gladly accept it. I sleep very well at night.

Lt Oliv

There are a whole bunch of places (rental cars, cell phones etc.) that offer discounts to members of various groups ranging from the American Legion to AARP to the Barbershop Society. 

These are group discounts, afforded to members of a particular group.  The original question (I believe) was asking, are there any discounts specific to CAP?

Now, regarding "military discounts" I will simply say this.  I have seen local merchants give the military discounts to veterans, retirees, reservists, CAP, USCG Aux, Sea Cadets and Marine Corps League.  I have also seen them deny the discount to everyone except Active Duty. 

I have also seen uniformed members of the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration receive these discounts (when in uniform).  They are sometimes given to police officers, Paramedics, forest rangers or any other person that walks in with a uniform. 

Identifying yourself as a member of the Civil Air Patrol or USCG Aux and asking if there is a discount for your membership is not some grave immoral act.  It is simply asking if you can save 5% at the clerk/manager/owner's discretion.  If they say "Sure!" then you have absolutely no reason to lose sleep at night.  You asked, you received.

I strongly suspect that the individuals who are so vehemently opposed to receiving this discount are simply opposed to CAP Members blurring (or attempting to blur) the lines between a Civilian Auxiliary group and the Military Branch with which it is affiliated.

I'm sure members of the NYPD Auxiliary face the same issue.

Since we have veered so far off topic it isn't even funny and this is showing absolutely no signs of ending, what if we just leave it at:

1)  (In response to the original post) Yes, there are CAP Discounts, check out the website's member benefits section.
2)  When in doubt, ask if your membership in CAP qualifies for a discount (leave it to the merchant to determine if he will extend the military courtesy to you as well)
3)  If a fellow member receives a discount, whether you want to call it a CAP Discount, a Public Safety Discount or a Military Discount, we are going to be big boys and girls and not whine and cry about how they are "military wannabes*" because that term is extremely offensive to me (as a veteran) and to everyone else who takes pride in the relationship between CAP and the USAF.

*Real military wannabes are the people who wear military apparel purchased from a surplus store, eat MREs in their living room and talk about military tactics without ever having served anyplace that wasn't a video game and do not have the necessary drive to put on a proper uniform and actually do "stuff" for the military, government agency or a civilian auxiliary organization.

Auxpilot

Quote from: Ollie on May 18, 2009, 03:32:05 PM
There are a whole bunch of places (rental cars, cell phones etc.) that offer discounts to members of various groups ranging from the American Legion to AARP to the Barbershop Society. 

These are group discounts, afforded to members of a particular group.  The original question (I believe) was asking, are there any discounts specific to CAP?

Now, regarding "military discounts" I will simply say this.  I have seen local merchants give the military discounts to veterans, retirees, reservists, CAP, USCG Aux, Sea Cadets and Marine Corps League.  I have also seen them deny the discount to everyone except Active Duty. 

I have also seen uniformed members of the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration receive these discounts (when in uniform).  They are sometimes given to police officers, Paramedics, forest rangers or any other person that walks in with a uniform. 

Identifying yourself as a member of the Civil Air Patrol or USCG Aux and asking if there is a discount for your membership is not some grave immoral act.  It is simply asking if you can save 5% at the clerk/manager/owner's discretion.  If they say "Sure!" then you have absolutely no reason to lose sleep at night.  You asked, you received.

I strongly suspect that the individuals who are so vehemently opposed to receiving this discount are simply opposed to CAP Members blurring (or attempting to blur) the lines between a Civilian Auxiliary group and the Military Branch with which it is affiliated.

I'm sure members of the NYPD Auxiliary face the same issue.

Since we have veered so far off topic it isn't even funny and this is showing absolutely no signs of ending, what if we just leave it at:

1)  (In response to the original post) Yes, there are CAP Discounts, check out the website's member benefits section.
2)  When in doubt, ask if your membership in CAP qualifies for a discount (leave it to the merchant to determine if he will extend the military courtesy to you as well)
3)  If a fellow member receives a discount, whether you want to call it a CAP Discount, a Public Safety Discount or a Military Discount, we are going to be big boys and girls and not whine and cry about how they are "military wannabes*" because that term is extremely offensive to me (as a veteran) and to everyone else who takes pride in the relationship between CAP and the USAF.

*Real military wannabes are the people who wear military apparel purchased from a surplus store, eat MREs in their living room and talk about military tactics without ever having served anyplace that wasn't a video game and do not have the necessary drive to put on a proper uniform and actually do "stuff" for the military, government agency or a civilian auxiliary organization.

Very well said!

JoeTomasone

I think that a majority of the feelings here center around the fact that the vast majority of Americans do not know that CAP is NOT active duty military and will tend to give us discounts even if they are intended for AD. 

There's no good answer here -- just like there's no good answer to easily give to those who come up to you in uniform to thank you for your service.     Just accept it, give thanks, and get on with it. 

Now, if you portray yourself as "USAF Auxiliary" to obtain a discount where you believe that CAP normally would not, then you are likely on the wrong moral side of the issue.   But if you know that there is a discount, present an ID card (or are there in uniform) and ask if you are entitled to a discount, then I do not believe that you should feel guilty when you receive one.

I was on my way to visit a Squadron and stopped at a Walgreens for a few things.   As the cashier was ringing me up, I noticed "Discount" flash by on the register screen.   When I got the receipt, I saw "Military Discount" on it, and then saw a sign that said, "Military Discount Every Tuesday".     Should I have gone back and returned the 2 or 3 dollars?  Made a fuss and embarrassed the clerk who saw a USAF uniform with different colored epaulets?   No, I don't think that either was warranted.  However, I don't save all my Walgreens shopping for Tuesdays, not do I ask for it if I am there on a Tuesday.

Spike

BUT PLEASE don't portray yourself as a military member, you aren't, and unless you join & serve faithfully for the full term of your obligation with the guard, reserve, active armed forces, YOU WILL NEVER achieve that attain that status.
RM

Wow.  In your response I got that;
1) unless you serve your full term of military service you are not real military?  Does that mean you must re-enlist to become "real military" in your World?

2) Retired Folks aren't "real military"?

3) We CAP members "pretend to be "real military"?

4) Military Members service and sacrifices are more important than anyone else's?

I served my time on AD, I currently serve in the reserve component along with many other previous Active Duty Folks.  I have to say my reserve obligations and duties fall far shorter than the time I put into CAP.  SAD, but that is what it is.

Remember when Reserve and National Guard members only received 12 then 24 visits to a Commissary?  I bet you were the guy that was upset when DOD let us in to the Commissary anytime we wanted with unlimited shopping privileges......right?!?!

Lets not forget the "real military" members that joined after Vietnam and retired early before the First Gulf War.  Many never left the States! 

Don't ever try to say that "Real Military" folks don't join for the money.  Anyone who says that, I welcome them to donate their salary to the Red Cross.  Everything a person does Career wise is driven subconsciously by salary and benefit.  Sure the military is a voluntary force, but the minute DFAS directly deposits your first paycheck, you are no longer a volunteer!  Volunteers in the basic sense of the word would not have service obligations, recall possibility or no way out of being ordered to Combat.

Now if this was pre-1901 and you joined your States "militia" (National Guard now) and did it because of desire to serve the local community and not get paid in the process (Militias did not get paid, unless ordered to Federal Service) I would believe you to be a TRUE VOLUNTEER.

You and everyone else joining the Armed Forces VOLUNTEER to join, but expect something in return for your volunteering.  The minute your signature goes on the enlistment contract or Oath of Office, you become an obligatory instrument of the Government (State or Federal), and receive compensation for you carrying out your duty.

The day that the recruiters stop waving money in front of ghetto kids and College tuition to lower middle class, average high school kids will be the day that people join the military for things other than money.

Heck, the Army was paying Captains two years ago to stay in the Service.  Bribery at it's best!!

Short Field

^^^ So the military members are not really military members??  And anyone who does join and doesn't donate their paycheck to the Red Cross is ONLY motivated by money??  Sorry Spike, but if the military was only composed of people who could donate their paycheck to charity, it would be a mighty small military composed of the rich.

RADIOMAN015 said it right.   :clap:

Wilson #2640

Stonewall

I think military members are compensated nicely.  Did you know that you can join the Air Guard right now and get a $20,000 signing bonus?  And, your college tuition paid in full?  All that and you only have to show up one weekend a month; two weeks a year. 

The sad part is, I witness punk-ass kids still complain.  Not just one or two, but most.  I am the only one in my squadron who didn't get a bonus for enlisting.  THE ONLY ONE!!!  It's because I transfered from another state.  There are people trying to figure ways out left and right, but the Guard doesn't do anything to get their money back.

Deployment?  Yep, BTDT.  I witnessed a large percentage of highly paid "volunteers" make every excuse to get out of deployment; some succesfully.  #1 reason (excuse) was "I'm in college".  The same people who b*tch about having to show up one weekend a month after depositing that bonus check and being paid for quality training, not to mention all the other perks, are the same ones who hit the door running when deployments come up.

My supervisor in the Guard has been in 21 years.  He has gotten a bonus EVERY SINGLE TIME and has never, not once, stepped one foot outside of the US.  And yes, he is proud of this. 

My point is this.   CAP members do in fact make sacrifices.  Voluntary sacrifices with little to no compensation.  In fact, in most cases, they use their own funds and don't get reimbursed.  Military members volunteer to join, but once in, are well compensated for the job they do.  When a majority of troops are non-combat oriented; have 9 to 5 jobs, travel the world, get medical benefits, tax free shopping, retirement after 20, 30 days of paid vacation, bonuses, paid training, given a housing allowance and more job security than any civilian out there; yeah, I'd say it's a pretty good gig, the military.  And then on top of all these great things, they're often afforded a military discount.  And while I don't advocate CAP or military mebers alike demanding discounts, I am still 100% cool with a CAP member asking if a "military discount" encompasses CAP, as the AF's auxiliary.

Serving since 1987.

AlphaSigOU

Well said, Colonel!  :clap:

I won't troll for military discounts out on civvy street either, but if one is offered to me while in uniform I won't turn it down.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Spike

Quote from: Short Field on May 19, 2009, 08:20:04 PM
^^^ So the military members are not really military members??  And anyone who does join and doesn't donate their paycheck to the Red Cross is ONLY motivated by money??  Sorry Spike, but if the military was only composed of people who could donate their paycheck to charity, it would be a mighty small military composed of the rich.

Please reread my post.  Those things that look like this "?" means I am asking a question. 

I never once said "military members are not real military members".  How can you conclude that is what I was saying. 

All I wanted to get across was that we throw out the term "volunteer" very loosely and some use it in different context than what it means.

I also am not a fan of those that drop the "should just join the military" response, when responding to threads like this.  It shows how much they truly DO NOT KNOW.

Everyone in the military get so many benefits already, why should they care if a CAP member also gets the "home depot 10% discount" too?

I just don't get it.

One final thought on this subject..... we are still in the fallout time frame from 9/11, give it a few more years, and more economic and political turmoil and watch how Americans generosity and kindness towards the military falls away.  Historically after any war, the American public shows great gratitude toward the Armed Forces, but it always diminishes the further we move away from the date of hostilities.

So take your free coffees and discounts on your cigarettes, because before you know it, you will find such generous acts far and few between. 

I never once have taken a discount or a free meal.  I am an American Citizen, like every other American Citizen, and have a career like millions of other Americans.  I am no different than anyone else.  We have different jobs, but we each add to society, and are no more or less important than anyone else.

Lt Oliv

Now if this was pre-1901 and you joined your States "militia" (National Guard now) and did it because of desire to serve the local community and not get paid in the process (Militias did not get paid, unless ordered to Federal Service) I would believe you to be a TRUE VOLUNTEER.

I'd be careful here.  Some states still have militias independent of the National Guard (like New York, Texas, Ohio and, I believe, Virginia).  It is interesting to note that you can be a member of the New York Guard, wear a uniform very similar to the Army, work alongside the Army and NG, but...outside of the state of New York, you are not considered a veteran.

I wonder how those opposed to CAP receiving a "military discount" view members of such state militias doing the same.  Are they taking something away from Federalized Service members?

Short Field

Quote from: Spike on May 19, 2009, 10:38:40 PM
Everyone in the military get so many benefits already, why should they care if a CAP member also gets the "home depot 10% discount" too?

I just don't get it.

Yes, you don't get it.   :(
Wilson #2640

Spike

Quote from: Short Field on May 19, 2009, 11:25:38 PM
Yes, you don't get it.   :(

Don't be  :(  be  :D happy!

We just have different views.  Lets be happy that we are allowed to have differing views.

Now lets get to more interesting topics like what uniform we all should dislike this week or what Wing has a better Van.  I know....lets discuss why we shouldn't follow regulations and why Cadets are far more equipped to lead Ground teams.