Summary of Winter Board 2008 Changes and approvals

Started by Eclipse, March 01, 2008, 09:55:14 PM

Eclipse

For those who were unable to watch the stream.  Could someone post a summary of changes and approvals?

"That Others May Zoom"

gistek

As soon as they are available, they will be posted in the "CAP National Agenda/Meeting Minutes" part of the e-services site.

Currently the agenda is available.

I was able to watch part of the proceedings. I especially enjoyed the Cadet Advisory Committee report. Most interesting to me was the initiative to revise the current PT requirement to better encourage life long fitness goals.

Eclipse

I understand, however sometimes that can take a month+ to be posted.

I'm sure there are plenty of people with copious notes.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

These are from my notes for Friday only.  I was working a double ELT mission, so missed some discussion and votes.  I didn't hear any of the Saturday session.
Agenda Item
1. Minutes - approved

2. Line of Succession - Option B proposed, option A as listed in agenda.  Option B would work just like the US presidential succession.  Vice commander would automatically succeed commander.  If the change occurred at the halfway point or earlier in the term, the new commander could not run for election at the next regularly scheduled election.  If the succession occurred at half + one day or later in the current term, the new commander could run for election at the next regularly scheduled election.  The staff said either option was acceptable.
Motion was tabled to Saturday.  If I read the other thread correctly, Option A, the original proposal, was accepted.

3. NIMS Compliance.  The proposal was not included in the agenda.  Instead of complete compliance by 30 Sep 08, all I/IS class deadlines except I-400 would be extended to 31 Dec 08.  I-400 completion would be extended to 30 Sep 09. 

Amendment 1 was to drop the specific dates, and only state that compliance will meet dates as specified by the federal government.  This amendment passed on a vote of 32 to 26.

Amendment 2 was to drop the I-400 requirement for section chiefs and Information Officer.  I-400 would then only be required for IC, Safety Officer and Liaison Officer.  This carried without a specific vote total announced (but by implication not unanimous).

The motion to accept the proposal as amended carried, again without a vote total.

4. Communications Curriculum. Some discussion about grandfathering, but I believe the motion as published carried.

5 and 6 - ?

7. Recognition of CAP Mission Pilot Hours - failed after some interesting discussion.

8. Amending CAPR 265-1 regarding terms for chaplains.  Some discussion, but I didn't hear the result.

9. Process PD Awards through eServices. Passed as published.

10. Member Achievement Award.  Amended to accept the design shown during the meeting (not quite the same as shown in the agenda, see the other thread).   Passed.

11. Make AE Education reports available through eServices.  Passed as published.

12.  Incident Staff Member of the Year Award. Passed as published.

13. Ground Team Member of the Year Award.  The agenda schedule showed this as GT Member, but the proposal write-up is for Ground Team of the Year.  There was some discussion and confusion over which it was supposed to be.  The sponsor, Col Pearson, never spoke through a mic, so he couldn't be heard. 

The motion passed with a comment that it would be straightened out.  I believe it is an individual member award and not a team award. [Although the 1AF aircrew award clearly spells out it is awarded to the entire crew.]

14. Extension of CAPF 75 (drivers license) Validation Period.  Amended for the renewal to coincide with the drivers license renewal, whatever the period is. There was concern since some states have 10 year renewal periods.  Wings can issue a supplement to specify a shorter period.  Passed.

15. Revise CAPR 123-3. ?

16. Make prospective member information available through eServices. Passed.

17. Remove USCAP tape from BDU and field jacket.  Tabled to Saturday to work out a clear proposal for all USCAP items.  Someone wondered if this included the U.S. cutout on the service coat collar.

18. Boonie hats.  The black van people disconnected the audio during this discussion.  The audio came back at the completion of the vote.  For what?

19. Long sleeve polo shirt.  Approved with the same markings as on the short sleeve shirt.

20. Remove silver braid from TPU coat and silver band from service cap.  Confusion reigned during this discussion.  Sanity prevailed with a motion to table it indefinitely, followed by applause.

21. Drop the requirement that ribbons, badges and devices must fall below the notch on the collar.  Passed.

22. Change to the command patch without the US.  Tabled to Saturday so it can be included with the other USCAP items.

End of meeting, but not my mission.

Mike

CASH172

This is Saturday only, and this is going by memory on stuff I cared more about, so don't take this as too accurate.

Discussion to have a cadet sit as a non-voting member of the NB did not carry. 

USCAP Command Patches for uniforms will be phased out by March 2010. 
USCAP Tapes for uniforms will be phased out by March 2010.
USCAP Command Patches for vans and aircraft will be replaced as needed.

The Black All Weather Coat for wear with the TPUs.  Passed.
Cold Weather Cap, not sure if TPU, SDU, or both.  Passed

A motion to have the old USAF Aux patch as optional on the flight suit did not pass.

A new alternate field uniform, not sure on the details.  Passed.

SARCOMP.  Did not pass, I think.

I didn't catch the details on the line of succession or the whole deal about NB and NEC jurisdiction.  I also forgot the ending on the suspension of accused member for possible CPP violations.  I probably missed a few things. 

♠SARKID♠

From the Wyoming Wing website, my additions in red -

1. Change BDU and Field Jacket Tape, along with Change Command Patch – Passed amended.
        Goodbye United States Civil Air Patrol
2. Wear of Senior Member NCO Grades on the New Corporate Uniform – Passed
3. Region and Wing “XXX-XX-000” Squadrons – Report accepted
4. Cadet on National Board – Defeated
5. Regulation and Control of CAP Participation in “Booster Clubs” – Sent back to committee
6. Suspension of individuals during investigations of Alleged Cadet Abuse - ?
7. Bylaw Change – Passes and sent to the BoG
8. Revision of CAPR 60-1 and CAPF 5 – Sent back to committee
9. Nomination of MGen Bowling to Hall of Honor – Passed
10. Emergency Services Competition – Defeated
11. Agenda Item Submission Procedure – Passed
12. Adverse Personnel Action Report – Tabled
13. Civil Air Patrol Ethics Program – New regulation posted.
14. Wing Commander can authorized items for field use – Passed
         Wing Commanders can now authorize field teams to wear non-regulation uniforms i.e blaze orange t-shirts, etc.  Some of our customers and state EM agencies did not allow CAP to participate in their activities because of our uniform's lack of visibility and inconformancies with their regulations.
15. National Command Badge – Defeated
16. Commander’s Commendation with bronze star to designate Region Commander award – Passed
17. Overcoat wear – Passed
         New overcoat for corporate uniform
18. Winter Cap wear – Passed
19. FAA Wings program accepting Form 5/91 and NCPSC credit – Passed
20. Adding “US Air Force Auxiliary” to Commander patch – Defeated

jeders

At the end of the meeting Saturday the Vanguard Rep said that all plastic encased insignia are unavailable until they find a new supplier. If they don't find a new supplier then they won't be selling us anymore plastic encased insignia. If that happens National will address the situation with an emergency action.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Capt Rivera

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 02, 2008, 08:07:44 AM

3. Region and Wing "XXX-XX-000" Squadrons – Report accepted

anyone know what that was about? what was said? etc?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

BillB

Without a doubt that internet video presentation was on a scale from 1-10 a zero.
Dropped audio, jerky pans. shots of a vacant podium when actionwas off to the side slides on screen long after the speaker covered them and moved on. Could I have done better? You bet your bippie since I have 40 years experience in video production and presentation. I've seen much better production coming from the CAP National staff. It doesn't look like something Marc would turn out.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

_

Quote from: RiveraJ on March 02, 2008, 05:12:46 PM

It dealt with the fact that the 000 squadrons are often used as holding squadrons for members who still have active memberships but are not active at any level.  As it stands now, those people still have the same eservices access as an active member.  They're looking at the possibility of restricting access of those in the 000 squadrons.

Eclipse

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on March 02, 2008, 05:34:48 PM

It dealt with the fact that the 000 squadrons are often used as holding squadrons for members who still have active memberships but are not active at any level.  As it stands now, those people still have the same eservices access as an active member.  They're looking at the possibility of restricting access of those in the 000 squadrons.

There is also the issue of what "inactive" really means - some states, including mine, want it to mean that if you are "000", you can't do anything, including flying, however there are very specific regs about restricting flight privileges, and until that is addressed, they can't ground someone for being in "000".

"That Others May Zoom"

_

Quote from: Eclipse on March 02, 2008, 05:51:26 PM
Quote from: Bayhawk21 on March 02, 2008, 05:34:48 PM

There is also the issue of what "inactive" really means - some states, including mine, want it to mean that if you are "000", you can't do anything, including flying, however there are very specific regs about restricting flight privileges, and until that is addressed, they can't ground someone for being in "000".
That point was brought up as well and will probably be considered for future action

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Hello everybody,

I watched the winter board online as well. It was 8pm over here in Europe when it started.

Does anybody know what the new BDU and field jacket tape will look like ??

Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

Eclipse

New?   ???

It just reverts to "CIVIL AIR PATROL", right?

"That Others May Zoom"

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

That's what I thought.

We ordered from vanguard in september 07 new cap taps for bdu's and when we got those we saw that they said: U.S. Civil Air Patrol

So we ordered those for all of us and everybody had to change those out.

And now it will go back again ???
Deputy commander
Germany
LX1MG

DC

Quote from: NHQ-OS-126 Frank on March 02, 2008, 07:05:11 PM

That's what I thought.

We ordered from vanguard in september 07 new cap taps for bdu's and when we got those we saw that they said: U.S. Civil Air Patrol

So we ordered those for all of us and everybody had to change those out.

And now it will go back again ???
Yup. The U.S. Civil Air Patrol was an unfortunate change made by the former Nat/CC. It is now back to Civil Air Patrol. However, the phaseout date is March 2010, so there is time to wear out the new ones if you desire to do so...

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Tnx for the answer.......

I just didn't get the information why they don't wanna use U.S. Civil Air Patrol anymore.
Deputy commander
Germany
LX1MG

jeders

U.S. was removed from everything that said U.S. CAP a few months ago, this was just finalizing that decision as far as our uniforms are concerned.

U.S. never should have been added, and now it has to be removed to correct the mistake.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

QuoteYup. The U.S. Civil Air Patrol was an unfortunate change made by the former Nat/CC.
Technically, the same people that voted to drop it, were the ones who approved it last fall.  He just pushed for it.  Doesn't say much about the ability of the NB to think for itself. 

Ricochet13

Quote from: DC on March 02, 2008, 07:14:25 PM
Yup. The U.S. Civil Air Patrol was an unfortunate change made by the former Nat/CC. It is now back to Civil Air Patrol. However, the phaseout date is March 2010, so there is time to wear out the new ones if you desire to do so...

The former NAT/CC true, but let's not forget there were those at the National level who must also accept responsibility for these added/needless costs to members when the decision to change was made in the first place.

I often wonder if the "corporate mentality" within the organization fails to properly act in member's behalf whenever possible.  For example, would the world have come to an end if we had returned to the previous CAP/USAFAux command patch, rather than an entirely new CIVIL AIR PATROL command patch?
(If that new patch, the third in several years, was not approved, I stand corrected).

At some point those designated as "corporate members" need to be reminded that 56,000 or so members pay dues, and when accepting that money, the "corporation" accepts some obligation to act in those member's behalf, not exclusively for the corporation.

By the way, I did just renewed.  Hoping for the best in the next year. ;D