Above All. The new Air Force slogan.

Started by Smokey, February 20, 2008, 07:46:50 PM

mikeylikey

How about a new slogan that is more relevant to the modern battle

"Should have joined the Army"  or  "You will do nothing you see in this commercial"  or  "Visit Iraq lately"   or  "In today RIF'ed tomorrow"

Seriously, I hate to say it, but the AF is doing more direct support missions for the other services.  Driving a truck through the streets of Baghdad in an Army convoy was most likely NOT what Airman Snuffy signed up for.  Manning POL sites and being a gas attendant for a Marine unit was (again) something Airman Joe did not sign up for.  The AF has changed in its mission.  Sure they still have missiles and airplanes, but most of the work they do today is support work.  It is not the AF of 10 years ago.
What's up monkeys?

ZigZag911

Sounds like the AF has become combat support corps for the Army!

Major Carrales

Just face it, you guys hate any slogun that come out from any one and love ones that have been inactive for years or when you were in you hayday. :'(

But fret not, maybe the time for such rethoric has actually passed.  Why don;t we just use the long tried "mottos" of the past.  Semper Vigilans being a prime example of a good one.

Sorry, I think Mama Cass was right about "Words of Love" not "winning...hearts any more."  It is the actions of the organization, and the spread of those good deeds, that attract the next generation of CAP.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ZigZag911

Sparky, show me a slogan with more pizzazz than a fortune cookie aphorism, I'll LOVE it!

Major Carrales

Quote from: ZigZag911 on February 24, 2008, 05:15:57 PM
Sparky, show me a slogan with more pizzazz than a fortune cookie aphorism, I'll LOVE it!

Ha!!!  We live in time where deep thinking is considered "uncool," where people of progress that better and educate themselves are looked on as disgraceful and distainfully as "schoolboys" and "nerds" while "pimps and hoes" are revered as the new ROCKSTAR ORACLES.  :o

The point, expect not things of exreme mental stimulation or value.

But I you must ask me my opinion the best "catch phrase for CAP" is remarkably simple.

Civil Air Patrol: Always Vigilant!

Simple, traditional and topical.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 24, 2008, 05:28:10 PM

Ha!!!  We live in time where deep thinking is considered "uncool," where people of progress that better and educate themselves are looked on as disgraceful and distainfully as "schoolboys" and "nerds" while "pimps and hoes" are revered as the new ROCKSTAR ORACLES.  :o

But I you must ask me my opinion the best "catch phrase for CAP" is remarkably simple.

"Vigilant?"

Most nitwit junior high school students don't know what that word means.

Perhaps that is the beauty of it... those who understand it are smart enough to participate in the Cadet Program!
Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 24, 2008, 06:44:50 PM

"Vigilant?"

Perhaps that is the beauty of it... those who understand it are smart enough to participate in the Cadet Program!

I agree, most Middle School students are so lacking in vocabulary it is not a wonder why the have a hard time with standardized tests.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 24, 2008, 07:05:25 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 24, 2008, 06:44:50 PM

"Vigilant?"

I agree, most Middle School students are so lacking in vocabulary it is not a wonder why the have a hard time with standardized tests.

I know.  I once subbed in a history class and was explaining Pearl Harbor and America's entry into World War II, and I had to explain the meaning of "Infamy."

jb512

Hey, at least theirs is original and not stolen from a cartoon.

8)

ZigZag911

Sparky, I'm 100% behind Semper Vigilans....it's classy, direct, accurate (we hope!) and Latin!

It's all this nonsense of armies of one and army wants to join you and above and away or whatever the latest AF silliness is...too vague, too weak, sorry, that's how I feel!

Fifinella

I miss the old Air Force mission statement: "To fly, fight, and win."  Succinct and motivational.

"Above All" is better than "An Army of One".  We could make it really easy for the next generation: "Go Blue" for AF, "Go Green" for Army, etc.  (They do still know their colors, don't they?  ;) )
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Fifinella on February 25, 2008, 02:29:06 PM
I miss the old Air Force mission statement: "To fly, fight, and win."  Succinct and motivational.

"Above All" is better than "An Army of One".  We could make it really easy for the next generation: "Go Blue" for AF, "Go Green" for Army, etc.  (They do still know their colors, don't they?  ;) )

The Navy and Marine Corps wear blue and green, respectively, and the Army is eliminating the Army Green uniform in favor of having the Army Blue uniform as the sole dress uniform. 

Are you trying to confuse recent public high school graduates?

Fifinella

^^Hmm.  Obviously the branches of service need to "brand" and trademark colors, or all will become chaos.  :D
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 21, 2008, 12:43:09 AM
Quote from: magoo on February 20, 2008, 11:49:13 PM
Because the Air Force is the youngest service and the most hi-tech, I think they're right to keep their slogan fresh.

Are they really the most high tech?  Some may differ on that opinion.
Well... it is the Air Force that's tasked with heading cyber warfare. In fact, Cyber Command is about to stand up as the new MAJCOM.

Air Force now fights in the air, space and cyberspace, in case you haven't heard.

I like "Above All". It's short, to the point, and easy to remember. That's what marketing slogans should be. USAF is above all other Air Forces, literally and figuratively.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 25, 2008, 02:33:31 PM
Quote from: Fifinella on February 25, 2008, 02:29:06 PM

The Navy and Marine Corps wear blue and green, respectively, and the Army is eliminating the Army Green uniform in favor of having the Army Blue uniform as the sole dress uniform. 

Are you trying to confuse recent public high school graduates?
Hey, even the most famous USMC uniform isn't green. It's blue (dress blues). However, the Navy is abandoning its winter blues uniforms for khakis.
GEORGE LURYE

Senior

The Air Force is still the country club of the Armed Forces ;)
Yes I was in the Army so I can say that about the Aim High(?) Air Force.
About uniforms and colors don't forget the ARMY Dress Whites, yes they
do exist.  Also the Army has a dress uniform with a cape.
:) :D ;D :o ::) :P :-*

JohnKachenmeister

The Army Tropical White went away with the Army Green.  Its just that nobody noticed because it hasn't been worn since Jimmy Carter gave away our Canal.

Grumpy

Quote from: Senior on February 26, 2008, 05:13:30 AM
The Air Force is still the country club of the Armed Forces ;)
Yes I was in the Army so I can say that about the Aim High(?) Air Force.
About uniforms and colors don't forget the ARMY Dress Whites, yes they
do exist.  Also the Army has a dress uniform with a cape.
:) :D ;D :o ::) :P :-*

Hey, is the Army still using the "Time Out Cards" in basic training?
;D

JohnKachenmeister

No, now they have to write "I will not shine my boots with a Hershey bar" 100 times.

Grumpy

I never did, I used Neslies Crunch.  It was a little time consuming with the crunchies and all but then I wanted to impress my DI.   ;D