Above All. The new Air Force slogan.

Started by Smokey, February 20, 2008, 07:46:50 PM

Short Field

Quote from: magoo on February 21, 2008, 12:51:42 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on February 21, 2008, 12:43:09 AM
Are they really the most high tech?  Some may differ on that opinion.

Are you being serious?  No fighting force on the planet is as high-tech as the U.S. Air Force. I'm not saying that as a cheerleader, I think 99% of objective observers would agree with my claim. 

Where people disagree is whether technology makes enough of a difference in post-modern asymmetrical warfare. 

While I am not an objective observer, I totally agree the USAF is the most high-tech service.   The second most high-tech would be the US Navy.  All the services run some advance systems, but the USAF probably has some of the most advanced, and more of them, - and the technical schools to train the people to support the advance systems.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Senior

I always thought that "Aim High" was perfect for the Country Club Attitude
of the Air Force "Zoomies".    An Army marksman aims for the center of
mass. ;D :D ;) ::) :P   I always liked "The Few, The Proud" and "Be All That
You Can Be".  Yes I was in the Army, 13B, Artilleryman.   Yes, it is true you
only have to get close with a barrage of 155mm High Explosive (HE) rounds
to do the job.  I watched a firepower demo at Ft. Sill, bombers, Apache,
artillery, M1 Abrams, MLRS(the rockets landed in Ft. Hood, Texas).  I realized
to be on the receiving end of any one of these weapons systems that you
are so screwed beyond belief.

sardak

In a restroom at an Air Force base (I don't remember which one), above the urinals were bumper stickers with another AF slogan, "Look Up."  Human nature being what it is...
On the ceiling were pasted the "Aim High"  bumper stickers.

Mike

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: magoo on February 21, 2008, 12:45:20 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 21, 2008, 12:35:43 AM
Right.  Backward-looking traditionalists.

You say that like its a BAD thing!

"The US Air Force... Hey, it was good enough for Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, and Ronald Reagan, why not you?"

Sir, are you forgetting Reagan's famous "It's morning in America again..." commercial?  Dutch was one of the most forward-looking leaders of all time. He didn't want to roll back detente and containment, he wanted to create a future without a Soviet Union.

If you're looking for a leadership role model who is proud to be "backward-looking," Regan is not your man, but maybe George Wallace is.

Hey Magoo...

I'm joking! :D

Besides... Wallace is dead.  And he wasn't running anyway.  In fact, he wasn't even walking since 1968.
Another former CAP officer

DogCollar

[/quote]

Hey Magoo...

Besides... Wallace is dead.  And he wasn't running anyway.  In fact, he wasn't even walking since 1968.
[/quote]

1972, actually.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

isuhawkeye

hey.  let's leave Henery A. out of this

LittleIronPilot

It seems an "OK" slogan.

As for high-tech, hard to quantify, but I do not think there are too many (if any?) nuclear reactors in the Air Force? Those are definitely "high tech" so I think the Navy may have them (also if you add in THEIR "air force" it is almost what THE Air Forces is in terms of tech).

Avery

Are you being serious?  No fighting force on the planet is as high-tech as the U.S. Air Force. I'm not saying that as a cheerleader, I think 99% of objective observers would agree with my claim. 

And yet, Navy was called on to shoot down that satellite!
Avery Loucks Maj, CAP
In transistion to Washington, DC area

_

Quote from: Avery on February 21, 2008, 10:44:35 PM
And yet, Navy was called on to shoot down that satellite!
FYI. The Air Force shot down a satellite back in 1985.  The Navy is a little late to the party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: DogCollar on February 21, 2008, 02:55:46 PM

Hey Magoo...

[/quote]

1972, actually.
[/quote]

Heck... If you remember the 70's, you weren't there!

mikeylikey

So what about all those Airman that never get to fly, that never step foot in a plane?  Are they really "Above All"??
What's up monkeys?

SJFedor

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 22, 2008, 05:53:56 AM
So what about all those Airman that never get to fly, that never step foot in a plane?  Are they really "Above All"??

Of course!

AF dining facilities, for example. The one over at McGuire, or at Kirtland, all excellend facilities. Definitely "Above all"!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Smokey

Well...here is something from the Air Force Association's Magazine on line about the shootdown...

USAF Played Big Role in Satellite Shot: Air Force personnel and expertise as well as its space-monitoring assets contributed much to the US military's successful intercept of a doomed American intelligence satellite on Feb. 20, USAF's top space general said Thursday (see above). "Air Force Space Command and our space surveillance network and our space situational awareness and our ability to understand the space environment were all critical and significant players in that activity," Gen. Robert Kehler, commander of Air Force Space Command told an audience at AFA's Air Warfare Symposium in Orlando. Speaking after his presentation to reporters, Kehler elaborated, saying AFSPC's space-surveillance assets were in use for weeks prior to the shootdown mission to help plan it and will continue to monitor the remains of the satellite for weeks to come. "Maintenance of the catalog [of on-orbit objects], doing collision avoidance and then the analytical capability that we could bring from various parts of Air Force Space Command were all used here in a substantial way," he said. "Air Force ground- and space-based sensors presented to US Strategic Command were part of the sensor network and played a big role, both in tracking the target ahead of time, giving precise target location ahead of time, and then in monitoring both the launch and the impact and then the post-[shot] debris assessment."

By the way.......The pilot who shot down the satellite in 1985 with the F-15 , Maj Doug Pearson went on to become Maj Gen Doug Pearson ( a friend of mine) who until he retired a couple of years ago headed the Air Force Flight Test Center (Edwards AFB). He now works for Lockheed. And his son is an Eagle Driver at Mtn Home AFB.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

ZigZag911

For the longest time, USMC has had the only decent slogan/tag line or whatever you call it of the military services.

"Not just a job, an adventure"? could just as easily meant Peace Corps, Americorps, medical missionary service, SPCA enforcement officer, or, for that matter, "repo man"!

"Aim High"? Won't that mean you miss the target??

"Army of One"?? yeah, that's intimidating to the nation's foes -- "Knock it off, or we're going to send one rugged individualist after another to get you!"

"There's strong, then there's Army strong" sounds like an add for laundry detergent.

"Be All That You Can Be" was co-opted by the principal of a high school I taught for many years ago....a nun....she LOVED it!!  Now, I won't deny that nuns can terrify the average Catholic school kid, but they still aren't what leaps to me mind when I think "warrior ethic"!

Bottom line: however much or little the DOD and it's constituent branches have spent on advertising in the past several decades, much of it has been wasted!

JohnKachenmeister

ZZ:

You are right.

But don't forget to include "The Army Wants to Join You" in your hall of shame!

ZigZag911

Kach,

You are SO right, I'd forgotten that touchy-feely travesty!

Gunner C

In the late 1970s there was a non-authorized poster that was used by recruiters - Many of you may remember it.  It was a picture of a sergeant from the 82nd Airborne Division with an M60 machine gun. The caption was:

"U.S. paratroopers give the enemy maximum opportunity to die for their country."

Kids were eating it up!  They wanted to be just like that soldier.  Then the Recruiting Command and the Army found out about it.  They went BOZO about it.  People were relieved of duty, the poster was banned, and the warrior ethos was no longer allowed to be displayed in recruiting offices.

Jimmy Carter - if we love the bad guys enough, they'll love us back.

GC

SAR-EMT1

I hate the new slogan. Seems too particular to aviation types.

As for the video: coulda seen a 5th grader do a better job.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: BillB on February 20, 2008, 11:32:58 PM
Someone send Big Mojo and email with "CAP we're on the go."
Sounds more like a slogan for Phillips' Milk of Magnesia, maybe Pepto-Bismol... though I hear the Pepto people tried to sue McDonald's for copyright infringement on the McD slogan, "Did Somebody Say McDonald's?"

Walkman and BigMojo -- Count me in with you two, not from an ad perspective but from a writing/editing/visual editing one.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

ZigZag911

"They'll like us when we win!"

Toby Ziegler, "The West Wing"