Website
CAP Exhibit
News AD
Air Show
School
Former Member
Other

stratoflyer

There was a recruiting drive set-up at my middle school. So, like a moth to a flame, I walked over and asked some questions and got a brochure. I went to my parents, who took me over to the meetings and I signed up.

I couldn't wait to get my BDU's on.   ;D

I still have my original membership application with my father's signature in my personnel file.

My dad joined sometime later as well.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

SilverEagle2

I was rummaging through a box of my dad's stuff as a 14 year old Eagle Scout with nothing to do.

I found an old ribbon stack and shoulder boards with 2 diamonds on them and asked what they were.

He told me and I swore to wear his boards again with his diamonds and see if I could get the third.

I did eventually wear his boards and his diamonds. However, did not get the third.  :-[

Needless to say, was pretty cool.

Now I hope my sons want to wear their Grandpa's boards and try to beat us both. We'll see.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

gistek

We moved and I wasn't having any luck finding a boy scout troop for my son. A Ham radio friend took us to visit a CAP unit, and my son joined. The meeting was 45 min drive, so it wasn't worth driving home, so I joined.

After about a year, my son decided it wasn't for him, but I stayed. I love being able to help others.

The first unit I was in went from 9 to 40 members after one member convinced a local feature writer to do a news spread. We got front page of the living section plus several articles in both the main and living sections. At least one went PA. In addition to helping our unit attract members, it helped that writer in her career.

I try to mention CAP whenever reasonably possible. I overheard two teens talking about wanting to learn to fly when I was at a museum with members of my unit, so I told them about CAP Powered Flight Encampment. I've encouraged teens who think they might be interested in considering joining the military to visit a CAP unit. The local volunteer SAR group prohibits anyone under 16 from joining, and only those over 18 can actually participate on missions. So several people who want to join their organization are starting their training in CAP units.

As with any advertising, you have to target your audience, and choose the least expensive venue that will reach the most people. If your unit is participating in an event, be sure to have information available. Ask your local airport to put up posters - this is especially good at small airports where private pilots are looking for ways to get air time. Reach out to the guidance counselors at area schools. Don't forget the homeschool organizations.

And now that the internet is where most people hunt for information, keep your unit website up to date. Post captioned pictures and articles about recent events. If you have someone in your unit who has the time and writing skills, articles written following search engine optimization (SEO) guidelines can rocket your site to the top of a search.

PlaneFlyr

I was 11, and CAP was running an occasional 30-second commercial on TV.  Just a Cessna flying with some cheap Sousa march type music and a narrator talking about CAP.  I never had pen/paper handy when it came on, so I kept missing the phone number, and after about 5 failed attempts to get the number, I finally resorted to keeping the pen/paper on the end table... just waiting.  (Sadly, this was before the internet). 

Finally got it and made my mom take me to the next available meeting.  Wasn't able to join for a couple months (waiting for first day of 6th grade), but attended every meeting as a visitor until I could.

Been in for 26+ years now. 
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

citizensoldier

Grandfather worked at Boeing in Wichita during WWII.  As he was essential industry and a bit older he was not drafted.  He was CAP during the War.

CS
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009