Main Menu

***WARNING***

Started by Stonewall, August 22, 2007, 09:04:57 PM

Stonewall

I just got placed on 4 more days of "staying at home doing nothing" by my doctor followed by an MRI and bone density test, followed by "light limited duty" until we get my back fixed.  He also prescribed me some better drugs.  So if you experience my post count going up or slurred typing with irrational claims of inventing things like the question mark, please ignore me.

This is only a ***WARNING***.

I have drill this weekend where I'm sure I'll be sitting there at a computer since I can't do much of anything... Grrrr....  I AM NOT GETTING OLD!!!!!!
Serving since 1987.

ELTHunter

Starts about 35 and goes down hill from there:)
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

Stonewall

I just turned 35 last month.....  NO!  I REFUSE!!!
Serving since 1987.

addo1

Hope your back gets better..  And- HEY, I enjoy your comments!!!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

JC004

ELTHunter

I was 33 when I joined CAP.  I started running and working out and lost 40 pounds in like four months.  Now I'm 42.  I still run 2 - 3 miles every other day but on a tread mill, otherwise my knees swell up and give me trouble.  Now it would take me about a year to lose 40 pounds.  I can still keep up with the cadets on a cross country hump, and even out walk most of them  I can keep pace with my best ones on push-ups and sit-ups.  However, the recovery time is longer.  The ground is also a lot harder now then is was 9 years ago:)  The last training camp I went to back in April, I had a cadet show up without the required documentation.  Being the nice Officer that I am, and after throughly chastising them for failure to report with the required paperwork, I went home and printed it out so they could participate.  It just happened to give me an excuse to sleep in a bed.  I guess that officially made me a Senior Member:)

It's comin for you buddy and there's no stopping it.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

Stonewall

Hey, I'm healthy and in shape.  I pass my police departments physical agility test with flying colors, the AF PT test no problem and I work out at least 4 days a week, mostly cardio.  Obviously no PT in the past 2 weeks and I'm feeling it.  I'm no superman and don't care to show off my love handles, but I can definately hold my own.  In fact, after moving down to Florida from DC just over a year ago, I've lost 10 or so pounds.

I will win!
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on August 22, 2007, 09:32:37 PM
  In fact, after moving down to Florida from DC just over a year ago, I've lost 10 or so pounds.

I will win!

The heat will do that to person.  Sweat it off     ;D
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Heat mixed with wearing body armor all the time is like wearing one of those Richard Simmons elastic weight loss bands all the time. What was it called, the Belly Burner or something...
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

So, how did you screw up your back?
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Quote from: MIKE on August 22, 2007, 09:44:56 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on August 22, 2007, 09:37:10 PM
Heat mixed with... Richard Simmons elastic weight loss bands

:)
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on August 22, 2007, 09:44:56 PM

I wish I had some high speed story like I did a swan dive out of our squadron's C-172 or kicked a door in at work and got my butt handed to me by a dude on meth.  Truth is, I haven't got a clue.

X-rays revealed a compression fracture in L1, something that probably happened in a car accident or jumping years ago.  Apparently they can remain "dormant" for years then one small move can aggravate them causing sever pain and spasms.  The pain is seriously intense, like I verbally express how I feel a few times a day.  Today, doc almost had me in tears as he poked and prodded.  Thought he was having fun... 

Anyhoo, it sucks and I want to be at work, surfing, picking up my son or simply mowing the lawn.  I'm sure I'm on my wife's last nerve.  I know I'm on mine.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Kirt,

I know exactly how you feel.  About 10 years ago, I had L-2 slip.  Not sure how, it just "happened."  The only reason I noticed was because my legs would tingle after a few minutes of standing up.

Anyway, once diagnosed, I underwent a spinal fusion that fused L-1 to L-2 and L-2 to L-3 using some bone chips, a few steel rods, some screws and wire.  I was about an inch taller after that surgery.

It took about 6 months to completely recover from the surgery, I had to wear a brace and couldn't lift anything more than 5 pounds for a while.

I do still have some complications with it, like if I over exert myself, I get really bad sciatica and can't walk, but as long as I take an aleve first, I'm good to go.  My doctore recommended I use some COX-3 inhibitor to stop myself from getting ulcers from the amount of aleve I was using, but I have become more "aware" of triggers and try to avoid them as best as possible.

Get well buddy - and follow all your doctor's directions, no matter how good you feel, it could mean the difference between weeks off your feet again.

Best of Luck.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JAFO78

Hey Kirt, Where in FL are you. My family moved here in Feb. the 14th in fact. We are finally moving into a house after 6 months. I hope to be back in CAP inside of 60 days. We are in Kissimmee.

Hope you feel well soon. I was out Work comp for 130 days sucked Big Time
JAFO

Stonewall

North of you bro, in Jacksonville.

I just got off the phone with my buddy in Gainesville who asked if I could teach at the CLS at MacDill over Labor Day weekend, so if you're around, stop by down there.

Don't know anyone in Orlando but I have a friend that was in Seminole Cadet Squadron years ago and said it was a good place.
Serving since 1987.

SJFedor

I've got a few friends going to school down that way, one at JU. I'll hafta buy you a beer next time I'm down there.

Here's a story that, although I know you're in massive amounts of pain, might make you feel a bit better.

We had a dude roll into the trauma center about 6 months ago via helicopter, single person motorcycle wreck. Luckily, was wearing a helmet, but the [darn]est thing happened. His skull and C1 were about an inch apart, detatched, but the spinal cord was still intact! I wish i had a picture of the lateral x-ray, it's the freakiest thing you ever saw.

Followed up eventually, he actually survived the surgery, no paralysis, but is a bit taller and doesn't have much range of motion with his head. I believe he's still in a halo, too.

Hope you feel better, enjoy the *legal* narcotics!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

bosshawk

Stonewall: I can sympathize with you.  I had back surgery at age 32 to repair the disc at L-5.  Perfect recovery: never have looked back.  Have to watch what I try to lift, but that should be true for everyone.  Three and a half years ago, had a total knee replacement due to arthritis: partly caused by running.  Had an MRI yesterday and the other knee has to go.  I will be getting closer to being the bionic man.  Of course, I am several decades older than you.

Take the advice somebody else gave you and pay attention to what your doctor tells you.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

LtCol White

Hang in there Kirt and I hope you get better soon.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

PHall

Quote from: Stonewall on August 22, 2007, 09:09:46 PM
I just turned 35 last month.....  NO!  I REFUSE!!!

Remember Kirt, growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Dustoff

And they both beat the alternative.......................

;D

Jim
Jim