CAP members being offered military discounts: Proper response?

Started by DoubleSecret, December 06, 2014, 03:32:41 PM

Private Investigator

On most Memorial Days I am in a CAP uniform and I do not fast on Mondays.  8)

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2014, 08:43:41 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on December 09, 2014, 08:25:00 PM
For those that think it is acceptable to just take a MILITARY discount without at least telling the person that you are not military would you respond the same way if you were being accused of something bad?  Would you keep quiet and graciously accept the punishment just as you would graciously accept the benefit?

This isn't even remotely the same thing.

Why not?  In both cases you are mistaken for something that you are not.  If you would correct the person accusing you of doing something that doesn't benefit you, why wouldn't you correct the person when they are doing something that would benefit you?  I admit it is extreme but if you are willing to accept the "rewards" due to a case of mistaken identity without trying to correctly identify yourself then you should to the same when it is not to your benefit. 

Eclipse

You forget that the granting of this magic discount benefits the spirit of the
giver as much or more then the recipient.

Further, the explanation is counter productive to both parties and again assumes
the magic discount was given in error, potentially insulting the giver and possibly
making them reluctant to grant a discount to anyone next two me.

Your example overthinks the entire situation.

Just don't troll and say "Thank You." and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Are we still talking about this?

It's very simple. Just follow these basic rules:

1.  If you're not in the military, then don't ask for a military discount.

2.  If you're in CAP uniform and they ask you whether you're in the military, then say no, that you're in Civil Air Patrol. No further explanation is necessary unless they ask.

3.  If they offer you a discount anyway, then say thank you and move on.

Whatever you do, don't ask for a discount that hasn't been offered, don't lie about your military status and don't make a big deal if they give you a discount anyway. Is it really that difficult?

JeffDG

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 15, 2014, 08:35:40 PM
     3.  If they offer you a discount anyway, then say thank you and move on.

Corollary to this...leave a tip of at least as much as the discount...

SarDragon

I generally leave a tip on the full amount, regardless of the amount or percentage of the discount. I also tip on the full tab, including tax.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on December 15, 2014, 09:42:03 PM
I generally leave a tip on the full amount, regardless of the amount or percentage of the discount. I also tip on the full tab, including tax.

+1

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

SarDragon is and always has been a class act.  You, my friend, are a true gentleman and a scholar. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Chappie on December 16, 2014, 12:00:39 AM

SarDragon is and always has been a class act.  You, my friend, are a true gentleman and a scholar.

Agreed. I always end up tipping 20%. I hear 15-18% being the norm, so at least 20% (unless service is REALLY that bad, and that's rare), it ends up being 20-25% easy.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on December 16, 2014, 01:02:25 AM
OTOH, if the service is really bad, ow much do you tip?

Depends.

Is it because there's 1 server for 20 tables?

Is the kitchen taking for ever?

Is the server being a jerk?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

raivo

I always baseline at about 20%, or whatever my math-disinclined brain approximates that to. If someone's really good, I add more.

Minimum wage for servers is bad enough as it is, and they're probably getting stiffed by plenty of other people on a daily basis.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on December 16, 2014, 02:10:26 AM
Let's stick with #3 - jerk, or just plain incompetent.

Depending on the jerk-factor, I'd go 5-10%. As mentioned, the pay sucks. Maybe he's having a bad day. Maybe it's something else. I may just leave a note on the bill as well.

I found it quite interesting after spending some time (about 7 months, which at the time seemed like a lifetime, but to a 17-18 year old kid out of high school, it was) as a server at a country club, that I have a lot more understanding, appreciation, and observation when it comes to the service I get.

Now on our trips to Mexico to an "all-inclusive" resort, we'll typically tip $1/ drink and at least $2-3 for room service, $2-5 for meals, and $1-2 for general "Gracias" on the service department. Yes it's all inclusive. No those people don't make a good wage. Based on what we'd spend, I'd say easily $300+ of our "spending" cash went in single bills for tipping.

Private Investigator

I tipped my little sister $20 on a $1.95 tab when I came back from overseas. That cherry pie and coffee was really that good.

My daughters have received excellent tips too.   8)

SarDragon

Bad service - a bunch of pennies, so they know I didn't just forget.

I did tip my middle daughter a Bennie on the side one time.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 16, 2014, 12:58:34 AM
Quote from: Chappie on December 16, 2014, 12:00:39 AM

Agreed. I always end up tipping 20%. I hear 15-18% being the norm, so at least 20% (unless service is REALLY that bad, and that's rare), it ends up being 20-25% easy.

Easier math!

But the point I was trying to make with respect to tips was:  If you don't feel right accepting the discount, then simply accept it graciously and add it into the tip you leave the server.  That way the server, who extended you the courtesy, ends up receiving the benefit.  You don't need to feel guilty, as you received no benefit, and you don't need to make a big deal out of it.

RRLE

Quote from: SarDragon on December 16, 2014, 04:27:35 AM
Bad service - a bunch of pennies, so they know I didn't just forget.

Hopefully, you only apply that if the server gave you the bad service. Servers very often are, incorrectly, penalized by the customer due to long times out of the kitchen or the taste of the food. Your server has no control over the kitchen, unless they own the place. Further, most servers are required to pool their tips with the other servers and/or split them with the bus staff, maƮtre d' etc.

Eclipse

Pennies?  What is this word Pen-y?  Is that the thing that sounds like jingle-bells in Grandpa's pocket?

I can't remember the last time I had service bad enough not to tip or make a "statement" tip. Nor for that matter
carried enough cash to pay for a meal, let alone change (FSM I hate change).

Restaurants get busy, stuff happens. If the food is bad, send it back, if you're not getting enough water,
ask for more, then look at the number on the bottom and scratch-pad / round up 20% and move on.

Someday you'll need the Karma points, and even if not, the server can.  I think it's been said before that
everyone should work in food service at least once in their life to understand how the universe works.

Also, don't ignore them on your phone while you check in on Yelp, or for that matter "get even" there (so. lame.), try and
pick up the server, treat the server like your mom, be rude, expect them to laugh at your stale jokes, or read
your mind that the last time you ate at a restaurant with a similar name in a different city "medium" meant "well".
Be a human being, smile, ask important questions, order exactly what you want, and then move on with your meal.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Usually 10% was the tax rate when my wife was waitressing.  So if someone didnt leave her a tip, she actually lost money.