CAP members being offered military discounts: Proper response?

Started by DoubleSecret, December 06, 2014, 03:32:41 PM

MSG Mac

Don't go searching for a discount unless you have a military affiliation (Active, Reserve, or Retired). If given one tip at the actual cost of the meal. When I lived in Boston a restaurant I frequented as a city employee, on an occasional basis would give tell me the meal was on the house. my tip was always equal to the cost of the meal.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

Why overanalyse it?

Again, if offered, graciously accept, if not, don't ask for it.

I remember a practice mission years ago when we all went to (I think) a Shoney's restaurant to eat.  We were all aircrew and wearing green zoom bags.  The waitress gave all of us at the table (I think there were more than 10 of us) a discount.  She said her manager directed her to do so.  We thanked her and left it at that.

It's the choice of a private establishment whether they want to do so or not.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

wuzafuzz

If offered a military discount due to a CAP uniform, I ALWAYS provide a quick "I'm not in the Air Force, but I'm in Civil Air Patrol which means I'm a volunteer who helps the Air Force."  It takes mere seconds and resolves any misunderstanding.  If they want to ask further questions or provide a discount anyway, totally cool.  Say thanks and move on.

Alternative outcome:
You accept a military discount without explaining what CAP is.  A nearby veteran or active service member overhears, recognizes your CAP uniform, knows the difference, and now thinks you are a sleazy poser.  That veteran then shares his (or her) account with a few others.  1 or more people now view CAP in a negative light.  There is a bit of Chicken Little in that tale, but you know it has happened.  Why not present CAP in the best light possible?

I have visited restaurants, coffee shops, etc in a group of people sporting CAP polo uniforms.  That still grabs attention.  Staff asks if we are in a club or something and we explain we are participating in a CAP DR/SAR exercise.  Staff thinks that is cool and offers a discount.  I've experienced that more often than being offered a military discount.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Flying Pig

It gets sticky where I am now for work.  I work for an LE agency, Im not an officer (well...until Feb) but I still wear a green flight suit.  So I get discounts for being in the military, because people see the green flight suit.   I get discounts for being an "officer" because people see my name patch with the star and the wings.  For an LE agency, we are supposed to decline any discounts.  But in the south, quite honestly, I would never be able to eat on duty.  I always offer to pay full price.  But like wazafuzz stated.  If I get it offered because someone thinks Im in the military, I always clarify that Im not.  If I end up looking at the bill at the end of the meal and its discounted, I just let it go.  Nobody knows and calling the manager over, potentially getting the waiter in trouble or embarrassed for trying to do the right thing, or maybe the waiter did it without the manager knowing...   Unless they announce it publicly I say just let it go.  Even as a cop, rarely has it ever been openly obvious that I got a discount.   Except for once at an In N Out burger place in CA.... when the cashier yells to the back "Hey..... cops get 1/2 off right?" as the line was going out the door it was so busy! :clap:  Situational Awareness is your friend in most of these cases.

kwe1009

Quote from: wuzafuzz on December 08, 2014, 12:26:01 PM
If offered a military discount due to a CAP uniform, I ALWAYS provide a quick "I'm not in the Air Force, but I'm in Civil Air Patrol which means I'm a volunteer who helps the Air Force."  It takes mere seconds and resolves any misunderstanding.  If they want to ask further questions or provide a discount anyway, totally cool.  Say thanks and move on.

Alternative outcome:
You accept a military discount without explaining what CAP is.  A nearby veteran or active service member overhears, recognizes your CAP uniform, knows the difference, and now thinks you are a sleazy poser.  That veteran then shares his (or her) account with a few others.  1 or more people now view CAP in a negative light.  There is a bit of Chicken Little in that tale, but you know it has happened.  Why not present CAP in the best light possible?

I have visited restaurants, coffee shops, etc in a group of people sporting CAP polo uniforms.  That still grabs attention.  Staff asks if we are in a club or something and we explain we are participating in a CAP DR/SAR exercise.  Staff thinks that is cool and offers a discount.  I've experienced that more often than being offered a military discount.

That is exactly how it should be handled. 

Just simply accepting it because you "don't want to offend the person offering" (a common argument I hear) doesn't even make sense.  As you said, it takes a few seconds to properly identify yourself and if you are still offered the discount then GREAT!

Quote from: CyBorg on December 08, 2014, 03:48:49 AM
Why overanalyse it?

Again, if offered, graciously accept, if not, don't ask for it.

I remember a practice mission years ago when we all went to (I think) a Shoney's restaurant to eat.  We were all aircrew and wearing green zoom bags.  The waitress gave all of us at the table (I think there were more than 10 of us) a discount.  She said her manager directed her to do so.  We thanked her and left it at that.

It's the choice of a private establishment whether they want to do so or not.

You are correct that is is the choice of the establishment but if they are offering a MILITARY discount, that means people who took the Oath of Enlistment or Oath of Office in one of the military branches, not CAP.  If you tell the business that you are not military but they still extend the discount then that is a different scenario. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

I once took that oath so I am not unfamiliar with your position.

IF offered NOW I show my CAP ID card and let them decide.

That said, I rarely get offers because I tend to be fairly scrupulous about not going into commercial establishments in uniform before/after CAP activities, per regs.  Maybe a McDonalds, in and out in about 20 minutes...and I surely don't advertise what my uniform is unless asked, and I usually keep it simple if asked:

"I am an officer in the Civil Air Patrol.  We are the volunteer Auxiliary of the United States Air Force.

I have never, and never will, go into an establishment in or out of uniform and say the above along with "will you give me a military discount?"  Tacky and disrespectful as hell, reflecting badly on both CAP and the Armed Forces.

If I am in BBDU's I more often get mistaken for being a first-responder type, or Coast Guard (there is a heavy CG presence here).  I give a firm "NO" to both of those questions.

And, as I have related before (though it didn't involve a discount), I was once in a department store wearing the AF-type short sleeved kit making a brief purchase.  A young woman came up to me and asked if I was a store security guard.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

EMT-83

I find it amusing that anyone thinks the kid behind the counter gives a rat's behind if you're active duty, reserve, veteran or lowly volunteer. Or for that matter, a cop, fireman or EMT.  They see the uniform and want to do something nice, whether on their own or by following company policy.

You don't need to explain or apologize. Just say thank you and get out of the way so they can wait on the next person in line.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 09, 2014, 01:12:18 AM
I find it amusing that anyone thinks the kid behind the counter gives a rat's behind if you're active duty, reserve, veteran or lowly volunteer. Or for that matter, a cop, fireman or EMT.  They see the uniform and want to do something nice, whether on their own or by following company policy.

You don't need to explain or apologize. Just say thank you and get out of the way so they can wait on the next person in line.

Most have directives that military, public safety or EMS in uniform get discounts.  It usually just happens without much of a mention at all.  Making it an issue makes it an issue.  Take it from me... I have a 15 yr career of 1/2 off experience  >:D

MSG Mac

I met a B-K manager whose store was across the street from both a Police and a Fire stations. The Cops were always stopping in and getting free food not only for themselves, but their entire families. The firemen never asked for freebies and when offered would usually turn it down. The day his store was robbed, it took 45 minutes for the police to respond. Cops never got a free meal or discount again. Firemen couldn't pay for a meal in the store.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 09, 2014, 05:39:39 AM
I met a B-K manager whose store was across the street from both a Police and a Fire stations. The Cops were always stopping in and getting free food not only for themselves, but their entire families. The firemen never asked for freebies and when offered would usually turn it down. The day his store was robbed, it took 45 minutes for the police to respond. Cops never got a free meal or discount again. Firemen couldn't pay for a meal in the store.

Firefighters don't need B-K.  They can cook better than anyone, at any restaurant, anytime, anywhere.

I grew up next to a fire station and know from experience.

It was a disadvantaged (to put it mildly) area and the firefighters often fed the neighbourhood kids who wouldn't have eaten regularly otherwise.

Whether it was chilli, grilling steaks, grilling fish, whatever...I could always tell spring had arrived by the toothsome smells wafting in from next door.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JC004

I've seen various places that do a public service discount (police, fire, SAR, etc.) that aren't restricted to military. 

Obviously CAP members shouldn't go seeking discounts meant only for active duty military if they aren't also that, but one thing I've done in the past was get local discounts for CAP members. 

I think squadrons should try that, if they can.  If you have a local sporting goods shop, public safety uniform/equipment shop, surplus store, disaster prep place (or other relevant retailer), give them a call and ask if they'd be willing to offer either a regular discount to your members, or do special discount periods (I've seen stores take a week or 2 and offer a discount or coupon for members doing that time period, or offer a kick-back on purchases as a fundraiser).   At least one public safety uniform/equipment place I know of offers discounts to a couple groups because they're volunteers (I'm sure other places would do this if asked). 

Maybe you can get a local hobby shop to offer a discount for cadets who want to buy model rockets or airplanes, or the local public safety supplier will give discounts on Blueberry Suits and equipment - there's lots of possibilities.

I've arranged discounts with local companies for various non-profits' volunteers, and generally, they've been happy to do it, appreciate the business, and consider it a cheap way to advertise their offerings.  I've had some of them offer special coupons to volunteers a couple times a year.

All we had to do was ask, and let them know the value of the volunteers in their communities.

Some of these businesses have also put up products, services, or gift certificates to run free raffles at volunteer recruiting or public information displays at community events (get some attention and bring more people to your display/table/booth).  Get an outdoors shop to put up a $25 gift certificate, run a free raffle, and get some attention for your display.

kwe1009

For those that think it is acceptable to just take a MILITARY discount without at least telling the person that you are not military would you respond the same way if you were being accused of something bad?  Would you keep quiet and graciously accept the punishment just as you would graciously accept the benefit?

Again, I see nothing wrong with a CAP member receiving a military discount if they at least first explain who they really are and if the business still offers the discount then great.

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on December 09, 2014, 08:25:00 PM
For those that think it is acceptable to just take a MILITARY discount without at least telling the person that you are not military would you respond the same way if you were being accused of something bad?  Would you keep quiet and graciously accept the punishment just as you would graciously accept the benefit?

This isn't even remotely the same thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2014, 08:43:41 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on December 09, 2014, 08:25:00 PM

This isn't even remotely the same thing.

Wow, I agree, that came in from left field.  :o

raivo

This one time, I saw a CAP LtCol in blues at a restaurant where I was TDY, on a military appreciation night around Veterans' Day.

The "are you serious?" meme hadn't been invented yet, but I suspect it was a pretty good approximation of my expression.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

lordmonar

Quote from: raivo on December 11, 2014, 05:20:58 AM
This one time, I saw a CAP LtCol in blues at a restaurant where I was TDY, on a military appreciation night around Veterans' Day.

The "are you serious?" meme hadn't been invented yet, but I suspect it was a pretty good approximation of my expression.
So...the initial response is...."this guy is just milking CAP for a free meal".   Not maybe.....he's on his way home from a CAP thing and stopped off for dinner.    Any idea if he asked for or got a discount just for being a CAP member?

This sort of thing works both ways.  Let's not perpetuate the myth of Salute Trolls and Benefit Trolls just because you saw a guy in CAP uniform.

BTW I was in my CAP uniform last Veterans Day.   I was at a Veterans Event and then I went out to dinner at a place that was giving discounts.....so it could have been me you saw.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

To me just handing the establishment owner/manager my CAP Identification Card is information enough.  It says who I am and what CAP is.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

raivo

Unlikely, this was in 2009.

I won't say it wasn't a coincidence, but... it was odd timing.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

lordmonar

Quote from: raivo on December 11, 2014, 05:56:20 AM
Unlikely, this was in 2009.

I won't say it wasn't a coincidence, but... it was odd timing.
It could have been me in 2009.   Again....a CAP member wearing a uniform on Veteran's Day.....what are the odds of that happening.    Like I said....lots of legitimate reasons for that to happen without jumping straight to "oh he's just trying to get a free meal".

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP