New national Vice Commander and Chief of Staff

Started by Garibaldi, June 24, 2014, 01:54:56 AM

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 01:26:07 AM
What's he done?
Ran the Region and IIRC no major F-ups, wings getting excellent on their evals, no major scandals, no politicians getting mad at us.    You know......his job.

Why....what is he supposed to do?  Sure there is what YOU want him to do.   But really......you are just a Debbie Downer about everything.

Gee.....we did not hire "that guy who's got the chopps to really "fix" CAP".   

A)   Not everyone......and by this I mean the BoG sees that CAP needs to be fixed all that much.   Sure here on CAPTALK we seem to be all doom and gloom.   But you have not really defined the problem....nor have you shown that we are "desperate" need to fix said problem.

B)  Even if the BoG sees the problem you have yet to define......their answer to it may be a little different.

As much as I like to argue about how we can "fix" CAP.......I am also perfectly happy with leaving it alone as well and I don't see any reason that we "MUST" "Fix" anything.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 01:26:57 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 28, 2014, 01:24:03 AM
GTM uniforms were imposed on PCR by the NB

Why would the NB care?

Cite please.

So something in the past, instituted or at least tolerated by the people we're discussing aren't relevent anymore?
Because that was imposed on the region by the NB....I can't remember when....but just a few years ago.  I bet you can find reference to it here on CT with the search engine.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 01:30:09 AM
Quote from: Chappie on June 28, 2014, 01:22:37 AM
Hmmmm --- difference at unit level and for rank and file???  Try taking command of a wing the size of California which was placed on a freeze until all of the assets were accounted for in the 50+ squadrons???  How about evaluated SARXs and Compliance Inspections that were marginal and satisfactory becoming Excellent and Outstanding?  Know about motivating membership participation that receives national recognition on a consistent basis at National Conferences?  How about providing a top notch Professional Development program for Seniors and Cadets???  That is the difference between what you and I see as leadership.  You see uniform issues and I see how his leadership impacted the membership.

Do you have any idea how many wings that list applies to?

You go back to the early 2000's and 1/2 the organization was on freeze, the other stuff is just part and parcel of keeping the doors open.  BTDT, all of it.
When were you a Wing Commander?   I'm sorry I seem to have missed that in your CV.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 28, 2014, 01:38:41 AM
You go back to the early 2000's and 1/2 the organization was on freeze, the other stuff is just part and parcel of keeping the doors open.  BTDT, all of it.
When were you a Wing Commander?   I'm sorry I seem to have missed that in your CV.

Relevance?

Is this information only available to the Skull and Bones?
Do you think fixing all those issues are not actually done by other people?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 28, 2014, 01:35:13 AM
Ran the Region and IIRC no major F-ups, wings getting excellent on their evals, no major scandals, no politicians getting mad at us.    You know......his job.

And that's fair enough, which is...

What.
I.
Said.

"more of the same"  "safe choices"

And you're right, I want CAP "fixed", or at least working like the pamphlets say it should, for everyone.
Safe choices will only perpetuate the current trend.

I also said I would prefer to be surprised.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 01:41:05 AM

Relevance?

Is this information only available to the Skull and Bones?
Do you think fixing all those issues are not actually done by other people?
You stick the words "led and directed" in front of it then.

Sure the work was done by other people.    Eisenhower did not win WWII.....other people did that.    The encampment director did not put on the encampment....other people did that.

Yep....no need for leaders at all....other people with just "do that" and we will have a happy successful program.

As for Relevance....you just said "BTDT".....I was wondering when you ever ran a wing and how you turned it back from going down in flames.

RNOfficer

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 24, 2014, 01:54:56 AM
Just got the email about the new appointment. COL Larry Myrick of PCR is the new Vice Commander, and COL Larry Ragland of MER is the new Chief of Staff.

Col Larry Myrick as Vice CC. What a disaster. A man without scruples or ability. A classic organization man who does nothing.

SunDog

I don't have a dog in the fight, and won't even be a player come Fall. . .and usually find Eclipse on the opposite side of the street. . .but. . .

Some of you guys think the new man is pretty, and done good work. . .but he's just another name to most of us.  Has he master-minded and driven transformational change?  You say he's done good on some inspections and evals designed and valued by the same culture that's overseeing CAP's descent into irrelevance? That  don't mean squat, does it?

Give him a chance? Not up to us - he already has the job. You mean wait a while before doubting him on this forum? Why? If he's all that, words in a row here won't matter.  If he's bought into the status-quo, he's just a diffrent face on the same show.

Eclipse

Don't tell Cyborg that (then) Col Myrick was responsible for seconding the motion to eliminate the CSU...

...sssshhhhhh...

"That Others May Zoom"

SunDog

Quote from: lordmonar on June 28, 2014, 01:35:13 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 01:26:07 AM
What's he done?

But you have not really defined the problem....nor have .....I am also perfectly happy with leaving it alone as well and I don't see any reason that we "MUST" "Fix" anything.

I'm not all seeing, but will take a crack at defining a couple. . .

Something like half of senior members are 'ghosts" - not a sustainable situation for a membership organization.

The bureacratic hassles are so bad we can't give away free flying time. Or keep pilots. It's the Civil Air Patrol, not the Civil do gobs of useless administrivia Patrol.

NHQ can't indentify, embrace, and sell a set of capabilities to potential customers. We ain't gonna sustain ourselves hauling obsolete sensor packages and acting as air defense practice targets.

Wing fiefdoms. Non-GOB's can play. Some. Not too much, though.

PHall

Quote from: RNOfficer on June 28, 2014, 02:26:15 AM
Just got the email about the new appointment. COL Larry Myrick of PCR is the new Vice Commander, and COL Larry Ragland of MER is the new Chief of Staff.

Col Larry Myrick as Vice CC. What a disaster. A man without scruples or ability. A classic organization man who does nothing.

Funny, the folks who have actually served under the man seem to think differently.
Care to enlighten us?

SarDragon

Somehow, I think there's a sarcasm tag missing there. I certainly hope so.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Was thinking that was a little "direct" myself...

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: lordmonar on June 28, 2014, 01:37:20 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 01:26:57 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 28, 2014, 01:24:03 AM
GTM uniforms were imposed on PCR by the NB

Why would the NB care?

Cite please.

So something in the past, instituted or at least tolerated by the people we're discussing aren't relevent anymore?
Because that was imposed on the region by the NB....I can't remember when....but just a few years ago.  I bet you can find reference to it here on CT with the search engine.

Not quite. CAWG was in jepordy of losing it's ground SAR capability unless it's uniform complied with state mandates. The CAWG/CC made the motion to approve the uniform and the NB approved it.  End of Story.

FW

Quote from: PHall on June 28, 2014, 04:24:09 AM
Quote from: RNOfficer on June 28, 2014, 02:26:15 AM

Funny, the folks who have actually served under the man seem to think differently.
Care to enlighten us?

Can we play a little nicer? Our next National Commander made the decision to appoint his Vice Commander.  The BoG approved the decision.  CASE CLOSED.  The kind of arguments presented on this thread have, in the past, caused major turmoil in CAP.  IMHO, I think we should begin preparing for the future, and doing what we are asked in getting CAP to its stated goals.  Otherwise, please step to the rear of the bus...

SunDog

If comments on an unofficial forum caused major turmoil, something else is very broken. Ouside the one post, which was harsh, it sounded like some cheerleaders debating with some weary cynics.

Hey, if the guy is superman, good for CAP; if he's just another status quo insider, bad for CAP.  Either way, who cares if the CC appointed him and the BoG approved? They appoint and approve bad actors and poor leaders with regularity.  We pay to play, this isn't USAF, and we aren't following these folks into combat. No reason to not debate the competency or leadership of these folks.

I hope his cheerleaders are right, too. . .

FW

Debating a member's character on a public forum, IMHO, doesn't do anything positive for us, however I do understand what you are saying. I'm just tired of hearing the "same old same old ". It's been going on in CAP for ever, or for at least the last 30 years. It has lead, in some part, to our present governance, diminished the authority of our region and wing commanders, and may be causing a decline in mission effectiveness. Then again, it is nice to see almost 400 members enjoying PAWGs summer cadet training schools at FIG. Maybe it really doesn't matter. Just sayn'.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: FW on June 28, 2014, 12:36:22 PM
The kind of arguments presented on this thread have, in the past, caused major turmoil in CAP.

What kind of "major turmoil?"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jeders

Quote from: SarDragon on June 28, 2014, 04:30:26 AM
Somehow, I think there's a sarcasm tag missing there. I certainly hope so.

I doubt it.

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 04:31:17 AM
Was thinking that was a little "direct" myself...

Considering the disrespect shown by the poster in the past, I'm not surprised. Oh well, I guess I'll just ignore it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 02:51:45 AM
Don't tell Cyborg that (then) Col Myrick was responsible for seconding the motion to eliminate the CSU...

...sssshhhhhh...

Rather irrelevant so long after the fact...though I would like to know his reasons.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011