Main Menu

My dilemma...

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, June 03, 2014, 08:30:36 PM

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on June 09, 2014, 06:17:45 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on June 09, 2014, 04:31:04 PM
Picking a nit, it's not the responsibility of the commander to show that the member is not "performing in an exemplary manner", as proving a negative is logically impossible.  In my opinion, the burden is on the member to establish that they are performing in such a manner.
Just tell me what you want and expect from me.  It isn't rocket science.  "Exemplary" to one CC may mean "at least s/he keeps her nose clean" to another.

You've said multiple times that you're not the type to "toot your own horn", however, it's your responsibility to establish to you commander, your group commander (if applicable) and the Wing Commander that you are performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to Major.  Period.  If you don't want to toot your own horn, that's your call, but you cannot suck and blow at the same time.

lordmonar

When I was active duty....I had to have this conversation with a number of subordinates.

Bottom line....it is YOUR promotion......if you want it, you got to work for it and you got to make sure your paper work is in order, your boxes are all checked off and any hoops are properly jumped through.

Having said that....a really good supervisor would make sure you get all the help you need to make this happen.  But the responsibility lies at your feet.

Having said that.....you should get some feed back from the board or commander who has denied your promotion....so you can find ways to improve.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

I did renew, for better or worse.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Simplex

Congratulations, I wish you well.

Alaric

Shuman 14

Quote from: CyBorg on June 10, 2014, 05:09:14 PM

Excellent!

Fight the good fight and keep the faith!
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: CyBorg on June 10, 2014, 05:09:14 PM

Good, I'm pleased you did!

Like the man (shuman14) said, keep the faith!

Майор Хаткевич

mynetdude

I know this thread is a little old and the OP has decided to renew; kudos to the OP

I don't want to hijack his thread but I feel I somehow relate and understand his experiences (I wouldn't go as far as to walk a mile in his shoes though); your personality gets hardwired as you are born and grow up as a child, but some things just don't change just because of who you are.  For example all my life I've been picked on, bullied (hey that trend still seems to be happening since I got out of school, I thought adults had better respect than kids did and sadly not always).  Kids need to be able to do their thing without incursions that aren't normal (aka bullying).

I think the OP IMO has been trying to say he has made valiant efforts and is worthy of a promotion despite what the promotion board has decided, sure he has had breaks in service, he has a number of disabilities, things change but none of this should affect his ability to promote unless he doesn't meet TIG requirements (Time In Grade); I have made at least 2 or 3 threads not quite like this but some will know what I'm talking about when I got held up for Captain.  I wasn't even planning on becoming Captain, I was HAPPY being a 1st Lt I didn't want to go through all the trouble (all i needed was OBC and a recommendation to the wing CC) I've spent at least 4 1/2 years as a 1st Lt when I was clearly eligible for Captain (and I had a break in service, but because it was LESS THAN 2 years; NHQ basically told me all I needed to do was back pay for the previous year and pay for the next year and no break in service would EVER show on my record for that lapse and so I did so).

I have had three commanders (current and former) who were active at my squadron ALL of them encouraged me to get Captain before one of the 3 commanders deployed to active duty again; the presiding commander didn't feel I deserved a promotion for various reasons to include insubordination but everyone who encouraged me refuted those claims; the wing CC decided that at that point it didn't matter and the Captain grade was only reserved for those who were in leadership or command roles (although that's not what the regulation says).

I have resorted to going introvert because of all the backlash and nonsense; I've learned that the quieter I stay the better the situation gets (even before my promotion) when I come back..  IF I get to come back (those in authority haven't decided yet) I am going to be asking for any kind of work that has nothing to do with working with people directly because this is getting old very fast and soon I won't care if I don't renew because I won't and I'll NEVER EVER come back if that happens.

Just because someone says that someone shouldn't be promoted or doesn't deserve it doesn't mean its true, just based on this thread alone (I haven't gone looking for all the OP's threads) I have to assume and if I were decision making; I'd agree to promote him to Maj assuming he meets all the PD requirements and that he has behaved satisfactorily and has performed duties in a satisfactory manner to reach Major I'd see no problem at all! And even if the OP has proof that he meets all those requirements that still does not guarantee promotion and that is why there is the chain of command echelons and the IG for situations like this JUST based on reading this thread I'd wonder if there's a hint of discrimination against the OP which is clearly a violation of CAP regulations and the Equal Opportunity policy.

I know one thing, I expected to be promoted to Captain WHEN I completed my requirements AFTER all the ENCOURAGEMENT from fellow members and friends whom are in CAP, and I WILL be promoted to Captain (not immediately, I expect a promotion in 6-8 months possibly) if the new commander isn't remotely even interested considering the possibility I will walk into thin air and disappear; I am not going to let my hard work be swept under the rug; will I ever promote to Major? I hope so, but maybe when I get closer to retirement from CAP if/when that happens.

I have some dreams and aspirations, some of them are not realistic but I CAN attune those dreams and aspirations to what IS realistic and I hope the OP does the same. If people don't want to see past your face value then its obviously not worth your time; which is what I'm going to find out tonight they're going to take it or leave it but its going to leave their IT department to major suffering.

Good luck and I hope you excel in everything you do :)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Well, thank you for your kind words.

However, I have reached a level of acceptance (and "acceptance" does not mean "approval") on the matter.

I believe that CAP culture, along with American culture in general, tends to favour extraverts, and no matter how hard I try, I am just never going to be one.

My CC is very much an extravert and is just unable/unwilling (delete where applicable) to relate to someone who is not.

I was bullied a lot as a kid.  One reason I got involved in CAP was to help provide what I did not have - a bully-free environment for young people.

As I said I have reached a level of acceptance regarding promotion.  I know that as long as I am a member of this unit with this commander, who sees things with no shades of grey (and, despite what others on here have said, the "exemplary manner" clause is wide-open to interpretation), I will never meet his standards to be promoted beyond Captain.

However, his term of office is not infinite, nor is it a given that I will always be in this unit, nor is it a given that I will stay in CAP beyond my current term of membership.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011