Main Menu

Hello and a question...

Started by Fortunateson, May 28, 2014, 01:40:35 AM

Chappie

Quote from: Fortunateson on May 28, 2014, 03:45:51 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on May 28, 2014, 03:20:17 AM
Quote from: Fortunateson on May 28, 2014, 02:54:52 AM
there are 40 guest users looking at the forums right now...

Guest users can be people that have usernames but simply do not login.  I usually frequent the forums without logging into it.

Good point LSThiker, Thanks...

I will look at CapTalk as a guest and preview the postings.  If there is something I want to contribute my .002 then I will login -- but content at times just to be an "innocent bystander"  ;)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chappie

Quote from: DoubleSecret on May 28, 2014, 01:02:24 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on May 28, 2014, 05:06:20 AM
Quote from: Panache on May 28, 2014, 03:47:55 AM
Quote from: Fortunateson on May 28, 2014, 01:40:35 AM
Why are there so many references to "Fat and Fuzzies"  throughout the forums?  I know what it represents, but to me, sounds a little disrespectful. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Nah, you're pretty much spot-on.

Unfortunately so.

There is an unspoken division based on who can wear the USAF uniform and who cannot.  Those who cannot are generally out of height/weight/grooming standards, meaning they have to wear the alternative "corporate" uniform, which has no connection to the USAF.

I try to never use the term "fat and fuzzies."  I have used it in the past but I try hard not to use it now because it seems to me to be too pejorative.

I refuse to do it.  I also refuse to wear blues until I'm fully compliant.  I've seen plenty of senior members who are visibly overweight and who stuff themselves into blues with impunity.  One day a button's going to come flying off and put an eye out.   But they're connected with the Powers That Be, so there's nothing to be gained from tilting at that particular windmill.  "Excuse me, Colonel, I couldn't help noticing that service dress jacket.  Where did you get a size 62-R?"

I see a safety briefing in the works  ;D

Eclipse

Quote from: DoubleSecret on May 28, 2014, 01:02:24 PMWhere did you get a size 62-R?"

Heh - yes, there seems to be a perception that as long as you can find a jacket that "fits", or can get 2-3 sewn together then it's "OK". 

As to the "fat and fuzzies" comment, I wouldn't get to worked up about it, I don't think I've ever heard that in any context but here,
and I don't think most people here use it in a specifically derogatory way.

In comment to the "guests", there's a lot of people who have been banned or suspended that still lurk as well.

I think you will find that the average member at the average squadron gives a lot of the issues we beat to death here
little thought, nor do they impact day-to-day involvement very much.  That doesn't make them unimportant or necessarily
trivial, but a lot of what is debated here is strategic macro-scale stuff that doesn't even get filtered to the unit level,
or regulatory minutia that needs to get fixed, but only comes up at the unit level when there's a conflict of interpretation.

If you participate on an extra-unit scale, you'll see the issues we beat up here coming up a lot more then the average
unit-only participant.

Thousands of our members, both cadet and senior, have never interacted with the military or other outside agencies in
an official capacity, never been on a real mission, let alone been deployed out of state, never been to an encampment or
NCSA, served in anything but a unit level position, and far too many join and quit never seeing a CAP plane in person.
That's sad and frankly should be considered unacceptable, but it's the reality of CAP today, remove the above from a person's
involvement, and day-to-day unit ops are pretty straightforward. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Why are there so many references to "Fat and Fuzzies"  throughout the forums?  I know what it represents, but to me, sounds a little disrespectful. 

Unfortunately so.

There is an unspoken division based on who can wear the USAF uniform and who cannot.  Those who cannot are generally out of height/weight/grooming standards, meaning they have to wear the alternative "corporate" uniform, which has no connection to the USAF.

I try to never use the term "fat and fuzzies."  I have used it in the past but I try hard not to use it now because it seems to me to be too pejorative.

I refuse to do it.  I also refuse to wear blues until I'm fully compliant.  I've seen plenty of senior members who are visibly overweight and who stuff themselves into blues with impunity.  One day a button's going to come flying off and put an eye out.  But they're connected with the Powers That Be, so there's nothing to be gained from tilting at that particular windmill.  "Excuse me, Colonel, I couldn't help noticing that service dress jacket.  Where did you get a size 62-R?"

They don't have to be "Higher up". Just people who don't want to have "hard" talks in command, or them feeling that the person in question will get their feelings hurt and leave.

Eclipse

"Don't want them to leave..."

What value is there in someone who willfully disobeys CAP's most basic expectations?

There's the door...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on May 28, 2014, 04:47:46 PM

What value is there in someone who willfully disobeys CAP's most basic expectations?

There's the door...

We both know that's not the reality on the ground.

"Well, Captain Bagodonuts is an MP, and we're behind wing quotas, but he'll leave if we don't let him wear the flight suit and service dress, because it MATTERS TO HIM. It's no big deal really, I'd rather keep the guy flying".

"Major Diettekohk may seem round, but he's our AE officer, and no one else wants the job, so I think we'll just let it slide. Maybe I'll mention it...maybe not."

"Lt Formrercadet is a bit on the heavy side, but no one else wanted the Deputy Commander of Cadets job, and he at least had some experience when he was a cadet in 1968, so we'll just ignore the fact that he's sixty pounds too large for that XXL Size BDU blouse."

In the mean time, there's probably someone else, in that unit, that group, wing, joint activity, etc, who does just as much hard work, but follows the simple uniform rules. It may be slowly chipping away at them, but hey, at least those three outstanding gentlemen get to feel special. Guess we don't cover "Teamwork" much in this organization. Forget the core values, most SMs probably don't even know how many we have.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 28, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 28, 2014, 04:47:46 PM

There's the door...

We both know that's not the reality on the ground.

"Well, Captain Bagodonuts is an MP, and we're behind wing quotas, but he'll leave if we don't let him wear the flight suit and service dress, because it MATTERS TO HIM. It's no big deal really, I'd rather keep the guy flying".

"Major Diettekohk may seem round, but he's our AE officer, and no one else wants the job, so I think we'll just let it slide. Maybe I'll mention it...maybe not."

"Lt Formrercadet is a bit on the heavy side, but no one else wanted the Deputy Commander of Cadets job, and he at least had some experience when he was a cadet in 1968, so we'll just ignore the fact that he's sixty pounds too large for that XXL Size BDU blouse."

In the mean time, there's probably someone else, in that unit, that group, wing, joint activity, etc, who does just as much hard work, but follows the simple uniform rules. It may be slowly chipping away at them, but hey, at least those three outstanding gentlemen get to feel special. Guess we don't cover "Teamwork" much in this organization. Forget the core values, most SMs probably don't even know how many we have.

Agreed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Unfortunately so.

I refuse to do it.  I also refuse to wear blues until I'm fully compliant.  I've seen plenty of senior members who are visibly overweight and who stuff themselves into blues with impunity.  One day a button's going to come flying off and put an eye out.  But they're connected with the Powers That Be, so there's nothing to be gained from tilting at that particular windmill.  "Excuse me, Colonel, I couldn't help noticing that service dress jacket.  Where did you get a size 62-R?"

HA! Reminds me of that line from Smokey and the Bandit:

Bandit: "I love your suits. It must be a b***h to find a 68 extra fat. And a 12 dwarf."
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 28, 2014, 05:21:21 PM

Unfortunately so.

HA! Reminds me of that line from Smokey and the Bandit:

Bandit: "I love your suits. It must be a b***h to find a 68 extra fat. And a 12 dwarf."

^^^HY-larious....glad I'm not the only one that thought that....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on May 28, 2014, 04:32:16 PM
Heh - yes, there seems to be a perception that as long as you can find a jacket that "fits", or can get 2-3 sewn together then it's "OK". 

I wonder, then, why those sizes are manufactured.

I have seen them in MCSS.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Garibaldi

And on this note...

Everyone knows that I am pretty passionate about how the uniform looks. I am a self-professed uniform naz...er, nut case. I had to learn as a cadet to sew on my own patches because, quite frankly, my mother did her best but did it all wrong, and my step mother refused. So, I had to learn.

So, fast forward about 30 years, and while I have no problem whatsoever telling the cadet staff to correct the myriad uniform problems I see (yes, I pass them down through the chain), I have an issue telling an adult that there is too much blue showing on the grade insignia, or the patch is on the wrong pocket, or, yes, even the wrong shirt with the wrong pants. I have actually told a few seniors that their uniforms are incorrect, and have been met with either a blank stare, defiance, "Yeah, I know, but I haven't had a chance to correct it", or "It's a g-d **** volunteer organization, what the f*** difference does it make?"

I find that uniform regulations are extremely difficult to enforce in adults in a volunteer organization. If they don't like being told HOW to wear the uniform, WHERE they can and cannot wear it, and which ones they can or can't wear depending on their situation or H/W and grooming, then as I have said on numerous occasions, they have a few options:

1. Fix their H/W (if they can) and grooming, suck it up and follow the regs, or
2. Wear the uniform combo they are authorized to wear, or
3. Find another organization that doesn't have these "namby-pamby" rules about uniforms.

It is that simple. I'd hate to think that there are people who would leave because of something as pedantic as not wanting to follow the rules, but as someone mentioned previously, we do have rules just like any other organization. Failure to follow them HAS to have some sort of consequences, right? I'm not talking about folks who have a valid medical reason for not being able to do so.

But is the answer chasing valued people away because they can't or won't follow 39-1, or allowing them to fade away? "Compliance with this directive is MANDATORY" doesn't carry enough weight if there isn't some form of discipline carried out for non-compliance. The unit CC can install as many scales as he or she wants, but if the member isn't stepping on them, then how do you enforce it?

How do you enforce it?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Devil Doc

Awesome!! Another Former Navy Sailor!!

Think of CAPTalk as the ScuttleButt, it is where everything is said in a lax environment that may/ or may not be true. I take everything on here with a grain of salt now. You will learn a few things about CAPTalk:

1. Uniforms
2. Policies
3. Uniforms
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Chappie

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 28, 2014, 06:00:12 PM
<snip>
How do you enforce it?

During my tenure as a Region Chaplain...as the Director of the Chaplain Corps Region Staff College, a Protocol Officer was appointed for the event.  Weeks prior the Uniform Manual was sent in addition to the Participants Handbook.   Those attending were notified weeks in advance of what uniforms were to be worn during the event.   Not only were they notified, but also advised that the first morning of the event an inspection would be conducted.   The Protocol Officer presented a briefing (which included uniform wear) the evening before the first full day of classes and would be the inspecting officer.  If they did not meet the standards for wearing the USAF-Style uniform/service dress, they would need to return to their room and change into the gray-whites/blazer combo (polo/grays were not approved for the CCRSC).  It was either "fish or cut bait".   The publications made it clear that even if they wore the uniform at the squadron meetings -- and were not meeting the regs on h/w or grooming -- that would not be a "nod, nod, wink, wink" at CCRSC.  The inspection process worked well for us.   And there is also the adhering to Core Values "look test" -- "Do I look professional in my appearance?"  That involves personal accountability.     On a side note, I wore both the USAF-Style and gray-whites throughout the event.   

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 28, 2014, 06:00:12 PMThe unit CC can install as many scales as he or she wants, but if the member isn't stepping on them, then how do you enforce it?

How do you enforce it?

You simply "do".

The choice is "step on the scale or get a different uniform".  If they don't comply, you start
with verbal reminders, move to Letters Of Reprimand, and eventually termination is on the table.

Odds are anyone ignoring an LOR will quit or move somewhere else long before a 2B is necessary, but
as long as the CC is being fair, consistent, and following the regs, it's not really that hard.

The same goes for the "too much blue".  Everyone makes mistakes, and to those not ensconced in the
regs, yes, they can be a little confusing, but there's a difference between "not knowing" and
"refusing to adjust".  The former is correctable, the latter is unacceptable.

The lack of intestinal fortitude in this regard is one of the reasons why members lose respect for their
leaders.  It's supposed to be "do as I say >and< do" not " do as I say, not as I do".

"That Others May Zoom"

Fortunateson

Again, I appreciate the comments, however, I didn't post this as an extension of the uniform thread, which seems to be the direction this has taken.  I understand that there are regs for proper wear of the service dress, and I agree that those regs should be followed.   I guess to be right to the point, as innocent as it may seem to some, I just think it's a little harsh to refer to folks willing to put in their time and effort to an organization, regardless of their physical appearance shouldn't be refereed to by a term that seems derogatory...

Just my opinion...

jeders

Quote from: Fortunateson on May 28, 2014, 06:49:32 PM
Again, I appreciate the comments, however, I didn't post this as an extension of the uniform thread, which seems to be the direction this has taken.

CAPTalk rule #16 All non-uniform related threads will eventually turn into a uniform thread.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Chappie

If you do a simple search of the terms you are concerned about in this forum...you will find that the context is never in a derogatory/demeaning manner...simply a way to describe ourselves/members of CAP who cannot wear the uniform due to the h/w requirement or by the choice to wear a beard. 

Chappie

Quote from: jeders on May 28, 2014, 07:01:44 PM
Again, I appreciate the comments, however, I didn't post this as an extension of the uniform thread, which seems to be the direction this has taken.

CAPTalk rule #16 All non-uniform related threads will eventually turn into a uniform thread.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

THRAWN

Quote from: Chappie on May 28, 2014, 06:25:24 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on May 28, 2014, 06:00:12 PM
<snip>
How do you enforce it?

During my tenure as a Region Chaplain...as the Director of the Chaplain Corps Region Staff College, a Protocol Officer was appointed for the event.  Weeks prior the Uniform Manual was sent in addition to the Participants Handbook.   Those attending were notified weeks in advance of what uniforms were to be worn during the event.   Not only were they notified, but also advised that the first morning of the event an inspection would be conducted.   The Protocol Officer presented a briefing (which included uniform wear) the evening before the first full day of classes and would be the inspecting officer.  If they did not meet the standards for wearing the USAF-Style uniform/service dress, they would need to return to their room and change into the gray-whites/blazer combo (polo/grays were not approved for the CCRSC).  It was either "fish or cut bait".   The publications made it clear that even if they wore the uniform at the squadron meetings -- and were not meeting the regs on h/w or grooming -- that would not be a "nod, nod, wink, wink" at CCRSC.  The inspection process worked well for us.   And there is also the adhering to Core Values "look test" -- "Do I look professional in my appearance?"  That involves personal accountability.     On a side note, I wore both the USAF-Style and gray-whites throughout the event.

What was the percentage of those who needed to change uniforms, if any? Hopefully, chaplains would be a little easier to herd than the average group of cats, in this regard. With one notable exception that I think we've beaten up quite well here, chaplains tend to be a little more forward leaning with respect to their uniforms. They are, for the most part, more used to presenting themselves in a professional manner.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Again, I appreciate the comments, however, I didn't post this as an extension of the uniform thread, which seems to be the direction this has taken.  I understand that there are regs for proper wear of the service dress, and I agree that those regs should be followed.   I guess to be right to the point, as innocent as it may seem to some, I just think it's a little harsh to refer to folks willing to put in their time and effort to an organization, regardless of their physical appearance shouldn't be refereed to by a term that seems derogatory...

Just my opinion...

Again, not to be harsh, but you're missing the point. The ONLY time this term comes up is during uniform issues. Which is...of course where this topic went after you started it. As to the term itself, how would you describe it? "Larger and Hairier"? "Big boned and awesome-bearded"? No matter how you spin it, unless the person wears it by choice, the REASON for their wear is due to not meeting H/W standards, or refusing/being unable/unwilling to shave to be within standards or maintain a relatively short haircut, with regular fixers.

"Fat and Fuzzies" makes that whole sentence easier to say, while avoiding the PC/Long winded BS.

-From a Fat but only occasionally fuzzy.