College credit for FEMA independent study courses

Started by cap235629, November 02, 2013, 11:43:41 PM

Майор Хаткевич

I can see a foreign language as being more important than a class on religion or Shakespeare. Had to take all three tho

Storm Chaser

I'm fine with colleges and universities that give you credit for courses taken elsewhere. But I'm a bit skeptical about institutions that are willing to give you a degree (for a price) without having to take a single course through that institution. If you graduate from the "University of X", but never actually take courses there, did you really graduated from the "University of X"?

Accreditation is not the only factor to consider when selecting a college or university, as not all of them are "created equal". Having a degree is not enough; you want to make sure your degree means something. And part of that will depend on the institution itself.

In addition, I've taken many FEMA courses as well and never felt that those courses were college level education. The fact that a college is willing to take your money to convert them into college credits raises a flag, in my opinion.

cap235629

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 05, 2013, 03:27:03 PM
I'm fine with colleges and universities that give you credit for courses taken elsewhere. But I'm a bit skeptical about institutions that are willing to give you a degree (for a price) without having to take a single course through that institution. If you graduate from the "University of X", but never actually take courses there, did you really graduated from the "University of X"?

Accreditation is not the only factor to consider when selecting a college or university, as not all of them are "created equal". Having a degree is not enough; you want to make sure your degree means something. And part of that will depend on the institution itself.

In addition, I've taken many FEMA courses as well and never felt that those courses were college level education. The fact that a college is willing to take your money to convert them into college credits raises a flag, in my opinion.

This college is a State Institution contracted BY FEMA to provide a path to a degree.  It is accredited by the same governing body as Georgetown and the University of Maryland.  It is not a fly by night diploma mill.

I find the elitist snobbery exhibited by some very troubling.  An accredited degree is an accredited degree, opinions notwithstanding.  Next you will say a community college degree is not valid just because it is a 2 year degree.  What's next? A degree from a public university isn't as good as a private school????

I posted this information as a service to the many, like myself, who have a lifetime of experience gleaned from actually DOING something but for whatever reason were unable to finish a degree and would like one. 

In my 25 years in Public Service I have met many a college educated person who got the job based upon a degree but functionally were an idiot.  A degree DOES NOT mean you are more intelligent, better prepared or for that matter, better educated.  It means you had a more stable financial situation earlier in life that allowed you to go to school while others, myself included, went to work.

Forgive the rant but this is a sore spot with me...

Now back to your regularly scheduled uniform, NCO, Ranger thread......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: cap235629 on November 06, 2013, 01:05:47 AM

This college is a State Institution contracted BY FEMA to provide a path to a degree.  It is accredited by the same governing body as Georgetown and the University of Maryland.  It is not a fly by night diploma mill.

I find the elitist snobbery exhibited by some very troubling.  An accredited degree is an accredited degree, opinions notwithstanding.  Next you will say a community college degree is not valid just because it is a 2 year degree.  What's next? A degree from a public university isn't as good as a private school????

I posted this information as a service to the many, like myself, who have a lifetime of experience gleaned from actually DOING something but for whatever reason were unable to finish a degree and would like one. 

In my 25 years in Public Service I have met many a college educated person who got the job based upon a degree but functionally were an idiot.  A degree DOES NOT mean you are more intelligent, better prepared or for that matter, better educated.  It means you had a more stable financial situation earlier in life that allowed you to go to school while others, myself included, went to work.

Well said, Sir.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

THRAWN

"In addition, I've taken many FEMA courses as well and never felt that those courses were college level education. The fact that a college is willing to take your money to convert them into college credits raises a flag, in my opinion."

I've taken plenty of college courses that I felt weren't college level education. By way of example, my lovely bride is currently a master's candidate in education counseling. One of her recent assignments was "using crayons, markers, or pencils, draw a picture of something that makes you sad." Hardly graduate level work. Hardly middle school level work.... Schools like TESC, Frederick, Phoenix, and AMU provide a valuable service to their enrollees. Getting a degree is a very personal decision, and these schools offer alternatives that "traditional" schools generally don't. Besides, who wants to be stuck in a classroom where the majority of the "students" really don't want to be there? I've taken many DL programs, and find that the education is much more in depth and valuable and applicable to the real world.

As for your statement about taking money to make credits, what does Georgetown do? Harvard? Temple? Take money, and give credits. The college experience, especially the classroom setting, has become a reflection of society where everyone wins, regardless of ability. DL requires a bit more work and dedication because in some cases, you are responsible for teaching you. Are the IS courses great? No. Are the challenging? Moderately. Are they worth .5 or 1 credit? After seeing what passes for credit courses in brick and mortar schools, yep....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

johnnyb47

Thank you for the post.
After reading it my "Man I really need to get a degree." juices started flowing again.
While I probably won't use the specific program you posted it got me thinking about excellerated programs, wrapping together all of the college credits I already have with my career certifications (for life experience credits, etc) and taking a couple of classes to finally finish something up.

Gracias.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on November 06, 2013, 12:35:22 PM...my lovely bride is currently a master's candidate in education counseling. One of her recent assignments was "using crayons, markers, or pencils, draw a picture of something that makes you sad."

Heh - she should have drawn a picture of the last bill from the school!

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on November 04, 2013, 03:20:39 AM
Quote from: JC004 on November 04, 2013, 12:34:22 AM
DOING something (especially repeatedly) and needing to learn exactly how to do it are a heck of a lot more effective ways to learn than just memorizing long enough for the test. 

It blows my mind when I see programs that don't require practice or application in areas of study for which some application/practice is really necessary (like business).  You can graduate with a degree in business without having actually worked, ever?  Yikes.
And that's the sneaky thing about degrees.
Not only that....but half the stuff you learned to get your degree has nothing to do with what ever the degree is.  (foreign languages anyone?)

The destruction of the apprenticeship culture in this country, coupled with the devaluation of manufacturing and the trades is, IMHO, a big part of the reason for many of our other societal ills as well.  Kids come out of college with a wet diploma and think the corner office is a year away, or that they actually "know something" - then it takes
them several years to realize how much they don't know.

South Park - Hippies on corporations

The best, most effective and long-lasting lessons I received were while "doing" under someone who would be considered a "master" - technical, business, and life skills
are much clearer at the road level then in the classroom.

With that said, I did reap the benefits on a number of occasions from an Ivy-League education - namely watching MBAs run great companies
into the ground during the dot-bomb era because they forgot what they learned in ECON101.  Where better to learn about high-finance
then while generating and tracking bridge-loan documents because they've had to lay off most of the Accounting Department and the CFO?

Quote:
"We missed our sales numbers this month by 50%, so we need to hire a bunch more people because now we'll have to double the number for next month."

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Wow, it's amazing how people take offense so easily on this board.

Sir, my first degree was from a community college, so no, I have no problems with these. I also have no problems with any technical, vocational or educational institution. They all serve a purpose.

Now, I stand by my post. Not all institutions or degrees are the same. If that offends you, then I'm sorry for that, but it doesn't make it less true. If you need a degree, any degree, then do what's best for you; nothing wrong with that.

I know that my degree doesn't compare with one from MIT or Harvard or Stanford. That doesn't offend me. It's the truth. I went to school and chose a degree that worked for me. I made my choice. I've worked with folks that have PhDs; I don't have one. I'll probably never get one. That doesn't diminish their education or accomplishment.

You provided information as a service. We all appreciate it. I provided my comments (and opinion) as a service as well. I know that some employers only care that you have a degree; not how or where you got it from. Other employers do care and make decisions (hires, promotions, etc.) accordingly. If this degree works for you, then great! If it doesn't, then there are lots of alternative out there. But why take offense with my comments and even take a shot at me by calling me names (elitist, snob); not very professional, in my opinion.

I'm a volunteer, just like you. And I work for CAP as hard as you do. And I don't have to do this, but I do because I believe in the organization and its goals and I want to serve my community, just like you.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 06, 2013, 12:29:12 PM

Well said, Sir.

Bravo Sir.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Storm Chaser

In my 25 years in Public Service I have met many a college educated person who got the job based upon a degree but functionally were an idiot.

You can find "idiots" with and without college degrees, so one has no correlation with the other.

A degree DOES NOT mean you are more intelligent, better prepared or for that matter, better educated.

Agreed. Intelligence and aptitude are not dependent on or even associated with a college education. Some institutions and academic programs, however, can be more challenging than others.

It means you had a more stable financial situation earlier in life that allowed you to go to school while others, myself included, went to work.

That may be the case for some, but it's a poor and unfounded generalization. I've seen many college graduates (myself included), who came from low income families and had to work very hard and make many sacrifices to finish their degrees.

While not everyone needs or wants a college degree (nothing wrong with that), now a days there are many ways (although not necessarily easy ones) to get a degree. There are grants, scholarships, tuition assistance, student loans, and many more. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to sacrifice or not in order to get it, and if you feel it's worth you efforts.

Elihu.Lowery

I do find this to be an interesting topic but I have researched the FEMA courses and the College in question and all of you can read more here: http://www.frederick.edu/download/programs/ProgramInformation2013-14v2.pdf
It would seem that not all the FEMA courses convert to college credit and many of the ones that do require you complete a series of IS (independent Study) classes before they qualify for college credit. For Example: College course "FEM 174 Disaster Response Operations" require completion of IS-26, IS-102.c, IS-293, and IS-634 to convert to 1 credit hour. However, it is an excellent way to earn some possible credit hours for all the extra studying that one must do to be a Professional Volunteer; if you happen to have the extra money laying around.   
Elihu J. Lowery, MSgt., CAP
Cadet Programs NCO
SER-AL-090 117Th ANG Composite Squadron

♠SARKID♠

If it weren't for the internship, I'd jump all over this just to have a degree...

SARDOC

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on November 17, 2013, 04:44:14 AM
If it weren't for the internship, I'd jump all over this just to have a degree...

Why not?  I think you could use your Civil Air Patrol time as your internship.  Check with the school to see what you would need to do to accomplish the internship.

cap235629

Quote from: SARDOC on November 17, 2013, 02:20:44 PM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on November 17, 2013, 04:44:14 AM

Why not?  I think you could use your Civil Air Patrol time as your internship.  Check with the school to see what you would need to do to accomplish the internship.

Unfortunately he can't.  The internship requirements specifically state that you cannot use a current affiliation.  However EVERY jurisdiction in the US has an Emergency Manager.  They also have finite budgets and more than likely would love some free labor. Shop around
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

CAPglider792

I know that you can receive college credit for various Department of Emergency Management Courses through your state, which I have done.

sarmed1

As I mentioned in the NCO thread: (since there was a tangent of degree's) dont ever discount CLEP testing as an option.  Either the broad 5 major tests (usually 6 credits each) or the individual tests per "course"  (usually 3 credtits each).  At $80-100 a piece thats some easy transfer credit depending on your school of choice.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

stillamarine

Quote from: sarmed1 on November 18, 2013, 06:53:39 PM
As I mentioned in the NCO thread: (since there was a tangent of degree's) dont ever discount CLEP testing as an option.  Either the broad 5 major tests (usually 6 credits each) or the individual tests per "course"  (usually 3 credtits each).  At $80-100 a piece thats some easy transfer credit depending on your school of choice.

mk

+1  I have 18 credits thanks to this. Was a great way to waste time on ship.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

a2capt