Main Menu

CAP and Relationships?

Started by AngelWings, June 28, 2012, 02:13:12 AM

AngelWings

While me personally, I have a "Hell NO!" on any relationships in CAP, I was wondering how people feel about CAP and relationships, particularly cadet relationships. I personally see CAP relationships has relatively short lived drama filled experiences that turn cadets against eachother and make two peoples business their entire squadrons matter.

a2capt

It's not CAP's business to dictate that. "Hell NO!" sounds like it would have to rule out plenty of mature people, too.

It's a fact of life, can't do anything about it. Two get attracted, they have to quit? Is that the goal of the program?

Keep it out of CAP, if not, then deal with that problem. But don't make it a penalty.

AngelWings

Quote from: a2capt on June 28, 2012, 02:24:06 AM
It's not CAP's business to dictate that. "Hell NO!" sounds like it would have to rule out plenty of mature people, too.

It's a fact of life, can't do anything about it. Two get attracted, they have to quit? Is that the goal of the program?

Keep it out of CAP, if not, then deal with that problem. But don't make it a penalty.
I'm not suggesting a policy against it, or really any discouragment, I am just trying to see if my viewpoint is different than other peoples on the situation.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

Quote from: a2capt on June 28, 2012, 02:24:06 AM

+1

Humans are humans, stuff happens, as long as cadets keep it out of the squadron I don't care.  If it affects other members or performance, then I got a problem.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Майор Хаткевич

There's a rule against SM/Cadet relationships. That's enough. Everything else: adults should act like adults, or a conversation will be had. Cadets should act like cadets, and what they do outside of CAP we shouldn't care (in this regard).

That said, there are plenty of Husband/Wife pairs in CAP. They act like they would in a professional manner, and it's a non-issue.

SarDragon

And that about covers it.

This topic has been discussed to the point of absurdity on many other threads, so I suggest that we just let it go away quietly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

I met my wife as a cadet, at encampment.  We've been married 10 years.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Cap'n

It doesn't seem to work out in the occasions I've seen. A cadet and friend of mine was caught kissing another cadet (her boyfriend) during a meeting, in uniform. It did not end well, as it shouldn't have. I think it's alright to date someone if during the meeting you're professional and mature, and it you don't create the drama that can come with dating. I myself like someone in my squadron, but I also know him outside of CAP, and during meetings it is completely professional.

But in most occasions of at least the younger aged group of kids dating, it usually isn't a good idea. At least if you don't know how to act properly.

Extremepredjudice

I find this odd, we have a CAP regulation outlawing cadets dating, but at encampment, we were told we could "ask a female cadet to the banquet." I found that very strange...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

lordmonar

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 28, 2012, 06:41:57 AM
I find this odd, we have a CAP regulation outlawing cadets dating, but at encampment, we were told we could "ask a female cadet to the banquet." I found that very strange...
We have a regulation that does what?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Extremepredjudice

Nevermind, I misread the regulation.  :-[
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

That, IMHO, doesn't constitute a date. It's done to build social skills. I wish they had done that at my encampment, although there was a distinctly poor m:f ratio involved.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikebank

I don't know, what were the chances of having any heavy petting going on at the banquet? Its not like you weren't chaperoned...
1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

BillB

Extreme
Cite please on what regulation prevents cadets from dating. There is no such animal. Are you thinking of Public Display of Affection?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

jeders

Quote from: BillB on June 28, 2012, 11:16:48 AM
Extreme
Cite please on what regulation prevents cadets from dating. There is no such animal. Are you thinking of Public Display of Affection?

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 28, 2012, 07:04:15 AM
Nevermind, I misread the regulation.  :-[

Asked and answered.

Tick-toc-tick-toc
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Flying Pig

CAP is no different than dating someone who goes to your church, someone you sit in class with, work with.  People can screw it up regardless of the place.  Obviously SM/Cadet aint gonna fly.  But beyond that, lets face it..... people date people they have things in common with.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 28, 2012, 01:35:28 PM
CAP is no different than dating someone who goes to your church, someone you sit in class with, work with.  People can screw it up regardless of the place.  Obviously SM/Cadet aint gonna fly.  But beyond that, lets face it..... people date people they have things in common with.

What amazes me is that SM/Cadet rule is relatively new...

jacksmith60187

CAP should control the relationships so that we breed a better next generation of cadets.

Struts

I think we can safely say that we are beating the dead horse on cadet relationships.