Main Menu

ACA

Started by Becks, December 11, 2006, 10:41:22 PM

COL Land

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 18, 2007, 09:58:00 PM
See thats the thing.  There is no real database on line to find a local ACA unit.  We can fill out the request info form, but I like to do my own research sometimes!

That's true, no unit locater.   In part, because we are somewhat IT-challenged (or more accurately, IT-overloaded), and in part, because there are so many units in the formation process it's hard to keep up.   Any Web-Gods out there?   I'd be glad to chat! ;)

As for the Panhandle, I have a unit which started at Fort Walton Beach, but moved up to Fort Rucker due to our drill format (one weekend a month).   If you wand the CO's contact info, PM me.

R,
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

Larry Mangum

Are there units in Washington state?
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

pixelwonk

Ninne... er, that IT guy better get his poop in a group soon and recruit you guys a web designer. :D

Major Lord

CDRLand,

Certainly no offense was intended in regards to the phrase: "making things up" , Perhaps a better way to phrase this is to say that we were all struggling with how we could transition the program to California, and that I personally could not make all the sacrifices required to start an ACA unit from Scratch. Chris Ross has done a fine job for you in this area. I have the utmost respect for ACA and would love to get involved in  your program when I have the time to give it the attention it deserves. I stand by my statement that the CAP Cadet program suffers from hypogonadisim and that we need the influence of ACA to keep us on the right track.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

COL Land

Quote from: wawgcap on October 18, 2007, 11:50:29 PM
Are there units in Washington state?

Several young people, and even some adults, have shown interest...but, no adults from Washington who are willing to lead the formation of a unit.

R, 
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

COL Land

Quote from: Major Lord on October 19, 2007, 12:23:45 AM
Certainly no offense was intended in regards to the phrase: "making things up" (snip) ...I stand by my statement that the CAP Cadet program suffers from hypogonadisim and that we need the influence of ACA to keep us on the right track.

No problem, and no offense taken, at all.   We're glad to set the standard!   ;D

Hooah!

R,

JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

PHall

Quote from: LTC Land on October 18, 2007, 11:47:03 PMAny Web-Gods out there?   I'd be glad to chat! ;)

You have two of them already. Captains Ninness and Stanford.
Just don't tell them who ratted them out! ;)

COL Land

Quote from: PHall on October 19, 2007, 01:50:12 AM
Quote from: LTC Land on October 18, 2007, 11:47:03 PMAny Web-Gods out there?   I'd be glad to chat! ;)

You have two of them already. Captains Ninness and Stanford.
Just don't tell them who ratted them out! ;)

The "Captains Duo" are both heavily involved in Program Development (we have some great training materials, especially our leadership programming), so they've dodged the "Web-God" bullet.   I have to fine someone with the time, talent, desire and passion (I know, asking a lot) to do the job right.   

For an example of our IT successes, feel free to take a look at http://www.cadtrak.acacadets.org/manual/  .   

R,
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

sandman

I'm impressed with the program overall. After having a bit of a PM chat with LTC Land and having a few details cleared up, I think I can say I'm about ready to hang up my CAP blues (ready to retire anyway) and switch over to the ACA.

An interesting note is that the Naval Cadet and Marine Cadet program is going into the history books soon as the US Army embraces the ACA Army Cadets as their own cadetting program.

The US Army will be an open field for a cadet program. Ground pounding will be an obvious part of the program and who's to say that a ground SAR program couldn't become a reality?

The US Army has a fantastic aviation component and O-rides could be interesting; who's to say that an ACA cadet couldn't ride in USAF equipment? That's what the USAF does is gives rides to the US Army to get them into battle!

The US Army also has a large maritime component. Who's to say that an Army Cadet couldn't earn a "surface warfare" qualification or take an "O-ride" on a US Army ship (or Navy, USCG, etc)?

The US Army Corps of Engineers has such a great presence throughout the U.S. with a large component of their employees as civilians, who's to say that MOU's couldn't be struck to allow ACA Army Cadets to participate in studying and saving "the environment"? What Birkenstock wearing parent wouldn't like that (especially noting that most of the employees are civilians and scientists)?

Could the Army Cadets outpace the CAP (or for that matter, the USNSCC or Young Marines)? Hard to tell. It would depend a great deal on the amount of funding received from the US Army and more importantly.....finding adult leadership willing to take on such a project.

Bling. Yes our favorite subject. I think the ACA has it good with metal rank, etc. I would like to see the development of an alternative uniform for "fuzzies" and those of us "out of standards" that is much more than a polo shirt/slacks combo. Hopefully a "BDU" type uniform for the aforementioned people could be developed soon.

Anyway, just had to chime in. I look forward to the further success of the ACA!

v/r
LT
(former US Army medical NCO)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

RiverAux

No, the limiting factor is the Army's interest in taking on liability for using them in an "operational" fashion.  CAP and the AF have a pretty large infrastructure associated with using cadets in that fashion that the Army would have to develop.  Could it be done?  Sure, but will it?  Keep in mind that some changes in federal laws would be necessary to do much of anything. 

Personally, I would be a bit hesitant to make any switch unless there were some concrete moves by the Army along these lines.  Until then they're just rumors. 

If I were the Army I would be very reluctant to set up another CAP-like situation wherein they did not have total control of the program.

sandman

Quote from: RiverAux on December 09, 2007, 10:12:44 PM
No, the limiting factor is the Army's interest in taking on liability for using them in an "operational" fashion.  CAP and the AF have a pretty large infrastructure associated with using cadets in that fashion that the Army would have to develop.  Could it be done?  Sure, but will it?  Keep in mind that some changes in federal laws would be necessary to do much of anything. 

Agreed. That is a component of funding.
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

RiverAux

After a little scouting on the ACA web site, it does appear that they are moving the direction you're talking about http://www.acacadets.org/PDF/acanote0705.pdf but apparently more twoards a Young Marines-USMC, Naval Sea Cadets-USN relationship rather than a CAP-AF relationship. 

sandman

Quote from: RiverAux on December 09, 2007, 10:22:14 PM
After a little scouting on the ACA web site, it does appear that they are moving the direction you're talking about http://www.acacadets.org/PDF/acanote0705.pdf but apparently more twoards a Young Marines-USMC, Naval Sea Cadets-USN relationship rather than a CAP-AF relationship. 

Negative Sir,

The Navy and Marine components of the ACA are being disestablished and will only have one component...The US Army!
LTC Land could probably provide more info as to the time frame for the change to an Army only cadet structure but I understand it will happen sometime early in 2008.

v/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

RiverAux

I meant that what was left was going to have the same sort of relationship with the Army as those other organizations have with "their" services rather than the somewhat more direct control AF has over CAP.

mikeylikey

Interesting.  I have never heard of any of this before.  The Army (United Stated Army) has said anything about supporting a Cadet Program like this? 

They already have the Largest Cadet Program in the Country.....JROTC and ROTC.  They completely controll it.

On a side note USACC.....is an acronym already used by US Army Cadet Command, part of Accessions Command at Ft Knox.  If this does go through, I wonder if they will be the lead organization.  They already run the JROTC and ROTC programs.
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

They've apparently only got about 30 units according to their web page so I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of them.  Of course, the Young Marines were about that small not long ago and they're exploded. 

You do wonder why the Army would want to do this since as you said, they've already got a huge program. 

mikeylikey

I searched their site and could find nothing about creating a new partnership with the Army.  Unless they are holding off on announcing it, I will wait and see.  UNLESS someone here has some insight.
What's up monkeys?

sandman

Quote from: RiverAux on December 09, 2007, 10:51:49 PM
They've apparently only got about 30 units according to their web page so I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of them.  Of course, the Young Marines were about that small not long ago and they're exploded. 

You do wonder why the Army would want to do this since as you said, they've already got a huge program. 

Well, I have been given some interesting information, and of course cannot pass it on at this time. Look for the ACA to start increasing in force and structure within the next few years not in competition with JROTC and ROTC, but as a seperate community based cadet program. Remember the limitations that JROTC and ROTC have such as kowtowing to the school board, limitations of training, and geographical limitations (many schools do not have such a program).
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

mikeylikey

Quote from: sandman on December 09, 2007, 11:08:44 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 09, 2007, 10:51:49 PM

Well, I have been given some interesting information, and of course cannot pass it on at this time. Look for the ACA to start increasing in force and structure within the next few years not in competition with JROTC and ROTC, but as a seperate community based cadet program. Remember the limitations that JROTC and ROTC have such as kowtowing to the school board, limitations of training, and geographical limitations (many schools do not have such a program).

Thanks!  This is like saying "I know something you don't know".  QUESTION......will we eventually have something to read in the near future.  I am very interested now. 
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

The Army is struggling to meet its recruitment goals, so I think its a good move to create a long-term program to support the Army with motivated high-school age youth.

The Air Corps started the CAP cadet program for the same reasons in World War II, when the Air Corps was carrying the lion's share of the overseas combat, and suffering the lion's share of casualties as a result.
Another former CAP officer