Pet Peeve: Plural of "Sir" & "Ma'am"

Started by FlyTiger77, August 16, 2010, 10:37:06 PM

Eclipse

It is the respect that is important, not getting tied up in verbiage.

I don't necessarily agree 100% with the original assertions myself.  Ladies and gentlemen sounds like you are starting a play, and doesn't necessarily convey the acknowledgment of subordinate status like "sirs" does, or "commanders" or "Majors", etc.

Your best best is to simply cross the street if the group is too complicated.

"That Others May Zoom"

ZigZag911

Quote from: octavian on August 17, 2010, 12:20:00 AM
"Company to Company",  Andrew Littlejohn. Cambridge University Press.1988,1994.  "Sirs" is used in a formal setting.  I also have a dictionary which lists the plural of "sir" as "sires" or "seres".

I'm sure a gathering of Wing Kings would love being addressed as "Sires"!!! ;D

SarDragon

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 19, 2010, 06:24:55 PM
Quote from: octavian on August 17, 2010, 12:20:00 AM
"Company to Company",  Andrew Littlejohn. Cambridge University Press.1988,1994.  "Sirs" is used in a formal setting.  I also have a dictionary which lists the plural of "sir" as "sires" or "seres".

I'm sure a gathering of Wing Kings would love being addressed as "Sires"!!! ;D

Ooh, especially since there are five (I think) female wing commanders at present.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Krapenhoeffer

Well, unless I'm mistaken, the formal name for a Conduct Unbecoming charge is...

Conduct Unbecoming an Officer and a Gentleman

Looking at some statements that were spoken in the days of the Continental Army, and given the Medieval origins of Customs and Courtesies, Ladies and Gentlemen does seem to be the correct verbiage.

Alas, sirs and ma'ams would seem to annoy the English majors more, and I have a personal vendetta against them, so I'll stick to whatever seems most illogical.  :P
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

RRLE

Quotema'ams would seem to annoy the English majors more

Ma'am should tick off the English majors already. It is a contraction of madam. Which would make ma'ams , uncontracted, to be madams.  :)

Al Sayre

Which, one might think would really tick off the female officers; since by calling them ma'ams, you are essentially refering to them as madams under contract...  >:D ;D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Turk

Well... "Ma'am" is simply a contraction of "Madame."  Pluralizing that contraction would, I agree, be incorrect.

Along this line of thinking, once could properly (though not militarily)  say "Mesdames" or "Mesdemoiselles!"

I don't mean to get all Froggy here, but the Lingua Franca has had an impact on the Lingua Angla since 1066!!!

Quote from: SarDragon on August 17, 2010, 07:16:55 PM
IMHO, the differences in use are situational. Gentlemen would be used to broadly address a larger group, say in auditorium or similar venue, while sirs would be used to directly address a smaller group in your immediate presence, like Radar used to do.

YMMV.

BTW, I doubt that ma'ams is ever correct.

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on August 20, 2010, 05:02:27 AM
Well, unless I'm mistaken, the formal name for a Conduct Unbecoming charge is...

Conduct Unbecoming an Officer and a Gentleman...

Today's UCMJ simply refers it as 'Conduct Unbecoming an Officer'.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Майор Хаткевич

That's due to Ladies being in the mix. But historically speaking, the two are linked.

Patterson

So what does the military expect to be used??  Sirs or Gentleman?  Lets take their lead. 

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Patterson on August 24, 2010, 02:39:24 PM
So what does the military expect to be used??  Sirs or Gentleman?  Lets take their lead.

From my military experience, "gentlemen" is the proper plural of "sir."
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

FlyTiger77

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 24, 2010, 09:38:59 AM
Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on August 20, 2010, 05:02:27 AM

Conduct Unbecoming an Officer and a Gentleman...

Today's UCMJ simply refers it as 'Conduct Unbecoming an Officer'.

Not true.

Article 133 of the UCMJ is still "Conduct unbecoming and officer and gentleman." The current revision of the Manual for Courts Martial United States (2008 Revision) defines "gentleman" as "...includ[ing] both male and female commissioned officers, cadets, and midshipmen."

JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

RobertAmphibian

My vote is for ladies and gentlemen, sirs and ma'ams is awkward.