Pet Peeve: Plural of "Sir" & "Ma'am"

Started by FlyTiger77, August 16, 2010, 10:37:06 PM

FlyTiger77

Although this was covered fairly succinctly in a thread about four years ago, a periodic refresher may be in order:

The plural of "Sir" is "Gentlemen" while the plural of "Ma'am" is "Ladies." Of course, a mixed-company group would be "Ladies and Gentlemen." In a group with several more-senior (to you) female officers and a single more-senior male, it would be appropriate to say, "Sir/Ladies" and vice versa for a group of males and a single senior female.

It has been my experience that adherence to this method greatly enhances the listener's perception of the speaker's professionalism.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

davidsinn

Thank you Colonel. I hate it when cadets pull an O'Reilly.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Yes Sirs! will keep in mind.

When do the Ma'ams get here?

FlyTiger77

FlyTiger77

Quote from: davidsinn on August 16, 2010, 10:47:36 PM
Thank you Colonel. I hate it when cadets pull an O'Reilly.

Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world is an "O'Reilly?"

SarDragon

Radar O'Reilly, the clerk from M*A*S*H.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on August 16, 2010, 11:02:48 PM

Yup. Always going around saying "sirs."
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

FlyTiger77

Quote from: SarDragon on August 16, 2010, 11:02:48 PM

Gotcha. I actually HAVE seen that. For some reason I was stuck at "Bill O'Reilly"...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on August 16, 2010, 11:00:04 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 16, 2010, 10:50:19 PM
Yes Sirs! will keep in mind.

When do the Ma'ams get here?

Cute.

I try sir.

I've heard the male version a lot, but not so much for the female version. I guess sirs is easier to roll off than ma'ams.

Still tickles me each time when a cadet says it.

DakRadz

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thank you for informing the unwashed masses of cadets, sir. :-[

Yeah, no, I didn't know that at all.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: DakRadz on August 16, 2010, 11:13:04 PM
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thank you for informing the unwashed masses of cadets, sir. :-[

Yeah, no, I didn't know that at all.

You're welcome, but this was in no way directed strictly at cadets. The e-mail that precipitated my comment came from a new SM and I also beat up, with some regularity, some military officers for the same thing.

v/r

octavian

"Sirs" is the plural of "sir" and is acceptable to use, though many people in the U.S. prefer "gentlemen". 

FlyTiger77

Quote from: octavian on August 16, 2010, 11:58:53 PM
"Sirs" is the plural of "sir" and is acceptable to use, though many people in the U.S. prefer "gentlemen".

I would be interested to see your source(s) as none of the four dictionaries I have readily at hand list "sirs" as acceptable.

v/r

octavian

"Company to Company",  Andrew Littlejohn. Cambridge University Press.1988,1994.  "Sirs" is used in a formal setting.  I also have a dictionary which lists the plural of "sir" as "sires" or "seres".

raivo

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

RRLE

MSN Encarta sir definition

Quotesir [ stressed sur, unstressed sər ] (plural sirs)

lordmonar

Dictionary.com also uses "Sirs" in one of its examples of how to use sir in a sentance.

I do agree that while Sirs may be technically correct.....the pefered address whould be Gentlemen.

and of course YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

IMHO, the differences in use are situational. Gentlemen would be used to broadly address a larger group, say in auditorium or similar venue, while sirs would be used to directly address a smaller group in your immediate presence, like Radar used to do.

YMMV.

BTW, I doubt that ma'ams is ever correct.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vmstan

If I'm standing there talking to another senior member, and a cadet walks up to tell us it was time for opening, hearing him address us as "Sirs" sounds better than "Gentlemen" -- but that's just me.

If the same cadet came up and told an entire room of senior members that it was time for opening, gentlemen seems more appropriate. I think it just has to do with the number of people being addressed and the situation.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

SarDragon

There you go, examples of what I said.

Thank you.  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret