Main Menu

Diversity Committee

Started by Flying Pig, May 11, 2010, 11:48:04 PM

heliodoc

CAP just ought to accept it if they are receiving the freebies the USAF is giving them along with any Federal grant FEMA, State or local.

Sure it's unwarranted in a corporate 501(c)3 as everyone here likes to claim....but the "corporation" is receiving those "free" aircraft to do all those "Missions for America" aren't they?  So get in line with everyone one else and accept it

The Federal Agencies went through this approx 20-35 yrs ago

CAP........just do the same

AirAux

Obama is not our Commander in Chief.  You need to learn the chain of command for our organization.  We are a corporation and he isn't the president or chairman of the board.. And to get back to the main beef, we have no discrimination problem in CAP yet, but we will have if we start appointing people to positions based upon gender or race.. 

alamrcn

Ok, nevermind the "Commander in Chief" bit. I was just trying to not be repetitious with the word President.

QuoteWhat US Code section states "citizens will address the President as "President"??

Really? You need a regulation to be respectful? C'mon, man...
I very rarely threw out just "Bush" in reference to #43 -- especially when in the roll of a CAP member. Just like I never say "Courter" without General in front of her name. The "Courtesy" part of our "Customs and Courtesies" - as CAP members AND citizens - shouldn't slack EVEN when it comes to politicians... And I don't even like politicians!!  >:D

And now back to the thread...

I didn't catch it, but how many people will serve on Diversity Committee?

Do you think it will be an accurate representation of our membership's sex, age, race, religionand culture makeup?
Or will it be purposefully lacking of the older white male members that are most attracted to our organization. If they don't need or want these types of members, why don't they just say so - Be honest and direct with something like this for once!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

davidsinn

Quote from: alamrcn on May 24, 2010, 07:13:21 PM

Or will it be purposefully lacking of the older white male members that are most attracted to our organization.

Looking at the requirements they listed, the board will only be made of those types of people.

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

davedove

Quote from: alamrcn on May 24, 2010, 07:13:21 PM

QuoteWhat US Code section states "citizens will address the President as "President"??

Really? You need a regulation to be respectful? C'mon, man...

There may not be anything that says "citizens will..."  That sounds a bit too authoritarian to me, free speech and all that.  But I have no doubt of there being something that details the official form of address.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Flying Pig

Yeah, OK.  There is NOTHING enforceable the requires me, as a private citizen, to address any member of government by any title.  I can call Obama "Big Funky B" if I want to.  There may be some etiquette outlined somewhere, but no law.

A.Member

Quote from: JC004 on May 23, 2010, 02:30:59 AM
A. - not a bad summation you quoted.  I've done better than they, though.   >:D  Where is it from?
The quotes are from some generational training materials designed for leaders at a Fortune 100 company.   However, many large companies have similar training programs.   As a matter of fact, I came across this article today:
Millenials At Work, Kraft's Innovative Approach To Mentoring   
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

alamrcn

Quote from: Flying Pig"Big Funky B"

LOL, love it...
I'm not sure if you go by Bob or not, but you should add that to your signature line as your either your middle name, or an "aka" tag.

So, I guess we'll see how fast this committee is put together, and if it's mostly going to be on paper and run through e-mails. The federal funding point was a good one, and I agree that it may be just for that purpose.

As we've ALL said here:
We don't care who or what your are statistically or biologically...
Do you want to pay $60/year, volunteer as much of your own time as your comfortable with, and follow our rules... You're hired! If you want to volunteer even more of your time and money, and are fairly good at your CAP duties... You're promoted!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Senior

The issue with a  diversity (political correctness) committee is the minority group forces its desire/decisions on the majority under  the
guise of fairness.  I would be very offended to be promoted just because I was this or that, and not on qualifications or merit.  I have seen this happen in the military and business.  I honestly  hope the
leadership of this organization doesn't head down this road.     

JC004

Quote from: A.Member on May 25, 2010, 08:01:40 PM
A. - not a bad summation you quoted.  I've done better than they, though.   >:D  Where is it from?
The quotes are from some generational training materials designed for leaders at a Fortune 100 company.   However, many large companies have similar training programs.   As a matter of fact, I came across this article today:

hmmm.  ty.

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Flying Pig

Theres a Kraft plant where I am.  Great place to scope out vehicle stops and nab wanted parolees and dopers. Keep up on the mentoring!

High Speed Low Drag

I have to admit that I am a little disappointed by the reaction of some of the other CAPTalkers here.  Some one says the word “Diversity” and the talk immediately goes to affirmative action.  Does CAP need to be more diverse?  Unquestionably.  We need to focus on recruiting more socio-economically challenged individuals, particularly from urban areas.  But CAP also fails to reach Blacks and Hispanics on a cultural level as well.  See post I made some time ago:

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on February 09, 2010, 04:51:35 AM
I disagree about race not playing a part.  Yes, this is the 21st Century, but race is still important, particularly within the cadet ranks.

Civil Air Patrol is for all people.  There was another thread about this (I'm not going to go find it), but the vast majority of cadets appear to be Caucasian.  The demographics would be able to help tell us if we are reaching all audiences.  For example, I live in Little Rock, AR.  We run about 50-50, with a very small Hispanic and virtually non-existent Asian population.  However, when I first joined LRCS, there was only one Black cadet out of 15.  That told me we were not reaching 50% of our recruiting pool.  I also noticed that we would occasionally have Black prospects, but they wouldn't come back after the first meeting.  I ended up calling a couple back and the parents said they were not comfortable because there weren't any Black cadets or seniors in the group.

I wanted the demographics to more reflect the community.  First I recruited my wife (who is Black, I'm Caucasian) and my step-daughter.  Then, I began a focused recruiting drive in the LR Schools that resulted in a very mixed Open House.  It has been almost a year, but the results are paying off.  Now we have 10 Black cadets out of 47 cadets.  My wife, now a 2nd Lt., has told me that the parents of Black prospects almost always ask her all the time about how race is handled in the squadron, if her daughter likes the program, what she thinks of how the black cadets are treated, etc.  The issue of race relations/ratios is very important to the Black community in what seems to be an almost all White program.  My wife said the only reason she was comfortable with her daughter participating was because of me.

Unfortunately, we have had a few of the original cadets drop out because they didn’t like the changes.

I think the squadron has improved with the changes.  We have also seen an increase in the number of senior members who are of minority. I still think that it is important for CAP to look at demographics, including race, to see how effective our recruiting efforts are and where we need to improve.  After all, we are the American Civil Air Patrol.

I disagree with the Diversity Committee as charged.  I think the gender and race representation for commanders is demographically representative of the current senior member / grade representation.   And the key to true diverse leadership is proper training so as to take advantage of promotional opportunities when they arise.  CAP does a good job of that with its’ ProDev Program.  Where I think we need a Diversity Committee is in the area of recruiting and retention.

Before I was married to a Black, I was married to a Hispanic.  I have seen both cultures from an “inside” perspective.  I understand both of these cultures, along with my own (Midwest Caucasian); I have also learned how to inter-culturally commuinicate.  I am currently working on putting a CAP School Enrichment Program into a public school that is 90% African American and Hispanic.  One of the reasons I am being taken seriously by the school administration is because of my reputation at the LRPD as a culturally diverse individual and leader.  Additionally, under my leadership, our racial and gender diversity at the squadron has improved 300%

Unfortunately, because I am not a mover & shaker, nor high enough in CAP grade, my thoughts, insights, and expereince will be ignored by those with the power to make changes.  We will have some folks that are familiar with diversity training, some folks that intend to do good, and some that are intent on whitewashing the situation.  But will this committee have anyone that has lived diversity, has faced the challenges of integrating into another culture, can communicate this insight?  Probably not.

Without changes, CAP will still be 78% Caucasian and the Blacks & Hispanics won’t be participating.  (Caucasian percentage would be higher if it was not for the SEPs across the country)  THAT is what we need a Diversity Committee about, NOT about whether our commanders are gender and racially diverse.  Unfortunately, I do not see the Diversity Committee doing anything other than paying lip-service to the idea of diversity.  Only directing resources at changing the way we do business will change my opinion.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

Eclipse

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on May 28, 2010, 07:05:26 PM
I have to admit that I am a little disappointed by the reaction of some of the other CAPTalkers here.  Some one says the word "Diversity" and the talk immediately goes to affirmative action.  Does CAP need to be more diverse?  Unquestionably.  We need to focus on recruiting more socio-economically challenged individuals, particularly from urban areas.

Absent funding to support that idea, how, exactly, would you like to do that?

Putting a recruiting table up and passing out applications in historically underserved areas doesn't provide the money, transportation, or even the interest in CAP just because NHQ says it should.

Airports and military installations have dried up significantly over the last 20 years - those were the places that supported CAP and generated interest.  At least in my AOR, the reason there is no unit in "x" area is because there is little interest there.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: A.Member on May 25, 2010, 08:01:40 PM

QuoteAccording to a study by Spherion (staffing firm in FL) – "90 percent of 18-24 year olds feel that listening to an iPod while working improves their job satisfaction and productivity"

Here I am, typing this at work with one headphone in, connected to my iPod. :)

davidsinn

We need to focus on recruiting more socio-economically challenged individuals, particularly from urban areas.  But CAP also fails to reach Blacks and Hispanics on a cultural level as well. 

Eclipse covered the money angle pretty well. The problem is not a racial one, but a cultural one. Picture an inner city youth. His race is irrelevant but do you honestly think the values we hold dear are compatible with the ones glorified in inner urban culture? We can not be everything to everyone so we should just be what we are. If we don't have units in location XYZ then why force it?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: Eclipse on May 28, 2010, 07:10:14 PM
I have to admit that I am a little disappointed by the reaction of some of the other CAPTalkers here.  Some one says the word “Diversity” and the talk immediately goes to affirmative action.  Does CAP need to be more diverse?  Unquestionably.  We need to focus on recruiting more socio-economically challenged individuals, particularly from urban areas.

Absent funding to support that idea, how, exactly, would you like to do that?

Putting a recruiting table up and passing out applications in historically underserved areas doesn't provide the money, transportation, or even the interest in CAP just because NHQ says it should.

Airports and military installations have dried up significantly over the last 20 years - those were the places that supported CAP and generated interest.  At least in my AOR, the reason there is no unit in "x" area is because there is little interest there.

It doesn't have to be fixed with direct funding from National.  We didn’t get any money.  The biggest part of our success was speaking to the culture of the prospects.  Of making them feel comfortable with us.  Of demonstrating that we recognize the different culture and communicating in the logic of the culture.  We have kids of all races come in that are not economically advantaged.  We have to convince them that CAP is WORTH the spare money the family has. 

With help & training from NHQ, this can be spread out to all the squadrons; an example of something they have already done is print the Parents Guide in Spanish for Hispanics.  That’s an obvious.  What isn’t so obvious would be an example of emphasizing the Moral Leadership portion when speaking with Blacks over saying the cool summer activities they can do.  Or being sure to address the majority of conversation with the male head-of-household when speaking with a Hispanic family, emphasis how the cadet would learn skills (leadership, exposure to different careers, etc) for job opportunities.
G. St. Pierre                             

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: davidsinn on May 28, 2010, 07:45:58 PM
We need to focus on recruiting more socio-economically challenged individuals, particularly from urban areas.  But CAP also fails to reach Blacks and Hispanics on a cultural level as well. 

Eclipse covered the money angle pretty well. The problem is not a racial one, but a cultural one. Picture an inner city youth. His race is irrelevant but do you honestly think the values we hold dear are compatible with the ones glorified in inner urban culture? We can not be everything to everyone so we should just be what we are. If we don't have units in location XYZ then why force it?

So we shouldn't even try to get those youths that might see us as an alternative to what the sterotype of inner urban culture is?
G. St. Pierre                             

Flying Pig

CAP is here.  If there are people in those areas interested in starting a unit, apply for a charter and start a unit.  Seems to me that nobody is interested.  My Squadron is located smack in the middle of the HOOD!  Right next door to the mental hospital and County Social Services and across the street from an inner city church.  Guess what.......not many of the locals have joined. Nor has its location prevented me from recruiting some outstanding members and also being CAWGs top Squadron and Pacific Regions Squadron of Merit. And believe me, I have a pretty diverse group. (Hey, what good are awards if you cant use them to support your argument!) ;D

davidsinn

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on May 28, 2010, 07:51:52 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on May 28, 2010, 07:45:58 PM

So we shouldn't even try to get those youths that might see us as an alternative to what the sterotype of inner urban culture is?

I've had cadets with similar attitudes to that culture. They were nothing but trouble and actually caused harm to my unit by driving off other cadets. If a cadet would like to join us as a way to get out then I welcome them. I will not change my values nor compromise the program to do it though.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn