Instructor Training Course

Started by arajca, October 25, 2007, 04:33:07 AM

arajca

Going through the pamphlete for the Professional Development Officer, I came across this in the Master rating section:
Quote from: CAPP 204
Planning, coordinating, and implementing the Instructor Training Course. The Instructor Training Course is a 1-day (8-
hour) course prefixed with a self-study manual. Members may obtain the student and instructor materials from the HQ CAP/
MSA by using a CAPF 8, Requisition for Publications and Blank Forms. Students for this course will need 4-6 weeks to
complete the self-study portion of this course.

Has anyone seen or conducted one of these? I am planning to requisition the materials once Eservices comes back up.

SarDragon

I reaffiliated with a unit in 1999. I don't recall having seen anything like that back then. The date of CAPP 204 is 1997, so I'm guessing the course, if there ever was one, went away fairly quickly. The oldest 0-2 and 0-9 I have here are from 2002, and they mention nothing about a course like that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ricochet13

Have not run across this program in my brief time in CAP.  I know CAP-NHQ was looking into an Instructor Training Course - ITC, which was a modification of something USAF was doing, but have not heard anything recently about the progress of that program.  The only thing I am aware of was a Train-the-Trainer - TTT program, but have never seen it used in CAP and believe it was discontinued before I joined.

CAP_truth

National Headquarters has discontinued the Instructor program for master rating in professional development Last year there was a beta program called Civil Air Patrol Instructor's Course CAPIC. The course was modeled after the Air Force's Academic Instructor Course. But, recently it does not appear on CAP.gov.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

mmouw

The course is still on the AFIDAL site and can be taken. I started it last year and it moved to the Air University site. I had to start over with the transition. I haven't finished it yet, but if it is not going to count for anything, why bother.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

SarDragon

An instructor course without practical application to go along with it is almost useless. You can read all you want from a book and memorize it cold, but unless you can effectively apply it, you have wasted your time.

Why do you think teachers have to do student teaching? They get evaluated on how well they can do the job, and if they don't meet standards, they don't get the credential.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Rivera

Quote from: CAP_truth on October 26, 2007, 12:32:14 AM
National Headquarters has discontinued the Instructor program for master rating in professional development Last year there was a beta program called Civil Air Patrol Instructor's Course CAPIC. The course was modeled after the Air Force's Academic Instructor Course. But, recently it does not appear on CAP.gov.

is there a change letter or something else official confirming this statement?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

SarDragon

Quote from: SarDragon on October 26, 2007, 07:20:56 AM
An instructor course without practical application to go along with it is almost useless. You can read all you want from a book and memorize it cold, but unless you can effectively apply it, you have wasted your time.

Why do you think teachers have to do student teaching? They get evaluated on how well they can do the job, and if they don't meet standards, they don't get the credential.

I absolutely agree. I went to the Navy equivalent of the AF course, and it was the hardest course (4 weeks) I attended. Harder, even, than the 6 month electronics course I attended right out of boot camp. My class lost @ 15% in drops.

USNR has a condensed 2 day course that I sent up the PD pipe about a year ago that would work well for CAP. Haven't heard anything back on it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

I have not seen anything. I have seen a FEMA course called "Intructional Techniques for Subject Metter Experts".  I am trying to get a copy of the materials. FEMA says to ask the State, but so far, I haven't gotten a response from the state.

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on September 23, 2008, 04:58:34 AM
USNR has a condensed 2 day course that I sent up the PD pipe about a year ago that would work well for CAP. Haven't heard anything back on it.
Any chance you could send me a copy of the materials?

SarDragon

Not right now. It was provided specifically to send up the pipe, and there are a couple of aspects that preclude its use in the current format.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Rivera

Someone here has had to have gotten Master rating since April 1997. How did you do it? [If you don't feel comfortable telling us, does that mean you didn't really meet the requirement?]

That was some requirement to stamp on there. I bet the people who wrote it didn't have to do it... Funny how NHQ didn't get their course off the ground, how can they expect Joe Blow volunteer to do things that they can't as well as other paid professionals can't seem to do. [Sounds like a question for the knowledgebase, I'll let you know what I find out.] Until then, I'm hoping anyone who has achieved Master since April of 97 might share how they were able to do this.

Who was the Group LVL guy on here looking over peoples PD to make sure it was legit? He should take a look at his masters of PD ;)
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

swamprat86

It looks like that this is a suggestion as part of the objectives.  The checklist doesn't specifically mention this as a requirement but further down when it gives more detail on the list items it mentions this, possibly as a method of gaining experience in the track.  So IMHO, it is (was) a suggestion, not a requirement.

Capt Rivera

at the top of that checklist it says:

QuoteTo complete the master rating of the senior program track, the member must:

Must =  requirement, NOT a suggestion....

EDIT: Had the KB ref # but it doesn't seem like you can do anything with it. O well, I'll post the answer ID or quote it, when it comes...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

swamprat86

I see where it is listed in the second checklist but it is not listed in the first.  Both state that these lists must be done.  Sounds like an inconsistancy that wasn't corrected.  If the course isn't offered, it shouldn't be mandated.  If you have completed everything else, I would send it up and contest it if it comes back.  I would also work this up the chain so that this can be clarified or corrected.

jimmydeanno

I thought I noted this in another thread but...

I completed my PD Master Rating earlier this year.  To fulfill the requirement for the Instructor Course, I directed TLC (Training Leaders of Cadets).  It is probably the closest thing that CAP has to any sort of "Instructor Training."

PD Shop at NHQ said it was an acceptable substitution. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I got my PD Master earlier this year as well. I called Jen Carroll at NHQ about the Instructor Course and was told since it did not exist it was not required.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 23, 2008, 03:51:41 PM
I thought I noted this in another thread but...

I completed my PD Master Rating earlier this year.  To fulfill the requirement for the Instructor Course, I directed TLC (Training Leaders of Cadets).  It is probably the closest thing that CAP has to any sort of "Instructor Training."

PD Shop at NHQ said it was an acceptable substitution. 

Really? I guess I don't see TLC as an Instructor Training Course. I sat through it, It did not teach me how to teach or train anyone in anything... Didn't even cover "the art of making a presentation" which is a fundamental part of any Instructor training Course (ITC).

To be honest, the one I went to..., I hope did not really meet requirements as all i got out of it was all the reasons why the cadet program is great....It was a waste of my time. I wanted to learn more about running/leading the cadet program, not being sold on why the cadet program was a good thing. [Anyone going to TLC probably knows that] - Complete waste of time... Someday Ill look over the instructors training materials in hopes of learning something.... but ... not today... For now, I have a check box marked, a sheet of paper, and nothing else for my time....

Just for the record, I don't think directing SLS, CLC or UCC would meet the intended requirement of a ITC either. I've been to and taught at military courses that could be considered ITCs... The basic one lasted 2 days and the full course lasted 10 days, maybe more. I think I have a decent understanding...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Capt Rivera

I'll hold my thoughts on the below until later. I'm gonna go work on something but I would love to know what you guys think of the below and the previous statements on this board...

QuoteCustomer (Joshua Rivera) - 09/23/2008 08:07 AM
The Master Level criteria checklist in CAPP 204 dated 15 Apr 1997 states that you must:
Plan, coordinate and implement an Instructor Training Course (ITC).

I've been told this requirement was lifted as the NHQ ITC didn't even pan out. I can find no written guidance on the removal of this requirement. I also can't find any guidance on what would meet this requirement.

Please advice me as to if this requirement exists and what you actually want for it. It would be helpful to know what ANYONE who has completed a the Master Level in Professional Development did to meet that requirement. I imagine at least one person has "earned" it since 15 Apr 1997. Thank you

QuoteDiscussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (KB Manager) - 09/23/2008 09:13 AM
The referenced self-study manual is not available but members may complete the master rating requirement by planning, coordinating, and implementing an Instructor Training Course in the unit or wing. This might be a course to prepare instructors for an SLS or other types of training that takes place in the squadron. You may bring in members with backgrounds in professional education to help conduct the course. The course must take place in order to achieve this requirement for the master rating. Unit commanders certify that individuals have satisfactorally completed this requirement for the master rating. Future plans call for an online instructor course to replace the referenced self-study manual.  The online course will be integrated into CAPP 204 when a new version is published.

See sections below from CAPP 204  SENIOR PROGRAM OFFICER TRAINING GUIDE  MASTER RATING

Plan a training course or activity to fit a local need. In order to check this box, the training activity must take place.

Plan, coordinate, and implement an Instructor Training Course. You may bring in members with backgrounds in professional education to help conduct the course. However, the course must take place in order to achieve this requirement for the master rating.

Planning, coordinating, and implementing the Instructor Training Course. The Instructor Training Course is a 1-day (8-hour) course prefixed with a self-study manual. Members may obtain the student and instructor materials from the HQ CAP/MSA by using a CAPF 8, Requisition for Publications and Blank Forms. Students for this course will need 4-6 weeks to complete the self-study portion of this course.

Please see knowledgebase answer(s) below for additional details.

Title: CAP Professional Development Specialty Training Program
URL: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=230&p_created=1012337874
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Capt Rivera

hmm... I'll just let this go... When the time comes, Ill submit and see what happens. If it gets rejected Ill ask fir guidance and examples...  :-\
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander