Value of airshows for recruiting

Started by RiverAux, September 01, 2007, 04:59:28 AM

floridacyclist

One thing that folks like at our displays is MS Flightsim. We try to have a couple of computers set up so kids (and grownups) can fly. If there's a line, we start them on final with approach power and tell them to land or crash..otherwise we let them fly around as much as they want.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Stonewall

Note:  I didn't read Jimmy's or anyone else's plan for running a CAP display at air shows, but I'm sure there are tons of "right ways" to do it.  As long as you choose one that works, or create one of your own, good on you.  I realize people will disagree with me on a lot of things, but hey, I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to share something that works.  Not saying your way doesn't work, but I've been going to air shows as a CAP member for 20 years.  I've learned something new at each one.  I've learned my most important lessons on how not to run a display by going "undercover" to air shows outside my area to check out how other CAP squadrons do it.

Anyway, I wrote this the other night at work and just now fired up my laptop again.   Take it or leave it....
------------------------------------------------

How I think a CAP booth at an air show should be managed.

I've participated in air shows here in Jacksonville, FL, Manassas, VA, and Andrews AFB, MD.  Manassas being the smallest of the three.

If you look at an air show at a place like Andrews, you're looking to see people from Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, and quite possibly Pennsylvania and West Virginia.  Andrews Composite Squadron is rather large, maybe bigger than average.  With that, I have never seen them attempt to handle the air show by themselves.  By handle, I don't mean helping with parking, but merely running a recruiting booth with the huge AF/CAP patch collection owned by Lt Col Schell (like 10,000 patches), a van, plane and some general recruiting supplies.  I've helped out and I've gone as a spectator.  We're' usually separated from our plane because the plane will be outside and the "booth" will be in a hangar.  If you ask me, that's not a good plan, but probably one outside of CAP's control.  At the airplane, I've generally seen seniors in gray pants with polo, or if we're lucky, a flight suit; hoping they aren't overweight and lacking military grooming standards.

Inside the hangar, it's varied from being top notch to a total embarrassment to CAP.  Usually though, it's probably just a tad bit below average.  It all depends on the project officer.  Is that PO heavy into ES, a non-military type who is a die hard AE fan, or a CP guru heavily involved in things like drill team and having a squadron full of Spaatzen.  If you ask me, it takes an even keeled PO with a lot of knowledge and interest in all aspects of CAP.

Let's start from the beginning, the planning phase.  Unless you just moved to your area and are clueless of the annual air show, you know darn well that an air show will be held around the same time each year.  With that, you check out the schedule online.  It's easy, go to the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds' website and see when they'll be there.  Put it on your six month calendar (I'm a fan of the 6 month vs. quarterly or annual).  You don't even have to plan anything; just put it on your calendar so people know about it 6 months in advance.

About 3 months out, talk to your state director (or whatever they're called today) and let them know that you want to put up a display at the air show, how big, what you want, etc.  If you can do this directly with the military base's air show coordinator, then by all means, work it directly.  I'd go for having a CAP plane (the biggest, newest, and cleanest), a CAP van (newest, cleanest, with the most comms gear), two tables, a back-drop with signage, large photos, and information like "quotes" of statistics, e.g. "CAP conducts 90% of all inland Search and Rescue in the United States" or "10% of students at service academies were cadets in CAP", something like that (I just came up with those).

Static Display

Plane:  Have at least one aircrew member at the plane at all times.  This can be a mission observer, pilot or scanner, but someone who knows more about the plane than the average Joe.  These aircrew members should be in flight suits.  I will not argue about uniforms.  You don't have to like "my way", I'm just telling you "my way".  I'd also throw a good looking knowledgeable cadet with the plane, in a flight suit if you can swing it.  Maybe someone who has soloed that can wear a set of wings.  I'd have a flyer with the aircrafts specs as well as a sheet with pictures and stats of all CAP aircraft, just to give the visitor as much info about CAP as possible.

Van:  Wash, wax, armorall, vacuum, and windex the van as if you were putting it on the showroom floor.  Have a "kit box" of sorts with equipment neatly organized.  Have your map file; not with a bunch of torn up maps, but some organized collection of all essential maps that you'd really use on a mission.  Have your gear box, tings like your crow bar, bolt cutters, hacksaw; basically a "B&E kit".  Open this stuff up for people to see, but assign 2 people, senior and cadet, to be solely responsible for the van at all times.  People steal at air shows!

Section off your table(s) in thirds, with more space allotted for ES because it's gear intensive.

AE:  Not a whole bunch you can do here, but maybe a model rocket or two, some AE projects from classes (small balloons with clothespins, fans, you know, AE junk).  Don't really know how to describe it, but all the stuff I see our cadets doing during their AE nights, they always seem to have toys and trinkets by the time they're done.

CP:  You'll have your cadets there.  That's your CP display.  Have a TV/VCR/DVD with a constantly rolling video.  I've had 5 different videos run over and over again.  It started with that NCSA video (the one with hawk), then it went to a video about the CP overall, then something else, then it ended with some 30 second commercial from Scott Mathews.  Sorry, don't know where these came from, but we had a tape that lasted more than an hour.  I'm sure there's a DVD or VHS tape you can get from NHQ.  Always have brochures.  NEVER RUN OUT!  Unless you have an endless supply, be selective of whom you give them to.  Obviously, if people want one from the stack on the table they'll take'em.  But don't give a senior member brochure to a 12 year old kid. Get my drift?  I'd get some sticky labels and put your wing's POC and website on the brochures, but only if you're the only wing you are recruiting for.  This wouldn't work well for National Capital Wing at the Andrews AFB air show.

ES:  This is where people screw up.  If you don't have an ES program at your squadron, don't fake it and try to set one up.  We put together a 72 hr and 24 hr kit for static display.  We've gone so far as to dress up a mannequin in BDUs and strapped 24 hr gear to it.  Yes, we used MILITARY GEAR!  Why?  Because that's what the entire squadron and wing used.  Plus, it's consistent.  We'd use a large ALICE pack filled up.  Didn't matter if the right stuff was in it, but we packed it full.  Taped all the loose straps down, "dummy corded" the e-tool and 2qt canteen, and basically squared it away.  The 24 hr gear was military issue LBE, again, packed full.  The ES table had a new (clean) poncho liner over top with gear spread out neatly for people to see, with labels identifying specialized equipment.  We'd have an L'Per, a few radios, practice ELT, maybe some marshalling batons, 120' of rappel rope, and a medic bag.  Not a cheesy medic bag, but a squared away pack, maybe the M3 Combat Lifesaver Bag opened so people can see inside.  Here, have your most squared away GTM qualified cadets, an EMT if you got one.  Of course, your most squared away senior member over watching the entire set up.

The People

Regardless of where you assign people, always make sure people get a break.  Rotate on/off at 2 hour intervals so people can go get food, enjoy the air show and more importantly, so the people working the display don't get burned out.  The way I've described this set-up would require as many as 15 to 20 people, cadets and senior.  You have to have seniors there because cadets don't know a lot of the "adult stuff" like homeland security, comms outside of ground team use, aircraft specs, professional development, etc. 

Uniforms

Here we go again, "you can't make me wear a military style uniform".   Here, uniformity really counts.  If you're going to have 2 seniors in polos and grays, have them working together, then rotate two guys in BDUs or flight suits together.  If you can help it, have BDU folks all in BDUs or all BBDUs.  I seriously wouldn't mix them up.  In reality, you could be at this display with 8 different uniforms, but I'd stick with flight suits for air crews, BDUs and short-sleeve blues.  Look at any military display, they'll have a work uniform like flight suit or BDUs, or be in their short-sleeve service option (class B style).  Everyone needs to have a good haircut.  A good haircut does not mean a high and tight.  Sure, they're allowed, but even Ranger Regiment doesn't require them anymore.  Plus, most civilian barbers don't know how to taper a high and tight.  Personally, I think they look ridiculous.  Although authorized in the non-military uniforms, I'd recommend against having a senior there that doesn't meet grooming regs.  In my mind, keeping things to a minimum will look better.

I've seen attempts by CAP to run a "money maker" like selling hamburgers and such, but I would never volunteer my squadron to do that.  Have the guys that look like crap-work that one.  One year, someone came up with the stupid idea of us (cadets and seniors) selling ice cream at the air show.  Walking around in shorts selling ice cream does nothing for us other than make money.  Air shows are too important of a recruiting tool and means of showing the general public who we are to be selling hotdogs and ice cream.

To do this right is hard work.  You can't let your guard down; always maintain your discipline and military bearing.  Not only are you trying to recruit people, but you want to teach the world about CAP.  Additionally, you want the RealMilitary™ to see that we aren't a bunch of wanna-bees "playing soldier", but our own entity with our own standards.  There aren't just military static displays; there are plenty of EMS type groups there too.  While your there, talk to them.  Network, sell CAP or maybe try and recruit them.  Same goes for military folks too.  Every air show I've been to I've had more than a few military folks come up to me and say "hey, I was in CAP".  Listen to their story, talk to them, and ask them if they have a kid who may want to join.  Even if your air show is in Daytona, FL and they flew down from Ft. Carson, CO to work the show, a new member in Colorado is still a new member in CAP.  If they go to a local unit in CO, how cool would it be if the went there saying "yeah, met some CAP folks at an air show in FL and they were very cool, polite, and professional".  That, in turn, will give the COWG folks something to live up to.  It's a cycle that needs to start with quality so it can end with quality.  This is how I think. 
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Well, here's some results of our recruiting effort at the Airshow.

We had 16 new cadets take applications last night.

We had 19 new seniors take applications last night.

We still have about 12 people who want to come that are away on business or getting their kids started in school, etc that have confirmed they will be coming starting in October...

But this get's me thinking about follow up.  We're talking about having great recruiting booths and such at the airshow - but what are we following it up with?

Are we having open houses shortly after?  Are we calling people back after the airshow to show we're actually interested in having them come out?  Are we putting plans in place to get new people up to speed...all the new members in the world won't help if there is nothing for them to show up to or make them feel welcome.

Just a thought...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Fifinella

How we did it this year (all new staff, steep learning curve):

Large backdrop, lotsa pictures, squadron website address prominently displayed.  Lots of handouts.  Booth right beside CAP -182 with G-1000 cockpit.  Aircrew at plane all weekend.  Cadets at booth all weekend.  Arranged visit at CAP Booth from Thunderbird #3 (former CAP cadet).  She spoke for about 25 minutes.

Pics of Thunderbird #3 visiting us on display at booth following day.  Coverage of the event on local ABC affiliate (including cadet interview).

Flyers for squadron Open House one week later distributed at booth.  Sign-up required for interested folks since we meet on a military installation (for base access).

Results: number of cadets in squadron doubled.

Note: There were additional cool opportunities for the cadets as well - attending the performers' brief each morning, watching the Thunderbirds' practice show from show center on the flightline Friday afternoon.  We got lucky on some of those (right place, right time, know someone who knows someone...but now we know what to ask for next year.)

Definitely assist in any way possible (we did trash detail this year).  It's great PR, great community service, and you never know who's watching and gaining a favorable impression of CAP.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RiverAux

One thing that the CG Aux has that maybe CAP shoud emulate for airshows is a guide for putting on these sorts of events: http://www.auxadept.org/downloads/BoatShows.pdf

RiverAux

By the way, anyone got a good link to a web page that has a good current listing of upcoming airshows and air events?  A little web browsing was not very fruitful for me.  Thanks.

Brad

I do know that every year South Carolina has the MayFly Airshow here in Florence, usually the first weekend in May. Shaw AFB is just an hour or so up the road, so we get a lot of fly-ins from them; among other things Shaw has the largest combat F-16 detachment, the 20th Fighter Wing. Plus there's a good amount of antiques and acrobatic planes. I've never gone myself except once when I was a little kid. The Thunderbirds were there though, I remember that much.

Our squadron will likely be doing something with it, among other reasons seeing as how we're on airport property anyways, heh. ELT work, etc. etc. Should be fun.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

ThorntonOL

This Saturday there is going to be an Airshow going on at the airport our group meets at and our unit along with one or two other units from our group will be there. I'm not fully sure what we are doing as i'll probably be at the recruiting booth. Now we only get usually 1-4 actual cadets from these events but occasionally like this past year we got almost double that amount of cadets.
So it just depends on the event and weather.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

mikeylikey

^ Get around, move around, hand junk out.  Don't be the group of CAP members that just sits at a table all day waiting for others to walk up.  BE visible, social, and "in your face"!!

Thats how I work, and I usually end up getting the most response back from people that way.

(Not saying you don't do what I suggest, but the vast majority of Air Show recruiting, is just "sit at table, wait for man or boy or girl or lady to walk up, hand them a pen, and a response card")  <---- Too bad it was not that easy  ;)
What's up monkeys?

IceNine

We work line security and as wing walkers when we "do" airshows.

We've found that if you get in good with the announcer he will point you out every so often, We also worked it where we presented the colors twice a day.

We helped with cleanup at the big food tent, and got them to put a sign up that we were some of the sponsors

Put a big poster on the golf cart that we used to deliver water

Make them ask the question where are they at, and what are they.  And you've fought half the battle.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JohnKachenmeister

Funny, but true, story:

At the Titusville-Cocoa airshow here in Florida, the promoters put our CAP recruiting tent across the ramp from the Air National Guard recruiter.

I was over at the ANG tent trying to steal some free stuff, and chatting up with the recruiters when a young man came up and expressed an interest in joining the Air Guard.

The recruiter asked him what he wanted to do, and the guy siad, enthusiastically, "I want to FLY!"

The recruiter then pointed at our tent and said, "Then you better go over there and join the CAP... they do a helluva lot more flying than we do!"
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Televisions are almost useless in bright sun, as is music / sound unless its at a level which will annoy you neighbors.

With that said, the USAF has a dual-display Guitar Hero system running and it was very popular.  No idea what GH has to do with the USAF, but it had young people in the booth making positive contact.

I love the idea of an active beacon demonstration - maybe even letting potential members try it out.

The plane is always a draw, especially if its a G1000 with an APU and things all lit up.  In a lot of cases our plane is the only one the kids are allowed to sit in and get a pic.

Getting next to the USAF booth is a big help and credibility filler - in a lot of cases the USAF will point people not suit for active duty to CAP.

I agree with the above, however, that general awareness is boig benefit of a good show.

"That Others May Zoom"

wingnut55

OK

You tell the the Jive, but why can't we keep them?? when the jive talk is blowing in the wind, and the Mission Pilot has waited 3 months to get reimbursed for a mission, or sat on a ramp for 6 hours after calling off from work. Or see a Cluster bunk of a mission. Now what do you say.

go out and recruit more cannon fodder. We have a retention problem that is not being addressed, you can't keep yelling (here come the Taliban) for long, or go on 30 elts (malfunctioning) and not one violation of FCC or FAA regs being handed out, but "The Man" stand over you and threatens to ground the entire crew and make you pay a thousand dollars or more if you land badly, in a bad cross wind, Or have you heard that if you die in CAWG on an A mission and your not in Nomex, your family will not get paid. or you wreck your car on a ground DF your screwed because the CAP or the USAF will not pay for getting your car fixed. or maybe unless you want to pay $300 for a new flight suit, by a surplus on ebay for 90 that was obtained for $5.00 from DRMHO surplus, but the CAP will not spend one dime to buy flight suits for it own Flight crews, indeed we supply most of the required Safety equipment at our cost, when national could save us hundreds of thousands.

But I do this because my father did, I am a Patriot, I believe in my fellow Aircrews, CAP has an Honored tradition. But even patriots suffer from burn out! give me 15 more years.

wingnut55

Oh wingnut55, yOUR SUCH A ham :clap:

ThorntonOL

Well the Airshow went well, just have to wait to see who comes and visits the unit.
Only real problem was the weather forcast that came in close to the planned end.
didn't do anything until long past the scheduled ending but due to the forcast it was ended early.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

jimmydeanno

Quote from: ThorntonOL on June 23, 2008, 06:08:21 PM
Well the Airshow went well, just have to wait to see who comes and visits the unit.
Only real problem was the weather forcast that came in close to the planned end.
didn't do anything until long past the scheduled ending but due to the forcast it was ended early.

Is there an actual event planned for those who do come from the airshow or is it just going to be handled as people wander in?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

majdomke

I'd like to see people post pics of their airshow displays so we can all learn something new...

Fifinella

Disclaimer: I couldn't participate this year, so I don't have a lot of details, but the squadron got to sell the official air show programs for the Barksdale Air Show this year, and made $900.  I'd call that a pretty good benefit for working an air show.

Here's a couple of photos of the booth from 2007:

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

majdomke

Great stuff... what did you use for materials? I have a 10X10 white canopy, 6 ft table with black cover and some folding chairs. I hang a 6X3 banner up in the back of the canopy towards the top so everyone can see it. I then bought a navy blue tri-fold presentation board and pasted some popular pics along with bullet points. I'll post a pic next week after I use it this weekend. Any specifics are always appreciated... even costs if that can help. Thank you.

Fifinella

We borrowed the display board from Wing.  The photos we laminated and attached with velcro - it had adhesive on one side, and we cut it to whatever size we needed.  In 2008, we even velcroed some of our model rockets to the display board.  You can use alphabet stickers for lettering.  And the plane profile we cut out of foam core.  We also used the recruiting posters you can order from National for free.  At least one 6 foot table, and some plexiglass to hold down the pamphlets, flyers, etc. so they don't blow away.  If you have more than one table, a table-top display board is also nice (we use a DDR drug display).  Folding chairs for the SMs, LOTS of water in a cooler, tons of sunscreen, snacks, wet wipes.  Clipboards with sign-up sheets for recruiting, including place on form for recruits' contact information.  Free pamphlets & handouts from National.  Some photos from National, but as many cool local photos as you can get - rocketry, ES training, squadron morale trips, Encampment, O-flts, etc.  Actual model rockets, ES gear, etc. for displays, but only if you have enough people to watch them closely.  Chart of cadet ranks.  Most importantly, squadron website address prominently displayed.  Canopy is good for you, but don't bury the table so far back that folks are shy to come in - just outside the canopy/tent is best.  Sandbags & rope to hold down canopy/tent/display board "legs".  A CAP van is a nice place to secure things, and draws the eyes.  We usually set up next to a "glass" CAP -182, which also draws the crowds.  2 aircrew per shift is good.  Make sure your workers sign up for specific shifts, and you have their contact information with you.  icoms can also be useful for the staff, if they're going to be separated at all.  Good luck!
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753