Main Menu

CAP Accomplishments

Started by cpuckett, August 18, 2013, 12:46:51 AM

cpuckett

What do your CAP accomplishments mean to you?

Майор Хаткевич

Something better than going out drinking with friends, watching tv, playing video games. I get to give back to cadets just like other SMs gave back to me.

RogueLeader

A way for me to serve my country when I could not serve in the manner that I desired.  Now its to serve, and lead, not only my cadets, but to my senior members in my unit.  I also desire to help people that I will likely never meet by participating in SAR, both ground and air.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Woodsy

There are many members that do it for the awards, uniform etc.  There are members who could care less about the awards and bling.  Then there are members like me who are in the middle.  Would I do it without the awards?  Of course, but as long as the exist, I want them.  I make sure I have every ribbon and attachment I'm entitled to, even though I rarely wear ribbons (only with service dress blues, which I wear maybe 5 times a year.)

My bosses know that I better get a shiny new plaque at wing conference each year to keep me happy :)  It's nice to be recognized for all of the hard work, time and effort I put into running the Wing's (big and getting bigger) PA directorate. 

Awards aside, my biggest accomplishments in CAP can't really be measured.  It's the personal satisfaction I feel when I close the doors and head for the car after a Wing PA Academy that went well.  It's the feeling of success, though often accompanied with remorse, when I finally walk up next to a crashed plane after searching for hours.  It's knowing that I'm helping make a hard time more bearable when talking to next of kin.  It's knowing that one day, everything will be more than worth it when I walk up to a crash site, check a pulse, and actually feel something.  If I'm ever able to in any way help save a life through CAP, that will be my biggest accomplishment. 

Garibaldi

I think I said it once before, in another thread, but when a cadet takes the time to email me and tell me that I made a difference in their life, that's worth more to me than a plaque, certificate, ribbon, or badge.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AngelWings

They mean getting more respect. I need to promote to C/2LT to get enlistment benefits soon. That'll mean having drill weekend be profitable for me versus being barely enough for fuel money.

cpuckett

@Woodsy That was definitely the type of answer I wanted to hear. It's blatantly obvious you know what being a member of CAP is about!

Chappie

I have been a member of CAP since 1996 and with all the certificates/awards that have been presented I could probably wall paper at least three houses.   While these may look nice either hanging on the "love me wall" or in a couple of binders in the filing cabinet or displayed as "bling" on the service/mess dress, not all CAP awards are presented in certificates/plaques/ribbons.   

When I think of CAP accomplishments,  I think of all the great training that has been offered that has enriched my personal and professional life and the opportunities to put that training into practice at squadron, group, wing, region and even national levels.  Being able to serve the members of CAP and serve my country is accomplishment enough.

"There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well."  Walter Reuther
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)