Requests for waiver of citizenship criteria

Started by bigdawg, October 17, 2012, 11:26:39 PM

bigdawg

Gentlemen,

I need to send a "Requests for waiver of citizenship criteria" letter up the chain for two cadets.  I have searched everywhere but have not find a template or a letter that I can use as a sample.  Is there anyone out there that would like to share a sample letter so I can process these two membership applications.

Thank you,

Ken

SarDragon

If they have Green Cards, just send in a copy with their membership application. That's all I had to send in for the last foreign national I signed up.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

1.  The following perspective cadet requires a citzenship waiver.

2.  Name
     Citeizenship
     Type of Visa: (student, work, permanat residient, etc)
     Alien Registration Number:

3.  I have verfied the required document.

4.  If you have any questions contact me at  (phone number) or (E-mail).

Signature block.

Send it attached to the membership form.

That is more or less what I did when my wife joined (Japanese citizen).

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on October 17, 2012, 11:37:27 PM
If they have Green Cards, just send in a copy with their membership application. That's all I had to send in for the last foreign national I signed up.
Green Card holders don't need a waiver, they just need to submit a copy of their I-551 (the technical term for the card).

If the person is in a "temporary" status, then they'll need a copy of their passport and I-94 for sure, and a fairly simple request.  Odds are, someone in a non-permanent status will not have an "Alien Registration Number", or A#.  Those are typically assigned as part of the LPR process.

When I joined, I was an L-1, now I'm a permanent resident so the waiver is no longer necessary.

Dad2-4

A few years back I was starting an in-school flight and had a few kids with green cards. If that's the case make a copy and send it with the application.
I had to raise my eyebrows and have a quiet personal counseling session as to why he couldn't join when one very motivated kid confided in me that his his family was in the US illegally.

JeffDG

Oh...

One other thing with children of people in temporary statuses.  Most of them will not have (and are not eligible for) Social Security numbers...you need to be in a work-authorized status for that.  Also applies to spouses of people in the US in most statuses (like H1B for example...the spouse has an H4 status, and is not permitted to work).

Just to summarize:

Green Card:  I-551 - No waiver required, check the box on the form that says not US citizen, attach a copy of the I-551.  A note, the I-551 will likely have an expiration date.  That's for the card, not the legal status.  Green Card holders can stay in the US indefinitely.

Other Status:  F1 (student visa) should have an I-20 (I think) indicating the status.
                        Others (L1, L2, H1, H4, TN1, etc) should have an I-94 in their passport.

Copy the passport, and send that, along with a request for a waiver (waiver approved at NHQ) up the chain of command.  There's no form for it, just a simple request.  Note the expiration of status, it is different than the I-551, it's an expiration of the status, and in many cases, it's a hard-and-fast deadline (L1 for example is a max of 5 or 7 years depending on subtype)

bigdawg

Very interesting gentlemen,

So all I have from the cadet is the following:

1. its father's I-797 Notice of Action approving an "Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker"
2. midle school ID

So am I right to say that he does not have enough documentation for a Citizenship waiver? Also, is it right for me to think that there must be another document stating that there is a process in the works to define status of this young man?

Майор Хаткевич

I came to the US on a green card. The kid should have a passport and he should have SOME sort of visa. Not unheard of people coming to vacation here and sticking around however. Dad may be legal, but the kid may not be. Typically you don't bring your kid with you on a work visa.

Eclipse

It doesn't look like either of them are, or at least can document, here permanently enough (yet) to be able to join.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: bigdawg on October 18, 2012, 06:26:40 PM
Very interesting gentlemen,

So all I have from the cadet is the following:

1. its father's I-797 Notice of Action approving an "Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker"
2. midle school ID

So am I right to say that he does not have enough documentation for a Citizenship waiver? Also, is it right for me to think that there must be another document stating that there is a process in the works to define status of this young man?
OK...

That seems like that I-797 is for his father's I-140, right?  If so, that's not sufficient.  An approved I-140 does not confer upon the beneficiary any right to remain in the United States.

Now, if the cadet has an I-797 showing receipt of an I-485 Application to Adjust Status, that's a different matter.  A timely filed I-485 permits the beneficiary (in this case the dependent has their own) to remain in the United States until such time as the I-485 is ajudicated by USCIS, which can actually take years...they can also file for an Employment Authorization Document to permit work, but that's not directly relevant.

What status is the cadet's father in?  H1B, L1, TN-1, other?  The cadet's passport should have an I-94 with some kind of derivative status from his/her father.  If the father is in H1B, the cadet will have H4 status.  L1 will be an L2, TN1 will be a TD1.  The I-94 is a little card that is stapled into the passport itself.  If it was issued at the border, it will be a white card with a stamp on it.  If it was issued directly by USCIS (like a renewal), it will be a greenish watermark paper, but won't have a stamp most likely.

JeffDG

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 18, 2012, 06:45:11 PM
I came to the US on a green card. The kid should have a passport and he should have SOME sort of visa. Not unheard of people coming to vacation here and sticking around however. Dad may be legal, but the kid may not be. Typically you don't bring your kid with you on a work visa.
Almost all work visas provide a derivative status for dependents and spouses.  If on an H1B, they are entitled to an H4.  L1/L2 are the same, as are TN1/TD1.

I came to the US on an L1, and my wife and daughter came with me on L2.  My wife was even entitled to work in L2 status (which is unusual for derivative status to confer employment authorization...but L2 does so).

Майор Хаткевич

Typically to get a work visa you need to prove ties to your homeland, "guaranteeing" you will self deport when the visa runs out. That's my E.Europe experience.

JeffDG

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 18, 2012, 06:51:51 PM
Typically to get a work visa you need to prove ties to your homeland, "guaranteeing" you will self deport when the visa runs out. That's my E.Europe experience.
Typically, that's correct.

However H1B and L1 are "dual intent" visas, which means that you can maintain those statuses even if you intend to apply for permanent residency.  Most other (there may be one or two other exceptions) forfeit your temporary status the moment you apply for permanent residency.

bigdawg

Gentlemen,

This is great information! I can definitely work on this now.

Thank all of you for your guidance. 

Ken

Майор Хаткевич

You learn something new everyday. The very little experience I've had working with these things lately include green card apps for the most part.

JeffDG

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 18, 2012, 07:22:02 PM
You learn something new everyday. The very little experience I've had working with these things lately include green card apps for the most part.
4 of the last 5 years slogging through the morass that is USCIS...GC received April of last year.  1,290 days until I'm eligible to naturalize.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JeffDG on October 18, 2012, 07:27:06 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 18, 2012, 07:22:02 PM
4 of the last 5 years slogging through the morass that is USCIS...GC received April of last year.  1,290 days until I'm eligible to naturalize.

GC in Dec 2001. Not able to apply until Feb 2008 (turning 18). Why? Can't swear allegiance until then (but enlistment oath at 17 is fine).

Finally spent the $600+ for the privilege of becoming a citizen and was sworn in with my mom on 5 May 2010.

JeffDG

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 18, 2012, 08:20:52 PM
GC in Dec 2001. Not able to apply until Feb 2008 (turning 18). Why? Can't swear allegiance until then (but enlistment oath at 17 is fine).

Finally spent the $600+ for the privilege of becoming a citizen and was sworn in with my mom on 5 May 2010.
Only substantive difference for me, CAP-wise, is I can't sign up for CD qualification.  Which is fine, as my wing doesn't have an active CD program at the moment...at least not that anyone can talk to me about! >:D

jimmydeanno

Awesome, more regulatory stuff that our local leaders need to be able to navigate through.  I don't think the majority of our leadership has the regulatory knowledge to be able to navigate through immigration laws.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JeffDG

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 18, 2012, 08:49:18 PM
Awesome, more regulatory stuff that our local leaders need to be able to navigate through.  I don't think the majority of our leadership has the regulatory knowledge to be able to navigate through immigration laws.
Actually, the rule for local folks is pretty simple:

Citizen:  OK
Green Card:  OK
Everyone Else:  Waiver

National will kick back a submission and tell you what they need for a waiver.  I'm just saying from experience, they will want to see an I-94 and a passport.