Main Menu

AFIADL A4/6 Question

Started by SAR-EMT1, August 25, 2011, 12:29:37 AM

SAR-EMT1

Just wanted to pop on and ask two quick questions about the Air University courses.

1) Heard a rumor that CAP members can no longer take the Air War College Correspondence course. True ? If so why?

2) Are CAP members now eligible to get the Master degree out of ACSC ?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

AirDX

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 25, 2011, 12:29:37 AM
1) Heard a rumor that CAP members can no longer take the Air War College Correspondence course. True ? If so why?
I have not heard that.  The current AU catalog still includes CAP Lt Cols and above in the eligibility list.

Edit: I e-mailed AWC to ask.  Should have an answer tomorrow.
2) Are CAP members now eligible to get the Master degree out of ACSC ?
No.  AD/AFR/ANG majors/major selects only, plus civilians in grade GS-12 and above.  Only a max of 150 civilians/year will receive a quota.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

SARDOC

This Rumor is probably based on the fact that Air University recent denied a few Civil Air Patrol Members from taking the Squadron Officer School because they didn't possess an accredited Bachelor's degree.  ACSC and AWC also require a Bachelor's degree...but looking they still take Civil Air Patrol.

As Far as getting the Master's Degree...that's an In-Residence program not open to CAP.  Do the Correspondence course and transfer it to another school...it's worth a good amount of credit if the school will accept it.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: SARDOC on August 25, 2011, 03:59:30 AM
As Far as getting the Master's Degree...that's an In-Residence program not open to CAP.  Do the Correspondence course and transfer it to another school...it's worth a good amount of credit if the school will accept it.
There is a DL masters program, http://www.au.af.mil/au/dlmasters.asp
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

AirDX

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on August 25, 2011, 05:02:25 AM
There is a DL masters program, http://www.au.af.mil/au/dlmasters.asp

As I said above, it's open only to AD/AFR/ANG and select DAF civilians.  Not to CAP.

Tim Medeiros

I was commenting directly in regards to the "that's an In-Residence program" comment, I did not say anything about it being open to CAP or not.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

AirDX

The e-mail I sent to AWC bounced - I'm not sure if it's their e-mail address that's bad or if the out bound server here at Hickam was acting up (as it frequently does).  I'll post an answer as soon as I get one.

DrJbdm

Here's the information on credit recommendation from ACE (American Council on Education)

AIR COMMAND AND STAFF COLLEGE DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAM
   (Air Command and Staff Nonresident College)

Credit Recommendation: In the graduate degree category, 6 semester hours in military history, 3 in regional studies, 6 in defense resources management, and 6 in national and international securities studies (5/04)(5/04).

That comes out to 21 hours of graduate credit towards a Masters program. A typical Masters program is between 32 - 36 hrs depending on Thesis or non Thesis Capstone course, ect.  That course alone puts you well into the envelope of being able to complete a Masters degree with a sharp decrease in cost.

As for the old ECI-13 course that CAP unfortunately took away, here is what ACE had to say about it.

AF-1406-0132
CIVIL AIR PATROL OFFICER

Course Number: 00013.

Location: Air Force Institute for Advanced Distributed Learning, Maxwell AFB, AL.

Length: Maximum, 52 weeks.

Exhibit Dates: 1/02–Present.

Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of the course, the student will have knowledge of Air Force and Civil Air Patrol history, mission, organization, customs, courtesies, and agency identification system. The student will be able to communicate effectively, when speaking and writing, with a professional level of confidence and accuracy; influence and direct people in the organization's mission; have knowledge of group dynamics; understand the importance and effectiveness of goal setting to an organization; and building a learning team.

Instruction: Learner presentations, lecture, and computer-based training. Topics include Air Force history, mission and organization; Civil Air Patrol history, mission and organization; Air Force customs and courtesies; Civil Air Patrol guidelines; code numbering systems; communications fundamentals; barriers to effective communication; speaking and writing; modern information systems; the concept of leadership qualities, principles, techniques and styles; the leader and the group; and officership and the leader.

Credit Recommendation: In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 2 semester hours in communication skills and 1 in leadership. In the upper-division baccalaureate category, 2 semester hours in military history (10/07)(10/07).

Not bad at all for those who wanted a quick and easy way to earn some college credit for free! Unfortunately, for those who missed out on the ECI-13 have only the Squadron Officer School for a similar issuance of college credit.

As for using this credit, ACE has a transcript service that for a small fee will create an official transcript that you can have sent to the University of your choice, of course it is up to that particular university if they will accept the credit, largely it depends on the baccalaureate or graduate degree that you are seeking and the amount of transfer credit the university allows.

SAR-EMT1

This Rumor is probably based on the fact that Air University recent denied a few Civil Air Patrol Members from taking the Squadron Officer School because they didn't possess an accredited Bachelor's degree.  ACSC and AWC also require a Bachelor's degree...but looking they still take Civil Air Patrol.

CAP members are ineligible for SOS and the others if we don't possess a BS or BA ?
Well... SHOOT. All I have is an AS.

There IS a Correspondence version of ACSC that provides a Masters. That's the course I was referring to.  I already know we cannot complete the on-site course at Maxwell.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DrJbdm

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 25, 2011, 10:24:42 PM

Not sure all of that information is correct, one of the guys in my squadron and a good Friend of mine has completed SOS, he does not possess any college degree. Granted the work was kinda difficult since SOS is designed as a post baccalaureate course of study and requires baccalaureate level work.

You may be completely on the mark as far as ACSC and AWC are concerned since all of the work is Graduate level work. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that Air University would require a regionally accredited bachelors degree to be eligible to take those courses.

arajca

CAP members are ineligible for SOS and the others if we don't possess a BS or BA ?

There IS a Correspondence version of ACSC that provides a Masters. That's the course I was referring to.  I already know we cannot complete the on-site course at Maxwell.
Actually, in theory, you can. You just have to be able to fund yourself for the entire class and there has to be space available. Having said that, I haven't heard of any CAP members who have done this.

AirDX

I squeaked in under the wire for SOS - I'm working on it both for credit on the job and for the college credit - I'm still working on a BS after all these years.

Again we, CAP, are NOT eligible for the masters degree-producing ACSC DL course.  Maybe some day.  When they rolled it out, only military officers were eligible.  A year or so ago they opened ONE of the three concentrations, the Joint Warfare Concentration, to a limited number (150/year) of DAF civilians.  The other two, Leadership and Operational Warfare, are still open only to AD/AFR/ANG captains. That's where it stands now.  It would be an incrediby sweet benefit if they opened Joint Warfare up to CAP majors.   

AirDX

Quote from: DrJbdm on August 25, 2011, 10:37:29 PM
  Not sure all of that information is correct, one of the guys in my squadron and a good Friend of mine has completed SOS, he does not possess any college degree. Granted the work was kinda difficult since SOS is designed as a post baccalaureate course of study and requires baccalaureate level work.

They just changed the requrement within the last year.  I signed up for SOS without a BS/BA.  A few months after that the restriction was implemented.

AirDX

Found another e-mail address for AWC/DL - they've gone home for the day, so no answer until at least tomorrow.  I'll give them a call if I don't see an answer on the e-mail tomorrow.

SARDOC

Quote from: DrJbdm on August 25, 2011, 10:37:29 PM

You may be completely on the mark as far as ACSC and AWC are concerned since all of the work is Graduate level work. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that Air University would require a regionally accredited bachelors degree to be eligible to take those courses.

That's the information directly from CAP University.  If you check some of the previous threads on this you will see that even SOS requires a BA/BS now.

DrJbdm

I stand corrected, I learn something new everyday. Thanks for the updated info.

JC004

Quote from: AirDX on August 25, 2011, 11:03:30 PM
Found another e-mail address for AWC/DL - they've gone home for the day, so no answer until at least tomorrow.  I'll give them a call if I don't see an answer on the e-mail tomorrow.

Don't go asking about the ACSC/AWC so we can give CAP time to figure out how it's going to deal with this issue with AU.  Don't want to get CAP members blocked on ACSC/AWC while they're trying to figure it out.  From what I heard, they were trying to work on a plan for this issue so CAP members would have as many opportunities as possible.

AirDX

Quote from: JC004 on August 27, 2011, 05:48:10 PM
Quote from: AirDX on August 25, 2011, 11:03:30 PM

Don't go asking about the ACSC/AWC so we can give CAP time to figure out how it's going to deal with this issue with AU.  Don't want to get CAP members blocked on ACSC/AWC while they're trying to figure it out.  From what I heard, they were trying to work on a plan for this issue so CAP members would have as many opportunities as possible.

Figure out what issue?  Who's "they"?

JC004

I understand from some of my various national stuff over the past 3 months that some people at the national level were to work on the issue of CAP member eligibility for these courses with AU.

I'm saying just don't rattle ACSC and AWC until they work out a long-term thing.

AirDX

Quote from: JC004 on August 27, 2011, 07:38:34 PM
I understand from some of my various national stuff over the past 3 months that some people at the national level were to work on the issue of CAP member eligibility for these courses with AU.

I'm saying just don't rattle ACSC and AWC until they work out a long-term thing.

No rattling involved - just asking a yes or no question.