Main Menu

Struggles Joining CAP

Started by KWRFLL, February 11, 2011, 04:38:05 AM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: KWRFLL on February 24, 2011, 04:09:11 AM
Once again I am providing an update on my progress, or lack thereof.  I attended another squadron meeting this week.  The same squadron that seemed welcoming last week were far less so this week.  This was my second week of attendance and again there was nothing planned for the senior members.  I literally sat for 1 1/2 hours listening to the person in charge tell stories about their experiences flying corporate aircraft.  Several members made eye contact around the table but did not engage.  This was after listening to the person in charge disparage the work of neighboring squadrons and belittle the leadership just above the squadron commander and on up the chain of command.  Some comments made would be considered sexist in my place of business and would at the very least, earn you a trip to the Human Resources Department.  I overheard one perspective member stating their disappointment with this person and that they had decided not to join based on the unprofessional behavior witnessed.

Even still I decided to inquire about the ever elusive fingerprint cards, and once again, I was told that no one had any.  This time I was told the squadron commander, who was absent, was the only one with the cards.  I have been researching the Civil Air Patrol and its mission on the internet now for 2 months.  As I read these forums and information all over the internet, I believe and am inspired by the mission of CAP, but I'm starting to believe I am not going to find it in my area. 

I will visit this squadron one more time before I decide to move on to a third.  At this point I sincerely hope that some CAP commanders are reading this thread and determining ways to make their squadrons more inviting.  People who wish to volunteer their time, money, and expertise should not have to work to get into the organization, rather the organization should recruit to increase its membership and mission capability.  Thanks for reading and the encouragement.   I will follow up again next week.

I would certainly encourage you to not give up on CAP.  There are 1500 or so separate units, all have different personalities.  However, we seem to be able to do what we're supposed to.  If the organization was really that messed up, I doubt that we'd have so many people that have been members for 10+ 20+ 30+ 40+ and even 50+ years.

CAP is really a wonderful organization, and in many ways I wish that you were local to my unit - because I think you would join immediately.  Try and see if there is another unit you can join.  Even if it is a bit jacked up, you can still self-propel yourself into being an active, productive member despite your local command deficiencies. 

I know I'd be willing to answer whatever questions you might have.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill