Main Menu

Struggles Joining CAP

Started by KWRFLL, February 11, 2011, 04:38:05 AM

KWRFLL

I recently decided to pursue joining the local CAP squadron near my home.  I have been looking for a way to give something back to my community and belong to something larger than myself.  As I read on line about CAP and being a USAF veteran, I thought this would be the perfect choice for me.

After contacting the Group commander I found the location of the local squadron and set off to attend the first meeting.  Upon arrival I greeted some gentlemen in the parking lot, none of which approached me.  I told them that I was interested in joining.  Unfortunately they said the meeting for seniors had been moved that night and that I could come back next week.

The next week I returned.  Once again I was not greeted by anyone.  No one questioned my presence in the building as cadets were forming for a promotion ceremony.  I walked right into the meeting and observed the entire ceremony without one person wondering who I was or why I was there.

I greeted the commander after the ceremony and told him that I a prospective member that had been in touch via email with him.  He simply told me to go to the senior meeting room and join the others.  I did just that where again, no one greeted me or questioned my presence.  I listened to an informative briefing about a temporary no fly zone, after which I learned who the personnel officer was for the squadron.  I approached the officer who was very cordial and informed.  He told me that he had no finger print cards with him that week, but asked the commander to bring some the following week.

Eager to learn and get started, I completed the Fundamentals course from the CAP website, and the FEMA IS-100,200,700 & 800 courses as well as 240.  This is as far as I could go without becoming a member.

I returned a third time to discover he that no one was at the meeting place.  A squadron member also showed up at the normal scheduled place.  Together we discovered through my cell phone internet connection that the meeting had been moved.  It was posted on the website just hours before the meeting.  I know this because I had checked the website the night before to be sure the meeting wasn't cancelled.  The CAP member led me across town to the airport FBO where the meeting was being held.

Once again as you might imagine, I walked into the meeting room, unquestioned, un-greeted, and generally unimpressed at this point.  I waited until the meeting was over to approach the personnel officer to inquire about the fingerprint card.  I stood for 30 minutes while he explained over and over again to a CAP LT why she had to follow the steps for promotion as outlined and could not complete requirements in the order of her choosing. 

Finally the squadron commander came and asked, "are we keeping you?"  I explained that I was waiting to see about getting a fingerprint card so I could complete my application packet.  He said that he didn't have time to bring any that night due to a personal errand.

Why did I tell you all this you ask?  Bottom line is that I want to join CAP for me.  I want to serve and give something back to the community, but the squadron does not seem very welcoming at all.  The next closest squadron is a long drive away and it would be hard to serve at that location.  What would you suggest to someone who has had this experience?  For an all volunteer organization, it would seem to me that they would be excited anytime a new person wanted to join.

Very discouraged.

cap235629

I would look at the other Squadron even if it is far away. If they are more welcoming, maybe try to make as many meetings as you can and be as active as you can taking into consideration your geographical limitations.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

niferous

I would actually just email the commander this post.  Of course change it where needed to make it gramatically correct.  I understand not wanting to make a splash but he has to understand that a prospective member was not made to feel welcome and maybe he will take action to correct the problem. 
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Squadrons can be as different as chalk and cheese.

I've seen some (senior squadrons) that were little more than Air Force-funded flying clubs and wanted nothing to do with the rest of CAP - cadets, AE, ground teams, etc. and if you weren't a pilot you were "excess baggage."

I've seen others with a handful of really dedicated members and a greater number of those who show up now and then if they've nothing better to do, and rarely promote beyond 1st Lt.

I've seen others who have a "clique" mentality that is straight out of high school - and those are the senior members!

And there are others who fit the bill of what a CAP squadron should be - active, willing to welcome new people, etc.

Keep looking!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Thrashed

I have had similair experiences. I tried to join CAP three different times in three different locations. I gave up until now. I found a squadron that I could contribute to. It's not perfect, but I keep trying to make it better.

Save the triangle thingy

Spaceman3750

CAP is a very local experience. Some squadrons are great, others aren't. You don't have to be a member of the squadron closest to you (I'm not), look around at other squadrons and see where you fit in.

Kojack

Wanna relocate to Nevada?  I'm POSITIVE I can find you a squadron! ;) ;D

Major Lord

I recruited a Medical Doctor, Prior Canoe-club officer,  for our Squadron, and when he came as a guest with me, he was well treated. When I stopped showing regularly at meetings, the SQ dropped the ball, and my new recruit probably also has a bad feeling about CAP. The people who could /should have answered his E-mail and Telephone calls  were just not available, through no fault of their own own. It was their fault that they did not set up an alternative P.O.C. at the SQ. We probably lose as many good members from indifference as we do from the normal dose of poultry excrement we sometimes drop on people. I hope the poster will accept my apology on behalf of CAP, and try again, or find a more amenable Squadron.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RiverAux

Unfortunately some units don't have a very good idea on best recruiting practices, hence the terrible experience you had.  I agree that it may be wise to check out some other squadrons if any are near enough to be worth considering. 

Major Lord

When I first attended CAP meetings ( to bring my son, now a former Spaatzen and USAF combat veteran) the Squadron was like a bunch of Hare Krishnas with their recruiting practices. After about my third meeting, I was hit in the back of the head with a sap, chloroformed, and woke up while being fingerprinted and fitted for BDU's! ( Well, that's the way I remember it!) It did teach me the sound principal of sincerely asking anyone who came as a parent if they would like to join, and making it happen if they showed any interest. ( It actually makes getting on and off a military base a little easier)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

peter rabbit

KWRFLL - what state are you in?

KWRFLL

I am not looking to get anyone upset over my experience.  I can tell you I am from Texas, but I do not wish to divulge the group or squadron in a public setting.  I'm relieved and saddened at the same time to read through these posts and discover that this behavior is not unique to the squadron I approached.  I have not yet made up my mind as to my next course of action.  I do appreciate all the posts and advice.  I intend to post a follow up next week.

Nolan Teel

I command a unit in Dallas.   Give me 1 hour of your time and Ill have you in! Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Some units are better then others in the recruiting area. If theres anything I can do to help you out let me know.

RADIOMAN015

It's really too bad this happens :-[   HOWEVER, back in 1993 basically the same thing happen to me; showed up at the unit was put in a room and no one really talked with me.  I think I tried one other week and than just felt that IF they didn't want to spend time with me perhaps the program wasn't worth joining.   So 14 years later  I decided to give it another try and found a completely different attitude that still exists in the unit today.  We welcome and talk with all prospective members BUT are also realistic with them on what they can expect.  Some do not return (e.g. pilots looking for free flying time) (Paramedics/EMTs thinking they will be saving lives on our ground teams -- told our liability insurance doesn't cover them for other than first aid type activity).     

I'm still of the opinion that wings or regions as part of the SUI type activity should send in "testers" (personnel acting like they are potential new members) to various units to see how they will be treated as prospective members.
RM   

davidsinn

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 13, 2011, 12:29:51 AM
I'm still of the opinion that wings or regions as part of the SUI type activity should send in "testers" (personnel acting like they are potential new members) to various units to see how they will be treated as prospective members.

That's a good idea but don't do it as an SUI, do it yearly. Make it mandatory that a higher command must do it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Camas

That probably wouldn't work in a small wing as they probably know everyone on wing staff. Moreover I would think most units wouldn't appreciate spies from group or wing doing the "spy" thing on their units? Would any region members want to fool with doing something like this. Probably not. They'd have nothing in the regs to support them if a question came up.

RiverAux

Not a bad idea (though I would probably use relatively new members from other squadrons that haven't had any interactions with the squadron being tested).  However, I wouldn't even consider doing something like that without having first implemented a program to get all squadron commanders, recruiting, and personnel officers up to speed on recruiting best practices. 

However, it would probably require the guy going undercover to lie to the CAP members about various things and I'm not sure that is a good way to go. 

researchdoc

Quote from: RiverAux on February 13, 2011, 02:02:41 PM
However, it would probably require the guy going undercover to lie to the CAP members about various things and I'm not sure that is a good way to go.

I agree...  I think it would be a better idea if the "plant" was done incognito without publishing results... i.e. let the Wing, Region, or National HQs gather info to make changes to make it better... a fact finding mission to help the higher HQs to pass down different changes for improvement without embarrassing the SU or individual members.  We are a volunteer organization and embarrassing folks would just force a lot of folks away.  In my squadron, I have noticed potential members coming in with other SMs.  We have an R&RO and they are active, but do not come to meetings that much due to work commitments.  So the R&RO not being there physically, as a part of our marketing group, I try to spend the entire time with the potential member while they are at the meeting.  Even if I miss something in the meeting.. I can find out about that later.  I also introduce them as much as possible to the staff and other passing members, SMs and Cadets alike.  Then before they leave (and often after we take time with them they leave well after the meeting is over) I OFFER them the literature and if receptive, a print card and app along with my name, email address and phone number.  I have yet to get a call or email from them, but so far, all of them have joined.  I am not taking credit for them joining, not at all, but the squadron gets it for their participation in making them feel welcome.  There have also been times we have had cold calls... with folks just showing up not knowing anyone... so if I see any new face.. I always speak and take time.  Then get the ball rolling form them if they need. 
I think the majority of the problem is not that the squadron members purposely don't pay attention to someone new, or avoid it.  I think it is a lack of knowing what to do.  I think that it is just as important for CAP to spend time and effort for Recruiting education to its members as it does to its ES program.  Without members we would have no ES. 
I would like to see each squadron actually have an R&RO with a "group" of individuals (SM and Cadet) that are on a "Welcoming Committee" so if the R&RO is not there, someone else picks up.. or if they are there but the inquirer is a pilot, is introduced to a "Committee" member that is a pilot, or the like....
If it is a small squadron or a flight, then everyone is on the committee..
Would also be great to incorporate the other ideas on this thread.
Public Affairs Officer NC-022
22nd v2.0 Podcast:  http://burlcapcast.net.tf
NC-022 Website:  http://doubledeuces.org

FW

Quote from: Camas on February 13, 2011, 01:18:33 AM
That probably wouldn't work in a small wing as they probably know everyone on wing staff. Moreover I would think most units wouldn't appreciate spies from group or wing doing the "spy" thing on their units? Would any region members want to fool with doing something like this. Probably not. They'd have nothing in the regs to support them if a question came up.

I am reminded of something Gen Bowling used to do while he was the SER/CC and later, the CAP/CC.  He would come to various squadron meetings in TNWG dressed in casual attire.  He just wanted to observe a squadron, for no particular purpose.  Most members in the unit did not recognise the Gen. and some would come and introduce themselves asking if he were interested in joining.  At other squadrons, no one came up to him to say "hi".  If no one came up to him, he would introduce himself to the squadron commander and just thank him for letting him attend as a guest. 

The point is, we should be more friendly to those who come and sit with us during a meeting.  We probably will get and retain more members.

Eclipse

Sounds good on paper, and is a technique used commonly in business, especially for franchises and similar customer-focused enterprises.

Won't likely make much of a difference in a unit not interested in being open to outsiders.  Businesses have a mandate to keep customers happy and choices in their personnel.  In CAP, the odds are that a struggling unit also has little choice in finding someone better" - that is how they go there in the first place.

The need for a better commander does not materialize one from the air.  Some people will be open to change, many will not.

So then your choice is "change" or "close".  I make the argument that "close" might be the best choice, as attrition of empty shirts and members with incorrect attitudes is what we need to do to "fix" things, but program shrinkage is clearly not on NHQ's radar as part of the solution.

So then what?  Now you've just alienated someone who was a poor commander to start.

The core of the problem is expectations of performance that do not match the training provided, lack of regular oversight (most units operate in a vacuum) and / or higher HQ staff who know less about the program than their subordinates, lack of choice in commanders and staff, and lack of initiative in uncomfortable conversations.

You can't expect someone who took job as a last resort, receives no training as a commander, no oversight or constructive criticism, to somehow magically become Dick Winters by himself, especially when all he ever gets is a pile of administrative nonsense no one actually cares about, and nothing but complaints from higher HQ, with rarely a thank you, and more hassle on the rare occasion that he tries to put people in for a decoration or promotion.

I keep joking we need JJ Abrams to reboot CAP, but maybe we need Gordon Ramsey more - come in, clean out the freezers, fire the cook, decide if the place is really viable, and then simply make the necessary changes whether the organization likes it or not.  There will be tears, people will leave, and after the third commercial break we might be able to move forward.

"That Others May Zoom"

jks19714

I appeared at a CAP meeting last Thursday as a prospective new member.  Fortunately, I was accompanying a CAP member to the meeting, so I wasn't completely lost.  And it turned out that the Squadron Commander was an old friend from my volunteer firefighting days, as was the Lt who fingerprinted me. 

No one told me that I would need to make out a check though -- who carries a checkbook with the these days?   ::)

Next week...  Overall I had a good time - it was awards night at the cadet squadron, so it was nice to see a lot of smiling faces.

I am looking forward to getting a CAPID and getting some of these preliminaries out of the way.  The communications side of it looks very familiar as an Army MARS member.  Milcoms is milcoms (I think)...

john (W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAM3RE/AAA9SL)
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

KWRFLL

I'm very glad to hear of your positive experience.  It gives us all encouragement.

KWRFLL

As promised, I am providing this update.  Thanks to all of you for the advice and encouragement.  This past week I visited another squadron.  They were much more welcoming and seemed pleased to welcome a new prospective member.  I was ready to join but again there were no fingerprint cards at this squadron either.  I'm guessing that fingerprint cards must be a very hard supply to keep on hand.  I'll give it another shot next week and see if they can come through.  If not, I'll be off to visit yet another squadron.  I can't believe I'm working this hard to give my time and money away.

RiverAux

Many squadrons want someone to actually come to several meetings before they give them the fingerprint cards and an application.  Give enough of them away to people that you never see again and you learn to be a little stingy.  I'm not saying that is what happened here but most believe it is better to have someone get to know CAP and for CAP to get to know you before starting the enrollment process. 

Yes, you're giving up your time, but you are also asking others to give up their time in getting you enrolled and eventually training you so that you can do something useful for CAP.  Its not like those folks are paid either.  If the squadron you went to wasn't meeting in a CAP facility keep in mind that someone has to remember to bring fingerprint cards to the meeting every week on the off chance that someone walks in the door.  So don't give up on a squadron over something so trivial.

And get used to the paperwork.  CAP has a lot of it and like it or not it is what makes things work. 

a2capt

We keep finger print cards on file, we tend to not give them out until the second time they attend, and will process it at the end of the third meeting- in keeping with the suggested guidelines of new members coming in. But we do keep them on hand.

If you are visiting units that don't have a permanent meeting place I can see where the fingerprint cards may not be available always, as they would be elsewhere and not always carried as part of that portable file that comes in. Though they should be, they're not. To each their own way of doing things.

Eclipse

My guidance to units, and it is practiced in most of the wing, is three consecutive meetings and then we discuss membership.  My bigger squadrons then have membership boards after that to insure CAP is a good fit for the prospect and expectations are clear.

As to the fingerprint cards, they actually are in relatively short supply.  We don't pay for them, but what's the point of giving them out to someone who never comes back?

"That Others May Zoom"

KWRFLL

I an agree with and support the idea of requiring someone to attend 3 meetings prior to issuing a finger print card; in fact, I support this practice.  I would be willing to attend even more meetings if required; however, no one has yet explained this is a practice their squadron follows.  I would happily fulfill the requirements if I knew what they were and I knew what to expect.  I realize I may not be the typical prospective member as I have spent 2 months researching the internet and CAP websites prior to making this decision.  I understand that no one is paid in the organization and they will commit time and energy toward my membership, but I bring skills and talents to the organization as well. 

Please do not misunderstand, I am not giving up over the issue of fingerprint cards.  It just happens to be the first hurdle I am attempting to overcome and for something so small, it seems that it shouldn't be an issue.  As I stated before, I will return to the last squadron I visited as they are far more welcoming then the previous one I visited.  I can't wait to be able to post to this message thread that I have found a CAP home. 

In the mean time, I hope that this thread has possibly provided some insight to an opportunity for squadrons across the organization.  If allowed, I plan to develop a recruitment and new member program at whichever squadron I join.  The main ingredient of which will be an outline of the steps required to join the squadron and the expected timeline.

Thank you again for all the advice and support.  I'll follow up again next week.

LTC Don

Perhaps the squadron you have highlighted in your OP doesn't have a formal Recruiting Officer assigned.  It is a specialty track in the Professional Development (Senior Member Training Program) program.

After your experiences in trying so hard to join, perhaps you would like to tackle just the issues you have outlined in this thread  8)

As mentioned, some units do an awesome job of attracting and recruiting.  Others just outright suck at it....but what is more maddening is the spectrum between the two.

Here is the Specialty Track Study Guide for the Recruiting and Retention Officer:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P226.pdf

R and R isn't hard job per se, but it is a busy one, for there are always activities going on that could use a CAP presence of some sort to generate interest in CAP.

Our unit participates with our local airport and it's annual open house by providing support to their staff, and a rather large display.  We participate in other activities as we are able to.  All prospective members who come to one of our meetings is directed to the unit commander for an initial interview, and other members usually stop by to introduce themselves.  As mentioned, we also require a minimum attendance of three meetings before completing membership paperwork.

I'm a big fan of the Cadet Great Start program, but my local unit isn't favorable to implementing its components, mostly due to space limitations.....  :P  Squadrons that have dedicated, larger facilities with classrooms are better suited to full implementation of Great Start.  The Senior side of the house could use a Great Start type program as well.

The R and R officer should work very closely with the Public Affairs Officer.  One can never have too many assistants as well.

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

spacecommand

FEMA IS-100,200,700 & 800 courses as well as 240!

Don't burn yourself out before choosing what you want to do in CAP.  I joined thinking of working in Emergency Services, and now really enjoy doing Cadet Programs and Aerospace Education.

Our squadron doesn't do the "three meetings" thing.  Every squadron is different.  My suggestion is attend other meetings at other squadrons (if you can).

vento

Quote from: spacecommand on February 17, 2011, 04:35:39 PM
FEMA IS-100,200,700 & 800 courses as well as 240!

240 is news to me. What specialty or rating requires it? Thanks.

As for the numbers of meetings to observe (attend prior to application), most units requires at least two meetings, some units (including mine) requires three meetings. As matter of fact, the "Great Start Booklet for Adult Members Edition 1 JAN 08" strongly suggests two meetings (one plus one additional) in the New Senior Member Checklist.

KWRFLL

Quote from: vento on February 17, 2011, 05:16:31 PM

To my knowledge, IS-240 is not required by any Specialty Track.  It would be applicable though to anyone in a position of leadership and given the nature of CAP, I think everyone could benefit from taking the course.  It is a basic leadership course, but it will provide a fundamental basis from which larger programs can be developed.

Here is the link to the FEMA course:
http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is240a.asp

Eclipse

Another reason for three (+) meetings is that it is pretty hard to sustain BS on that level for either side.

Anyone can be on their best behavior for the first impression (only recruit on awards night, etc.), but by the familiarity of
multiple meetings the real ops tempo of the squadron, and real attitude of the potential member will start to come out.

Selling something to someone they don't need or can't use is how you alienate people.  The best salesmen know that
long-term relationships are better than quick sales and can differentiate between their customers.  Just as in how the
silence in music is just as important as the notes, weeding out those who don't belong in CAP is just as important as
high recruiting numbers, for everyone involved.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

Quote from: KWRFLL on February 17, 2011, 05:29:01 PM
Quote from: vento on February 17, 2011, 05:16:31 PM

To my knowledge, IS-240 is not required by any Specialty Track.  It would be applicable though to anyone in a position of leadership and given the nature of CAP, I think everyone could benefit from taking the course.  It is a basic leadership course, but it will provide a fundamental basis from which larger programs can be developed.

Here is the link to the FEMA course:
http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is240a.asp

CAP offers a myramid of courses similar to IS240 from, CAP OBC,  CAP Squadron Leadership School to Training Leaders of Cadets (TLC course), it's also discussed in many other CAP specific courses as well. 

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: KWRFLL on February 12, 2011, 02:44:48 PM
I am not looking to get anyone upset over my experience.  I can tell you I am from Texas, but I do not wish to divulge the group or squadron in a public setting.  I'm relieved and saddened at the same time to read through these posts and discover that this behavior is not unique to the squadron I approached.  I have not yet made up my mind as to my next course of action.  I do appreciate all the posts and advice.  I intend to post a follow up next week.

:clap: ;D If your in houston, we can get you in the most friendly squadron in all of TX wing.  ;)

meganite

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 17, 2011, 11:22:17 PM
:clap: ;D If your in houston, we can get you in the most friendly squadron in all of TX wing.  ;)

Man, I need to visit that side of the runway more often, to tell if that is true ;)

KWRFLL

Once again I am providing an update on my progress, or lack thereof.  I attended another squadron meeting this week.  The same squadron that seemed welcoming last week were far less so this week.  This was my second week of attendance and again there was nothing planned for the senior members.  I literally sat for 1 1/2 hours listening to the person in charge tell stories about their experiences flying corporate aircraft.  Several members made eye contact around the table but did not engage.  This was after listening to the person in charge disparage the work of neighboring squadrons and belittle the leadership just above the squadron commander and on up the chain of command.  Some comments made would be considered sexist in my place of business and would at the very least, earn you a trip to the Human Resources Department.  I overheard one perspective member stating their disappointment with this person and that they had decided not to join based on the unprofessional behavior witnessed.

Even still I decided to inquire about the ever elusive fingerprint cards, and once again, I was told that no one had any.  This time I was told the squadron commander, who was absent, was the only one with the cards.  I have been researching the Civil Air Patrol and its mission on the internet now for 2 months.  As I read these forums and information all over the internet, I believe and am inspired by the mission of CAP, but I'm starting to believe I am not going to find it in my area. 

I will visit this squadron one more time before I decide to move on to a third.  At this point I sincerely hope that some CAP commanders are reading this thread and determining ways to make their squadrons more inviting.  People who wish to volunteer their time, money, and expertise should not have to work to get into the organization, rather the organization should recruit to increase its membership and mission capability.  Thanks for reading and the encouragement.   I will follow up again next week.

vento

It's unfortunate that you couldn't even get a finger print card and had less than desirable experiences. In a way the multiple visits worked the way it was designed to do, to let you see and feel how a particular sqdn really acts.

By the way, the finger print card is the standard FBI FD-258 card. Even though almost everybody went digital, some local police department may still have them.

SarDragon

Keep in mind that the fingerprint cards need to have the correct CAP overprint. The last time I used a card w/o the overprint, it got kicked back. that was four or five years ago. A card acquired at the local police station will not be accepted for that reason.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jks19714

I went to my second CAP meeting last Thursday night.  I sat through a couple of "Death by Powerpoint" ES presentations for the cadets.  There is not mutch that I can do until my CAP number and card pop out of HQ.  I'm chomping at the bit to take the online courses for Level I. 

In the meantime, I've decided to study from my GROL (I'm a commo engineer and Extra-class ham, it's not difficult) so that I can be of some use once all of these boxes get checked and maybe speed-up the process.

-- john

Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

RiverAux

kwlfrr, if you're seeing a squadron with no training or planned meetings, I'd probably pass.  That is a sign of a squadron that has some issues of some kind or another.  Its possible it was just an off night (maybe a speaker couldn't make it), but I suspect not.  Try another unit if you've got the option.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: KWRFLL on February 24, 2011, 04:09:11 AM
Once again I am providing an update on my progress, or lack thereof.  I attended another squadron meeting this week.  The same squadron that seemed welcoming last week were far less so this week.  This was my second week of attendance and again there was nothing planned for the senior members.  I literally sat for 1 1/2 hours listening to the person in charge tell stories about their experiences flying corporate aircraft.  Several members made eye contact around the table but did not engage.  This was after listening to the person in charge disparage the work of neighboring squadrons and belittle the leadership just above the squadron commander and on up the chain of command.  Some comments made would be considered sexist in my place of business and would at the very least, earn you a trip to the Human Resources Department.  I overheard one perspective member stating their disappointment with this person and that they had decided not to join based on the unprofessional behavior witnessed.

Even still I decided to inquire about the ever elusive fingerprint cards, and once again, I was told that no one had any.  This time I was told the squadron commander, who was absent, was the only one with the cards.  I have been researching the Civil Air Patrol and its mission on the internet now for 2 months.  As I read these forums and information all over the internet, I believe and am inspired by the mission of CAP, but I'm starting to believe I am not going to find it in my area. 

I will visit this squadron one more time before I decide to move on to a third.  At this point I sincerely hope that some CAP commanders are reading this thread and determining ways to make their squadrons more inviting.  People who wish to volunteer their time, money, and expertise should not have to work to get into the organization, rather the organization should recruit to increase its membership and mission capability.  Thanks for reading and the encouragement.   I will follow up again next week.

I would certainly encourage you to not give up on CAP.  There are 1500 or so separate units, all have different personalities.  However, we seem to be able to do what we're supposed to.  If the organization was really that messed up, I doubt that we'd have so many people that have been members for 10+ 20+ 30+ 40+ and even 50+ years.

CAP is really a wonderful organization, and in many ways I wish that you were local to my unit - because I think you would join immediately.  Try and see if there is another unit you can join.  Even if it is a bit jacked up, you can still self-propel yourself into being an active, productive member despite your local command deficiencies. 

I know I'd be willing to answer whatever questions you might have.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill