Good outlets for Professional Development?

Started by Pylon, December 18, 2006, 09:25:29 PM

Pylon

Have others found excellent, external-to-CAP avenues of professional development for CAP members to augment their specialty areas?   What I mean are professional education seminars, conferences, and the like related to the specialty field as a whole?

For example, Public Affairs Officers might find it handy to attend seminars, luncheons, and classes put on by the local Public Relations Society of America chapter.  Not only would it be good information for any PAO, even one who does it for a living, but it also gives CAP PAO a chance to interact with peers from other organizations and share ideas.

Have many of you seen this done in various specialties in CAP?  Safety/Accident Prevention?  Public Affairs or Recruiting/Retention?   Historians?   Logistics?  Personnel (aka: Human Resouces)?   And so on...?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pylon on December 18, 2006, 09:25:29 PM
Have others found excellent, external-to-CAP avenues of professional development for CAP members to augment their specialty areas?   What I mean are professional education seminars, conferences, and the like related to the specialty field as a whole?

For example, Public Affairs Officers might find it handy to attend seminars, luncheons, and classes put on by the local Public Relations Society of America chapter.  Not only would it be good information for any PAO, even one who does it for a living, but it also gives CAP PAO a chance to interact with peers from other organizations and share ideas.

Have many of you seen this done in various specialties in CAP?  Safety/Accident Prevention?  Public Affairs or Recruiting/Retention?   Historians?   Logistics?  Personnel (aka: Human Resouces)?   And so on...?

We  have done some stuff with the RED CROSS to add to our skill sets. 

I wonder if some people from the University might extend an olive branch to us.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Monty

It's not outside the realm of possibilities that CAP officers can enroll in some of the career development courses (CDCs) of USAF airmen through AFIADL (the artist formerly known as ECI.)

Granted, there are conditions that must be met (e.g., can't be enrolled in more than one course at a time, time requirements) but I assure you that the CDC content is MANY times more thorough than the average "OJT" CAP mentoring that happens during meetings.  Public Affairs is a good example...knew a comrade that enrolled in the CDCs; best dang PA troop in CAP you ever did see!

Not mainstream...but certainly a good outlet for ProDev!

DNall

Quote from: msmjr2003 on December 18, 2006, 11:03:47 PM
It's not outside the realm of possibilities that CAP officers can enroll in some of the career development courses (CDCs) of USAF airmen through AFIADL (the artist formerly known as ECI.)

Granted, there are conditions that must be met (e.g., can't be enrolled in more than one course at a time, time requirements) but I assure you that the CDC content is MANY times more thorough than the average "OJT" CAP mentoring that happens during meetings.  Public Affairs is a good example...knew a comrade that enrolled in the CDCs; best dang PA troop in CAP you ever did see!

Not mainstream...but certainly a good outlet for ProDev!

That's good advice. I wish they'd incorporate more of that into the tracks.

I'm a cadet programs officer primarily, so I'm not sure this applies like it does to other fields. I do a lot of resource reading. I look to AF & other resources for training people & try to absorb & apply. The particular skill of the CP track is really just line officership, which there is a lot you can do to challenge yourself & become always better, but really the best thing is doing the job in the shadow of others (peers, superiors, & subordinates) who keep you challenged & moving full speed. I wish there were more of the outside professional networking opportunities like there are for other things.

By the way, if you're at such an event, make sure you have some brochures/business cards handy.

Pylon

Quote from: DNall on December 19, 2006, 04:13:10 AM
By the way, if you're at such an event, make sure you have some brochures/business cards handy.

Recruiting never stops.   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SAR-EMT1

DNall. I was a boy scout in my youth...and an assistant troop leader later on. so....
As far as training opportunities for CP is concerned the Boy Scouts, Boys and Girls Club of America and even the YMCA have weekend type training sessions for youth leaders. These cover various things depending on the group: first aid, how to befriend/relate to 'problem' children or those with single parents, mentorship, how to assist in selecting a college, insurance liability,  :D .... 
These are availible for little or no cost. And usually availible to outsiders if you express an interest. ... hope it helps.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DNall

^ Thanks. I was a LE exploerer all during HS, didn't hear about CAP till the end of that. Participated in & conducted many leadership development seminars there & of course the competitions there were the best way to interact with & set the high standard for other posts & frankly the attitudes other depts had toward their explorers. That was a fun little time now that I think back on it.

I don't really have a problem with cadets participating in such sessions. I know there is also some good training for adult junior leaders, but that stuff's so basic comapred to where a serious CP officer needs to be it's just not on the board.

I've tapped a lot of sources over the years in my pursuit of excellence in all I do, but a C/Maj I commanded at an activity back quite a few years ago now taught me a saying I'll never forget. That is, "Leadership is not taught, it's caught." You do have to do the reading, training, etc, but ultimately it's the interaction with peer groups (including what we're doing here) that continues to show you where the bar is & what aspects of which people you want to look to in meeting that challenge. I'm glad I'm taking SOS now, it does a good job of illistrating the neccessity of pursuit of the unattainable perfection & need to drive on toward that always.

There's some good sources though. The ATG (link) I think EVERYONE should read regardless of you role in CAP.