Did we ever fly the T-6 Texan/Harvard?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, March 07, 2014, 05:51:38 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I ask this because I found this on one of my favourite Microsoft Flight Sim sites:

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=382832

The description says it's for an Airfix model kit.

If we did, what was it used for?  Was it one of "those [darn]ed little yellow airplanes" dropping depth charges/bombs that the Kriegsmarine Admiral referred to?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

VNY

Quote from: CyBorg on March 07, 2014, 05:51:38 PM
I ask this because I found this on one of my favourite Microsoft Flight Sim sites:

If we did, what was it used for?  Was it one of "those [darn]ed little yellow airplanes" dropping depth charges/bombs that the Kriegsmarine Admiral referred to?

No, as it was still the advanced trainer at the time.  Squadron 35 had 6 of those at one point.  That group of aircraft still operates together but the got fed up with CAP and left to form their own organization.

LSThiker

The little red and yellow airplanes were mainly Fairchild 24s or Stinson 10s.  Unfortunately, I cannot view the link as it asks for a login, but there is a picture of CAP emblems on T-6s.  Some websites state that it is a WWII picture taken in Texas, but others say it is a picture taken by Sq 35 as referenced by VNY.  Did we officially ever have T-6s?  No, the closest we got were T-34 Mentors for SAR missions.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: LSThiker on March 07, 2014, 07:35:40 PM
The little red and yellow airplanes were mainly Fairchild 24s or Stinson 10s.  Unfortunately, I cannot view the link as it asks for a login, but there is a picture of CAP emblems on T-6s.  Some websites state that it is a WWII picture taken in Texas, but others say it is a picture taken by Sq 35 as referenced by VNY.  Did we officially ever have T-6s?  No, the closest we got were T-34 Mentors for SAR missions.

Low-wing T-34's for SAR?  That must have been an absolute devil for the observer/scanner.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA_SanFernan.htm

Go almost to the bottom of the page.....a photo of several T-6's with CAP tail flashes.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

rugger1869

sardak

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on March 07, 2014, 08:23:36 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on March 07, 2014, 07:35:40 PM

Low-wing T-34's for SAR?  That must have been an absolute devil for the observer/scanner.

Actually they were pretty good. The back seat is aft of the trailing edge of the wing.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: VNY on March 07, 2014, 06:59:31 PM

No, as it was still the advanced trainer at the time.  Squadron 35 had 6 of those at one point.  That group of aircraft still operates together but the got fed up with CAP and left to form their own organization.

I remember both Squadron 35 and 135 flying T-6's (135 was an offshoot of 35).  But I thought all of them were member owned. I've never been able to get anyone to say with certainty that "CAP had T-6s").

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on March 07, 2014, 08:33:19 PM
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA_SanFernan.htm

Go almost to the bottom of the page.....a photo of several T-6's with CAP tail flashes.

They had "Bug Smashers" (Expeditors) too?  Wow.

I noticed the part about the filming of "Baa Baa Black Sheep."  Inaccurate as can be compared to Pappy Boyington's book, but still one of the Must-See-TV shows of my grade school years back in the '70s.  I couldn't get enough of those Corsairs.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

4fhoward

I seem to remember from the old level one video of a BT-13 and a T-6 with the prop and triangle painted on the sides.  There was also "NY group" on the side of the plane.  The prop and triangle were not a sticker on the tail they were in place of the stars and bars.
If anyone still has the level one video could view it

a2capt

It must have recently rained for this photo, that ramp area looks like a dump.

As for a group that got "fed up", with CAP? I can see the Wing getting fed up with them ;) Too much avgas to run those things.  Things change. We're not an excuse to manage your flying club.

QuoteAccording to Ron Stearns, “By the very early 1960s, the [CAP] squadron grew to near 25 T-6/SNJ/Harvard aircraft, five T-28s and three C-45s.”
.. There are barely that many aircraft in the whole wing now. Somehow that had to be member owned.

PA Guy

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 08, 2014, 03:34:33 AM
Quote from: VNY on March 07, 2014, 06:59:31 PM

I remember both Squadron 35 and 135 flying T-6's (135 was an offshoot of 35).  But I thought all of them were member owned. I've never been able to get anyone to say with certainty that "CAP had T-6s").

All of the T-6s, T-28s were member owned.  Remember, back then member owned aircraft greatly out numbered corp aircraft and flew most of the missions.

PA Guy

Quote from: a2capt on March 13, 2014, 09:19:46 PM
It must have recently rained for this photo, that ramp area looks like a dump.

As for a group that got "fed up", with CAP? I can see the Wing getting fed up with them ;) Too much avgas to run those things.  Things change. We're not an excuse to manage your flying club.

QuoteAccording to Ron Stearns, “By the very early 1960s, the [CAP] squadron grew to near 25 T-6/SNJ/Harvard aircraft, five T-28s and three C-45s.”
.. There are barely that many aircraft in the whole wing now. Somehow that had to be member owned.

The Sqdn 35 HQ was a dump. It consisted of several Quonset Huts with lots of bamboo planted around them. They also had their own AVGAS storage tank and pump in an isolated part of the airport. They also had their own flight line just outside their HQ buildings Their T-6s guzzled gas and the oil level was 5 gals.

flyboy53

Did you guys notice the CAP C-45/Beach 18 in the one photo? That's really cool!

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: flyboy1 on March 14, 2014, 11:27:43 AM
Did you guys notice the CAP C-45/Beach 18 in the one photo? That's really cool!

I did notice the C-45 Expeditors, which I called "Bug Smashers" in a previous post.

The Royal Canadian Air Force and Royal Canadian Navy Reserves flew them...the RCAF guys had to go from the F-86 to the C-45.  Talk about daggers!

From this:

to this:

I think the "Bug Smasher" nickname may have originated with our northern neighbours...referring to the aircraft going so slow that it smashed bugs on the windshield.

I think that the AF used them post-WWII mostly as "hacks" with ANG units.

Anyway, I thought CAP units were not allowed to operate multi-engine birds(?)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

When I joined at the end of 2001, while member owned aircraft were still pretty much usable, there were some members that .. well, lets say that, I want to say it was an Aerostar, and several people were signed off as mission scanners after a few flights, and others of us got to ride in a Bell 47 on occasion when visiting the same flight line.. on weekends when training was going on. Stuff just kinda happened.

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on March 15, 2014, 05:18:46 AM
Anyway, I thought CAP units were not allowed to operate multi-engine birds(?)

There's no prohibition, in fact 60-1 has verbiage about multi-engine qualification.
They just aren't practical for CAP, since the number of average Joe-Sixers with multi engine rating is pretty
slim, not to mention they are expensive to maintain, expensive to run, and since cross-country transport
is a rarity in CAP, don't really fit the mission.

As to member-owned aircraft, clearly the credit CAP took, not to mention the "BITD Comfort" of old timers
was based on member-owned A/C.  Word is a unit we had up North had 15 aircraft in and of itself - member owned.

You might as well take credit for "member owned cars", while you're at it.

A member owned a/c might make you feel better numbers-wise, but it isn't a reliable asset in the way CAP
needs it to be, since Joe can just take it home or leave it sitting on the ramp at his whim.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on March 15, 2014, 05:37:16 AM
When I joined at the end of 2001, while member owned aircraft were still pretty much usable, there were some members that .. well, lets say that, I want to say it was an Aerostar, and several people were signed off as mission scanners after a few flights, and others of us got to ride in a Bell 47 on occasion when visiting the same flight line.. on weekends when training was going on. Stuff just kinda happened.

When I joined, I was given a business card with two sig lines.  Take the scanner ECI test, then one ride you're trainee, second ride you're qual'ed.

End of training.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Also, FWIW, I flew a Texan at one of those "Top Gun For A Day" schools.

I have about 4 hours of front-seat stick time, including "combat" with two kills, aerobatics, and formation flying (like tollway close with two other T-6s).

Yes, it was a huge cup of awesome, one of these days I will post the video here.

"That Others May Zoom"