How many hours a year does the typical CAP plane fly?

Started by simon, July 26, 2011, 06:09:46 AM

Thrashed

Yea, but some squadrons/groups lose pilots because they have no aircraft nearby. It's a catch 22. You can't fly a plane that isn't there. Our squadron is not big on flying because there is no aircraft within 1 hour drive. We've lost at least 3 pilots in the last year. I don't even try to recruit them anymore.

Save the triangle thingy

coudano

Quote from: EMT-83 on July 26, 2011, 06:57:24 PM
What's to be protective about? Sorry, it's a corporate asset.

Well one of many reasons is that suppose your squadron takes pristine care of your logs, maintenance, and keeps the airplane clean, full of gas, mission ready, and in good working order.

You rotate it around and it comes back to you trashed, dirty, full of bugs, (unreported and unresolved) mechanical problems, and with the documentation in disarray, and a half tank of gas.

That's a fine arrangement if you're the one just taking it for a few weeks on rotation, and giving it back (not my problem)

It's not so fine if you are the one pouring time, sweat, and energy into doing a really great job and having someone else trash it, and leaving it for you to fix / deal with.  That's the thing they're being protective of (the time, energy, and actual genuine care).  I guess that they should adopt the same attitude as everyone else "it's just a corporate asset" and trash it too...  yah that doesn't make sense either...

Quote from: ThrashWe've lost at least 3 pilots in the last year. I don't even try to recruit them anymore.

I"m actually advising a potential squadron to *avoid* recruiting pilots, for a forming cadet squadron.
The primary reason is that the area has a /history/ of complaining about never having an airplane assigned, or rotated, and pilots quitting (causing the squadrons there to flounder)

simon

QuoteIt's not so fine if you are the one pouring time, sweat, and energy into doing a really great job and having someone else trash it, and leaving it for you to fix / deal with.  That's the thing they're being protective of (the time, energy, and actual genuine care).

That's a reasonable point. We are fortunate that two aircraft close to our squadron, a G1000 and 1980's 182, both tend to be quite well looked after.

I will add that the 1980's 182 is very useful as it lifts 200lbs more than the G1000, which is no good in many cases when it is fueled up (It is kept at 64g usable) with three beefy CAP crew.