Main Menu

CAP wireless deals?

Started by Climbnsink, January 04, 2009, 09:18:56 PM

Climbnsink

Anybody get their wireless plan through with the CAP discount?  http://www.capwirelessonline.com/    Is it a good deal or not?   Moving back to the Boston area and I need to get with the modern world.  Thanks

IceNine

It's not much of a deal.

I get a much better deal on service by just going to the provider. Verizon offers 15% for CAP as military discount.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Timbo

Quote from: IceNine on January 04, 2009, 09:20:51 PM
I get a much better deal on service by just going to the provider. Verizon offers 15% for CAP as military discount.

But CAP is not military.  Isn't that stealing??  I don't see CAP listed as a discounted group when I googled for Verizon discounts.  I found corporate and military branch discounts, no where did it list CAP. 

Topic......a BIG NO on getting a phone through the CAP deal thingy.  In fact, I don't see why CAP is supporting sales for anything.   

Stonewall

Can't beat the deal I got...someone else foots the bill.

I remember when a CAP credit card came out with F-16s on it and 18.9% APR to boot.

I can't see CAP getting any real deal worth while and unless it supports the organization, I can't see making the effort to get the Verizon phone.
Serving since 1987.

IceNine

Verizon doesn't seem to care, so why would you?  They saw US Air Force Auxiliary on my ID card and said congrats on the 15% discount.

I don't think that bringing up the CAP is or is not equal to military is applicable in this instance.  Especially when that argument is brought up simply for the sake of argument. 

Some topics this one included need not be read into.

Quote from: Stonewall on January 04, 2009, 09:29:09 PM
Can't beat the deal I got...someone else foots the bill.

I remember when a CAP credit card came out with F-16s on it and 18.9% APR to boot.

I can't see CAP getting any real deal worth while and unless it supports the organization, I can't see making the effort to get the Verizon phone.

I had the same 15% on T-mobile, and I got something for Nextel (can't remember now what it was)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

N Harmon

I picked up a mil-spec samsung rugby phone, free, with 2 year contract via capwirelessonline.com. No mail in rebate nonsense either. AT&T's website charges $179 before a $50 mail in rebate.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

JAFO78

Check out Metro PCS. Not sure about area coverage. One of my sons has it and pays $60 a month for 1K min. Nights, Weekends free, plus texting, and internet.

Only problem he has had is with his phone after it got wet in his locker at work. He loves the service and is getting new phone soon. He did not have the insurance coverage for replacement.
JAFO

N Harmon

Quote from: Rob Goodman on January 05, 2009, 04:13:48 PMOnly problem he has had is with his phone after it got wet in his locker at work. He loves the service and is getting new phone soon. He did not have the insurance coverage for replacement.

Well, the insurance isn't much to write home about. I recently had a bad experience with them, and have decided to "self-insure" my phones from now on.

Timbo

Quote from: N Harmon on January 05, 2009, 05:09:03 PM
Quote from: Rob Goodman on January 05, 2009, 04:13:48 PMOnly problem he has had is with his phone after it got wet in his locker at work. He loves the service and is getting new phone soon. He did not have the insurance coverage for replacement.

Well, the insurance isn't much to write home about. I recently had a bad experience with them, and have decided to "self-insure" my phones from now on.

+1.  With deductibles at 50-75 dollars per claim, plus fees associated with actually getting the phone replacement, plus the 5 to 10 dollar per month insurance premium, it actually is a rip off.  Say you have a new phone, it breaks 20 months into your 24 month contract:

$5.00 (monthly insurance premium) x 20 (months) = $100.00
$100.00 + $50.00 (insurance deductible) = $150.00
Then depending on your carrier you may be hit with an activation fee as well.  So bottom line you are looking at low end $150.00, high end of $200.00

And with most insurance plans they make you get the same phone, or the model that your phone was upgraded to.  At almost 2 years out of getting your new phone, that phone most likely became the cheap phone that you can buy outright for $100.00 to $150.00

I do not even recommend getting the insurance just so "you can get a new battery" every year.  You still pay a deductible when you want your new battery, and usually the new batteries are only $50.00 to $60.00 themselves. 

As far as the CAP wireless thing, that a huge NO.  being able to actually pick up a phone and decide if it feels right in your hand, and against your head is important.   

N Harmon

Quote from: Timbo on January 05, 2009, 08:40:40 PMThen depending on your carrier you may be hit with an activation fee as well.  So bottom line you are looking at low end $150.00, high end of $200.00

My motorola Q took a dump and I needed it replaced pronto. My deductible was $50, and they sent me a refurbished phone. That's right, a consarn re furb. Oh, and the refurb was DOA to my house. Called up the insurance company...she says that'll be another $50. NO WAY. I tell her she can keep the phone and I want my original $50 back and will reverse the credit card charge if I have to. She says she'll "waive the deductible this time", meaning they'll send me yet another phone to replace the non-working phone they sent me to replace my original phone.

The second was also a refurb, which lasted a whole month before taking a dump again. I cut my losses and jumped ship to another provider.

QuoteAs far as the CAP wireless thing, that a huge NO.  being able to actually pick up a phone and decide if it feels right in your hand, and against your head is important.

That's understandable. I guess I really don't care how a phone feels against my head. After all, I spent almost two years carrying around a Moto Q.  :P